The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Elwood" the 77_remix (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738570)

PunishedC10 03-14-2018 01:17 PM

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

I’ll admit I was skeptical of the wood grain at first. The truck was super clean before and doesn’t look like the same truck. But it turned out really well! Wish I could have made it to GoodGuys. One of the few I missed. Planning on going to the one in the fall?

N2TRUX 03-14-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunishedC10 (Post 8211653)
I’ll admit I was skeptical of the wood grain at first. The truck was super clean before and doesn’t look like the same truck. But it turned out really well! Wish I could have made it to GoodGuys. One of the few I missed. Planning on going to the one in the fall?

You weren't alone. I have had so many people that had the same sentiments. The renderings didn't truly capture the vision I had. So much so, that I started to questions myself. Fortunately I stayed the course, and I'm pleased with the results.

I will be at the C10 Nationals in the Ride Tech booth. Then C10s in the Park in the American Racing booth. In the Fall i will be at the Goodguys Lonestar Nationals

jkk 03-14-2018 09:30 PM

Looks Badass .................nice job

mcbassin 03-15-2018 07:41 AM

Very nice work Ken! Looks great!

rustytruck50 03-15-2018 11:36 AM

Awesome!!!!!

PunishedC10 03-15-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8211970)
You weren't alone. I have had so many people that had the same sentiments. The renderings didn't truly capture the vision I had. So much so, that I started to questions myself. Fortunately I stayed the course, and I'm pleased with the results.

I will be at the C10 Nationals in the Ride Tech booth. Then C10s in the Park in the American Racing booth. In the Fall i will be at the Goodguys Lonestar Nationals

Hopefully I can catch one of those and see it in person!

UKNOWME 03-18-2018 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is perfect!

N2TRUX 04-06-2018 12:36 PM

Under hood updates coming soon.

smpoulin01 04-06-2018 06:29 PM

Looks great Ken.

gringoloco 04-07-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8231457)
Under hood updates coming soon.

Plans?

N2TRUX 04-13-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8232446)
Plans?

I committed to do a Restomod Air install last year. Its long overdue, so I'm working on that now.

83GMCK2500 04-13-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8237445)
I committed to do a Restomod Air install last year. Its long overdue, so I'm working on that now.

On Elwood? I followed the A/C compressor bracketry + compressor polishing during underhood cleanup (just reread it and caught where you mentioned the compressor needs replacing) and I noticed the new controls installed in one of the interior shots. It's fun flipping back a few pages, I avidly followed the updates as you were posting them, I'd already forgotten little details.

Back on the post about the leaking heater core and passenger footwell cleanup, the bare metal shot, what step is that? Is that just before rust mort or after? If it is before what process was used to clean the rust to that point?

LT7A 04-15-2018 07:49 AM

Ken, the truck looks fantastic. You and Chris did a great job! I'm just catching up after a hiatus, so it's fun to see all of the action shots. Interesting that people weren't sure about the wood grain. There's an old shot of your truck I've seen where a reflection makes it look like it's already got the wood grain installed. Plus growing up my family had two Suburbans of that era where the mid panel was wood grain. Because of that I had no problem picturing what your truck would look like and it really looks good. I look forward to see what comes next.

LT7A 04-15-2018 07:52 AM

Plus, I got to say that the one-year-only ochre inside stripe on the trim is what seals the deal. The black, the stainless, the ochre, then the wood... It does it just right.

N2TRUX 04-15-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 (Post 8237558)
Back on the post about the leaking heater core and passenger footwell cleanup, the bare metal shot, what step is that? Is that just before rust mort or after? If it is before what process was used to clean the rust to that point?

I appreciate your following, and the kind words. On minor rust repair, I use a Scotch Brite wheel to clean the area till I see clean raw metal. Once cleaned, i apply a couple of coats of Rust-Mort. It neutralizes any residual rust that might be missed. The Rust-Mort drys quickly, and I follow that with a coat of sealer primer to give the topcoat something to adhere to. I top coat several layers with a matching paint color.

Once the color coats are done, I let them dry thoroughly. I added a layer of Membrane by Restomod Air to reduce the noise and add a layer of thermal protection.

N2TRUX 04-15-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8238617)
Ken, the truck looks fantastic. You and Chris did a great job! I'm just catching up after a hiatus, so it's fun to see all of the action shots. Interesting that people weren't sure about the wood grain. There's an old shot of your truck I've seen where a reflection makes it look like it's already got the wood grain installed. Plus growing up my family had two Suburbans of that era where the mid panel was wood grain. Because of that I had no problem picturing what your truck would look like and it really looks good. I look forward to see what comes next. Plus, I got to say that the one-year-only ochre inside stripe on the trim is what seals the deal. The black, the stainless, the ochre, then the wood... It does it just right.

Your are spot on. I had seen several version of my rendering by Joseph Durant. He really liked the woodgrain version and did a dozen or so. I agree that the ochre trim color really completes the package.

N2TRUX 04-15-2018 12:04 PM

Chris and I have been diligently working on the Restomod Air Haymaker II Climate Control System install. It is not a direct fit kit, since custom doesnt come in a box. We are working with Mike and Gary at RestoMod and Mike Losh at Slosh Tubz to create a kit that doesnt require an excessive amount of modification.

Follow along as I document our progress.

https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...%20II%20BT.jpg
https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...STEM-TOP-1.png

rustytruck50 04-15-2018 10:43 PM

Cool....literally!

N2TRUX 04-16-2018 11:29 AM

When the decision was made to update Elwood, I talked with Mike Losh from Slosh Tubz about using the 73-87 smooth Mild Tubz . I expressed my desire to shave the firewall of the factory a/c system. My concern was having to weld a panel in to complete the look. Mike said he had discussed a "bolt in" option with Mike R and Gary at Restomod Air.

I contacted Mike R and we shared thought about how to achieve his idea of a clean firewall filler panel that could be bolted in. A plan was formulated and Elwood would be the test truck.

Our goal was create a panel that would cover the passenger side firewall where the factory air (or heat) components were located. We wanted a panel that gave you the options of being installed with small bolts, glued with panel bond, or welded. The panel would include bead rolls to compliment the fender filler panels from Slosh Tubz.

The plan was to have a display made for all to see at C10s in the Park last year. Unfortunately deadlines came and went and the task was not accomplished by the intended debut of Elwood at the Lonestar Throwdown this year.

I'll not try to make any excuses, simply state that sometimes life gets in the way of good intentions. Regardless, I will honor my commitment and get this task accomplished. Thanks to Mike R and Gary at Restomod Air, for their patience. Thanks to Mike Losh with Slosh Tubz for always being there when I need him.

Follow along as Chris and I document the install.

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net.../558249673.jpg

N2TRUX 04-17-2018 09:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Layout is always critical to accomplish quality results. I had some initial ideas of how I wanted this install to flow, but the configuration of the Haymaker II unit dictated a different course. The unit needs to set almost level with a tiny degree of tilt to allow for proper drainage. We positioned it as high under the dash as possible, and as for toward the center as space allowed.

N2TRUX 04-17-2018 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This position lead us to the obvious choice for an exit point for the supply lines. We opted to use the RestoMod Air "Slimline" bulkhead. They offer a huge selection of styles, shapes, and colors of the bulkheads. We wanted the least amount of surface exposed so this was an obvious choice.

https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...NLINE-LEFT.jpg
https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...LINE-FRONT.jpg

N2TRUX 04-17-2018 10:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The location of the bulkhead was dictated by position of the Haymaker and our desire to utilize one of the existing holes. Beyond a clean install, our objective is to maintain structural integrity.

N2TRUX 04-18-2018 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
With the Haymaker location determined, holes drilled, and interior lines routed, we moved on to the control panel. Restomad Air makes a direct fit control panel that makes this segment of the install simple. It takes more effort to remove the factory controls and cables than to bolt this unit in place. Once installed it looks right at home in our original dash.

https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...K_STRAIGHT.jpg
https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...TRUCK_LEFT.jpg
https://www.restomodair.com/wp-conte...RUCK_RIGHT.jpg

N2TRUX 04-22-2018 07:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now that we had the system mocked up we pulled everything back out. I needed to create a pattern for the filler panel that Mike Losh would make. It will have raised panels to clear the obstructions on the firewall, and a recessed area for the bulkhead.

I put the temporary panel back in place once again to ensure the holes all lined up. It came off after some adjustments and a template was laid out. The shape was cut and holes were marked and opened up.

mcbassin 04-23-2018 07:42 AM

Looking good Ken!

N2TRUX 04-23-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8245149)
Looking good Ken!

thanks Michael

aggie91 04-23-2018 11:24 AM

Now off to Mike for him to work his magic. Progress looks good Ken!

N2TRUX 04-24-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8245317)
Now off to Mike for him to work his magic. Progress looks good Ken!

Mike has been patiently waiting for me to get this done. I cant wait to see the finished product.

N2TRUX 04-25-2018 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One step closer to production. Here's the lay out for the production piece from Slosh Tubz The area around the bulk head hole will be recessed. The two shapes to either side will be raised.

N2TRUX 04-26-2018 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike Losh sent a sneak peak of his first production panel. He is shipping it out for me to test fit to determine if any final adjustments need to be made. Hopefully the last few pieces from RestoMod Air needed to finish the dash install will be here today.

N2TRUX 04-26-2018 11:48 AM

We designed this panel to be as simple as possible to install. It can be bolted in as I have done. We designed the outer flange to fit flush so you could use panel bond as well. If you choose to, welding is another option.

Initially I had hoped to keep the factory pinch weld seam. Unfortunately it would really be obtrusive and defeat the look we were after. After cutting it off and grinding it flush I felt comfortable it did not compromise the structural integrity.

Rickysnickers 04-26-2018 11:56 AM

Nice! Dumb question time, will that panel fit a stock truck with standard wheel tubs?

N2TRUX 04-26-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 8248204)
Nice! Dumb question time, will that panel fit a stock truck with standard wheel tubs?

Not a dumb question at all.
Actually its a very good question. Yes, it will work with stock tubs.

N2TRUX 04-30-2018 12:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
While waiting on parts from Restomod Air We worked on the audio system update. I teamed up with Retro Manufacturing to install some of their audio equipment in Elwood. I really like the Retro sound Long Beach receiver. It has a great classic look with contemporary features and can be customized to fit your application.
Its features direct link to Apple or Android devises via built-in Bluetooth connectivity
The authentic push-button styling offers AM/FM RDS tuner with 30 pre-sets. There are two rear-mounted USB ports for USB cable or flash drive, and two auxiliary inputs for portable devices.

It offers 25 watts x 4 channel built in power, and dual RCA pre-outs plus subwoofer output for external amplifiers. The patented InfiniMount adjustable shaft system can almost any dash with no modifications, and it can be mounted remotely for custom installation using optional extension cable.

I opted for the chrome face with black buttons to match my dash and the Restomod Air control panel mounted above it.

The face can be customized to look right at home in any classic install with five unique styles:Chrome with chrome push-buttons, chrome with black push-buttons, chrome with ivory push-buttons, black with black push-buttons, black with chrome push-buttons. They offer optional "screen protectors" for the display face to give it a true vintage look when the power is off.

Sik66 05-01-2018 06:25 AM

Niceeeee!

N2TRUX 05-01-2018 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After Chris got the Long Beach reciever installed, he added the dash speaker to test it out. Since the 73-80 dash only has a center speaker opening we opted for the RetroSound 4x10 Triax
This is a dual voice coil speaker that gives you full stereo separation from your single dash speaker location. It actually has left and right channel inputs.

rodstored-72 05-01-2018 03:32 PM

ken,
nice looking radio. I am more familiar with the retro audio models are they the same? anyways kinda along the same lines.... I was wondering if the 73-87 models had a "radio delete" option like the earlier 67-72 models? I am thinking that I might do the same as I did in my '72 where I used a radio delete plate & put the "hi-end" radio & gear under the seat & still be able to use the radio remote:metal:

N2TRUX 05-03-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8252152)
ken,
nice looking radio. I am more familiar with the retro audio models are they the same? anyways kinda along the same lines.... I was wondering if the 73-87 models had a "radio delete" option like the earlier 67-72 models? I am thinking that I might do the same as I did in my '72 where I used a radio delete plate & put the "hi-end" radio & gear under the seat & still be able to use the radio remote:metal:

What I'm using is Retro Sound by Retro manufacturing. My research tells me its ranked the highest available for classic car audio. I'm not sure why you would want to hide it under the seat, when it will fit correctly in your stock dash with NO modifications.

N2TRUX 05-03-2018 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As always we are thrashing and crashing to get things put back together. The drivers side of the engine compartment is back together now. That gave me an opportunity to mock up the Eddie Motorsports hood hinges. The stock hinges were worn out, and it was time for an update. I wanted a cleaner look than a new pair of stock hinges would offer so I contacted Eddie Motorsports. They offer billet hinges for 73-80 GM trucks that are a work of art.

N2TRUX 05-03-2018 10:44 AM

6 Attachment(s)
They offer a variety of finishes to fit your needs. I opted for the gloss black version to match the black panels under the hood. Stainless steel button heads are included. I gave them a quick polish to match the existing hardware under my hood.

Once installed they blend in nicely. They are nice to look at, but I wanted them to go with the flow and the gloss black does that very well.