The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 06-24-2011 10:43 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

I'm also deciding on which brake fluid I should go with. I really don't want to use DOT3. I heard DOT5 is silicone based. It has several improved properties over DOT3. One being it won't eat the paint. What are your thoughts?

Strodder 06-24-2011 10:44 PM

I've done a few drive shafts. Have the drive line guy tell you where to measure from. He should have yokes to sell you too. It's easy. Not worth your time to find a used yoke. ;)

Strodder 06-24-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4754302)
I'm also deciding on which brake fluid I should go with. I really don't want to use DOT3. I heard DOT5 is silicone based. It has several improved properties over DOT3. One being it won't eat the paint. What are your thoughts?

Yes DOT 5. I'm going to throw out all my DOT 3

Alan's Classic 06-24-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4754306)
I've done a few drive shafts. Have the drive line guy tell you where to measure from. He should have yokes to sell you too. It's easy. Not worth your time to find a used yoke. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4754309)
Yes DOT 5. I'm going to throw out all my DOT 3

Thanks Dennis

Did a search on how to measure a drive shaft and found this place that I think had a good sheet to use.

dennysdriveshaft.com

198plus 06-25-2011 12:02 AM

Alan I've got a drive shaft complete that came out of my truck with 350 trans, that should be the right length...If you used your rear perch mount holes on engine. Let me know you can have it.

Strodder 06-25-2011 09:43 AM

Thanks Allan.

TR65 06-25-2011 08:10 PM

Hey Alan,

I run DOT 5 in my truck (and a lot of other vehicles in the past). Any fluid that will eat your paint when you spill a little bit is not for me. It is supposed to be a little more spongy than DOT 3. But it doesn't absorb water and has a higher boiling temp than DOT3. Expensive though.

TR

Strodder 06-25-2011 09:15 PM

A little tip. Plain water will neutralise DOT 3. If you rinse it off right away. :uhmk:

Bugeyev8 06-25-2011 11:43 PM

New catalyzed urethane paints are not supposed to be effected by brake fluid..but it still seems to...go figure that one out

I run the silicone in a car I built, you MUST remove all traces of dot 3 before using silicone, and it has been known to dissolve some seals ,I flushed the whole system with denatured alcohol 3 times before using the silicone, the silicone will give a harder pedal and it is harder to find and certain brands can't be mixed, I used the Napa brand and it works great and is cheaper than other brands

Oh and as far as the drive line, if you have a yoke push it in till it stops and pull it out 1/2 to 3/4" and measure from there to the rear flange, the drive shaft does not really move in and out too much, there are different types of yokes...long and short and car and truck

I just get a used drive line that is too long and get the drive line guy to shorten it put new u joints in and balance it, costs about 150$ out here in Ca, a whole new drive line will run 450$ out here

someone on here was able to use an aluminum one from a later truck in a short bed with no mods, I don't remember who at this moment but a search should turn that one up

Great progress on your truck...the work you have done looks awesome, keep it up !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4755713)
A little tip. Plain water will neutralise DOT 3. If you rinse it off right away. :uhmk:

Alan's Classic 07-02-2011 12:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4754486)
Alan I've got a drive shaft complete that came out of my truck with 350 trans, that should be the right length...If you used your rear perch mount holes on engine. Let me know you can have it.

Thanks Ronnie!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR65 (Post 4755636)
Hey Alan,

I run DOT 5 in my truck (and a lot of other vehicles in the past). Any fluid that will eat your paint when you spill a little bit is not for me. It is supposed to be a little more spongy than DOT 3. But it doesn't absorb water and has a higher boiling temp than DOT3. Expensive though.

TR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4755713)

Thanks Guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 (Post 4755976)
New catalyzed urethane paints are not supposed to be effected by brake fluid..but it still seems to...go figure that one out

I run the silicone in a car I built, you MUST remove all traces of dot 3 before using silicone, and it has been known to dissolve some seals ,I flushed the whole system with denatured alcohol 3 times before using the silicone, the silicone will give a harder pedal and it is harder to find and certain brands can't be mixed, I used the Napa brand and it works great and is cheaper than other brands

Oh and as far as the drive line, if you have a yoke push it in till it stops and pull it out 1/2 to 3/4" and measure from there to the rear flange, the drive shaft does not really move in and out too much, there are different types of yokes...long and short and car and truck

I just get a used drive line that is too long and get the drive line guy to shorten it put new u joints in and balance it, costs about 150$ out here in Ca, a whole new drive line will run 450$ out here

someone on here was able to use an aluminum one from a later truck in a short bed with no mods, I don't remember who at this moment but a search should turn that one up

Great progress on your truck...the work you have done looks awesome, keep it up !

Thanks, great info as well. My system is completely new so I don't have to worry about crossing fluids up. ;)

No progress on mine lately. But I did make a patch for Shannon's truck tonight just to see if I can do it. It still needs some trimming it's just a roughed out patch. It's the piece that catches all the debris in the cowl area.

Strodder 07-02-2011 10:20 AM

That's kewl Allan. :metal:

shortbed70 07-04-2011 07:43 PM

Nice patch!
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 07-09-2011 08:18 PM

alan what have you done to your truck lately? any updates????

Alan's Classic 07-11-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4767396)
That's kewl Allan. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 4771631)
Nice patch!
Posted via Mobile Device

:thumbs: Thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4780943)
alan what have you done to your truck lately? any updates????

Thanks for asking. I haven't done a darn thing in over two weeks. There are numerous reasons. The main one I can contribute it too is working in a shop with 100+ degree and 150% humidity all day I'm pretty much spent by the time I get home. I know I'm not the only one affected by the heat. I guess it's a good reason to be lazy. ;)

Strodder 07-11-2011 10:43 PM

Thanks for asking. I haven't done a darn thing in over two weeks. There are numerous reasons. The main one I can contribute it too is working in a shop with 100+ degree and 150% humidity all day I'm pretty much spent by the time I get home. I know I'm not the only one affected by the heat. I guess it's a good reason to be lazy. ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you/ I can't work in the humidity. When it's 110 here with very low humidity I can work in my shop. Lots of fans, and this year I installed a swamp cooler. Works good when it's a dry heat.

shortbed70 07-11-2011 11:36 PM

I've found my time is best used early in the morning when it's only 75 degrees out. This heat is no fun...Work in it all day welding then come home and work when it's 115 in the shop! No thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

awbrown 07-12-2011 06:27 PM

It has been too hot !! That's my excuse.. and I am waiting on parts...

Strodder 07-12-2011 08:48 PM

It was only 84 here today with low humidity, and a slight breeze. Couldn't ask for any better weather. :metal::metal::metal:

Alan's Classic 07-12-2011 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4785350)
I don't blame you/ I can't work in the humidity. When it's 110 here with very low humidity I can work in my shop. Lots of fans, and this year I installed a swamp cooler. Works good when it's a dry heat.

How does that swamp cooler work with bare metal present?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 4785510)
I've found my time is best used early in the morning when it's only 75 degrees out. This heat is no fun...Work in it all day welding then come home and work when it's 115 in the shop! No thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

:agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by awbrown (Post 4786740)
It has been too hot !! That's my excuse.. and I am waiting on parts...

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4787031)
It was only 84 here today with low humidity, and a slight breeze. Couldn't ask for any better weather. :metal::metal::metal:

Are you bragging? :haha:

Thought I would go out to the shop for a little bit to see where I ended. My cab to bed alignment is really confusing me. It's the same cab, bed and frame. The only thing that is different is new cab mounts. They also look to be installed correctly. I looked at a pic before teardown and it looked like it lined up a lot better. Nothing is tight right now, but everything is sitting on the frame. Thinking of shimming up the back of the cab. Both sides are the same.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1183694167

shortbed70 07-12-2011 11:36 PM

Hey Alan we could swap beds because mine is on the lower side for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palf70Step 07-13-2011 05:19 AM

Maybe the difference in the height of the bed is the bed wood?

Strodder 07-13-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4787444)
How does that swamp cooler work with bare metal present?

Are you bragging? :haha:

Thought I would go out to the shop for a little bit to see where I ended. My cab to bed alignment is really confusing me. It's the same cab, bed and frame. The only thing that is different is new cab mounts. They also look to be installed correctly. I looked at a pic before teardown and it looked like it lined up a lot better. Nothing is tight right now, but everything is sitting on the frame. Thinking of shimming up the back of the cab. Both sides are the same.

It works great because the shop is fully insulated. An extra $2,200.00, but really worth it. And yes I'm bragging :haha:
I have the same problem you have with lining up, but I yet to make cab and bed mounts.
http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/1965...83_6vBVL-L.jpg :haha::haha:

aggie91 07-13-2011 01:25 PM

Your cab/bed alignment looks off by a good 1/2" or more. Are you sure that the bed cross members are in the right locations? If you shim the cab won't that effect the core support/fender alignment too? I'm just guessing on the bed, from the pictures and what you did, I would think it should be off the other direction if any at all.

I know you will figure it out!
Posted via Mobile Device

1966chevytrucks 07-13-2011 01:42 PM

Just a question Is the back of the bed sitting right it kinda looks like bed to cab gap is angled?

daverod 07-13-2011 04:14 PM

Kinda what I was thinking too.;)