The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   67-72 Electric speedo (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=512751)

BigRed76 10-31-2014 11:03 PM

Re: 67-72 Electric speedo

Has anyone found a paint that is the correct color for painting the new speedo numbers? I know ls1nova71 said he was just mixing paint to make the correct color, I'm just wondering if there's a premade color that will work...

TBONE1964 12-01-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed76 (Post 6899567)
Has anyone found a paint that is the correct color for painting the new speedo numbers? I know ls1nova71 said he was just mixing paint to make the correct color, I'm just wondering if there's a premade color that will work...

I think Eric was using testers model paint. He used green and white and mixed them until he got the color right on the money which is the way I would do it.

If you want something in a spray can ready, I would go with a Jade Satin Krylon.

Hope this helps.

Tom

TBONE1964 12-01-2014 07:36 PM

Hi Eric,
I am finally building my first electronic speedometer conversion cluster for a customer and have some questions for you.

First off, I wanted to let you know that I have found a way that works well that eliminates the speedometer mounting plate. Of course it requires some fabrication to the stock tin but in the end it will be all one piece. Not to take away anything you have done, just trying a different method.

Also my customer did not want a trip so that made my work a bit easier.

Now for my questions. I bought a gauge cluster for a 1996 S-10 from ebay. The high MPH on it is 100 MPH. Is this OK with the 120 stencil you provide? Will the speedometer actually work and be accurate over 100 MPH?

My other question was regarding testing the speedometer without a VSS signal. I have heard if you put power and ground to it, it will move to zero regardless of where the needle is positioned. Is this true?

I am trying to make sure I get this cluster built so that it will work for my customer. I may be able to find someone with a later model vehicle with VSS to test it on but I cannot say for sure at this time.

I will try to post some photos of my work soon. I had a camera mishap and don't care for my phone camera.

Hope you are well,

Take care,
Tom

BigRed76 12-02-2014 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TBONE1964 (Post 6940704)
I think Eric was using testers model paint. He used green and white and mixed them until he got the color right on the money which is the way I would do it.

If you want something in a spray can ready, I would go with a Jade Satin Krylon.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I was hoping to find something in a spray can, and just from pictures that jade satin looks real close.
My electric speedo cluster is still in the works but I went the route of modifying the tin to eliminate the plate like you mentioned you were doing for a customer.

ls1nova71 12-02-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed76 (Post 6899567)

I have never found anything that was an exact match, but then I'm picky, so I knew that mixing it would get the best results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBONE1964 (Post 6940733)
Hi Eric,
I am finally building my first electronic speedometer conversion cluster for a customer and have some questions for you.

First off, I wanted to let you know that I have found a way that works well that eliminates the speedometer mounting plate. Of course it requires some fabrication to the stock tin but in the end it will be all one piece. Not to take away anything you have done, just trying a different method.
Interested in how you mounted it. My first one I didn't use the mounting plate, and got it to work, but making the mount seemed to be the better way. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Also my customer did not want a trip so that made my work a bit easier.

Now for my questions. I bought a gauge cluster for a 1996 S-10 from ebay. The high MPH on it is 100 MPH. Is this OK with the 120 stencil you provide? Will the speedometer actually work and be accurate over 100 MPH?
The S10 speedos are all 100mph. The reason for making the 67-72 speedo 120mph is to get the sweep to match. It should be accurate above 100mph since the sweep of the needle is linear in relation to the face/numbers. I have never checked it above 100 to be honest though. I have checked it to about 90mhp or so and it's pretty accurate.

My other question was regarding testing the speedometer without a VSS signal. I have heard if you put power and ground to it, it will move to zero regardless of where the needle is positioned. Is this true?
When you put power to the speedo, the needle will move to the 0mhp mark, you have to do this when putting the needle back on, or you may get the needle either too high or too low. Ideally, you want the needle to rest at 0mhp, with the needle just touching the little plastic stop.

I am trying to make sure I get this cluster built so that it will work for my customer. I may be able to find someone with a later model vehicle with VSS to test it on but I cannot say for sure at this time.
The only way I know to test it is to hook it up to a vehicle and run it. I have a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire that I use to test mine. I just unhook the cruise control module and put the wires in to the connector for power, ground, and VSS, it works great since then I not only get to see it work, I can verify how accurate it is by comparing it to the speedo in the car. If you can find a later modle GM car with a cable drive cruise control, that would be the easiest way to make sure it is going to be right on the money.

I will try to post some photos of my work soon. I had a camera mishap and don't care for my phone camera.

Hope you are well,

Take care,
Tom

Hey Tom, I answered your questions in the bold text. If you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask.

TBONE1964 12-03-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6941252)
I have never found anything that was an exact match, but then I'm picky, so I knew that mixing it would get the best results.

Hey Tom, I answered your questions in the bold text. If you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask.

Hi Eric,

I appreciate the information. I will get some photos posted when I get time and the camera working. I am also working on making a wiring harness that I think will work nice.

I have limited time to work on this so my progress is slow.

Stay tuned...

Thanks again,
Tom

tinsoldier 01-06-2015 11:07 AM

Is there anymore faceplate available? I am interested in purchasing one if possible.

elimontfort 01-06-2015 12:42 PM

Also interested in a faceplate.

ls1nova71 01-06-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinsoldier (Post 6987808)
Is there anymore faceplate available? I am interested in purchasing one if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elimontfort (Post 6987917)
Also interested in a faceplate.

PMs sent

71blksuper4x4 01-22-2015 12:06 AM

Eric, do you still have any of these? Debating this route on my dmax swap. Trevor

ls1nova71 01-22-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 7014009)
Eric, do you still have any of these? Debating this route on my dmax swap. Trevor

I will have some as soon as the printer gets the blade it takes to cut the number parts out of the stencil. I'm having a few more made up because I keep selling the ones I have stashed back for my own projects. :lol: I'm currently putting together 2 clusters so I won't have that problem anymore.

Beaumont@ 02-08-2015 08:48 PM

I may have missed after reading the threads but I am curious if this mod will work with a 4L80e with a standalone controller ie. TCI EZ-TCU and a gen 1 carbureted engine? If so I would be interested in one of your kits.
Thanks

Beaumont@ 02-09-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaumont@ (Post 7039925)
I may have missed after reading the threads but I am curious if this mod will work with a 4L80e with a standalone controller ie. TCI EZ-TCU and a gen 1 carbureted engine? If so I would be interested in one of your kits.
Thanks

Ah never mind I found out they have an output wire for the speedometer. I'm down for a set if they're available
Thanks

ls1nova71 02-09-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaumont@ (Post 7041566)
Ah never mind I found out they have an output wire for the speedometer. I'm down for a set if they're available
Thanks

At this time, I am not able to get the template for painting the numbers on the lens. I have been in contact with another member on here that thinks he may be able to do them. If it works out I should be able to get you a set, I will let you know if/when they are available again. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Marty68 02-10-2015 03:36 PM

i may do this after i kill a couple other jobs.

eagleuh1 02-12-2015 08:01 PM

Anybody found a source for the light sockets other than junk yard? Only thing lacking on mine. Thanks. Jim

68c10airstream 02-12-2015 09:03 PM

Hi eagleuh1, look on ebay under the search "t10 194 heavy duty" They have them in 10 quantity. I haven't received mine yet but they are 2 wire twist lock sockets. Very cheap.

68c10airstream 02-28-2015 12:48 AM

Got the 2 wire twist sockets in the other day. Close but no cigar, can't use them. Will try something else

ls1nova71 02-28-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68c10airstream (Post 7069095)
Got the 2 wire twist sockets in the other day. Close but no cigar, can't use them. Will try something else

PM sent

elf w/capital T 02-28-2015 12:55 PM

The twist sockets everyone is using... i was told that some 88-98 sidemarker lights fit...??? Anyone confirm this?

68c10airstream 03-30-2015 11:22 PM

I found the parts tag for the 2 wire sockets i used for the cluster project. Made by STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS. HP 4060, the hp= handy pack. Application says AMC 70-88, GM 69-92, Ford 70-90. These sockets are about $4.00 each, 2 leads, firm rubber body with 4 latching lugs. Our 67-72 dash holes only have 2 notches for the lugs. I removed 2 lugs using my exacto knife. I chose these because i had green led's for dash lights that were made in the #194 bulb style. Each socket having 2 leads guaranteed good grounding for each led. I wasn't able to use the printed circuit anyway so i wired up everything individually. I needed at least one 2 lead socket for the cruise light i added in my cluster because the cruise box switches on a ground when it is engaged. (i removed the word "brake" lens and added the word "cruise" lens in it's place) The only issue with using the green led's are trying to dim them, it's all or nothing as they are not designed to be in a dimming application. I have eyes getting older and the additional brightness is nice.

68c10airstream 03-30-2015 11:34 PM

Sorry i omitted in the above post is that the HP 4060 are a side marker replacement socket, that's why they are a 4 lug style.

eagleuh1 04-03-2015 02:34 AM

Thanks 68 Airstream. Will be ordering these tommorrow. As a side. Does your 68 Airstream still sport the Armstrong AC it was born with? Just ordered a new fan motor for mine. It gave up the smoke while working nights, trying to sleep days near Baton Rouge La. Last week. Trying to keep it working still. Jim

68c10airstream 04-03-2015 02:44 AM

This 1966 caravelle is without a/c but my prior 68 21' did have Armstrong a/c and the fan quit also. Sourced a replacement and it still has the original refrigerant charge and still gets cold. Love airstreams, nothing like them. My wife and I retire in 1 3/4 years, truck to finish, interior redo on the caravelle and then serious camping in the duo.

eagleuh1 04-03-2015 06:00 PM

Sounds like a great plan. I've got to finish my truck as well, but have a few more years than you to retire. Good luck. Jim