The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Jack Guzman 12-27-2013 09:18 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

I got my radiator back from getting recored. I slid it down into position and tried to start the first bolt and it wouldn't line up. I looked closer at the mounting flange and it just doesn't make sense so I removed the radiator again to look it all over. It seems that my radiator isn't the factory original.Someone in the past replaced it and did a little modification to make it fit.When they recored the radiator,the bracket went back on slightly different and totally threw off the makeshift modifications. So I did some modifying of my own and finally I got it in.
Then I went to replace the hoses. The upper hose fit fine but the lower one wasn't even close. The hose I bought was 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" and the water pump has a 1 7/8" o.d.outlet. So I had to go to the local Napa and get the nice guy behind the counter to crawl around in his stock shelves to find something that would work.
Cleaned up the heater box and reassembled it and ran the new heater hoses.
Anyhow, at the end of the day it's all together and I'll be running my motor tomorrow. All I need now to drive my truck for the first time is to get the new tires mounted.---Jack:chevy:

Nordic 12-28-2013 02:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Back together and running!!

vht 12-28-2013 08:03 PM

Looks good Nordic, I got all the 4 bar set up in, welded and all bolted up. Might set the cab on tomorrow and get it out of the middle of the floor.

arturo7 12-28-2013 08:27 PM

Did some work on the panel body. Cut off a rusted-out portion of the rear bed support and prepped the interior for paint. There were bits of dried asphalt between the ribs and the roof. Seriously. How does somebody get asphalt in there?

STOCKISH 12-28-2013 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the rear half of my tube chassis finished up with the C4 IRS and mocked up some body panels to determine ride height. Coming along slowly but surely!

youngrodder 12-28-2013 10:46 PM

I really like that way those Camaro wheels look. Progress.

Marc

youngrodder 12-28-2013 10:48 PM

I made some floor supports for my 53 Suburban and made some cardboard floor board templates to start on replacing the floors with some 16g sheet metal I picked up.

Marc

Clarance J 12-30-2013 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today Clarance J got the passenger door glass and wind wing put in him. Yahoo. This side was a lot easier because I made most of the mistakes on the drivers door. While the glass was out I put the tint on. Glad I got this done. One more thing I can check off the list.

Earl

OrrieG 12-30-2013 06:33 PM

Looks good, I have had a few of those learning redos, and it does go faster the second time!

vht 12-30-2013 07:02 PM

Ordered the cab bolt, mount kit. Afriend brought me a 5.3 I'm going to use for mock up, plus I sold the rest of the 2000 trk I bought that I'm getting the 6.0, harness, pcm and some more parts off of. That sure helped.

mechanixman 12-31-2013 10:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Bought a 400 ci Small block yesterday.
Did the engine swap in single digit weather.

Nev68 12-31-2013 06:49 PM

Wow, are you keen or what?! Well done.
Just to make you feel a little colder it was around 88 deg. F here at midnight.
Happy New Year. :chevy:

OrrieG 12-31-2013 06:50 PM

Sent off payment for one piece door window glass, thanks to tbrown5079. Also ordered manual door actuators and purchased fuel filler hose and wiper fluid hose. Going to order the interior fabric too.

Dan in Pasadena 12-31-2013 08:01 PM

Crap Nick, you're hardcore! Congrats on doing the work. Can you even FEEL your fingers anymore?

I actually drove my heap over to the traditional New Year's Eve morning Rose Parade route cruise down Colorado Blvd. I've lived here 14 years now and had never done this. Took a looong time. Just abut an hour from the gathering point at Michillinda & Foothill to Suicide Bridge. Didn't do the return trip I just kept going to my daughter's new house in Eagle Rock.

But getting out in it really gets my "juices going" to work on it some more. She liked the tank of fresh premium and getting blown out running down the freeway coming back.

Daze57 01-01-2014 01:10 AM

nuttin - had to work all day today !!!!!

Jack Guzman 01-01-2014 06:41 AM

Picked up my wheel(3 others are done) at the sandblaster but it was too pitted. Gotta find a decent fourth wheel somewhere. It's been too cold to work on the truck. It's in a tent and no heat source. Temps have been right around 10 deg. I can stand the cold,especially if I dress for it but handwork is impossible. Ever try to thread a 1/4-20 nut on a bolt wearing heavy gloves? Maybe I can heat up the tent somehow.---Jack

mechanixman 01-01-2014 12:23 PM

ha ha Thanks Guys
Our garage is just as flimsy as a tent - absolutely no insulation value whatsoever. I was having the same problem ,as you said, with handwork. We bought a kerosene heater from menards for $100 on sale. It says it'll warm a 25'X45' room. It hasn't ever heated my garage, but if you keep it close, it'll keep you warmer. When it gets bellow zero, I keep the heater on full, and periodically warm my hand/gloves on it.

One of these suckers
http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...069-c-6862.htm

nvrdone 01-01-2014 04:53 PM

Took the truck out for a ride. It's a clear, beautiful day in Seattle.
Stopped & took pictures of the truck. Now I just need to figure out how to post them.
Happy New Year to all. May 2014 be much better than 2013.

oldman3 01-01-2014 06:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I decided to take mine out for a ride today. It was overcast, buy 45*, hadn't been out in a couple months. Here's a couple pics from inside running down the highway...Jim

mechanixman 01-02-2014 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A whole lot of shoveling!
This is our back yard...

tbrown5079 01-02-2014 06:42 PM

Marked the doors for the Porsche mirrors I got, made a list of things to still be done ( it's still pretty long but mostly one or two day jobs ), patching and filling holes in the lower cowl by the cab mounts to make sure I don't get water where I don't want it. Looking forward to getting to the paint shop.

msaintg 01-02-2014 06:47 PM

I took the '47 to the junk yard today to get parts for my other truck. You should of seen the guys eyes at the junk yard when he said "we won't have any parts for that truck". well, duh, priceless. :)

panelrodder81 01-03-2014 03:12 PM

I finally built my trans xmember and got the hole in the firewall drilled for the LS engine harness to pass through to the cab. Next is lengthen some of the wires and get the ecu and fuse panel mounted.

-Panelrodder

blue57 01-03-2014 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started to pull mine apart to get it blasted so I can send it to the body shop
Attachment 1195136

msilva12 01-04-2014 12:10 AM

I got my seats mounted. I used the third row Tahoe seats mounted on some early 80's electric seat frames. Wired up my headlights, tail lights and brake lights.

I took the truck out for the first time today. Went out for dinner and it got dark. Turn lights on and made it about 200 yards before they started flickering on and off. Of course a police officer was right there.

I disconnected it from the switch on the side of the road and hooked it up directly to the fuse panel ran with the lights hot all the way home. (20 miles)

After I fix the lights the right way I need to hook the heater up.

Still nice to drive it finally.