The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

D-man313 02-24-2014 12:04 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Changed the keychain. Waiting till weather to break so i can drive it!

capnduane 02-24-2014 10:02 PM

Headed Red Ryder out and up and over Redlands pass to San Timiteo canyon and then on over to Beaumont, and took a old friend to breakfast. Not far, but this road has become a shortcut for the commuters headed for LA and Orange Co. They all are late and you better not get in their way with a old slow pickup. "You don't know what I got" He He He.... The big Poncho just purrs at 50 mph, and so do I! Truck ran great over and back and the biscuits and gravy were delicious.

SCHRUMGMC 02-24-2014 10:27 PM

Tried all day getting the Door handle bolts out but no luck as one of the bolts is stuck because its really rusty. Ughh and the Ignition bezel won't come off

CMACDONALD1 02-27-2014 05:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
pulled the interior out and put some second skin down on the floor to keep some of the heat and noise out. I also drilled some holes to mount some seatbelts in it.

OrrieG 02-27-2014 05:28 PM

I used some 2" x 2" x 3/16" plate as washers on the underside of my seatbelt and childs seat mounts to distribute the load if they get fully loaded. Just the bolt and a regular washer looks strong until you get a 150#+ body applying 4-5 G's to it. If the larger plate rips thru you have a bigger problem.

CMACDONALD1 02-27-2014 07:00 PM

The seatbelt kit came with really big washers for the underside. I think they are probably 2 1/2 inches round and really heavy duty bolts. I hope I never have to find out the hard way! It bothers me these days to drive around without seatbelts in the old truck.

OrrieG 02-27-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMACDONALD1 (Post 6548394)
The seatbelt kit came with really big washers for the underside. I think they are probably 2 1/2 inches round and really heavy duty bolts. I hope I never have to find out the hard way! It bothers me these days to drive around without seatbelts in the old truck.

Good.

4DSEVEN 02-28-2014 08:59 AM

Got my front fenders on, wired the doors for poppers and windows.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...psaaf97e87.jpg

crossfire84 02-28-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DSEVEN (Post 6549262)
Got my front fenders on, wired the doors for poppers and windows.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...psaaf97e87.jpg

looks super!

Daze57 02-28-2014 07:22 PM

great lookin truck !
v v nice wheels !

Dan in Pasadena 02-28-2014 08:19 PM

Oh we couldn't do anything today in Callifornia. It RAINED.

RAINZILLA

RAIN-MAGEDDON

STORM WATCH 2014

So stupid. Historic freezes in the rest of the country and could we be made to seem like bigger pussies?!

OrrieG 02-28-2014 08:45 PM

I thought you guys needed water???

mechanixman 03-01-2014 12:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6550291)
Oh we couldn't do anything today in Callifornia. It RAINED.
RAINZILLA
RAIN-MAGEDDON
STORM WATCH 2014
So stupid. Historic freezes in the rest of the country and could we be made to seem like bigger pussies?!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well this happened, the blue malibu wasn't working very well. It didn't run yesterday, we think it was because the gas line froze. (my mom doesn't like to keep the tank full at all.) My dad used a space heater we had to heat up the underside of the car, and drove it around the block. He mentioned it was acting funny. When he parked, he heard something and noticed it was on fire. Everything (most importantly the truck :lol:) is alright, and everyone is fine. It certainly added some excitement to this friday.

oldman3 03-01-2014 12:37 AM

Mechanixman, that kind of excitement I can do without. So sorry for the lose of newer rides, etc. Glad the truck was OK...Jim

mechanixman 03-01-2014 01:14 AM

Yeah, thank you
When I got home, I was laughing a whole lot...maybe too much. There was so much irony! The one crappy panel on the HHR, the plastic front bumper thing always looked awful, was the only panel unscathed by the fire. I went to go get the mail, and today our local dealership said "maybe it's time for an upgrade. try the new 2014 corvette!"
The insurance company sent a guy to board up the hole where the garage door used to be, and he asked us if anything else was damaged. We said ohh yeah. A vehicle lift, 120 gal air compressor. The guy came back with "Oh! I guess the porsche went up too?" we exclaimed how'd you know?!!?
Best to make light of the situation

mechanixman 03-01-2014 01:14 AM

Yeah, thank you
When I got home, I was laughing a whole lot...maybe too much. There was so much irony! The one crappy panel on the HHR, the plastic front bumper thing always looked awful, was the only panel unscathed by the fire. I went to go get the mail, and today our local dealership said "maybe it's time for an upgrade. try the new 2014 corvette!"
The insurance company sent a guy to board up the hole where the garage door used to be, and he asked us if anything else was damaged. We said ohh yeah. A vehicle lift, 120 gal air compressor. The guy came back with "Oh! I guess the porsche went up too?" we exclaimed how'd you know?!!?

OrrieG 03-01-2014 02:43 PM

Man, your fire department must be really close and on the ball. Glad it did not do more damage, or heaven forbid, harm you Dad. I know your feeling, I was working on my Ducati in summer of 75 in Tempe. We took a dinner break and when we returned the garage was smouldering, opening the man door added O2 and flames burst up. FD saved most of the garage, house was not damaged, but bike and some tools were total loose. Spontaneous combustion from gassy rag and elevated garage room temps (air was around 110 degrees).

Jack Guzman 03-01-2014 03:30 PM

SNAKE BRAKES!!! I jacked up the back end of my 51 3100 today for the first time and put stands under it. The master cylinder was a frozen solid chunk of iron and rust so I expected bad stuff to fix. This thing sat for about 30 years.I got the wheels off and there is still black paint on the drum surface.Hmmm... A light tap and the drum pops right off. The drum surface is smooth and the shoes have life left in them. Star adjusters still turn and no apparent wheel cylinder leakage.I'm pretty impressed. I found a hitchhiker though. A baby rattlesnake got in the drum somehow and died wrapped around the star adjuster. About a foot long.skin still intact so you can see the pattern on it's back but it's dried up some.No idea how it got in there,the adjuster hole isn't that big. ---Jack

Jack Guzman 03-01-2014 04:22 PM

I double posted but don't know how to delete this one just edited it out.

Jack Guzman 03-02-2014 08:07 AM

Snake brakes

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the snake I unwrapped from around the star wheel. I figured out how he got in. There is a hole bored in the axle flange that corresponds with another hole in the drum.---Jack

lowdownstar 03-02-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6550861)
Yeah, thank you

Wow you are very lucky you didn't lose everything! I am so happy for you that you didn't lose your toy that would of really sucked. I hope it all works out for you.

Ray

IndyBowtie 03-02-2014 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't checked in for awhile. Had to finally shed the Corvette valve covers for some that had PVC and breather ports. Not a bad trade.

Attachment 1221646

IndyBowtie 03-02-2014 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also replaced the seat with a 60/40 from an '89, as well as matching door panels and armrests

MARTINSR 03-02-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6550764)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well this happened, the blue malibu wasn't working very well. It didn't run yesterday, we think it was because the gas line froze. (my mom doesn't like to keep the tank full at all.) My dad used a space heater we had to heat up the underside of the car, and drove it around the block. He mentioned it was acting funny. When he parked, he heard something and noticed it was on fire. Everything (most importantly the truck :lol:) is alright, and everyone is fine. It certainly added some excitement to this friday.

HOLY CRAP! That is some scary stuff!:devil:

Brian

MARTINSR 03-02-2014 01:53 PM

Can you guys explain something to me? What happens in the cold to the fuel system to need to warm it up like that? Fuel isn't going to freeze so it is the vapor system? It gets moisture or something?

Brian