The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Marty68 05-28-2019 06:28 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

3 Attachment(s)
This weekend I installed a radiator overflow tank.

Scrubbed tailgate with 00 steel wool. Cleaning it

And remembered that a week ago my bug catcher was stuck and I sprayed it pb blaster.. no longer stuck.

The radiator leaks a bit around the "old radiator cap" just a bit

gigamanx 05-28-2019 08:26 PM

Finally getting some garage time and trying to wire up and install these gorgeous dials. Classic Instruments.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bd1d3f9d_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2c770e0d_c.jpg

gigamanx 05-28-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8533183)
This weekend I installed a radiator overflow tank.

Scrubbed tailgate with 00 steel wool. Cleaning it

And remembered that a week ago my bug catcher was stuck and I sprayed it pb blaster.. no longer stuck.

The radiator leaks a bit around the "old radiator cap" just a bit

Nice overflow tank! I went with bourbon :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4768/2...8c395dd8_c.jpg

MiraclePieCo 05-28-2019 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got waylaid by a box of kittens dumped at the local market. Took them to a shelter which took most of the day. Four wonderful little souls, full of love and the potential to change your life...

Then used the "5 minutes" I had left in the day to cut a craft paper carpet pattern for my seat pedestal.

MARTINSR 05-29-2019 12:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8533312)
Got waylaid by a box of kittens dumped at the local market. Took them to a shelter which took most of the day. Four wonderful little souls, full of love and the potential to change your life...

Then used the "5 minutes" I had left in the day to cut a craft paper carpet pattern for my seat pedestal.

Right on! On both accounts, you got something done on the truck and you saved a few fur balls that I hope will find a good home. My cat, was sort of the same thing, but just him, caught in a fence crying in the middle of the night and my niece went and got him he was only about a week old if that! I fed him with an eye dropper and he stayed in a carb board box next to our bed. That was 10 years ago and he has no idea what so ever what a bad day is even like since the day I got him.

I got out for my five minutes which wasn't easy, I really didn't feel like it and had to stick with the plan, or nothing would get done! I cut up the drivers side hood bracket and got it trail fit, needs a little work and I will weld it up. I also had to relieve the bottom of that area on the side of the cowl where the hinge bolts so it can go down further. I am telling you, cutting up the skin on the hood is childs play next to this mounting of the hinges!

Brian

Von Zipper 05-29-2019 02:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
at 24k my truck needed a bit of freshening up so I went to my sisters house. her backyard shop has a floor lift, which is crazy, right?. I checked the 4 link an all the bushings were blown out, called no limit an they said the early bushings were crap, uh ya, so they charged me a 100 bucks an I rebuilt the complete system. not optimum but I'll keep an eye on them and hope they last longer than 20k. otherwise I got to check pretty much every nut an bolt under my truck, changed the dif and trans oil, relocated a trans cooler and greased the sh*t out of it

Marty68 05-29-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8533248)
Nice overflow tank! I went with bourbon :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4768/2...8c395dd8_c.jpg

your holder is better

MiraclePieCo 05-29-2019 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Zipper (Post 8533407)
at 24k my truck needed a bit of freshening up so I went to my sisters house. her backyard shop has a floor lift, which is crazy, right?. I checked the 4 link an all the bushings were blown out, called no limit an they said the early bushings were crap,

Is your sister married...available? ;-) Wow, those bushings are wasted!

Continued making carpet patterns today:

Johns327 05-29-2019 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have rebuilt window vents! Yeah not exciting to some, but these were on my not to excited to do list because of the glass incursion (I’ve broken truck glass before). Now there done, if only my truck was out of paint shop Hell I could install them.:metal:

DransportGarage 05-29-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8533803)
I have rebuilt window vents! Yeah not exciting to some, but these were on my not to excited to do list because of the glass incursion (I’ve broken truck glass before). Now there done, if only my truck was out of paint shop Hell I could install them.:metal:

Congrats and good job! I remember the cars I've done that have cozy wings. That's a non-trivial accomplishment!

Marty68 05-30-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8533884)
Congrats and good job! I remember the cars I've done that have cozy wings. That's a non-trivial accomplishment!

not on my "I will enjoy this" list o tasks. I remember working in the body shop fighting fitting parts back into aftermarket square body doors

NeoJuice 05-30-2019 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8533646)
your holder is better

Red Label for me.

MARTINSR 05-31-2019 01:00 AM

Well tonight was pretty amazing, it was Senior awards night at my daughters school and she got a number of them for her work in classes, and a scholarship from the cities school district office, and from the police dept! OMG I was so proud of her and her friends who also got awards, so damn proud of her!

I got home and went out for my five minutes on my truck just more fine tuning on the rear brackets. They are coming together well, things are looking good!

Brian

idbeast 05-31-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8534369)
Well tonight was pretty amazing, it was Senior awards night at my daughters school and she got a number of them for her work in classes, and a scholarship from the cities school district office, and from the police dept! OMG I was so proud of her and her friends who also got awards, so damn proud of her!

I got home and went out for my five minutes on my truck just more fine tuning on the rear brackets. They are coming together well, things are looking good!

Brian

Congrats to your daughter!

My 5 minutes was just to get my starter installed...

MARTINSR 05-31-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8534454)
Congrats to your daughter!

My 5 minutes was just to get my starter installed...

Thanks, yep, it is pretty funny, same school I went to but I was out in the parking lot spinning donuts instead of getting awards like she does. LOL

Brian

Marty68 05-31-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8534485)
Thanks, yep, it is pretty funny, same school I went to but I was out in the parking lot spinning donuts instead of getting awards like she does. LOL

Brian

donuts needed to be spun. don't beat yourself up over it.

DransportGarage 05-31-2019 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The REPLACEMENT rear window (See post #3259 for the story) came yesterday and went in today. My brand new tube of 3M 08609 urethane sealant was no good - cured. Went to Autozone and paid my $32+ to replace that as well. Oh yeah, and Uncle Remus was right about the tar baby! Can't tell you how many times I had to clean up.

So, I slathered the non-curing sealant onto the flange and put the gasket on just before I remembered that I hadn't shot any black paint around the inside surround. That meant the day finished off with extra masking of the window and a little painting. (Thus the masking paper on the inside of the glass.)

Overall it went well and looks reasonably great.

dsraven 05-31-2019 05:00 PM

idbeast,
have you tried to get the battery terminals connected? is there room with the hold down part on the battery?

idbeast 06-01-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8534711)
idbeast,
have you tried to get the battery terminals connected? is there room with the hold down part on the battery?

I can't use the battery hold down, I'm going to get a 1" X 1/8" steel bar and drill it on the ends then powder coat it Black for now. The battery was a 780 CCA with a 4 year warranty for $60 so I'll make do with it for now!

1project2many 06-01-2019 05:39 AM

Now that we have four kids there's no room in the cab for everyone and the poor truck spends most of its time parked. But yesterday I took it into work and changed oil and inspected it. The truck did great on the nearly 90 mile commute and only complained about oil on the clutch disc. In the afternoon I drove it to my son's school to pick him up and later we took it downtown to do some errands. My son discovered the that the vent windows open about halfway through the trip which was hilarious. I was hoping to take the truck to work today but they're forecasting rain so maybe not. Either way I'm hoping for plenty of seat time this summer.

idbeast 06-01-2019 10:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Core support and Radiator are in... Today is bend and install Transmission cooler lines day.

MARTINSR 06-02-2019 11:59 AM

Looking good! I haven't gotten out to mine in two days. Good to see someone getting something done!

Brian

MiraclePieCo 06-02-2019 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8535573)
Looking good! I haven't gotten out to mine in two days. Good to see someone getting something done!
Brian

Some inspiration for you Brian:

MARTINSR 06-03-2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8535883)
Some inspiration for you Brian:

Thanks! I got some more done on the hood, but mostly just figuring out what to do. I also got the drivers fender raised up a bit. One of the things I did at the Goodguys show today was to look at hood and fender fit on these trucks and I saw for sure that the fender was too low. So I got that done, and will get back to the hood tomorrow night.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 06-03-2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8532492)
The wife and I went for a nice cruise...

Congrats on your TOTM victory Mark!