The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

Clyde65 07-12-2011 02:31 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

rockdriller, how did you do the repair? did you just piece it or what?

A.T. RockDriller 07-12-2011 03:12 PM

Clyde...
Someone had over-sized the square in height by 1/2" overall and drilled another set of tuner knob holes inboard of the oe's....
I made a plate with the correct dimension square and long enough to cover the new holes....short enough to miss the original ones.
I placed the plate inside the dash..(from the back) and welded it in place.
I patched it "overlap" style and leveled off my welds with a die-grinder leaving a bit of bondo work to do...but over-all turned out great.
The only actual "sculpting" that I had to do was below the repair where the contour changes. The rest was very close.
Maybe I should have done a "flush" graft, but I'm probably not that skilled.

Anyway....thanks for the props.

glos55 07-13-2011 06:24 AM

Installed new grille, headlights, bezels, parking light lenses, bezels, and painted white accent band around grille.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c3...y/100_0365.jpg

wutnxt 07-13-2011 01:00 PM

All I did was order more parts and pay for the last ones i just got.....planted my first money tree no sign of any growth as of yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

glos55

Really like the rims and caps your running.....nice fit

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

daverod 07-13-2011 01:15 PM

Wonder what happened to lakeroadster. I wanted to see his paint job.:waah: Was he a bad boy?

glos55 07-13-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4788226)
Wonder what happened to lakeroadster. I was hopping to see his paint job.:waah: Was he a bad boy?

Yeah Lake, what gives?

T Smith 07-13-2011 02:46 PM

I replaced all my lock cylinders with a set keyed alike from Classic Parts, now I need only carry one key and my glove compartment locks to boot, nice!

kieth 07-13-2011 04:48 PM

Almost finished the bed wood today, learned a lot...........loose is better keep a few 1/4 X 2 carriage bolts around to suck things into submission, take your time I am really impatient. Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...407491_vcsTLN8

wutnxt 07-13-2011 07:15 PM

The new engine mounts are all in and that puts it back another 6" and down another 2"......ready for the new engine thats almost ready to go . New cross member is in and the tranny is mocked up. Now we are cooking

dean jendro 07-14-2011 09:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my new radiator today from Entropy Radiator. Very nice!! Maybe this weekend I can mock up the front under hood sheetmetal and run the trans lines.

Turkey 07-14-2011 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 773876

Attachment 773875
started slickin off the sides

glos55 07-15-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 4788216)
All I did was order more parts and pay for the last ones i just got.....planted my first money tree no sign of any growth as of yet.

glos55

Really like the rims and caps your running.....nice fit

Thanks! I have the stock wheels that have been blasted and painted black base/clear, I was going to run them with a thin white wall but everyone seems to like the vette rallys with the spinner caps. p.s. my money tree isn't growing either!

samuellg1977 07-15-2011 10:55 PM

I took my truck down to Sango, TN with my daughter riding shotgun. We hit a rough patch on a bridge and the rearend hopped around a bit. My daughter looks at me from the passenger seat and says: "Slow down, Dad... You know you don't have AIRBAGS!!!" I laughed the rest of the way home.

wutnxt 07-15-2011 11:33 PM

Got my wheels back from being polished and my new tires mounted......it was a good day....

pdxhall 07-16-2011 03:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished removing the suspension and rear end from the frame and did some more cleaning up of the frame rails....getting closer to paint time for the rear frame rails.

iehotrod 07-16-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 4792953)
I finished removing the suspension and rear end from the frame and did some more cleaning up of the frame rails....getting closer to paint time for the rear frame rails.

That cab looks super clean in the picture. Is that still the Og paint?

markeb01 07-16-2011 03:05 PM

Pulled my battery tray, stripped off the battery corrosion and painted it with epoxy primer followed by battery terminal protective coating. Also installed an absorbent battery mat in the bottom of the tray. We’ll see if that makes any difference. I’m sure tired of needing to do it over every few months.

pdxhall 07-16-2011 03:52 PM

hotrod, yeah it's all original. 133,000 mile 2nd owner truck with very little rust. picked it up for 650 bucks.

iehotrod 07-16-2011 05:24 PM

Thats a deal!

awbrown 07-16-2011 08:56 PM

Drove mine around town in search of the perfect yard sale dresser .. finally found one at the community thrift store .......

64shortbox 07-16-2011 09:27 PM

I scored BIG TIME!! Nosing around the local self serve wrecking yard and found a very nice rust free drivers door for my 64 truck. There's not even a speaker hole cut in it. Got it out the gate for $51.53 including tax and a $3.00 core charge. Unfortunately the passenger door was smashed in at the door handle or I would have bought it too.

nachodog2 07-16-2011 11:10 PM

Finally got my drive shaft shortened, and installed it behind my t5. What a difference. It runs real good.
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 07-17-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 4794079)
I scored BIG TIME!! Nosing around the local self serve wrecking yard and found a very nice rust free drivers door for my 64 truck. There's not even a speaker hole cut in it. Got it out the gate for $51.53 including tax and a $3.00 core charge. Unfortunately the passenger door was smashed in at the door handle or I would have bought it too.

Great score! Welcome to the forum.

Andyboy 07-17-2011 02:26 AM

I tried to adjust the carb on my v6 305 but nothing it still bogs down when I press the gas pedal and the radiator was leaking from the top where the little hose goes but It was just idling. Sometimes I just want to sell it and have a ride that I can drive. :smoke:

A.T. RockDriller 07-17-2011 02:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyboy (Post 4794556)
I tried to adjust the carb on my v6 305 but nothing it still bogs down when I press the gas pedal and the radiator was leaking from the top where the little hose goes but It was just idling. Sometimes I just want to sell it and have a ride that I can drive. :smoke:

Andyboy....The OE Stromburg carb on your 305 is affectionately known as the "Petroleum Brake" for a reason.
You might try putting a Holley 500 on it and go from there.
She won't be go like a funny car, but you'll sure enjoy the difference.
Don't sell her on account of the OE carb.....That was just a mean trick from the engineers at GMC..........At least that's what I'm thinkin'.