The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

special-K 10-08-2022 09:28 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

2 Attachment(s)
I got that summer kitchen closed-in and free-standing, and beginning on the cornice. All cleaned up for the big party today, Ocmoberfest! This guy's nickname is Mo. People began arriving yesterday, so I shut down early and joined them.
Attachment 2223116
Attachment 2223117

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9131829)
this afternoon after my wife got home from work,i loaded up her car for a roadtrip starting tomorrow morning,bright and early.we're taking off for a run to Medina,Ohio to see old friends who were supposed to come here this summer but the man is sick,fighting cancer and not doing well,so if he and his wife can't get here,we'll get to him.i'm not looking forward to this but i am.we'd like to see them but it's going to the hardest thing leaving to head home,knowing we're not likely to see him again.terrible.

That will be the hard part, leaving. I hope the best for your visit.

Since the first of the year I have two friends both diagnosed with terminal cancer, both given 3-5 years. But I am fortunate that both are close enough to visit often. It's just hard knowing these are their best days now and the nature of visits will change.

72c20customcamper 10-08-2022 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking good Tim .

Brought down the last load of wood . Three loads and didn’t even make a dent in my woodpile . That a 6x14 trailer

3757chevy 10-08-2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9131829)
this afternoon after my wife got home from work,i loaded up her car for a roadtrip starting tomorrow morning,bright and early.we're taking off for a run to Medina,Ohio to see old friends who were supposed to come here this summer but the man is sick,fighting cancer and not doing well,so if he and his wife can't get here,we'll get to him.i'm not looking forward to this but i am.we'd like to see them but it's going to the hardest thing leaving to head home,knowing we're not likely to see him again.terrible.

Safe trip , hope you have a good visit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9131923)

Since the first of the year I have two friends both diagnosed with terminal cancer, both given 3-5 years. But I am fortunate that both are close enough to visit often. It's just hard knowing these are their best days now and the nature of visits will change.

That is the hard part about getting older ,the more Friends we lose. Live life like there's no tomorrow.

Steeveedee 10-08-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9132064)

That is the hard part about getting older ,the more Friends we lose. Live life like there's no tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm seeing it my life, too. People's lives winking out while we watch. :(

allchevy58 10-09-2022 12:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some work done today on footings for new house.

special-K 10-09-2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

... That is the hard part about getting older ,the more Friends we lose. Live life like there's no tomorrow.

Yeah, so true. The one friend is my brother-in-law I am close with. He's the guitar player I have shown in the music thread and my "kayak on the river: buddy. Out of the group of four buddies who hung together in HS I am the only one living. I'm only 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 9132185)

That's doing a whole lot not on your truck. Congratulations on building a new house

72c20customcamper 10-09-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 9132185)

Nice.

We have to go down 42 inches for footings

special-K 10-09-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9132235)
Nice.

I noticed the "shallow" footers as well. You're at 42", ey? My b.i.l. in Maine says 48" up there. We are at 30" here and up in Western Maryland it's 36". I found out recently that the counties surrounding Wash, DC only need to go 24". I haven't seen the ground freeze a foot deep since I can't remember.

72c20customcamper 10-09-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9132240)
I noticed the "shallow" footers as well. You're at 42", ey? My b.i.l. in Maine says 48" up there. We are at 30" here and up in Western Maryland it's 36". I found out recently that the counties surrounding Wash, DC only need to go 24". I haven't seen the ground freeze a foot deep since I can't remember.

Ya were actually in the 36 zone but the town feels it’s better to go further . I’ve actually dug a few holes by hand here last February. Ground was frozen about 8 inches . Very dry area so I’m sure the wet area was much deeper .

Steeveedee 10-09-2022 08:40 PM

I'd rather dig deeper than repair a building after it heaved from frozen ground.

Went over the rental house and removed all the mini-blinds that the renters trashed, and tore out some shelving that my F-i-L put up in the garage many decades ago. I managed to rip out some nice 1" X 12" planks with nice tight grain from some of the shelves. Those planks are well over 50 years old, so they'll need TLC when machining for a project- they'll be a bit brittle from age, for new work. I'm talking like 16 growth rings per inch. It'll be beautiful after I run it through the planer.

joedoh 10-09-2022 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i got a nice light duty electric hydraulic press today. I even said I am going out to work on the truck and not get distracted by stuff. whoops.

special-K 10-09-2022 10:06 PM

I tell you, the best wood is salvage

Getter-Done 10-09-2022 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well over the weekend:mm:

I done something I should have not Done.

I bought another Lathe.:lol:

Attachment 2223535

Steeveedee 10-09-2022 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9132420)
I tell you, the best wood is salvage

I remember buying wood for projects all the way back when I was in junior high, and that stuff was all about tight knots and small growth rings. After high school and the Navy, ('76) when I went to work on stuff I couldn't believe what the wood looked like. We left some of the shelves that had oil stains over there, but I'm going to look more closely at them. One problem is that my F-i-L put a hose bibb in the garage, and it sticks out of the wall to the edge of the shelves. I could scalp all those shelves off the wall and put in a shorter nipple, but those shelves have stains from oil cans being stored on them. I don't know if there would be decent wood left if I planed those shelves down. I'll have to really look. Wood one gets nowadays looks like feces. My son does handyman work and fixed some chairs for little kids at a local private school. The wood he got was grown in New Zealand, and I kid you not, the growth rings were 1/4"!

allchevy58 10-09-2022 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9132235)
Nice.

We are doing 10" footings and 36" stem walls, wanted a 4' crawl space. We'll be back filling a little bit. Got more done today.

67C10Step 10-11-2022 10:10 AM

Was going to put a new exhaust on my old truck over the weekend but ended up:

- changing oil and rotating tires on the 4runner
- working on a leaking sink in the laundry room
- golf cart went down and had to troubleshoot to the micro switch in the pedal. Waiting on a new one to arrive. I have a drawer with probably 12-18 micro switches and none would work, of course.
- cut a large pine tree for a neighbor and also the last one I wanted out of my yard

special-K 10-11-2022 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9132440)
I remember buying wood for projects all the way back when I was in junior high, and that stuff was all about tight knots and small growth rings. After high school and the Navy, ('76) when I went to work on stuff I couldn't believe what the wood looked like. We left some of the shelves that had oil stains over there, but I'm going to look more closely at them. One problem is that my F-i-L put a hose bibb in the garage, and it sticks out of the wall to the edge of the shelves. I could scalp all those shelves off the wall and put in a shorter nipple, but those shelves have stains from oil cans being stored on them. I don't know if there would be decent wood left if I planed those shelves down. I'll have to really look. Wood one gets nowadays looks like feces. My son does handyman work and fixed some chairs for little kids at a local private school. The wood he got was grown in New Zealand, and I kid you not, the growth rings were 1/4"!

A lot of clear white pine I get is either from New Zealand or Sweden. It amazes me. I guess worldwide ocean transport is so common these days it's more economical. Here are end cuts from the siding and a ceiling joist on that 150+ year old building I'm working on. An interesting jog in the grain I'm curious about
Attachment 2223723
Attachment 2223724

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 9132444)
We are doing 10" footings and 36" stem walls, wanted a 4' crawl space. We'll be back filling a little bit. Got more done today.

Moving it along. Sounds like a good plan.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9132861)

- golf cart went down and had to troubleshoot to the micro switch in the pedal. Waiting on a new one to arrive. I have a drawer with probably 12-18 micro switches and none would work, of course.
- cut a large pine tree for a neighbor and also the last one I wanted out of my yard

You'll never get that exhaust on there if you keep procrastinating like that :lol:

Sounds like me. I hardly ever get anything done as planned. Always get "steered" into getting something else taken care of. And I that's not from having a wife! :cool:

Steeveedee 10-11-2022 11:25 AM

I got nothing on that, unless maybe something damaged the tree and it just didn't "heal" right?

richard2717 10-11-2022 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been cleaning out storage trailers and inventorying what I actually need and what can go. I have about 15 different ones of these cold air balloons that no longer get used due to zoning restrictions. 30' tall and a bugger to setup and take down by myself. Takes 3 guys on top of a gas canopy if the wind is blowing :lol:

CG 10-11-2022 01:24 PM

I bet my neighbors would love me if I had one of those in my front yard =)

Boog 10-11-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9132861)

Dang Bill. Slow down a bit. You are pushing yourself way too hard on a weekend. :lol:

We made a trip to south La to see the new grandson.

67C10Step 10-11-2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9132920)
Dang Bill. Slow down a bit. You are pushing yourself way too hard on a weekend. :lol:

Congrats on the new grandson! That's a worthy trip any time.

I hear you. Didn't really even take the time to consume any cold drinks of my favorite variety either. In truth, the trees took the most time. The one at my neighbors was all of 90 feet tall. Took it down and limbed/bucked it up so he could push it into a burn pile. My pine was a bit easier at only about 50-60 feet tall. Had it down and limbed/bucked in about an hour and a half.

Forgot that a third neighbor came over to get two logs out of the tree I cut and I helped him put those and a few others in the backstop he was building in his back yard for a new pistol range.

This weekend is off the table. Wife and I are heading to northwest AR for the War Eagle craft show and then I have to head up to Branson to play golf with a VP of my company on Sunday before a big meeting on Monday/Tuesday. Yeah, tough life.

72c20customcamper 10-11-2022 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9132920)

Congratulations on the new grandson . I have two grandsons and a granddaughter. There fun and when the get cranky I can give them back . :lol:

Went from bodyman to stone mason in one day . Fixed the area that the top of the drywell gave in . Fixed that this spring finally found the time to finish up . Didn’t take a picture after I spread the joint sand

Boog 10-11-2022 10:52 PM

Thank you.

You really are a jack of all trades and I'd bet your wife is too. ;)

mr.mud1 10-15-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9131923)
I got that summer kitchen closed-in and free-standing, and beginning on the cornice. All cleaned up for the big party today, Ocmoberfest! This guy's nickname is Mo. People began arriving yesterday, so I shut down early and joined them.
Attachment 2223116
Attachment 2223117

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9132089)
Yeah, I'm seeing it my life, too. People's lives winking out while we watch. :(

thanks guys.we made it home last night.we did about 750 miles last Saturday and another 500 or so on Sunday, arriving at supper time in Medina,Ohio.stayed Saturday night in Albany,NY at a Days Inn,what a dump and $250.00.a real deal??anyway it was awful nice to see our friends although Bob doesn't look well,very thin and frail,but his wife did say after we were there a couple days,that he seemed better than he had in a while.he had a few appointments Monday and Tuesday but none Wednesday so they asked us to stay Wednesday and we did but then that meant leaving Thusday early as my wife had to work today,,doing 750 or so again Thursday,stopping in New Boston,NH at Happy Dans to pick up parts i had shipped to him(thanks Dan) with another 500 or so to do yesterday to get home.a stay at a Best Western in Portland,Maine was very nice but it poured rain most of the way home. i think when we said our goodbye's Thursday and left,we drove a few hundred miles without the radio on or saying a word to each other,very sad.he says they're going in Decemeber to their winter place in Arizona and then hoping to fly here to see our new place.i hope they can.