The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

Alan's Classic 06-06-2011 11:07 PM

Re: MY build thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4721740)
It fun turning mud into dust, huh.:lol: Alan makes it look so easy. I've been working on my bed sides for a year.:lol: Off and on. More off than on, because anything that I can do besides body work I do instead.;) Just like anything else though the more you do it the easier it gets.;) You'll get it.;) and your arms will get ripped.:lol:

HAHA, I love sanding so much (NOT) I'm going to block my bed again and clear it. I haven't had the time yet, but not looking forward to it.

56taskforce 06-07-2011 01:23 PM

Wow I love this place another great build!!! Nice work Troy and it’s not taking so long I have been working on a 56 for 5 years and still not even close. I have a 64 that I have been getting ready to start for a year now it seems as if maintenance takes up all my time. Spent the last three days repairing the box on my dump truck after the cylinder broke lose and went through the floor as well as cutting and grinding on the bucket of the excavator so I can weld on new mounting shanks for the teeth I would rather block sand LOL

56taskforce 06-07-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4721740)
It fun turning mud into dust, huh.:lol: Alan makes it look so easy. I've been working on my bed sides for a year.:lol: Off and on. More off than on, because anything that I can do besides body work I do instead.;) Just like anything else though the more you do it the easier it gets.;) You'll get it.;) and your arms will get ripped.:lol:

Dave think about it, if it really builds your arms then Alan would look like Arnold:haha:

daverod 06-07-2011 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:lol: You know he's hiding out up here,:uhmk: He's riding around on his bike trying to building up his body. It hard to do a accent on the keyboard.:waah: I'm pretty sure Aan has some ripped arms.:lol:

daverod 06-07-2011 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is when he just started his truck . It's hard to tell? Bet he's bigger now, He stays out of the camera most the time. You see his fingers and hands a lot. Check out his eyes.:lol::lol: That boy is happy.:lol::lol: Must be all the dust he's breathing.

56taskforce 06-07-2011 03:52 PM

:jest:It dosn't take much to get you going dose it Dave

shortbed70 06-07-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 56taskforce (Post 4722577)
Wow I love this place another great build!!! Nice work Troy and it’s not taking so long I have been working on a 56 for 5 years and still not even close. I have a 64 that I have been getting ready to start for a year now it seems as if maintenance takes up all my time. Spent the last three days repairing the box on my dump truck after the cylinder broke lose and went through the floor as well as cutting and grinding on the bucket of the excavator so I can weld on new mounting shanks for the teeth I would rather block sand LOL

Thanks for the looks and kind words. As far as your situation with the dump truck and things I do that every day so I know the feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4722720)
:lol: You know he's hiding out up here,:uhmk: He's riding around on his bike trying to building up his body. It hard to do a accent on the keybody.:waah: I'm pretty sure Aan has some ripped arms.:lol:

Now that's funny!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4722732)
This is when he just started his truck . It's hard to tell? Bet he's bigger now, He stays out of the camera most the time. You see his fingers and hands a lot. Check out his eyes.:lol::lol: That boy is happy.:lol::lol: Must be all the dust he's breathing.

Maybe it's because all the dust is plugging up my sinuses and no oxygen to the brain...I'm not gaining anything because it's already 100 degrees in the shop and after working 10 hours at my job (welding) then sand for 2 hours... Drip drip..I did manage to put the final touches on the drivers side bed panel. Now time to hunt taillights!!
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 06-07-2011 11:03 PM

Should put AC in your garage.;) I was going to say a swamp cooler but that might make things rust faster. I pick up a little AC window unit at a garage sale for $50, had it for 10 years works great.

Alan's Classic 06-07-2011 11:05 PM

Y'all crack me up. :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 06-07-2011 11:06 PM

Is that happy boy? Don't you have some blocking to do?:lol::lol:

shortbed70 06-07-2011 11:14 PM

I actually have a window ac but without a ceiling in the shop and doors that leak like crazy and on top of all that I'm cheap, I would have to run it for ever to cool it off in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 06-11-2011 03:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well Guys the cooler weather has bred production and got one side of the bed sanded primed and blocked. Still need another coat of primer and a few small pinholes filled but not too bad for what it was. Now I wait for my primer to come in...Also Got the last modification to my frame done so I can get the exhaust outside the frame. 1/4" wall tubing cut 1" thick at a 45* angle welded in so now it comes out the side or rear of truck. Thinking maybe through the bedside but not sure now.

daverod 06-11-2011 10:27 PM

Nice job. I need to do the same on frame. Bedsides lookin sweet.;)

shortbed70 06-12-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4730455)
Nice job. I need to do the same on frame. Bedsides lookin sweet.;)

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedout81 06-12-2011 03:51 PM

Dam that compressor looks so tiny on that frame.Ohh well its just a back up:gi:

I dont think i have a ton of work to get done next week besides those lower cups for my cutty.So i'll be over stringing wires w/ ya

Still need to get the wire color code off that column so we can figure out whats what

shortbed70 06-12-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggedout81 (Post 4731459)
Dam that compressor looks so tiny on that frame.Ohh well its just a back up:gi:

I know right!

I dont think i have a ton of work to get done next week besides those lower cups for my cutty.So i'll be over stringing wires w/ ya

Still need to get the wire color code off that column so we can figure out whats what

I'm trying to see what I can come up with.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 07-07-2011 07:58 AM

Well guys the only updates I have is some primer dust and and a list of parts needed! I have sanded the bedsides twice now they are ready for a final coat of reduced urethane primer,sealer then paint BUT,,,
I need taillights to finish the bed. Also need....
Door seals and bumpers, turn signal cam,alternator,hood latch catch,windshield and side windows and lastly bed wood. I have to have it drivable by September so wish me luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 07-07-2011 11:32 PM

Well, September is a little more than 6 weeks away. As long as you have the time and your money tree is ready for pickin' then that should work out for ya. Here's to wishin you luck.

shortbed70 07-08-2011 02:05 AM

Well the money tree is kinda wilting but I only need to get the bed back on and tail lights for sure. Idk we will see how it goes.Thanks captainfab.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 07-09-2011 06:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Primer done on sides and primer sealer applied. Heres some pics.

wutnxt 07-09-2011 07:02 PM

Aw yes the dreaded blocking of the box sides.......been there done that....lol....good job by the way

shortbed70 07-09-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 4780797)
Aw yes the dreaded blocking of the box sides.......been there done that....lol....good job by the way

Yea I'm glad that's done just the gate left. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 07-10-2011 01:45 AM

Looks very nice and straight.....how are your arms feeling?

shortbed70 07-10-2011 02:05 AM

Like a hot bowl of butter that was spilled on a skillet! Glad that's over. Might have to do it again next week on a 57 chevy two door...$$$
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedout81 07-13-2011 04:11 PM

Believe me guys,those sides are as straight as a arrow.

Just need lights an wire em up an the backs dang near almost done enough to roll around on.Well besides the wood

Alan's Classic 07-14-2011 12:15 AM

Looks like you got the hard part done. :metal:

shortbed70 07-14-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4789301)
Looks like you got the hard part done. :metal:

Well I hope so. I still have some issues to deal with on the tailgate but hopefully it won't be bad. I have to come up with $ for my taillights then I can start working on the backend of the bed.
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 07-14-2011 08:30 AM

Bedsides look nice. Keep up the good work.:mm:

SulphuriousSam 07-14-2011 08:51 AM

Good lookin work man! :metal: I'm looking forward to seeing it all put back together :)

shortbed70 07-14-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4789581)
Bedsides look nice. Keep up the good work.:mm:

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulphuriousSam (Post 4789609)
Good lookin work man! :metal: I'm looking forward to seeing it all put back together :)

Thanks. I'm looking forward to having my shop space back also.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 07-14-2011 01:14 PM

As an update I tore the turn signal cam and wire out to get a new one and that was all I could do in 110* shop last night.
Posted via Mobile Device

SulphuriousSam 07-14-2011 02:08 PM

It's been oppressive here as well! If my bud's shop wasn't air conditioned I wouldn't touch my truck until Fall! :lol: I applaud you getting anything done in that kind of heat!

shortbed70 07-14-2011 02:53 PM

I have to try to have this thing mobile by September.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 07-16-2011 02:52 PM

Well made it till noon in the shop and thanks to baggedout81 he got the rear harness wrapped and I got the column plugged in and even did some stud pulling on the gate. Slowly but it coming together.
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedout81 07-18-2011 04:03 PM

No problem brotha,now if only this heat would just stop for a bit we could actually get the rest of the wiring knocked out.Along w/ everything else lol

shortbed70 07-18-2011 04:12 PM

As soon as those tails show up I don't care if it's 120 I will put them in. I also just scored another $50 so there's another something for the truck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 07-21-2011 11:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Fianlly for the picture lovers that actually follow my build...New taillights fitted and tacked in place. I got the lenses and template off ebay and had to come up with a light so I made a bucket to hold a light behind the lense and bingo...Flush taillights on a budget... Total cost; $65.00 And the last pic is me and some how Mark (baggedout81) caught me blinking...

baggedout81 07-22-2011 12:03 PM

Another step closer:metal:

Also he forgot to mention.Made a relief cut from the bottom of the roll pan up where the license plate goes an pulled it out an tacked it.Got rid of the bow in the middle

shortbed70 07-22-2011 01:19 PM

Oh yea I forgot that. It was bowed on the bed prior and so I made a cut in the license plate box to bring it back out like it was supposed to be! Shouldve bought new but didn't want to spend money on something to cut it up, lesson learned..
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 07-22-2011 09:52 PM

that's pretty cool!!