The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My Facetruck thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752660)

special-K 06-01-2022 07:03 AM

Re: My Facetruck thread.

I haven't fixed the broken stud yet. I'd be afraid of welding to the block. You can't see in the hole and you are looking up at it. I can't imagine welding straight up above my face. I'm expecting, once I get under there are try, to left hand drill into the bolt shank and spinning it out. It shouldn't be seized in there, just broken off

davischevy 06-10-2022 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We were milling asphalt for new paving on a city street job, so I salvaged about 150 tons of waste for the drive to the new house.

FleetsidePaul 06-10-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9089318)
We were milling asphalt for new paving on a city street job, so I salvaged about 150 tons of waste for the drive to the new house.

Looks good and the price was right.

special-K 06-11-2022 10:55 AM

There you go. Looks like a nice place.

My road is the county line. I'm about mid way between town, where it begins off Main St, and MD26. Two roads shoot off of mine into the county across the road. That county takes care of the stretch between, where I live, and my county gets either end. My section was always rolly polly leftovers spread with a grader patchwork. Then 20 or more years ago they brought it up to regulation, widened with markings and guardrails. That's been getting pretty rough and been patched up here and there.

This week a contractor came along, milled down one lane, they paved right behind him. Then came back back on my side and it is all done and smooth as a racetrack. No grading at all. Everything is tight like they never touched it

special-K 06-11-2022 10:55 AM

There you go. Looks like a nice place.

My road is the county line. I'm about mid way between town, where it begins off Main St, and MD26. Two roads shoot off of mine into the county across the road. That county takes care of the stretch between, where I live, and my county gets either end. My section was always rolly polly leftovers spread with a grader patchwork. Then 20 or more years ago they brought it up to regulation, widened with markings and guardrails. That's been getting pretty rough and been patched up here and there.

This week a contractor came along, milled down one lane, they paved right behind him. Then came back back on my side and it is all done and smooth as a racetrack. No grading at all. Everything is tight like they never touched it

Steeveedee 06-11-2022 11:58 AM

^ That's how they did my street. Posted signs for no parking for the day. Grinder with a dump truck getting the spoils, and then a spreader and roller. One side of the street at a time, I guess so that if they have problems they can come back the next day if needed. Smart way to do it!

davischevy 06-11-2022 01:59 PM

This job included R&R of all the existing curb and sidewalks.

We are doing a bypass around the industrial park in a town just west of here. We are dump truck driver challenged so I may go work a few days if nobody replies to our pleas for help .

LT7A 06-12-2022 04:18 AM

Does that material eventually compress better than gravel? I'm wondering after it goes through the summer time, if it maybe starts to stick together by virtue of the bituminous component.

davischevy 06-12-2022 07:39 PM

I'm not sure what the heat will do to it.

Getter-Done 06-12-2022 10:46 PM

Quote:

I think after the heat wave this week.:lol:

You will be able to WhiteSmoke the tires on that stuff:ito:

FleetsidePaul 06-13-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Reminds me of a guy I knew that worked construction.

He added on a den to his house and I would say that at least 75% of it was built with leftovers from jobs, and it was a pretty dang nice den. It was big and he built it cheap.

I have another friend in construction and he saves anything leftover. His storage area is full of lumber and all kinds of building materials, even firewood. I guess after 40 years in construction it accumulates.

When I was working they were clearing stuff out. They were just throwing stuff away. There were 5 bolt cutters sitting by the dumpster. They were just throwing them away. AND I DIDN'T GRAB THEM! (IDIOT!! :dohh:) They sat there for 3 days before someone with brains finally took them.

Now I could use some bolt cutters and I'm kicking myself. It's amazing the amount of good stuff that just gets thrown out on the job.

davischevy 06-13-2022 04:54 PM

I spent a good part of the morning going to our yards scrounging. I am running water and sewer 300' and I won't have to buy anything. I fact, I have most of the pipe and fittings for the sanitary sewer in the house.

Tomorrow I will visit sites looking for lumber.

If only I could find a few loads of redi-mix concrete. :lol::lol:

72 tigger 06-13-2022 07:32 PM

When you get to the drywall stage, I’d suggest using full sheets instead of scrap pieces 😆

Steeveedee 06-13-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9090562)
When you get to the drywall stage, I’d suggest using full sheets instead of scrap pieces 😆

:lol: How fast can you run that tape bazooka?!

davischevy 06-13-2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9090562)

And the roofing.

special-K 06-14-2022 08:42 AM

That's a lot of work just taking out the gutter & sidewalk, then replacing. You guys get to the paving and that will be gravy work. No rain all week while they did my road. I can't get over how they milled a clean line on the edge of the road and laid the asphalt right back to it with not a speck of grading. Looks like they never did anything except the pavement is fresh and smooth.

I believe the asphalt content can vary with millings. The higher the content the better it compacts. It can be no different than crushed stone, which does compact.

I love it when I get to use up inventory. It's nice to not be buying everything, but also nice to reduce the stock. Right now I have stacks of cinder block, rebar, and reinforcement wire to do a slab and block walls in my cellar. All I need to buy is the concrete and mortar, but in the meantime I have that other stuff taking up space.

davischevy 06-24-2022 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Things move slow when you work alone.

72 tigger 06-24-2022 10:00 PM

Looks like a nice setting

Getter-Done 06-24-2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9094468)
Things move slow when you work alone.

That is when I get the most Done:metal::chevy:

special-K 06-25-2022 06:56 AM

Working all my life, getting a job done in the most efficient way was paramount. It meant everything. That's what makes or breaks you. It becomes second nature, just the way to get things done. But let me tell you, I enjoy nothing more than just getting something done now as long as it's at my own pace. I can get a lot done when I charge into it, and I do. But doing my own work I am happy no matter what the pace.

slomotion 06-25-2022 07:58 AM

This old fossil does everything slow ~ everyone knows continuous high RPM is detrimental.

I remain happily mediocre!

special-K 07-03-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomotion (Post 9094617)
This old fossil does everything slow ~ everyone knows continuous high RPM is detrimental.

I remain happily mediocre!

Well, going by the things I've seen you like to do, taking it slow is required to get it right. The shoe fits! :cool:. That is how I hope to live out my hands-on days.

Installed my Genuine GM made in China (Mainland)* obviously not the same application washer pump yesterday. Nipple points to the fender, not inward, and it is almost 1/4" taller. But I could twist it enough for the hose connection and push and squeeze it a lot and got it installed. I just hope it holds up as well as the actual GM part it left the factory with that this one was portrayed to be. How did they get Genuine GM Part for a '95 Suburban K2500 (or any other C/K) out of "You can make this one to work in it's place?

* That was printed on the box, as if mainland makes a difference. I think I'd rather have Taiwan :lol:

slomotion 07-03-2022 05:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9097241)
Well, going by the things I've seen you like to do, taking it slow is required to get it right. The shoe fits! :cool:. That is how I hope to live out my hands-on days.

Thank you Tim!
I'll take that as an invite... :) Here's the latest:lol:

davischevy 07-03-2022 11:52 PM

Slomotion, that's just plain cool.

special-K 07-04-2022 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomotion (Post 9097412)
Thank you Tim!
I'll take that as an invite... :) Here's the latest:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9097497)
Slomotion, that's just plain cool.

We like it and now that we have seen it we want to know more, Captain.