The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

cwcarpenter98 06-05-2020 09:19 PM

Re: Frankentruck

2 Attachment(s)
Since the last update, I got the metal for the top of the table. I glued it down and let it sit with a decent amount of weight on it until today.

Today, my friend came over to teach me how to weld. He took a couple welding classes at his college, so he was able to get me on the right track to start.

Going to be lots of practice in the near future :metal:

flashed 06-05-2020 09:49 PM

Looking good

roll_the_dice 06-05-2020 10:17 PM

Good job Christian...You are going to inspire me to get my rig going!

cwcarpenter98 06-06-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8752618)
Looking good

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8752640)
Good job Christian...You are going to inspire me to get my rig going!

Thanks y'all! Sometimes you just gotta go for it even if you mess up the first couple of times :uhmk:

pdxhall 06-06-2020 12:43 PM

Great job on your welding. It brings back memories of when I learned to weld just to work on my truck. I've since done a lot of patching.

cwcarpenter98 06-06-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8752889)
Great job on your welding. It brings back memories of when I learned to weld just to work on my truck. I've since done a lot of patching.

Thanks! Hopefully I get to the point where my patches are as good as yours!

cwcarpenter98 06-12-2020 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I've been fighting the Dakota (and my own stupidity) since I replaced the thermostat bypass hose back at the beginning of the month. I ended up missing a crucial ground wire that made everything screwy. Once that ground wire got hooked up, the truck started right up :umk: Good learning experience :lol:

Also, I got a coat hook from a 67-72 for Frankentruck. No more hanging my suit off the seat belt buckle!

The Rocknrod 06-14-2020 07:07 AM

Wow you have a lot of good work going on here, looking forward to more. :)

cwcarpenter98 06-14-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8757360)
Wow you have a lot of good work going on here, looking forward to more. :)

Thanks! I just got some good tips on doing some sheet metal welding and I have a panel I can practice on now, so more progress is coming soon. It looks like it's going to be a really nice day for welding :lol:

cwcarpenter98 06-16-2020 09:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Did you really work on your c10 if you didn't get cut in a couple places?

SkinnyG 06-16-2020 11:27 PM

You never really own a project until you've bled on it.

cwcarpenter98 06-17-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8759078)
You never really own a project until you've bled on it.

Very true! It's happened before, and it will happen again :lol:

cwcarpenter98 06-17-2020 09:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The passenger side floor is definitely worse than the driver's side, but I don't think I need to buy a whole floor pan to fix the rust. I should be able to get the rest of the patch panels that I need on Friday. Going to start cutting on it soon :crazy:

flashed 06-17-2020 10:42 PM

I see a trip to Gainesville in your future .

cwcarpenter98 06-17-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8759553)
I see a trip to Gainesville in your future .

Yup! I'm planning on going Friday

cwcarpenter98 06-19-2020 09:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One nice thing about living in Georgia is that Auto Metal Direct is a little over an hour's drive from my house. Saved on shipping and got to have a nice drive in the Dakota. I got the last couple of patch panels I needed for the cab.

After I got home, I decided to just go for it and start cutting on the truck. I figured the best place to start was the inner fender, so that's what I did!

For my first patch panel, I'm happy with it. Still need to do some grinding on it and fix the rear part. I mocked up the fender as well and the two holes from the patch piece fit great with the fender.

More progress coming soon! :metal:

cwcarpenter98 06-20-2020 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another day, another patch! Also got the toasted core support off. I think I'm going to pull the inner fenders and clean them up some more

cwcarpenter98 06-21-2020 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went ahead and pulled the hood and inner fenders off so I could finish fixing all the rust on the passenger side inner fender. Of course, I ran out of wire right as the summer, afternoon rain shower rolled in. Had to stop for the day, but at least I made some good progress. I'll be going to get more wire tomorrow so I can finish the inner fender and get the front end back together

pdxhall 06-22-2020 12:48 PM

Nice patch work. you're really getting in to it now.

jhrusk 06-22-2020 02:57 PM

Looking good Christian👍👍

cwcarpenter98 06-22-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8762003)
Nice patch work. you're really getting in to it now.

Thanks man, I'm still learning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrusk (Post 8762066)
Looking good Christian👍👍

Thanks Jay! I'm happy so far with how it's turning out. Going to keep it patina'd for a while longer, just getting the cab back to being solid

flashed 06-22-2020 06:27 PM

Keep it up and I know who will be doing patches on Ma Bell .

cwcarpenter98 06-22-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8762174)
Keep it up and I know who will be doing patches on Ma Bell .

Just as long as I can do it in your shop :lol: These afternoon showers are killing my progress :mad:

flashed 06-22-2020 10:52 PM

You can use my shop anytime you like , I dont need to be there .

cwcarpenter98 06-23-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8762334)
You can use my shop anytime you like , I dont need to be there .

Thanks John, I appreciate it. One day I'm going to have a shop, but for now, the shade tree gets it done :lol:

cwcarpenter98 06-24-2020 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the engine bay side of both inner fenders painted today. Fought through the rain, but was able to get it done.
They are inside the garage drying

cwcarpenter98 06-25-2020 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Will I get the truck back together for the Georgia C10 Club meet on Saturday? I sure hope so, but it's looking promising.

On another note, so far, the new TriPlus core support from AMD has lined up real nice and I have not had to whaller out a single bolt hole yet. All the other sheet metal that will be going on is original GM stuff :metal:

cwcarpenter98 06-26-2020 10:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looking like a truck again! Got everything pretty much buttoned up, just a couple bolts left for in the morning. Should be able to drive it to the Georgia C10 Club meet tomorrow!

I replaced the grille support panel that was busted and rusted with a decent, rust free one. I also got my fan shroud on, but I will need a shorter fan spacer

flashed 06-26-2020 11:43 PM

Looks great Christian

cwcarpenter98 06-27-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8764557)
Looks great Christian

Thanks John. It drives much better too! Less rattles :lol:

cwcarpenter98 07-03-2020 10:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today was a good day.
Met up with MikeN to get a fan and fan clutch from his 65 Impala. It ended up fitting almost perfectly with my new shroud. The old fan was too far into the shroud once I moved the radiator to the correct, v8 location and installed the shroud. Thanks again Mike!

After getting the fan, I went and picked up a 60 hood. It's got the usual rust, but I think I can fix it eventually lol. It's one of those things that I just couldn't pass up.

Yesterday, I got a switch so that I could completely turn off power to the overdrive system whenever I want to drive it in lockout. I used on of the holes already in the bottom of the dash, so I didn't have to drill any extra holes. I plan to pull a few trailers, so I probably won't be using the overdrive when I do that.

Happy 4th! :metal::flag:

flashed 07-04-2020 01:06 AM

FrankenTruck is still one of my all time favorites simply because you are building and repairing it as you go yourself . Christian , that truck is like you , Awesome .

cwcarpenter98 07-04-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8768574)
FrankenTruck is still one of my all time favorites simply because you are building and repairing it as you go yourself . Christian , that truck is like you , Awesome .

Thank you for the kind words John. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'll get there eventually. Your 70 stepper is going to be much nicer than my truck though!

cwcarpenter98 07-04-2020 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy 4th y'all! :flag:

I like to celebrate by driving Frankentruck around and eating some good food with friends. Also, it's been 5 years now since I've had Frankentruck. Hopefully many more to come :metal:

flashed 07-04-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8768907)
Thank you for the kind words John. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'll get there eventually. Your 70 stepper is going to be much nicer than my truck though!

My 70 will be a different style build than FrankenTruck but not necessarily nicer than FrankenTruck . You are making huge strides with your truck yet still get to drive it . I have never driven mine at all.:chevy:

cwcarpenter98 07-04-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8768969)
My 70 will be a different style build than FrankenTruck but not necessarily nicer than FrankenTruck . You are making huge strides with your truck yet still get to drive it . I have never driven mine at all.:chevy:

You will be able to soon though! You'll probably be getting better gas mileage though :lol:

flashed 07-04-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8768975)
You will be able to soon though! You'll probably be getting better gas mileage though :lol:

I expect it to be a year or more before I get to drive mine now , Im way behind schedule .

cwcarpenter98 07-05-2020 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mmmm, that cross pin lock bolt shouldn't be like that...
I don't think that gap should've been there on the pinion seal either.
New axle bearings and seals and a new pinion seal went in today. Just gotta find a new bolt now.

My good friend Levi helped out a ton today and I got to use his fancy mechanic tools lol

cwcarpenter98 07-07-2020 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I called up some local dealerships this morning, but had to drive an hour to find the correct part. Bought three of them since it is a discontinued part now. It was still cheaper than buying the one from Summit Racing, and I got extras. Put everything back together and went for a test drive. I think I fixed all the leaks, but it was dark when I got back, and I was sad. Everything was going great until I heard a metallic smack. I pulled over and started looking underneath the rear of the truck. There's now a visible gap between the axle pads and trailing arms on both sides. Apparently my axle is trying to leave the truck... :no: Fix one thing and another breaks :banghead:

My test drive consisted of stopping by Flashed's place and messing with the Quadrajet on his 79 square. I'm thinking the carb needs a rebuild, but I'm not sure. Time to do some more research lol

kehstr 07-07-2020 12:11 AM

At least that should be a simple fix of just tightening the ubolts