The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=654709)

Vic1947 04-23-2015 08:57 PM

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7145719)
Can't wait to see the pictures! Console looks awesome. Are you going to paint that or upholster it? I like that you used metal instead of MDF :metal:

Thanks, John. The plan is to upholster most it. I've got a piece of 5052 that goes down the middle where the cup holders, power window buttons and the shifter boot fit. Probably ball end mill some of it before it goes to the anodizer. Speakers go in the sides of the console around where it angles up. Pretty basic, but still yet functional.

jlsanborn 04-23-2015 11:59 PM

Upholstered, ball-end, anodized, switches, speakers,... "pretty basic" Ya, for you maybe! All the stuff you fab is just so well done man. Super tasteful for such an old fart too! :lol:

Vic1947 04-24-2015 11:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Spent the afternoon at the trim shop. The glass guys came and got the front and rear glass in. It was touch and go for awhile. The front stainless was a little bit out of shape from the restoration and they had a lot of trouble keeping it embedded in the rubber moulding. However, they were able to get it all in place. The rear went a lot easier, but when it came time to put the top piece on, we realized the small corner trim pieces weren't in with the rest of the trim packages. I made a mad dash home thinking maybe they were overlooked in the box where I stored all that stuff but no luck. Most likely, they were never in with the rest of the trim and I just didn't realize it. I found one side on eBay and have already purchased it, but the driver side piece may be more elusive. I'll have to get on the phone to the old car salvage yards and see if I can come up with something. Those corner caps were on 57-58 Custom 2 or 4 door models. Just in case anyone knows where an old abandoned junker is parked. ;)

Below are some interior photos and the glass installation in progress. Also, the trunk carpeting is underway. I took some more console measurements and will work on it over the weekend.

Elliot949 04-25-2015 06:25 AM

I will look... I know where there are a couple of these cars I just am not sure what they are doing with them... Looks great Vic...

Gus350 04-25-2015 12:15 PM

Can you post a pic of what you need Vic and when I get home I'll look at my neighbors place and see if he might have what you need.

Kevin

Vic1947 04-25-2015 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus350 (Post 7147877)
Can you post a pic of what you need Vic and when I get home I'll look at my neighbors place and see if he might have what you need.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. Here's what they look like...

Gus350 04-26-2015 06:56 PM

Stuck out here on the chrome piece sorry Vic hope you have better luck than I did.

Vic1947 04-26-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus350 (Post 7149437)
Stuck out here on the chrome piece sorry Vic hope you have better luck than I did.

Thanks anyway, Kevin. Spoke with a guy down in TX that thinks he may have some, just needs a few days to look for them in storage. I have the passenger side on the way already and there's still some unexplored options for the remaining one.

bevis1 04-27-2015 09:21 AM

Hope somebody finds one soon, or Vic's going to spin up that mill and make one.

Vic1947 04-27-2015 08:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bevis1 (Post 7150197)
Hope somebody finds one soon, or Vic's going to spin up that mill and make one.

Only as a last resort! What I could really use is a retired junk man with a lot of time on his hands... ;) Actually, I did get another lead this afternoon. Tried calling him but he was gone for the day so it will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, I've been hacking away at the console project. A few photos below to show where I'm headed with it After scabbing on some extensions and tacking in the mounting tabs, I squeegee'd on a skim coat of filler and smoothed it out. I dropped it off at the trim shop around 4PM. They'll cover it with the carbon fiber-ish vinyl and install it if I can get the aluminum cap machined in time.

They're making great progress. The garnish moulding and gasket strip around the windshield was in and looking super. The sunvisors were in and the side panels and quarter window garnish mouldings are done. They were working on the carpet and had brought the rear seats down from the storage loft. The package tray is ready to be covered as are the kick panels. Not sure, but I'm guessing two more days, maybe three and it should be ready to come home.

jlsanborn 04-27-2015 11:10 PM

Console looks awesome Vic! Smart use of the wood for the big radius, looks like they'd be able to upholster that in a snap. Started on the machine work yet? What are the cut pieces on your layout? Inlays? Are you utilizing an OEM molded piece for the cup holders? I know you'll get this part done, can't wait to see the finished product!!

jlsanborn 04-27-2015 11:15 PM

What's that tape on your fender pony? I see MSHA pasted all over it, must be heavy duty stuff. I do commercial work for some gold-digger's over here and MSHA means business. Just curious...

Vic1947 04-28-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7151281)
What's that tape on your fender pony? I see MSHA pasted all over it, must be heavy duty stuff. I do commercial work for some gold-digger's over here and MSHA means business. Just curious...

An electrician buddy gave me a roll of it a long time ago. It's marked MSHA P-174-1 and is similar to 3M electrical tape but a lot tougher. I like it because it's 1.5" wide and covers a lot of territory when you wrap it. Unfortunately there's only a small amount left on the roll and I have no clue where to source any more of it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7151271)
Console looks awesome Vic! Smart use of the wood for the big radius, looks like they'd be able to upholster that in a snap. Started on the machine work yet? What are the cut pieces on your layout? Inlays? Are you utilizing an OEM molded piece for the cup holders? I know you'll get this part done, can't wait to see the finished product!!

Thanks, John. Machine work starts today. The cut pieces are the layouts for the ball end mill grooves. I did several spacings and widths to get a visual image of what to expect before starting. I took the easy route with the cup holders and ordered a pair of stainless ones that will drop into the holes I bore into the aluminum plate. I plan to anodize the plate black to match the door and window hardware. I'm headed back to the trim shop this morning with the speakers that go in the sides so they can make sure they fit after the console is covered.

Vic1947 04-30-2015 09:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Teaser photos...

Car is home resting comfortably and ready for the final push. Interior turned out fantastic! I will post photos tomorrow after I do some cleanup and with better lighting than the overheads in the shop.

I think I found the end caps for the rear window trim. Scott pointed me to a Craigslist ad and I followed up with the guy. Sent him a letter yesterday with the payment (he's an east Texas feller without PayPal) so I should know for sure by sometime next week. Desert Valley had three cars but none of the parts I needed. Fingers crossed.

swamp rat 05-01-2015 01:10 AM

Nice work! this will be one great ride!

Hey Vic what would you use to clean up compressor crank case oil splatter on your tools, work bench body work stuff ect? Paint thinner, alcooal, Varnish remover, mek ???? I know i cant have a trace of it left, Thanks!

Elliot949 05-01-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7155095)
Teaser photos...

Car is home resting comfortably and ready for the final push. Interior turned out fantastic! I will post photos tomorrow after I do some cleanup and with better lighting than the overheads in the shop.

I think I found the end caps for the rear window trim. Scott pointed me to a Craigslist ad and I followed up with the guy. Sent him a letter yesterday with the payment (he's an east Texas feller without PayPal) so I should know for sure by sometime next week. Desert Valley had three cars but none of the parts I needed. Fingers crossed.

Vic... The Detail on that center Console is phenomenal...

Xeen 05-01-2015 04:33 PM

Oh man I am going nuts over here waiting for you to post pictures of the completed interior Vic, throw a dog a bone man!

Vic1947 05-01-2015 05:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 7155862)
Oh man I am going nuts over here waiting for you to post pictures of the completed interior Vic, throw a dog a bone man!

Thanks, guys! Taking a short break to post the promised photos, then it's back down to the salt mine. ;)

Vic1947 05-01-2015 05:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And, some more...

Xeen 05-01-2015 06:35 PM

WOW Vic that look's Awesome!!!111oneoneone
Congratulations all your hard work is paying off in spades.

Beavis502 05-01-2015 07:28 PM

Very nice!!

sduckworth13 05-01-2015 09:34 PM

Interior looks great Vic!

swamp rat 05-01-2015 11:05 PM

I think my jaw just hit the floor again..

jlsanborn 05-02-2015 12:50 AM

Lots of work done there Vic. Looks amazing and your upholsterer's killed it! The console turned out fantastic and I can't imagine the interior with anything less. Is that the same vinyl they used on the center sections of the panels? Hope the finish pieces you've found work out. I flipped back a few pages, looking at the wiring you've done, equally stellar. Sure wish I could see all of this ride in person. When do we fire that motor!!? :lol:

Vic1947 05-02-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 7155956)
WOW Vic that look's Awesome!!!111oneoneone
Congratulations all your hard work is paying off in spades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beavis502 (Post 7156021)
Very nice!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 7156200)
Interior looks great Vic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7156322)
I think my jaw just hit the floor again..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7156447)
Lots of work done there Vic. Looks amazing and your upholsterer's killed it! The console turned out fantastic and I can't imagine the interior with anything less. Is that the same vinyl they used on the center sections of the panels? Hope the finish pieces you've found work out. I flipped back a few pages, looking at the wiring you've done, equally stellar. Sure wish I could see all of this ride in person. When do we fire that motor!!? :lol:

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, John, the vinyl on the console is the same as the center section of the side panels. Needed some contrast there with all that medium gray on the seats and lower panels. The motor will have to wait a little longer, I need to get the front clip back on, the wiring finished and the a/c condenser/dryer mounted and plumbed. Believe it or not, I've been struggling with getting the seat belts finalized. Turns out the mounting locations for the lap belts are right above the mufflers. There was no way to drill the holes and install the hardware without removing half the exhaust system and e-brake cables. It's always something. I'll have it back together by lunch tomorrow and the clip is next on the list. With a little luck, I should be busting off the engine this time next weekend.