The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=367260)

Captainfab 08-14-2016 03:01 PM

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

You can not use the '88-'98 spindles, rotors, etc. If you go back and read you will see why. If you want to stay with 6 lug, you will have to purchase the aftermarket 6 lug rotors.

TurnNBurn 08-14-2016 03:12 PM

Ok I thought I seen that in a post that you could thats why I asked theres a pile of info in this thread I will look again and try find why it doesnt work. so my 77 stuff and aftermarket rotors and then I will have it

Captainfab 08-14-2016 03:39 PM

Yes, as long as your spindles are for the 1,250" rotors. They should be.

Jerrybigbird 10-24-2016 11:52 AM

So i got a question ...my 64 c10 has manual brakes and factory power steering ..and my 79 donor truck has manual brakes and steering by armstrong . If i swap crossmembers do i have to swap steering gears to?

aggie91 10-24-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrybigbird (Post 7750838)
So i got a question ...my 64 c10 has manual brakes and factory power steering ..and my 79 donor truck has manual brakes and steering by armstrong . If i swap crossmembers do i have to swap steering gears to?

Short answer is no. In reality, you do not even have to swap cross members. To get disc brakes, you just really only need to swap ball joints to match the spindle you are using and use a tie rod adapter sleeve to use the correct tie rod for the spindle you use.

The only difference between the cross members is the holes for the u-bolts that hold the lower arm in place. The later model uses a larger diameter u-bolt. If you are swapping to the later a-arms to get the rubber bushings versus the steel ones, then you can easily drill out those 8 holes to the correct size for the later model u-bolts. I think they are 9/16" dia...

Captainfab 10-24-2016 11:29 PM

You can keep your factory '64 power steering if you want to, but you will have to purchase those aluminum tie rod adapter sleeves to be able to connect your original draglink to the spindles.

Jerrybigbird 10-25-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 7750898)
Short answer is no. In reality, you do not even have to swap cross members. To get disc brakes, you just really only need to swap ball joints to match the spindle you are using and use a tie rod adapter sleeve to use the correct tie rod for the spindle you use.

The only difference between the cross members is the holes for the u-bolts that hold the lower arm in place. The later model uses a larger diameter u-bolt. If you are swapping to the later a-arms to get the rubber bushings versus the steel ones, then you can easily drill out those 8 holes to the correct size for the later model u-bolts. I think they are 9/16" dia...

Cool thanks

matthamby 12-01-2016 02:24 PM

Hey guys,

I am interested in this thread, I am only posting this info as a reference point (I don't know if this actually works or not, when I have read this whole thread I will remove any erroneous information), I have not read the whole thread as of yet, however, I will do that soon.

I saw this on a facebook feed that I wanted to tag and research - again I don't know if it is true - yet!

"Just buy the 71-87 disk brake spindles, bearings, calipers, hoses and then get the 6 lug rotors for a 88-98chevy light duty 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive."

Thanks for your patience!

Captainfab 12-02-2016 12:46 AM

There are a couple of variations of using the '88-'98 LD2500 6 lug rotors that are discussed in this thread. Neither of which will work well without some serious work. While those rotors will physically mount to the spindles, the calipers and pads will not fit without extensive modification. For most people it is just not woirth the time and effort when you can buy the aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit both the factory '73-'87 spindles as well as most all aftermarket dropped spindles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthamby (Post 7783913)
Hey guys,

I am interested in this thread, I am only posting this info as a reference point (I don't know if this actually works or not, when I have read this whole thread I will remove any erroneous information), I have not read the whole thread as of yet, however, I will do that soon.

I saw this on a facebook feed that I wanted to tag and research - again I don't know if it is true - yet!

"Just buy the 71-87 disk brake spindles, bearings, calipers, hoses and then get the 6 lug rotors for a 88-98chevy light duty 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive."

Thanks for your patience!

matthamby 12-02-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 7784455)
There are a couple of variations of using the '88-'98 LD2500 6 lug rotors that are discussed in this thread. Neither of which will work well without some serious work. While those rotors will physically mount to the spindles, the calipers and pads will not fit without extensive modification. For most people it is just not woirth the time and effort when you can buy the aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit both the factory '73-'87 spindles as well as most all aftermarket dropped spindles.

Well, dang! I was really looking for something that I could go to the parts store and get replacements readily available - converting to 5-lug is just not an option I want. it appears that i'll just have to stick with ordering an extra set to have on hand, and order the set after replacing the pads.

when I have more time I will read through this thread as I'm sure the answers I am looking for are most likely here.

Captainfab 12-03-2016 12:42 AM

Believe me I was also hoping to be able to source the 6 lug rotors locally also. When I found the old thread about using the '88-'98 LD 2500 spindles rotors and calipers, I thought I had found what I had been hoping for. But after a couple other members tried it and could not get the correct camber during an alignment, I began to have second thoughts. I may still give it a try someday, but I'm thinking that a set of custom tubular uper control arms, shorter than stock may be necessary.

matthamby 12-03-2016 12:56 AM

Hmm, so they fit, it's a matter of the camber not adjusting?

I need to take an hour and read through this thread!

Captainfab 12-03-2016 01:17 AM

Yes, if you use the '88-'98 spindles, rotors and calipers along with the correct ball joints, a pair of C20 lower control arms and a few other pieces. I believe all of that was discussed in the front half of this thread, as well as a link to the original post where I learned about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthamby (Post 7785231)
Hmm, so they fit, it's a matter of the camber not adjusting?

I need to take an hour and read through this thread!

oliver63 12-03-2016 03:26 PM

If I am asking this in the wrong thread I apologize. Can someone tell me who sells drilled and grooved front rotors for a 72-87 1.250 that are zinc coated that won't rust? Mine from cpp are so rusty they look deplorable.

jocko 12-03-2016 04:01 PM

I'd contact POL - Performance Online - via phone - and tell them what you are looking for. Not sure they have it, but they are honest and they have a lot of disk conversion parts available.

https://www.performanceonline.com/Br...evy-GMC-Truck/

Not sure about the zinc coating - does the truck sit a lot? That will keep rust off the surface. Might consider painting the non-brake surface of a non-coated one before install to preserve. Not sure this helps! This thread and forum is close enough - assume you've done a conversion on your 63? Many upgraded 60-66 to 71+ spindles. Ask about the drilling and slots - I'm pretty sure they have those available or can do it to something you want to order.

oliver63 12-04-2016 11:56 AM

I have THE RIGHT STUFF zinc plated rotors on the rear...they always look great. The CPP rotors on the front I have painted...but being drilled and slotted and the surface the pad doesnt contact rust. They look really bad having a spoke wheel where you see the rotor so much. I am sure there are front rotors somewhere zinc plated...i just havent found any yet and thought some members might have had some good luck with some on their trucks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 7785621)
I'd contact POL - Performance Online - via phone - and tell them what you are looking for. Not sure they have it, but they are honest and they have a lot of disk conversion parts available.

https://www.performanceonline.com/Br...evy-GMC-Truck/

Not sure about the zinc coating - does the truck sit a lot? That will keep rust off the surface. Might consider painting the non-brake surface of a non-coated one before install to preserve. Not sure this helps! This thread and forum is close enough - assume you've done a conversion on your 63? Many upgraded 60-66 to 71+ spindles. Ask about the drilling and slots - I'm pretty sure they have those available or can do it to something you want to order.

matthamby 12-05-2016 11:08 AM

Hey guys, quick question - may not be the appropriate place but it does have to do with breaks.

I'm thinking of swapping the rear axle out for a more modern Silverado axle with disk breaks, I have examined the attachment of the 70 c-10 axle and I can have brackets made up and I have a professional automotive fabricator available to help me with the set-up. My question is about the wheel mount surface dimensions. Are the later model mount surfaces close to the same as the 70's, I want to stay 6-lug. I need to make sure what I get will be close to what I have width wise, thought I would ask on here to hopefully save walking through a yard and start measuring multiple vehicles till I find what I'm looking for, instead, I could just search for the correct vehicle. I would prefer doing something where I can go to a local parts store to get maintenance parts in-lieu of having to order rotors and pads when it comes time to replace those parts. Plus, the cost for a rear-end is about $150 from a local yard. Any thoughts/ help?

aggie91 12-05-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver63 (Post 7785594)
If I am asking this in the wrong thread I apologize. Can someone tell me who sells drilled and grooved front rotors for a 72-87 1.250 that are zinc coated that won't rust? Mine from cpp are so rusty they look deplorable.

These are on rockauto.com, I looked under 1985 Chevy C10.

CENTRIC 12766000L StopTech Sport; Drilled & Slotted Front Left; 2-3/4" Rear Shoe
CENTRIC 12766000R StopTech Sport; Drilled & Slotted Front Right; 2-3/4" Rear Shoe

The info says that they are e-coated for corrosion resistance. Not zinc, but they are coated...

SCOTI 12-05-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthamby (Post 7787345)
Hey guys, quick question - may not be the appropriate place but it does have to do with breaks.

I'm thinking of swapping the rear axle out for a more modern Silverado axle with disk breaks, I have examined the attachment of the 70 c-10 axle and I can have brackets made up and I have a professional automotive fabricator available to help me with the set-up. My question is about the wheel mount surface dimensions. Are the later model mount surfaces close to the same as the 70's, I want to stay 6-lug. I need to make sure what I get will be close to what I have width wise, thought I would ask on here to hopefully save walking through a yard and start measuring multiple vehicles till I find what I'm looking for, instead, I could just search for the correct vehicle. I would prefer doing something where I can go to a local parts store to get maintenance parts in-lieu of having to order rotors and pads when it comes time to replace those parts. Plus, the cost for a rear-end is about $150 from a local yard. Any thoughts/ help?

From what I've learned over the years.... during 1970, it was a transition year as front disc brakes were going to become standard in 1971 on trucks. With the change to front disc brakes, the rear end dimensions also changed @ some point in the year to better match track width. So early production 70's had a narrower rear housing vs later 1970 production housings.

That being said, later 70 through 87 housings were still drum brake equipped but 1.5" wider (.75" each side) vs the early 70 housing (63- early 70).
88-98 housings were also still drum brake equipped & 3" wider vs early 70 housings.
99 & later housings started getting rear discs but again gained width....

Can a later model housing be swapped? It's possible. But you're going to need to measure your housing & measure a late model housing to know what the impact is.

matthamby 12-05-2016 01:41 PM

Yeah, I was figuring the track width would change, wondering how much, I plan on installing a front suspension cradle out of an 85 model that I have a contact for. so the front end should push out with that, trying to find exactly what I need, wonder if a rear end out of a 4x4 in those years would be the same width?

"fixing" one thing brings up another to be "fixed"!

SCOTI 12-05-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthamby (Post 7787515)
Yeah, I was figuring the track width would change, wondering how much, I plan on installing a front suspension cradle out of an 85 model that I have a contact for. so the front end should push out with that, trying to find exactly what I need, wonder if a rear end out of a 4x4 in those years would be the same width?

"fixing" one thing brings up another to be "fixed"!

No difference in the 4x4 rear widths that I know of.

HAVE 1970 GMC 11-28-2017 01:35 AM

I have a 1970 GMC 3500 Wideside (longhorn) (1 ton) with 8 lug wheels. Do I look for a 1973 - up to do a disk conversion. This sound a lot cheaper and easier a a old fart on a very limited budget. Any help is appreciated.

Captainfab 11-28-2017 01:41 AM

You could use a '71-'86 C30 or a '87-'91 R3500 front suspension. Also the G3500 vans are good donors also, but the crossmember is different.

kaneerarchery 12-09-2017 04:05 PM

Has anyone tried the bracket etc. from Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC? They say you do not have to remove your spindle and it uses 95-98 3/4 ton rotors and calipers. They say they provide brackets, bearing spacers and hardware. Also able to use a 1/2 ton rotor from the same years to get 5X5" bolt pattern.

Captainfab 12-10-2017 12:20 AM

I have not. Is that a cheaper option that picking up a good used '73-'87 C10 spindle, rotor and caliper?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneerarchery (Post 8100726)
Has anyone tried the bracket etc. from Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC? They say you do not have to remove your spindle and it uses 95-98 3/4 ton rotors and calipers. They say they provide brackets, bearing spacers and hardware. Also able to use a 1/2 ton rotor from the same years to get 5X5" bolt pattern.

Intimudator 12-19-2017 01:02 PM

I'm new to this so I hope this is in the right location. II have read everything I can find and have not found an absolute answer ( unless I missed it in the 21 pages of this lol) I have a 1961 Chevy C30. Can I swap spindles or crossmember on my truck to convert to disk? I have the spindles somewhere I took off my 1985 1ton crew when I converted it to 4x4 can I use them? Some of the stuff I have read has been contradicting so I would like to hear from someone that has actually done it or seen it so I know for sure. Most things point to it can not be done on a 60-61 c30 only, in hoping this is not true. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

aggie91 12-19-2017 02:54 PM

Intimudator - First off, welcome to the forum. I think you will find this site to be very helpful.

It basically comes down to the ball joints and tie rods...

I am not versed in the 60-62 torsion bar front suspension, so here is what you need to look at: If the ball joints are changed to the '85 1 ton ball joints, then yes the spindle will bolt up...NOW, will the ball joints actually fit the control arms for your '61 C30? I don't know that. I would check the OD of the lower '85 BJ against the OD of the lower '61 BJ, if they are the same size, then yes it should press into the arm. I believe the upper control arms use a bolt in style, if the '61 is the same as what was in my '65, than the upper BJ is a direct bolt in for the '85 upper BJ.

As for swapping the arms themselves, the lower want work because of the torsion bar from suspension under your '61.

Now, the tie rods, this can be solved by using an adapter sleeve if the thread sizes are different between the years like the C10's are.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!

Intimudator 12-19-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8109088)
Intimudator - First off, welcome to the forum. I think you will find this site to be very helpful.

It basically comes down to the ball joints and tie rods...

I am not versed in the 60-62 torsion bar front suspension, so here is what you need to look at: If the ball joints are changed to the '85 1 ton ball joints, then yes the spindle will bolt up...NOW, will the ball joints actually fit the control arms for your '61 C30? I don't know that. I would check the OD of the lower '85 BJ against the OD of the lower '61 BJ, if they are the same size, then yes it should press into the arm. I believe the upper control arms use a bolt in style, if the '61 is the same as what was in my '65, than the upper BJ is a direct bolt in for the '85 upper BJ.

As for swapping the arms themselves, the lower want work because of the torsion bar from suspension under your '61.

Now, the tie rods, this can be solved by using an adapter sleeve if the thread sizes are different between the years like the C10's are.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!

Thank you for the fast response. I was hoping to hear some one has actually done it but I will go measure them and go from there, I'll keep everyone posted so everyone on here will know for sure if it can be done
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 12-20-2017 12:25 AM

I have seen a couple '60-'62 C 30's that had coil springs in the front. If yours does have coil springs, you should be able to change the balljoints and bolt on the '85 spindles. If you have a torsion bar front suspension, that will not work. You will have to change the entire front suspension including the crossmember.

Intimudator 12-20-2017 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8109579)
I have seen a couple '60-'62 C 30's that had coil springs in the front. If yours does have coil springs, you should be able to change the balljoints and bolt on the '85 spindles. If you have a torsion bar front suspension, that will not work. You will have to change the entire front suspension including the crossmember.

I have torsion bars. Could I modify the control arms(weld) ball joints to fit or they completely different? Will the complete suspension bolt in without cutting up the truck where it could never be taken back to stock or just drilling holes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 12-20-2017 01:25 AM

It would take a lot of fab work to install the '85 lower ball joints. I would just change the entire suspension. It is no different than on a '60-'62 C10 or C20. Mainly just a bunch of holes to drill. If you had a '63-'66 it would only be one hole on each side to drill and one to elongate on each side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intimudator (Post 8109604)
I have torsion bars. Could I modify the control arms(weld) ball joints to fit or they completely different? Will the complete suspension bolt in without cutting up the truck where it could never be taken back to stock or just drilling holes?
Posted via Mobile Device

CC's 62 12-28-2017 02:40 PM

I have a 62 step side. Everything on it is stock except for the alternator thats been added. I would like to add disc brakes to the front for now and also lower it. I've read through all 21 pages and have come to the conclusion that for those of us with a 60-62 who want disc brakes, to keep our torsion bars and to lower it, our only option is aftermarket drop spindles and turning the torsion bars. Is this correct? Also thanks to everyone for all the great info on here.

botoepfer 12-28-2017 04:12 PM

So after I read almost the complete 17 pages , Is the six lug front conversion viable without a cross member swap?

I have a 1963 I would at least like to add power front disc brakes and more over 4 wheel power disc brakes,

but the question remains is the aliment issue resolved and am I clear on what parts I need to hunt up

Thanks Happy new year

Captainfab 12-29-2017 12:07 AM

If you are wanting to keep your torsion bars, then yes you will have to purchase the aftermarket dropped spindles specifically for converting a '60-'62 to disc brakes

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC's 62 (Post 8116413)
I have a 62 step side. Everything on it is stock except for the alternator thats been added. I would like to add disc brakes to the front for now and also lower it. I've read through all 21 pages and have come to the conclusion that for those of us with a 60-62 who want disc brakes, to keep our torsion bars and to lower it, our only option is aftermarket drop spindles and turning the torsion bars. Is this correct? Also thanks to everyone for all the great info on here.

Having 6 lug disc brakes on the front is simply a matter of purchasing the aftermarket 6 lug rotors. bolting on disc brake spindles is simply a matter of changing the ball joints and bolting them on. It may be possible to not change the balljoints these days as I believe there are spindles specifically for the '63-'70 trucks. Back when I starting upgrading to disc brakes, there was no such thing as dropped spindles.

As for converting your rear to disc brakes, that is not easily done with a '63 12 bolt as the backing plates are pressed onto the axle tubes. That is why my rear disc brake brackets are designed to be used on the '64-'87 truck 10 and 12 bolt differentials. There is nothing on a '63 12 bolt to bolt the brackets to. If at some time during the past 55 years, the differential has been changed to a '64 and newer differential, you are in luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by botoepfer (Post 8116453)
So after I read almost the complete 17 pages , Is the six lug front conversion viable without a cross member swap?

I have a 1963 I would at least like to add power front disc brakes and more over 4 wheel power disc brakes,

but the question remains is the aliment issue resolved and am I clear on what parts I need to hunt up

Thanks Happy new year

CC's 62 01-02-2018 12:21 PM

Thanks Cap'n. I was also wondering why the oem 15" steelies wont fit if I swap to disc. Is the diameter not enough to clear the calipers or is there not enough backspacing? Would I have to go up to a 16" wheel or could I find a 15" aftermarket steely with enough backspacing?

Captainfab 01-03-2018 12:47 AM

The factory 15" wheels will not work with disc brakes because of the design of the inside of the wheel. They will not clear the calipers. It does not have anything to do with the backspacing, they just have to be disc brake compatible wheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC's 62 (Post 8150055)
Thanks Cap'n. I was also wondering why the oem 15" steelies wont fit if I swap to disc. Is the diameter not enough to clear the calipers or is there not enough backspacing? Would I have to go up to a 16" wheel or could I find a 15" aftermarket steely with enough backspacing?

botoepfer 01-03-2018 12:24 PM

Re: Brake booster specs

Cap'n Fab please forgive me as I know I have asked this before Just can't find your answer,, In adding the front disc, and keeping the stock rear brakes, What booster? Master cylinder should I be on the lookout for,, with your adaptor bracket. ! Thanks,, Bo

Captainfab 01-04-2018 12:21 AM

Re: Brake booster specs

As for compatible boosters, in addition to those mentioned in post #1 of the for sale thread, there is a larger list of compatible boosters in post #183 on page 8. Every one of my booster brackets come with an expanded list including parts numbers.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=339081&page=8

As for a master cylinder. You do not have to use the master that comes on a given booster. You can use a different master cylinder as long as it is compatible with the length of the intermediate pushrod. The master needs to be somewhat matched to the type of braking system you will be running, ie: drum/drum, disc/drum or disc/disc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by botoepfer (Post 8150888)
Cap'n Fab please forgive me as I know I have asked this before Just can't find your answer,, In adding the front disc, and keeping the stock rear brakes, What booster? Master cylinder should I be on the lookout for,, with your adaptor bracket. ! Thanks,, Bo

Materi1 03-07-2018 01:12 PM

I have read threw all the pages and couldnt find an answer i need. Maybe I am over looking it. I have a ‘63 and am gonna swap over to the 73-87. I plan on keeping the 63 front crossmember and using the new/better spindles,upper/lower control arms and steering components. I have the smaller I6 just not sure which one yet. I want to keep the 63 manual steering box as the power steering brackets are outta the budget right now. Will the 73-87 pitman arm bolt up to this??? I plan on using airbags so can inuse the stock spindles or are drop spindles recomended if i go that route

Captainfab 03-08-2018 12:29 AM

The '73-'87 pitman arm will NOT bolt up to your original manual steering box. It is possible that the '63 pitman arm will fit the '73-'87 draglink tight enough. I have not tried that particular combination but I have installed a '73-'87 pitman arm into a '66 draglink.