The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

ruffrida2005 07-24-2011 04:20 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Hey Alan, my truck had a replaced wood bed when I bought it and it had the rubber pads. You can see in the pic of it turned upside down where they were. You'll see the black area on the crossbars, and one of the pads is still on in the upper left of the pic.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...5/100_2109.jpg

Sorry I dont have a pic with it mounted, but the bed gap was pretty darn close. I'll see if I can find a pic.

XtechX 07-25-2011 05:17 PM

Hey Alan, I got a question for you. I see that you used a 72 rearend in your truck, so I was wondering what you are doing for your emergency brake set up? Can I use the e brake cables out of the old 65 rearend and hook it up or is the 72 way different? Right now I dont have any 72 cable hardware. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

Strodder 07-25-2011 07:44 PM

I'm using a 73 rear end, and using a foot e-brake & cables from the same year.:metal:

Alan's Classic 07-26-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 4807930)
Very nice lookin shirts Alan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Greg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4807998)
Hey Alan, my truck had a replaced wood bed when I bought it and it had the rubber pads. You can see in the pic of it turned upside down where they were. You'll see the black area on the crossbars, and one of the pads is still on in the upper left of the pic.

Sorry I dont have a pic with it mounted, but the bed gap was pretty darn close. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Thanks for the pic. That helps explain the pads. Kind od. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 4809950)
Hey Alan, I got a question for you. I see that you used a 72 rearend in your truck, so I was wondering what you are doing for your emergency brake set up? Can I use the e brake cables out of the old 65 rearend and hook it up or is the 72 way different? Right now I dont have any 72 cable hardware. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

Yes, that's what I did. I have to figure out where at all ties together at the trans xmember. I've got a CPP tranny xmember. After running into this problem others have suggested going with the 66 ebrake cable setup. If your running a stock trans xmember then you can use the 65 ebrake cables in the rear axle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4810162)
I'm using a 73 rear end, and using a foot e-brake & cables from the same year.:metal:

Why didn't I think of that. :dohh:

Dropped my fuel tank, radiator and fan shroud off at the powdercoater. Should be back by this weekend. I also ordered the sending unit and tail light bezels.

Alan's Classic 07-30-2011 12:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my parts back from the PC. It beats trying to paint aluminum. The fins of the radiator were not done for cooling reasons. He said if it had lead or solder in the radiator he couldn't do it due to the baking temp of 400*.

flips72 07-30-2011 09:16 PM

looks good, is that a boyds tank? you should be driving it soon at the rate your going.

Alan's Classic 08-01-2011 10:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4819580)
looks good, is that a boyds tank? you should be driving it soon at the rate your going.

Thanks and yes it is a Boyd tank.

Doing a little side job. So no work on the 65 right now. I did discover that I don't have the connector that plugs into the back of the tail light housing from the harness. I thought it was hard wired..........I was wrong. I thought about hard wiring it, but not sure yet. Note to self, don't throw anything away until the system is all finished up. :dohh: I don't have a pic of it, but if you know what I'm talking about where can I get them. I checked LMC, but they don't list them. I will get a pic if needed.

This side job needs a rear end the owner says. It's a 97 K10 with 355K on it. Other than jacking it up and spinning the tires is there a code? If so where would it be? Also what year range does this rearend fit? I will be looking for a used one.

chad64chevy 08-01-2011 11:04 PM

alan not to sure if this is what you are looking for but i think so!! on ebay look up: 62 63 64 65 66 rear body light harness! the seller is: (westgaclassics) ebat stores name is: west georgia classics) might be able to save on shipping seening that your n the same state!! i have a lot of things i look up saved and this is one of them!!

Alan's Classic 08-01-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4823141)
alan not to sure if this is what you are looking for but i think so!! on ebay look up: 62 63 64 65 66 rear body light harness! the seller is: (westgaclassics) ebat stores name is: west georgia classics) might be able to save on shipping seening that your n the same state!! i have a lot of things i look up saved and this is one of them!!

Thanks for the help Chad, I don't need the complete harness, just the quick disconnects that go to the brake light housing. ;)

65Custom 08-01-2011 11:48 PM

Here is one supplier but I have also seen them on other sites

http://www.classicparts.com/1962-66-...ctinfo/52-662/

greg65 08-02-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4823090)
Thanks and yes it is a Boyd tank.

Doing a little side job. So no work on the 65 right now. I did discover that I don't have the connector that plugs into the back of the tail light housing from the harness. I thought it was hard wired..........I was wrong. I thought about hard wiring it, but not sure yet. Note to self, don't throw anything away until the system is all finished up. :dohh: I don't have a pic of it, but if you know what I'm talking about where can I get them. I checked LMC, but they don't list them. I will get a pic if needed.

This side job needs a rear end the owner says. It's a 97 K10 with 355K on it. Other than jacking it up and spinning the tires is there a code? If so where would it be? Also what year range does this rearend fit? I will be looking for a used one.

The axle code is located on the glove box door. As soon as the Chevy dealership next door opens up I will let you know which code to look for.

Alan's Classic 08-02-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4823226)
Here is one supplier but I have also seen them on other sites

http://www.classicparts.com/1962-66-...ctinfo/52-662/

Thanks Kevin!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 4823545)
The axle code is located on the glove box door. As soon as the Chevy dealership next door opens up I will let you know which code to look for.

Thanks Greg. I posted the question here And Chevytech posted the RPO codes.

GU2 = 2.73
GU4 = 3.08
GU5 = 3.23
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

G80 = Eaton Gov-Loc limited slip unit

Alan's Classic 08-08-2011 09:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
About to get the side job finished up.

Yesterday, I tried to get something done. After figuring out the univeral fuel sender and retrieving the small vacumn cleaner nozzle that got stuck in the tank baffle. I discovered that the universal sender bolt pattern doesn't line up with Boyd's flange. That is where it is at now. I think I can oversize the holes a little and get enough adjustment to get the bolts in. Also the bolts that came with the sender is a different thread pitch than what is in the tank. I have to pick up some #10 32 bolts.

The float has to go to the front, because it hits the baffle if it points to the side.

Alan's Classic 08-11-2011 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a little over kill and not required. It's been nearly 20 years since I did some safety wire. I had the stuff to do it with so why not. Yeah, I know no one will ever see it except for this pic. ;)

It's not my best, but not to bad.

Strodder 08-12-2011 10:42 AM

Now your just showing off. :haha:

flips72 08-12-2011 04:18 PM

way to much free time:lol:

Palf70Step 08-12-2011 05:57 PM

You got that much cam to shake apart your take float thingie? ;)

Now I feel like I am in one of those old Marine C123 death traps. :rolleyes:

4dranch 08-12-2011 06:27 PM

Nice job Alan,
Brings back memories of working on the tail rotors on Blackhawks.

Alan's Classic 08-12-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4841286)
Now your just showing off. :haha:

Nahh

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4841763)
way to much free time:lol:

I wish, ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 4841919)
You got that much cam to shake apart your take float thingie? ;)

Now I feel like I am in one of those old Marine C123 death traps. :rolleyes:

Yeeeeeeeeeah, that's the reason.

I remember crawling into the tail section of the F-4 and getting hung on every piece of safety wire. Oh the memories. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 4841947)
Nice job Alan,
Brings back memories of working on the tail rotors on Blackhawks.

Thanks David, ;)

padresag 08-12-2011 09:42 PM

Alan; you did make some A pillar gutters did you not. I can remember you doing some. did you use them as 198 said that you didn't. easier to ask then go back through he thread
ron

Alan's Classic 08-12-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 4842226)
Alan; you did make some A pillar gutters did you not. I can remember you doing some. did you use them as 198 said that you didn't. easier to ask then go back through he thread
ron

Yes i did make one.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC03223.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/DSC03221.jpg

It turned out pretty good. i never installed it. That's about the time 198 decided to buy his own shop and do it himself. ;)
The pics are in his build. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=955

BTW Ron, I believe you told me before about a product to use on wood to remove water stains. If that is true can you tell me again. I'll do another thread search to seee if I can find it.

EDIT: found it,Here
Quote:

oxalic acid more than likely would have removed those stains

padresag 08-12-2011 10:33 PM

you didn't even give me chance to respond. if you do use the oxalic acid, neutralize it with acetic acid(vinegar) and the rinse with clear water; preferably distilled as a lot of water has iron in it and can stain it with small spots esp oaks
ron

chad64chevy 08-20-2011 02:21 PM

alan any updates?? i havent done anything but order some more parts! i win on ebay some straight painted front and rear bumpers with all brackets and the splash guards for $185, i dont think that was bad! im making my gas filler plate today too, its like yours but a lil higher up on the side and upside down with a flash mount cap if that makes sense to you!! ill get some pictures later or tomorrow when i'm done making it! anyways looking good, i know you should be just about done by now!!

Alan's Classic 08-25-2011 07:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 4842311)
you didn't even give me chance to respond. if you do use the oxalic acid, neutralize it with acetic acid(vinegar) and the rinse with clear water; preferably distilled as a lot of water has iron in it and can stain it with small spots esp oaks
ron

:haha: sorry. I was able to sand out the stains with 180.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4855435)
alan any updates?? i havent done anything but order some more parts! i win on ebay some straight painted front and rear bumpers with all brackets and the splash guards for $185, i dont think that was bad! im making my gas filler plate today too, its like yours but a lil higher up on the side and upside down with a flash mount cap if that makes sense to you!! ill get some pictures later or tomorrow when i'm done making it! anyways looking good, i know you should be just about done by now!!

I wish I could hae put mine up higher, but the side trim was in the way.

I got the bed wood sanded down today. I also included pic of the fuel filler hose and vent. I need one more plug for the tank and I can cross the fuel system off the list. The filler hose looks like it is slanted awya from the tank, but it's an opticall illusion. It is actually level. I wish it was slanted to the tank. ;)

scotts62 08-25-2011 07:58 PM

Sweet!!! :metal: