The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MiraclePieCo 05-17-2019 04:17 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8526949)
Not the greatest pic, but I made a 80+ mile round trip in the truck after work. I need an overdrive...

Nice! Open road!

2500 RPM at 60 mph seems perfect to me, but then again I live in a mountainous area where one doesn't want the constant up-and-down shifting that an OD automatic does on steep grades. That's why I replaced the 700R4 I initially had in my panel truck with a TH350.

oldman3 05-17-2019 08:57 AM

Mark, glad you could get out and drive...Jim

Black_Sheep 05-17-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8527067)
Mark, glad you could get out and drive...Jim

Me too Jim, trying to gain confidence in the build so I can drive to my brothers grave site in southern Minnesota without worry. The day is coming soon...

MiraclePieCo 05-17-2019 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More small improvements. I finally found one of the early '47-'48 style cast front hood emblems to replace my rusty stamped steel original. I'll probably paint the letters black eventually.

oldman3 05-17-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8527250)
Me too Jim, trying to gain confidence in the build so I can drive to my brothers grave site in southern Minnesota without worry. The day is coming soon...

Mark, I know what you mean, the farther you drive the better you feel about your build, then you don't have to worry about "did I tighten all the bolts and nuts". You built a great truck, enjoy...Jim

idbeast 05-18-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8527250)

I'm sure he has been watching from above with a grin from ear to ear!!!

idbeast 05-18-2019 12:51 AM

I got brake fluid to all 4 calipers, and only had 3 leaks in all the new brake line pluming, 2 of which were on the master cylinder to proportion valve lines. I used a vacuum bleeder, so tomorrow I'll have my wife step on the brakes and re-bleed everything and double check all the fittings.

MARTINSR 05-18-2019 01:22 AM

I was dead on the couch tonight we are talking asleep watching a Hockey game. Just didn't imagine I could get out there and get anything done. I haven't been talking my evening walks as I have for the last 5 years and just HAD TO do that. So I got up and took a little walk, on the short side, about 2 miles. I got back with a little spark, went out to the garage for my five minutes and ended up getting all four door hinges ready for primer prep. You know how they have a metal cover on these trucks, those were all bent up and I was able to repair every one of them to metal finish without any bondo and ready for primer. WHOOOO HOOOOO! I did something!

Brian

la hi 05-18-2019 04:39 AM

I lost the 55-59 forum somehow! These postings are mostly 54 and under. Did the postings for tri-five move or did they dry up?

DransportGarage 05-18-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la hi (Post 8527569)
I lost the 55-59 forum somehow! These postings are mostly 54 and under. Did the postings for tri-five move or did they dry up?

WE dried up. All of us '55-'59 owners are sitting in our rockers staring at our truck parts, trying to remember what fits where.

(Seriously, there is no forum dedicated to '55-'59. This is it: the '47-'59 forum. The '55-'59 folks are all working on their stuff instead of gabbing on the forum. I'm going to go out to the garage after another cup of coffee and put my door hinges in. I don't post much anymore since Snapfish broke my photo account and I can't edit/fix my build thread.)

mobileortho 05-18-2019 05:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Removed another leaf from the rear (the three main ones remain). Can’t go any lower with this rim/tire combo.

MiraclePieCo 05-18-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 8527783)
Removed another leaf from the rear (the three main ones remain). Can’t go any lower with this rim/tire combo.

Just right!

MiraclePieCo 05-18-2019 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More puttering.

Got out my touch-up brushes and hand painted the logos in my hood emblem. Much better!

MARTINSR 05-18-2019 10:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got somewhere today with the hood. Been thinking about it and thinking about it and starring at it and starring at it and talking about it and talking about it! Today I walked out there and cut that sucker in half and removed the 2" strip. I got something happening!
Good:
It' started, looking good.
Bad: I am blown away that the cab is sectioned 2.5 inches and I cut the hood 2" and it looks like I should have left some at the front. I thought about it, thought about bringing the front down to an inch and a half or so to leave me metal to work with bringing the smaller top to the larger bottom. I didn't, and you can see that I should have! Oh well, There is a very good chance I am going to have to fab a strip of metal go make the two match anyway, so I guess it will end up being a moot point but damn I wish I had left another half inch to work with. The funny thing is at the cowl it doesn't look like it will even 2.5 inches! It looks like it will be less than that, odd the cowl is 2.5 but it really looks like the hood will be cut a little less than that, hmmmm.
I installed the hood bumpers on it, the fenders are aligned and all that just in case you are wondering.
So I have a 2" strip of the hood if anyone you know is wanting to return a sectioned hood back to stock, the price is right.

Brian

crossfire84 05-18-2019 10:45 PM

I really like it, I have 2 more hoods that I want to try it. I saw in a few magazines that 1 1/2" is the magic number, keep up the good work.:metal:

MARTINSR 05-18-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire84 (Post 8527959)
I really like it, I have 2 more hoods that I want to try it. I saw in a few magazines that 1 1/2" is the magic number, keep up the good work.:metal:

Understand that the cab is sectioned 2.5 inches.

Brian

Black_Sheep 05-18-2019 11:26 PM

Cleaned all of the bugs off after Wednesday night's drive and threw the cover back on. Rain through the weekend and into next week.

MiraclePieCo 05-19-2019 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8527941)
I got somewhere today with the hood. Been thinking about it and thinking about it and starring at it and starring at it and talking about it and talking about it! Today I walked out there and cut that sucker in half and removed the 2" strip. I got something happening!

That took guts!

idbeast 05-19-2019 02:55 AM

I didn't have the guts of MARTINSR but I did get the old lady to help bleed the brakes! Then I found and got the gas pedal installed and adjusted, then while looking for the gas pedal found a new carpet for truck, so I set it in place just to see! then I crawled around installing some wiring under the dash, and the got the cruise control turn signal lever out to install in the Ididit Column tomorrow.

MiraclePieCo 05-19-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8527941)
Good:
It' started, looking good.
Bad: I am blown away that the cab is sectioned 2.5 inches and I cut the hood 2" and it looks like I should have left some at the front. I thought about it, thought about bringing the front down to an inch and a half or so to leave me metal to work with bringing the smaller top to the larger bottom. I didn't, and you can see that I should have! Oh well, There is a very good chance I am going to have to fab a strip of metal go make the two match anyway, so I guess it will end up being a moot point but damn I wish I had left another half inch to work with. The funny thing is at the cowl it doesn't look like it will even 2.5 inches! It looks like it will be less than that, odd the cowl is 2.5 but it really looks like the hood will be cut a little less than that, hmmmm.
I installed the hood bumpers on it, the fenders are aligned and all that just in case you are wondering.
So I have a 2" strip of the hood if anyone you know is wanting to return a sectioned hood back to stock, the price is right.

Brian

Brian: I think your hood slope is nearly perfect. Why don't you just make some relief cuts in the lower part at the front and tap it in to meet the upper part?

DransportGarage 05-19-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8528048)
Brian: I think your hood slope is nearly perfect. Why don't you just make some relief cuts in the lower part at the front and tap it in to meet the upper part?

...like I said in post #3176, more or less. Lookin' GREAT !!

MARTINSR 05-19-2019 02:13 PM

That's basically what I am going to do. The thing is the top may need to come down a bit further to meet the bottom. Remember it's sitting right on top of it now in the photo and they are a half inch apart! So bending them out and in to match, there will still be a gap between them so the top will need to come down a bit more. THAT was the mistake I made, should have left more, I thought a half an inch was enough, and it wasn't.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 05-19-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8528065)
...like I said in post #3176, more or less. Lookin' GREAT !!

Sorry I stole your idea. But great minds think alike!

DransportGarage 05-19-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8528227)
Sorry I stole your idea. But great minds think alike!

No, it's all good! It's just that I seldom get things right... :lol:

MARTINSR 05-20-2019 01:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok...............................I got to working on the hood and have decided to go in a different direction. You can see from my first few photos I have marked the center of the hood up on the cowl, marked and cut a few relief vertical cuts. I then split the hood into pieces so I could work with one piece at a time. Then after working with these pieces a bit bending at the relief cut and wrestling with it, I have decided to go a whole different direction. As many people have suggested I am going to bring the top forward, and split the front out to line up that cut around the front. I will then tack it here and there, bolt the rear of the upper pieces together and then once it's tacked into place I will split the front center, cutting it along the body line where the center moulding goes as I plan on using it. I will bring the center strip together and filling the gap to the sides of the it. I will then add to the rear of the hood making it long enough. I didn't want to do all these welds out in the center of the hood but heck, I ran the seam through the middle of the roof gas welding it with zero warpage I can pull this off damn it!

Brian