The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part III (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644788)

markeb01 01-26-2015 03:40 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Very cool!

SIR 01-26-2015 04:24 PM

WELL...at least if your truck fails you....you got "something" to get you home....(COOL JOB NICE WORK)

Chevy Fleetside 01-26-2015 04:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today I deciided to fix the horn on my truck. Well I took the steering wheel off and then walked over and got my delux steering wheel. It was dirty and someone in the past painted it gray. I wanted to make it the right color before I used it, I decieded to use it anyway. When I went to clean it I used a dish sponge with a scotch pad on it and to my eyes the gray paint starting coming off. I ended up scraping all the gray paint off to reveal the original paint and patina of the steering wheel.

The first picutre is the old wheel minus the horn button. The second picture is the gray wheel in place, the 3rd is the cleaning part, It is half gray and have original color. The forth picture is basically the final.
I like that steering wheel alot better plus my horn works.. :metal: :lol:

Lugnutz65 01-26-2015 07:50 PM

Terrific news about the steering wheel. I love surprises like that. Makes my day. Enjoy the new wheel.

CRGRS 66 01-28-2015 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This past weekend, went to McLeans wrecking yard, found a pair of inner door panels and an air cleaner, have to go back with a drill to drill out one screw to get the 2nd door panel.

64chevtruck 01-29-2015 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7018987)
Took the old Gemtop canopy off yesterday. The bed rails are a bit worse for wear after having a canopy on it for so long. Rust bubbling up all along the rails. I pressure washed the bed and the back of the cab. Looks much better. These pics are from before I pressure washed it.

I think the canopy kept your rails from getting beat up, and possibly kept the bed wood nice>? Lookin good.

==================================================================================================== =

[QUOTE=blown240;7020377]I built a bike rack. I may now own the ultimate bike hauler:

Nice Rack! Looks like it fits in there perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I deciided to fix the horn on my truck. Well I took the steering wheel off and then walked over and got my delux steering wheel. It was dirty and someone in the past painted it gray. I wanted to make it the right color before I used it, I decieded to use it anyway. When I went to clean it I used a dish sponge with a scotch pad on it and to my eyes the gray paint starting coming off. I ended up scraping all the gray paint off to reveal the original paint and patina of the steering wheel.

The first picutre is the old wheel minus the horn button. The second picture is the gray wheel in place, the 3rd is the cleaning part, It is half gray and have original color. The forth picture is basically the final.
I like that steering wheel alot better plus my horn works..

Awsome! That deluxe wheel came out great. Id love a nice white one for mine like that.

====================================================================================================

Have a good week

Keep on truckin.

dirty230 01-31-2015 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The beast had hardware but no visors.

Attachment 1357407

Attachment 1357408

Attachment 1357409

A couple quickies to keep the sun out of my eyes

Lugnutz65 01-31-2015 10:17 PM

I drove my truck for the first time with my 250ci and T5 transmission. It was a thrill.
Link to the VIDEO.

Grizz1963 02-01-2015 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty230 (Post 7028386)
The beast had hardware but no visors.

Attachment 1357407

Attachment 1357408

Attachment 1357409

A couple quickies to keep the sun out of my eyes

Love the quickies !!

How common or easy is the hardware to find out there?

I have a drivers visor, but the truck does not seem to ever have been fitted with a passenger visor.

dirty230 02-01-2015 12:12 PM

Thanks Grizz.
I don't know where you would find the hardware.
I'm just trying to use what I have and save a few duckets.
The signs I had. I found an old set of drawers and took the backing off it. I sandwiched that between the signs ,used goop to glue it all together and used galvanized tie wire to make the staples.
They are extra large. I'm figuring they will block out more of the sun.

Grizz1963 02-02-2015 07:46 PM

Last year, Nicola and I went out one day to just drive the truck about randomly, looking for decent places for her to photograph it.

One of the places we stopped was over on the road to Grain, with an industrial type backdrop, so she set her camera to pull out the red in the shot, and turn everything else to black and white, this also worked really well with the yellow of the rape seed/canola oil flower fields.

So I decided to have a canvas printed for my study using one of the high resolution images.

Today I collected it on the way home and tonight I put it up in the study...... it surprised me by its sheer size, sorry but I could not really get a decent photo of my office.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pslyi3imko.jpg

Last week I really battled with my welder and eventually after replacing some of the nozzle parts, Martin suggested I change the tips to 0.8mm to run the 0.6mm wire I weld with.

I did this tonight, and with power set high and wire feed sufficient, I am pleased to say that the towbar side mounting plates are now securely glued on.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswcenplif.jpg

In position.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psrkf2flsx.jpg

Next up I removed the actual tow section from the cross bar.

The outer size of the towing section should just fit inside the piece of cross bar I planned to harvest from the Cherokee towbar.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswm3ja2zk.jpg

YUPPP !!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psf6faoxwj.jpg

Once liberated, and ground back on the bench grinder, I went to the woodwork shed and ran them both on my linisher, the belt will need replacing for woodwork, but did the job I asked it to do.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psn455jpwv.jpg

Not completely fitting in all the way, but as good as I believe I will be needing, I now need to wait till the spares I ordered in last year, including the 67-72 rear bumper gets here, then Martin and I will fetch them from Ron our importer and I can make the bumper brackets up, the fit the bumper up, followed by measuring, cutting the tow hitch, an lastly, welding it partly to the truck and bolting it to the cross bar, so that the towbar will still be removable from the rear.

This is where I stopped tonight.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psexwksdko.jpg

pimpston65 02-02-2015 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
played in the snow today!!! anybody have a shovel!!!

LVPhotos 02-02-2015 08:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a couple Hookers hanging out on the stoop!
Got TKO 600 ordered. New carpet for high hump just got here. Chrome factory emblems and carpet retainers/ sills.

dwcardfan 02-02-2015 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I shot a little B/C paint today!

Lugnutz65 02-02-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 7031352)
I shot a little B/C paint today!

WOW! That looks terrific!

markeb01 02-02-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7028428)
I drove my truck for the first time with my 250ci and T5 transmission. It was a thrill.
Link to the VIDEO.

The video looked like fun!

Chevy Fleetside 02-02-2015 09:32 PM

Took the dog to the beach today and found out where empty is on my truck now. I never would have thought it would have been up near 1/2 tank. :dohh:

dwcardfan 02-02-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7031402)
WOW! That looks terrific!

Thanks Lugnutz!

Lugnutz65 02-02-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 7031522)
Thanks Lugnutz!

What color is that? Looks like FAWN, but I won't assume. Another forum member used Nissan Sunlit Sand and it looked just like the factory paint.

Can you PM me or share on here what ratios you used for paint and hardener etc? I have never painted but plan to do it myself. For me, it's all about the learning experience.

dwcardfan 02-02-2015 10:54 PM

The lighting makes it look fawn but it is actually silver.

1971 GMC SHORTY 02-03-2015 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got Brother truck Hoojed up with Disk Brakes All Done In3-4 Hrs and I just Watched and Told Them How To Do. it Seeing I am Being watched buy Insurance Guy

1971 GMC SHORTY 02-03-2015 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971 GMC SHORTY (Post 7031940)
Got Brother truck Hoojed up with Disk Brakes All Done In3-4 Hrs and I just Watched and Told Them How To Do. it Seeing I am Being watched buy Insurance Guy

Here's The Master and Lines

morethanstock66 02-03-2015 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1358706
Attachment 1358707
Attachment 1358708

Got my seat back from my upholstery guy. Did a great job. It is all black, but in the pic with the lighting, and some dust, it looks more brown. I'll take more pics when I put it in.

dwcardfan 02-03-2015 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sprayed the dash and firewall. :metal::metal:

jayoldschool 02-03-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971 GMC SHORTY (Post 7031941)
Here's The Master and Lines

It might be the pic, but that first 90 on the rear line looks kinked to me.

Lugnutz65 02-03-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 7032680)
Sprayed the dash and firewall. :metal::metal:

I gotta say this and I know others are thinking the same. . . . . The prep and paint work you are doing is SECOND TO NONE! Bee U Tee Full!

dwcardfan 02-03-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7032729)
I gotta say this and I know others are thinking the same. . . . . The prep and paint work you are doing is SECOND TO NONE! Bee U Tee Full!

Thanks Lugnutz. I thought it turned out sweet. This is my secone tIme to paint, it has taken a lot of patience. I got a lot of help from the Pros on this site.

pimpston65 02-03-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7032729)

Hey Lugnutz65 I got a question, what length is the throttle rod on your L6? I have 2 rods of different lengths and hate to prep and paint the wrong one...thks

Lugnutz65 02-03-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7032799)
Hey Lugnutz65 I got a question, what length is the throttle rod on your L6? I have 2 rods of different lengths and hate to prep and paint the wrong one...thks

I'll have a look and send you a few pics in a PM.

1971 GMC SHORTY 02-03-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayoldschool (Post 7032717)
It might be the pic, but that first 90 on the rear line looks kinked to me.

No I Looks But It's Bent With 3/16 Imperial Tube Bender I've Been Bending One Off Stainless Lines For Hot Rods Over 20 Years I'll Take A Better Pictures when I Go To Moms in next few Days

earl84 02-04-2015 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a seat from an '89 Chevy pickup. It's in great shape. Honestly, I like the look of the stock bench, but I don't have and can't find a deluxe seat, and the basic bench isn't very comfortable for me. Plus it needs a full resto job, so I spent my money on this. And I think these look great in our trucks. Looking forward to installing it. 6 way power that works, and lumbar support, good for my back.

Turtleman 02-04-2015 02:57 PM

Great score eral84,, I'd be interested in any Mod's you'll have to do for it to fit in the C-10

Grizz1963 02-04-2015 06:49 PM

As I drove up to my house tonight, there was a large Parcel Force van parked across my driveway.

I saw the guy walk in as I stopped over the road, so met him at the front door, it was the second time he had been here today, thankfully he had thought of trying to see if anyone had come in since he had been here earlier to deliver another parcel from Searcy, Arkansas.

My door repair panels, cut out of Ta2Don's trucks original drivers door. And a retired Tattoo gun from his collection I had wanted to buy from him, but that he refused money for.

Not a very big or heavy parcel by any means, but thought I would add a photo of the costs associated with postage/shipping.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswvtqijgo.jpg

The tattoo gun was to be included in a birthday present I wanted to male up for Nicola, who has her birthday tomorrow on the 5th Feb.

I had the artwork from one of her tattoos that we both really like, mounted it inside a box frame, then mounted the gun, for which I had made its own needle/lance out of some 0.6mm welding wire, onto the backing board next to the pic.

It may seem a weird gift, but I know just how mad my wife is...... so hopefully it will be good.

Remember the Celtic Cross I carved for her birthday last year ??

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psuvvrinxy.jpg

By 7pm Ian, our old lodger was around to do some computer stuff and printing, as he does not have a printer.

Then mate Martin popped in while Ian was here and all work stopped for an hour or more.

After which Martin and I went down to the garage to look at the spacing etc of the removable tow hitch I am building.

Not having the rear bumper yet, we had to guess the spacing and positioning of the sleeve, and I then cut off the last piece of the old towbar mount from under the trucks chassis and mocked up everything.

The sleeve and the slider insert can be cut to length when the bumper is fitted so that it is as far out of sight as possible.

I would love to know if anyone has a removable towbar fitted to a 60-66 C10 and what their measurements are.

Here is the mock up, if you look straight down the rear of the bed, it is 260mm

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psa3cvknvk.jpg

You will see the cross bar/bearer has been moved up and inward as well, as it was sitting too low and far out for when the bumper is fitted.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psnjqyzjg7.jpg

From the top of the bed, to the top of the sleeve is 170mm

I would again love to know what measurements anyone who has one fitted, has on their truck.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psittg8ujh.jpg

Another measurement, this time to the bottom of the sleeve, above my cross brace, at 230mm, if anyone van inform me what they have, this would be hugely helpful.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps8mctphb7.jpg

I also plan on making up a removable number plate carrier that should sit roughly like in this pic.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psjkabfbjv.jpg

Lastly, sleeve without the insert, resting above the cross bar.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psmalctmew.jpg

Any advice and info, measurements etc, greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking in.

Lugnutz65 02-04-2015 11:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I hung my exhaust today. It was a trial fitment only but it really fits well and hugs right along the frame. This is on a 1965 C10 1/2 T with a 250ci and 2" pipe with stock exhaust layout. The muffler is a Walker Sound FX 17829 and should be super quiet. I did need to add a segment to the vertical portion coming off the manifold. I still need to place the hangers, so right now it has some wire and one hanger holding it in position. Once the truck is street legal I plan to have a new front pipe made so it's all one piece before the muffler.

LVPhotos 02-06-2015 08:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First it was a pair of Hookers...headers, now a tranny (TKO 600) showed up. Nice weather this weekend. Back at it.

LVPhotos 02-06-2015 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Original parts chrome plated.

Softpatch 02-07-2015 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7034604)
I hung my exhaust today. It was a trial fitment only but it really fits well and hugs right along the frame. This is on a 1965 C10 1/2 T with a 250ci and 2" pipe with stock exhaust layout. The muffler is a Walker Sound FX 17829 and should be super quiet. I did need to add a segment to the vertical portion coming off the manifold. I still need to place the hangers, so right now it has some wire and one hanger holding it in position. Once the truck is street legal I plan to have a new front pipe made so it's all one piece before the muffler.

.nice job on the exhaust

Lugnutz65 02-07-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVPhotos (Post 7037060)
First it was a pair of Hookers...headers, now a tranny (TKO 600) showed up. Nice weather this weekend. Back at it.

LVPhotos,
The Tremec and headers look great. Please document the installation of the Tremec. I'm thinking this forum has a lot of members who want to know what it takes to install one. Are you going to do a mid-shift kit?

LVPhotos 02-07-2015 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lugnutz the Porterbuilt crossmember moved the engine forward and up. I had to switch out low hump for high hump and the stock bellhouse mount crossmember is cut out. The T5 was proped up in rear with 2" combo of 1×3 box tube across x. Now the TKO 600 should be a "bolt in" replacement. Clutch is 26 spline already but will have to check yoke but I think it's wrong. Having Adams Driveline build a custom 2 Piece driveshaft. The shaft was shortened for T5. I need to clean frame today and weld some cuts... apparently if you can't weld, weld alot was the thought with the trans crossmember.

Lugnutz65 02-07-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVPhotos (Post 7037678)
Lugnutz the Porterbuilt crossmember moved the engine forward and up.

Does that mean the shifter stays in the rear position for your installation? If so, can you still run a bench seat?