The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

OrrieG 03-13-2014 09:55 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Figured out the 4wd "in" lamp, the LED was wired in backwards. Attention to detail....All wiring tests out good. Next going to check fluids and fire it up this week end to see if anything leaks.

yossarian19 03-14-2014 12:17 AM

Finished / mounted the intake piping, thought briefly about trying to get it cranking before going to class.

akdg87 03-14-2014 12:49 AM

Fired it up, turbo spools...no leaks so far, tested starter turned out it was okay

Drakien 03-15-2014 12:29 AM

Just put vintage plates on it! It is legal to drive on the road! :D

yossarian19 03-15-2014 02:14 AM

Got the radiator fixed & reinstalled, went over the hoses I built a little. Started thinking about yet another iteration of the electric fan setup.

la hi 03-15-2014 09:23 AM

I bit the bullet and had a HD 700-r4 built(Middle class auto services granite shoals) and changed out the 200-4r. This required a drive shaft cut of approx 2" (55" c to c on the yoke).
Scottys in austin did a great job while I waited. They fixed a tight u joint, cut the shaft, balanced the finished product for about 150.

I learned my lesson, don't do it yourself, and had a shop in Kingsland (gods hot rod shop) recommended by the builder build a new trans mount, install the 700-r4, adjust the 454ci so that the thumper cam would idle at a stop light and idle rather than stall.

An expensive 2k project, however it is a really sweat ride now.

youngrodder 03-15-2014 01:30 PM

I primered all of my floor pans for my 53 Suburban. Getting closer to welding them in.
I also started rebuilding the rear barn door latches on the Suburban as well.

The warmer weather is encouraging.

Marc

Rednek13x 03-15-2014 01:58 PM

Waiting for it to warm up and the snow to melt to start to disassemble.

yossarian19 03-15-2014 05:57 PM

Picking at it, trying to get it to start after a long time sitting. No luck yet. Becoming concerned.

capnduane 03-15-2014 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Previous owner had installed a Aoogah horn and put the button under the dash, below the radio. I have the stock column and wheel on my 55 2nd, it does not have the horn wire down thru the column. So I relocated the horn button to one of the bolt holes on the column for the shifter handle.. OK for now, alot easier to sound the horn for the kids that I pass on the road, most get a big kick out of it! :lol:

Mac the Yankee 03-15-2014 09:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Found some bad repairs, holes, and a new crack in the windshield :D:

OrrieG 03-15-2014 09:48 PM

Tried to fire it but having starter issue. I think its shimming issues. One time it did try to run back fired thru the carb, so timing is a little to advanced. Will hit it again tomorrow.

mechanixman 03-16-2014 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much with the truck,
But I did get a minibike!
not bad for $80

crossfire84 03-16-2014 09:08 AM

sold my motorcycle yesterday now i have enough $$ to finish it off this summer and hit the road!

58CameoAZ 03-16-2014 10:55 PM

Well after 6 weeks of being laid up with an infection in my Right leg i was able to go out in my garage and get the rear end out of the 85 Corvette i got!
My Son came up for the day and spent it with me and that was the best Part!
he helped me pull the rear suspension out.
Next i need to get the front suspension out and motor and trans out as well,
But it really felt good to finally do something after being laid up!
Allen

SCHRUMGMC 03-16-2014 11:26 PM

Trying to figure out if my Vacuum Advance is the right one or not..Have a new Inline fuel filter one it though, hoping to get things sorted out as soon as possible

Dan in Pasadena 03-16-2014 11:32 PM

Not very much. Took her out front and washed her. Threw a Mexican blanket over the seat back cause it's really in poor condition. Took her on a run over to Orchards Hardware and got a few thumbs up - always a nice reminder to get back to work on her.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps1d952bf2.jpg

Sorry for lousy photo with the reflection on the glass:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps07e7ce3c.jpg

OrrieG 03-17-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6577225)
Tried to fire it but having starter issue. I think its shimming issues. One time it did try to run back fired thru the carb, so timing is a little to advanced. Will hit it again tomorrow.

Minor victory. After shimming the starter 4 times I got it to where the bendix engaged and turned over twice. The second time the engine fired and ran for about 30 seconds, enough to drain the carb bowl, but not enough to start drawing from the tank. Good news is no fluid leaks. Did sound like it has a slight miss, but could be the timing or carb sorting itself out. Tried to get it going again and the bendix just will not engage. Its a used starter. I'm going to get a new one and hopefully that will solve the problem.

55metalmonkey 03-17-2014 02:12 PM

Went out and got new plates and insurance in an effort to give the ol girl a shake down cruise. Found an oil leak off the timing chain cover that I have to deal with so I put the test drive on hold, it was pouring rain anyway and the last thing I wanted was to run into a problem on the side of the road in crap weather on my first drive.......... this waiting is killing me:(

58-GMC 03-17-2014 05:18 PM

Finally started disassembly of the front metal to make way for some Porterbuilt and Accuair goodies.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9177d30e.jpg

OrrieG 03-17-2014 06:22 PM

Found out if you are a good customer of local NAPA store you can walk in with a FUBAR starter with their id tag and number and no receipt on it and walk out with a new one under life time warranty.

tbrown5079 03-20-2014 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After all the stressing out over the fuel system I went to the local guy that does my hoses and got it started. All that stress over nothing. I pick up the hard line tomorrow, then measure for the braided hose to the fuel rail.

la hi 03-20-2014 09:16 PM

I bit the bullet again and had my inner fenders installed by Gods hot rod shop. I tried it once and said forget it.
57 swb

lgoodso1 03-20-2014 09:19 PM

Worked on disassembling my leaf springs on my 57 TF sandblasted and primed the springs.

Kodiaks53 03-20-2014 11:20 PM

Finally got the power steering pump pulley off the shaft and cleaned up the pump. Got the pump located on the engine and the new March pulleys should be here tomorrow from Summit :)