The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Nev68 03-28-2014 11:43 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Started fitting the Vintage air AC kit (what could possibly go wrong?) ;)

tbrown5079 03-29-2014 11:38 PM

Finished the gas line. Had all the fluids in so tried to start. Fired right up and runs real smooth , but no throttle response. Need to hook up the OBD11 port. Seems like no commmunication between the PCM and the throttle body.

OrrieG 03-30-2014 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wiper fluid lines, tighted up fan belts, reviewed list it got much smaller this winter (new on right).

Russell Ashley 03-31-2014 03:28 PM

Man you are more organized than I am. Do you use a spreadsheet, like Excel, to make your to-do lists? How are your headings labeled? I don't have a list like that, I usually just know in my mind what I want to do next and go with it. Or get sidetracked and do something else, LOL.

One thing I have done with this truck is kept a spread sheet with a very accurate listing of parts, date purchased, where I got them, and how much I've spent. I've never done that with a project before.

OrrieG 03-31-2014 04:28 PM

I too have a cost spreadsheet. Both are in excel, headings are Work, Task and Buy. Work is broken down into clean, fabricate, sand, paint and install. Early on it was easy to stay on track without it, but then I found myself going in circles because I had forgotten to buy something, or backtracking. Also needed a sense of what I could do that did not require funds, or like last year over the winter that was not temperature sensitive. I also find that with so much else going on with my business, wifes stuff, taking care of my Dad's affairs, ect. once I get something down on paper my mind can focus on other stuff.

capnduane 03-31-2014 04:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got real tired of looking at the ugly greasy sheet of plywood in the bed of my pickup. But didn't want to spend mucho bucks at this time for a fancy bed redo (with walnut burl wood and polished chrome strips). Ya Right! Maybe someday when I win the Lotto! The original wood and metal is still there, but 60 years old, whats left of it! So, I did what any old carpenter would do under my circumstances, I sided over it. A sheet of T111 exterior siding, a few deck screws, and a quart of "Varathane stain+poly" Doesn't look to bad from 20ft, and If it gets beat up (which it will, cause I use my truck) I can touch it up with more Varathane. The Varathane is water based and goes on nice.:lol:

rollenhard 03-31-2014 04:50 PM

Nice capnduane! Looks brand new

ChuckDriver 04-01-2014 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flushed and re-bleed the brakes. And since I had the wheels off I washed and waxed the back sides. Its an illness I know!!

SCHRUMGMC 04-01-2014 12:32 PM

Just bought a new Air Filter to replace the old one, that was filthy

4DSEVEN 04-01-2014 06:59 PM

Mounted the box and rear fenders. Waiting for the exhaust tip for the other side and will bolt them up. Still have a few things to do but ready for spring.:metal:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...psea2bd284.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 04-01-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 6606106)
Flushed and re-bleed the brakes. And since I had the wheels off I washed and waxed the back sides. Its an illness I know!!

Well, if it's an illness I'm afflicted too!

nvrdone 04-02-2014 09:10 AM

Leaving in a bit & driving the truck for the first time to work. Its 12 miles so shouldn't be a problem. Wish me luck.

Ozzy2013 04-02-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnduane (Post 6604825)
Got real tired of looking at the ugly greasy sheet of plywood in the bed of my pickup. But didn't want to spend mucho bucks at this time for a fancy bed redo (with walnut burl wood and polished chrome strips). Ya Right! Maybe someday when I win the Lotto! The original wood and metal is still there, but 60 years old, whats left of it! So, I did what any old carpenter would do under my circumstances, I sided over it. A sheet of T111 exterior siding, a few deck screws, and a quart of "Varathane stain+poly" Doesn't look to bad from 20ft, and If it gets beat up (which it will, cause I use my truck) I can touch it up with more Varathane. The Varathane is water based and goes on nice.:lol:

Wow looks really good!

lgoodso1 04-03-2014 10:35 PM

Installed new fuel tank in my 57, worked on sandblasting frame parts and steering links. Getting closer to start on getting a rolling frame

brikar 04-05-2014 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
recovered my steering wheel to match the interior

Russell Ashley 04-05-2014 01:25 PM

Sweet! Nice job.

Rednek13x 04-05-2014 01:30 PM

just did a $1,200 order off of summit for my engine

oldman3 04-05-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brikar (Post 6613039)

Very nice work, looks great...Jim

Johnny49 04-05-2014 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Separated the hubs from the front drums, which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Unfortunately, it was also a lot easier to ruin the hub with the small sledgehammer I was using to drive the studs out, as you can see with the hub in the foreground. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. Didn't even notice it until afterwards. Maybe the wife is right when she calls me "Bam-Bam."

In addition to that little example of amateur genius, you'll notice that the studs are still sticking through the backing ring on the left. That's because they had been welded to the ring. No idea why. I was also reminded what happened when I originally tried to have all the drums turned. Not enough material left to turn on the right front, and one of the rears was warped (according to the shop guy). Which is why I figured all four should be replaced. And because I wasn't being careful with the sledgehammer, now I need the hubs too. I know we'll be able to find them somewhere, just a matter of making it fit within the budget...

Nev68 04-05-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brikar (Post 6613039)

Great job. Can we see it installed?:)

tbrown5079 04-05-2014 07:23 PM

Cut, bent and installed the last piece of brakeline. Will fill and bleed next week. If I get my throttle issue solved I could drive around the block.

apache200 04-05-2014 08:42 PM

Bought some new chrome pieces for the truck today

OrrieG 04-05-2014 09:31 PM

Redoing the e-brake cable run, geometry was not right and it was not working. I hate welding on my nice shiney frame....

mr48chev 04-05-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny49 (Post 6613357)
Unfortunately, it was also a lot easier to ruin the hub with the small sledgehammer I was using to drive the studs out, as you can see with the hub in the foreground. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. Didn't even notice it until afterwards. Maybe the wife is right when she calls me "Bam-Bam."

In addition to that little example of amateur genius, you'll noticeurn loose that the studs are still sticking through the backing ring on the left. That's because they had been welded to the ring. No idea why. Which is why I figured all four should be replaced. And because I wasn't being careful with the sledgehammer, now I need the hubs too. I know we'll be able to find them somewhere, just a matter of making it fit within the budget...

There is a good chance that someone who is swapping to 5 lug hubs or someone going to an independent has good drums and hubs that they will turn loose of reasonably and are close enough so you don't have to pay shipping but just drive a few miles. Tell the wife that you want to take her for a ride but have a stop to make along the way.

brikar 04-05-2014 10:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nev68 (Post 6613647)
Great job. Can we see it installed?:)

here you go