The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

89AKurt 10-29-2021 12:40 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 8989369)
4 corners Arizona or Utah

Awesome guess, it's in Utah, but Monument Valley is on the border.
Here is on the way, in AZ.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a3bc3920_c.jpg

89AKurt 10-29-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8989629)
I'll guess Monument Valley. Except for the patina - and the folding chair - it could have been taken 50 years ago! (I can't quite see the license plates but I'm assuming they're vintage.)

My telephoto lens makes it look closer, but it's about 20 miles as the Eagle flies. This picture is much closer. I have a '69 AZ front plate, and copper Historic.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...475da503_c.jpg

DransportGarage 10-29-2021 02:20 PM

Castle Valley?

MiraclePieCo 11-17-2021 04:11 AM

Today I learned a valuable lesson.

When doing some maintenance on my cooling system I discovered my radiator drain plug was clogged with thread sealant. Hoping to blow it out, I removed the radiator cap and put an air gun on the drain plug.

What a cleanup nightmare. 150 psi will move a lot of coolant fast and high. I think antifreeze is still dripping from my garage ceiling...

youngrodder 11-17-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8996759)

When doing some maintenance on my cooling system I discovered my radiator drain plug was clogged with thread sealant. Hoping to blow it out, I removed the radiator cap and put an air gun on the drain plug.

What a cleanup nightmare. 150 psi will move a lot of coolant fast and high. I think antifreeze is still dripping from my garage ceiling...

Maybe its just me but it seems like you can never wash coolant off. After several attempts I still feel slimy.

Marc

_Ogre 11-17-2021 01:37 PM

ouch, i feel for you mpc

mick53 01-24-2022 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished building the O'Reilly Auto Parts store I've been working on so I have some time to get back on the truck. I made a transmission mount for the engine stand so I could mount the transmission to the engine. I also repolished the bell housing. It was the first thing I ever polished. Like something else when I was young I was pretty impressed with myself the first time but after getting more experience and looking back it wasn't that impressive.

vintovka 01-24-2022 10:45 AM

Think engine/trans/stand merit showcasing in your living room or mancave!!!!

jweb 01-24-2022 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I let a friend use my truck in his booth at a local car show. Had to replace my battery for it to start but it was 10 years old any way.

MARTINSR 01-25-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

OH DAMN!

I will never forget working on my mother-in-laws (ex) Pinto, around 1982 changing the radiator and forgetting to tighten the drain plug! It was late after working all day long trying to make a living at my shop. I drove off with the coolant leaking out. Was going down the freeway about 8 miles away when the motor started knocking and froze up! I coasted off the freeway and right off the exit was a gas station and a tow truck was getting gas! He towed the Pinto back to my shop. I let it cool down and refilled it with coolant. Changed the Thermostat that was fried shut. It had a funky little "knock" but I drove it to their house and gave them the key. Geeeez I never could look at that car in their garage without wanting to vomit. The day they traded it in on a new car was one of the best days of my life.

Brian

MARTINSR 01-25-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9023701)
I finished building the O'Reilly Auto Parts store I've been working on so I have some time to get back on the truck. I made a transmission mount for the engine stand so I could mount the transmission to the engine. I also repolished the bell housing. It was the first thing I ever polished. Like something else when I was young I was pretty impressed with myself the first time but after getting more experience and looking back it wasn't that impressive.

OHHHHHHHHHHH damn that's awesome! :metal::metal::metal::metal:

Brian

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:26 PM

just a heads up to anybody doing coolant stuff, the system is usually only gonna take the pressure of something close to what is specified on the rad cap or other damage can occur, blown seals, hoses or their quick connects, gaskets rad core solder joints, or, if you have a heater core, it will likely blow a tube or an end cap off. I have seen guys flush their cooling systems with the garden hose as well. just remember that the garden hose pressure is likely around 65 psi, good to check that first or gate back the supply and flow water before you install the hose onto the system and then remove the nozzle from the system before you restart again so pressure can't build in the hose when the nozzle is shut off.

1project2many 01-25-2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

Sir, that is not good. Antifreeze does not really dry out well, either.

One of the mechanics here in the shop failed to close a valve on the oil drain bucket and created a sludge rocket that shot to the ceiling of our steel building fast enough to escape Earth's gravity. Instead of hitting the metal roof it hit 14" of fiberglass insulation and 3" of foam. Much less oil came back than what was launched.

Years later we can still smell oil when the roof gets hot in the summer.

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:31 PM

when I worked as a heavy duty mechanic in fort mcmurray i was sent out to the filed to change a block heater on a big track hoe. they couldnt shut it off due to minus 40C. that was a mess with hot coolant running down as I took the old heater out and quickly screwed in the new one. yeah, coolant seems to be greasy for a long time after, even after washing the clothes they seemed to feel wrong against my tender skin, haha.

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:33 PM

mick53, that is a very impressive set up you have there. great attention to detail

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:42 PM

1 project, my son did something like that in my shop when he was working on his new to him motorcycle. he was doing a tune up and did a compression test to start with. dry test was good but the wet test with oil in the cylinders was only good for the first cylinder, when he went to test number 2 the oil from number one cylinder came out of the upward facing spark plug hole at light speed. all over my shop ceiling, him, his bike, and everything in the vicinity got well lubed when it rained back down from the drywalled cieling. even spray nine left a stain that stayed as a humorous reminder when we re in the shop together. funny now, not that much back then. haha

washington blue 01-27-2022 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made sure all the bolts and holes fit together.

Chopped53 01-31-2022 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cleaned out interior, applied Hush Mat, flipped door handle mechanism upside down to fit into slot in door (so door panels fit better). Got a frame and foam package from Tea's Seats and mounted arm rests from 1953 Chev passenger car. Delivered to upholstery shop. Now I wait....

mick53 01-31-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopped53 (Post 9027746)
Cleaned out interior, applied Hush Mat, flipped door handle mechanism upside down to fit into slot in door (so door panels fit better). Got a frame and foam package from Tea's Seats and mounted arm rests from 1953 Chev passenger car. Delivered to upholstery shop. Now I wait....

That seat is cool. Did you make that?

62 Barnfind 01-31-2022 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 9023802)
I let a friend use my truck in his booth at a local car show. Had to replace my battery for it to start but it was 10 years old any way.

Love the color of your truck! What color is that?

Chopped53 01-31-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9027789)
That seat is cool. Did you make that?

I got it from a company called TEA's Design Inc.. They do some nice stuff. I was happy with the quality of the materials and workmanship.
Here's the website: https://teasdesign.com/

fauXGT 02-13-2022 09:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One step closer to being done with the mods to the bed. Then move back to the cab.

mick53 02-16-2022 02:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I needed to add the rest of the holes in my oil pan. It has a 1/2" flange and I'm sure the 3 bolts down the side and the 4 corners would be fine. I'm running a vacuum in my crankcase. I don't like empty holes for housekeeping reasons and I need all the holes for the girdle. It's a little scary cutting on my $1800 oil pan. I used transfer punches to make the holes and then flattened the welds on the mill.

G&R's57GMC 02-17-2022 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Walked by it and made sure that nothing has changed in the last 5 years by its self sitting there in it's corner of the garage :)

Although a couple of days ago I took a picture of the seat to door area and posted it here. (that will teach me to not be laying down on the job) :)

Rickysnickers 02-18-2022 11:03 AM

Would you stop posting the same twisted photo?? HAHAHAHAHA!!! Only kidding :)

my56chevytruck 02-21-2022 10:19 AM

with the snow still around here, I started it up the other day and listened to it purr. Can't wait for spring in NW Indiana.

mick53 02-22-2022 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my56chevytruck (Post 9040758)
with the snow still around here, I started it up the other day and listened to it purr. Can't wait for spring in NW Indiana.

I live in Warsaw where are you?

R&B51 02-23-2022 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9041839)
I live in Warsaw where are you?

mick53-I never get tired of seeing pics of that engine-amazing work!
You’ve gotta be really enjoying the process. What’ll you do with yourself when it’s all done?

fauXGT-I really like your work on that exposed filler inside the bed-did you fab that yourself? If so, how did you make the curved trim around the base?
Posted via Mobile Device

mick53 02-23-2022 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm almost 65 years old. I have put off my retirement to finish this truck. I bought my truck in 1980 when I got out of the Navy. I'm trying to build the ultimate drag and drive truck. If I live long enough I'm going to drive the wheels off her. I got the 20 A/N radiator hose fitting for my mechanical water pump. I also have a hortazontal drag radiator with an electric pump going between the frame rails. Water pump is finally done. One piece at a time. I'm an*l about buying American but I couldn't find the 20 A/N fitting for the radiator hose American made so it came from Australia. My electric A/C also came from down under. Thank you for your time.

R&B51 02-23-2022 12:16 PM

I’m right behind you in age and I hope I live long enough to see a video of that engine ripping down a track with fermented American dinosaur juice, raging compressed winds and a blue bolt of lightning inside each cylinder head exploding to rip rubber off those American made tires as you go! (Maybe post Old Glory in the bed and watch her fly horizontally as well).
I’m naïve to possibilities, I’m not trying to get sappy or blow wind up your a** but your engine build is beyond what I know or realized was done. Never saw AN fittings that big- good old Army Navy.

my56chevytruck 02-26-2022 10:36 AM

[quote=mick53;9041839]I live in Warsaw where are you?[/quote

Hebron, IN

mick53 02-26-2022 10:39 PM

[quote=my56chevytruck;9043453]
Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9041839)
I live in Warsaw where are you?[/quote

Hebron, IN

Hebron is about 85 miles west of me and I have never heard of it before. I have lived here for about 45 years of my life. Maybe I should get out more.

mick53 03-04-2022 01:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm getting closer to finishing the polishing on the inside of my blower scoop. This is a bit harder than expected. It was pretty rough on the inside. This is a quality piece from The Blower Shop. I have a friend in top fuel that always teases me for polishing my parts so I told him I was porting it.

duramax55 03-04-2022 10:41 PM

mike 53 that's a lot off dirty work but nice job. will need really dark sunglasses to look at that motor in the sunlight

mr48chev 03-04-2022 10:50 PM

Mick, you are going to be able to give Andy Tant a run for his money in the polishing game .

mick53 03-05-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 9046411)
Mick, you are going to be able to give Andy Tant a run for his money in the polishing game .

This is the last piece and then the blower is done. I'm really getting tired of polishing. It should warm up here soon and I can get to work on the chassis and maybe grow some fingerprints back.

mobileortho 03-05-2022 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mounted the fuel rail and some of the connectors. Figured out that the injector wiring harness was not included in the “kit”.

mick53 03-11-2022 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm getting closer on polishing the inside of my scoop. I'm about 2/3 the way done blocking it with 220 grit. For me hand blocking it flat makes all the difference, That's also the most work. I have an artificial wrist compliments of the VA so I can only do in about 1 hour spurts. The nice thing about this forum is that people are not rude and make fun of me. Not that it phases me. Thank you for your time.

fauXGT 03-11-2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9050226)
I'm getting closer on polishing the inside of my scoop. I'm about 2/3 the way done blocking it with 220 grit. For me hand blocking it flat makes all the difference, That's also the most work. I have an artificial wrist compliments of the VA so I can only do in about 1 hour spurts. The nice thing about this forum is that people are not rude and make fun of me. Not that it phases me. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for your service.
And 2.
A nice smooth air 'intake' is fantastic. But once it comes to combining fuel and air together, a slightly rougher surface can cause a ventury effect blending the 2 together for better fuel and air mixture... and more power.
Nice to see the shine inside and out though, being most would ignore that detail.

Oldtruckwelder 03-12-2022 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welded (14 ) 1/4 x 1-1/2 studs on polished stainless steel bed angle strip covers So the screw heads won’t show. Now the task of polishing begins.
JT from SC