The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

LONGHAIR 11-28-2022 06:29 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I spent the entire 4 day weekend working on/in my garage. It is in dire need of improvement to turn it into a functional wood-shop.
I have started by adding some additional collar-ties and framing the walls to be insulated. Moving and adding a few circuits and lights, etc comes next.
It has had adequate light for years, but they are very out-dated and likely costing me a lot. There were 6 fixtures with two 8' fluorescent bulbs each, but they were the old style "single bullet" at 60 watts per, that's 720 watts every time I hit the switch. Totally unnecessary in the days of LEDs.
So far I have only added two 4' units to replace them, but I'm not sure I like them. They are very bright and the ceiling is only 8 feet high.
Most of the time over the last two weekends has been in just moving/purging to make room to do this, the other end is quite a mess.

best view 11-28-2022 07:53 PM

Hey it’s a good start :metal:

special-K 11-28-2022 10:37 PM

Now that my barn is moved there's the piddly task of repopulating it. I'm looking at the heap of Florescent fixtures from my old shop ('07) and saving for the next one ('??) and realize they ain't gonna be happenin'

72c20customcamper 12-01-2022 10:18 AM

Right now I’m listening to the sounds of generators . Power has been out since 2am not expected to be restored until late afternoon . Had some very strong winds last night still have some strong gusts today .

special-K 12-01-2022 10:37 AM

I hope you get power back sooner than later. really gusty winds for sure. Still whipping it up today with a high of 40*. At least it's sunny!

I got some firewood cut split and stored yesterday. Nice to have it but it will be 24hr cycle wood, as I call it. Needs a day stacked around the woodstove before using. And the moisture will soon be frozen, so it will be thaw/dry/burn. Messy and inconvenient, but better than nothing when the cold north winds blow.

CG 12-01-2022 10:45 AM

Going back to work at Lowes today. Retired six months ago, but I actually really liked working there. I went to a get together a few weeks back for one of our team that was moving up to a higher position at another store. Told my old boss that I missed working there and would consider coming back if they ever had a part time opening. She said I do, 5AM to 10AM, we would love to have you back. So I grabbed it up. First few days I start at 8 and do (re-do) training on the computers and I think Monday Im back at the 5-10 slot.

I hope it isnt a mistake haha, my honey said dont worry about it, if you find its not what you were hoping you can always hang it up.

72c20customcamper 12-01-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9150247)
Going back to work at Lowes today. Retired six months ago, but I actually really liked working there. I went to a get together a few weeks back for one of our team that was moving up to a higher position at another store. Told my old boss that I missed working there and would consider coming back if they ever had a part time opening. She said I do, 5AM to 10AM, we would love to have you back. So I grabbed it up. First few days I start at 8 and do (re-do) training on the computers and I think Monday Im back at the 5-10 slot.

I hope it isnt a mistake haha, my honey said dont worry about it, if you find its not what you were hoping you can always hang it up.

5am? I don’t get out of bed till 8:30 :lol:

Good thing I have the wood stove was 27 last night and it’s 31 right now . The house is 69 .

I look at the bright side of it though our power comes up one distribution line so I figure a tree came down . So I’ll hopefully get a load or two of future firewood . Unless it’s cottonwood or pine .

CG 12-01-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9150250)

When I was there for a little over two years I worked 5am to 2pm. Ive always been an early riser even as a teen. Its a one mile commute so that's another plus. My wife retires in January, she will probably stay in bed until 7. That will give her a few hours of peace and quiet until I get home haha.

special-K 12-01-2022 12:24 PM

I've been waking up at 5 so long I stopped using an alarm clock over 25 years ago. If I sleep till 6, due to waking up and not getting back to sleep for a while, I'm behind all day. If I wake up and it's not still dark I feel I slept half the day away. Raising a family, that early morning time was my peace and solitude time. My time!

dieseldawg142 12-01-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9150276)
If I wake up and it's not still dark I feel I slept half the day away. Raising a family, that early morning time was my peace and solitude time. My time!

same here. get up at 4 for work at 5. it's very peaceful and i love watching the world wake up- my quiet time

Boog 12-01-2022 02:00 PM

After early rising for over 40 years, 3 years into retirement now and I still cannot sleep past 4 or 5.

Stocker 12-01-2022 02:15 PM

I see I am not the only one in this crowd. Been retired well over 13 years and I still wake up around 4:30 almost every morning, no alarm clock needed. Anything after 5AM and I'm thinking Oh crap, I overslept! I start most mornings with a trail walk and the first half-hour or so I need a flashlight to see where I'm going. Great to see the sunrise out in the woods!

special-K 12-01-2022 08:01 PM

I see what a lot of people here did today was wake up. Glad to hear it! :lol:

CG, I hope you enjoy working at Lowe's even more this time around. I hope you end up asking for more hours :cool:

I woke up, too. Then I went got started back on the summer kitchen tree fall repair. Started on the metal roof, pre-fab standing seam. I got the drip edge and barges (what I call them, installed on the gables. What I know as a barge is the edge piece on the gable. This manufacturer calls these prefab pieces slim line rake. Ready to start on the roof panels tomorrow

GOPAPA 12-01-2022 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9150411)
I see what a lot of people here did today was wake up. Glad to hear it! :lol:

CG, I hope you enjoy working at Lowe's even more this time around. I hope you end up asking for more hours :cool:

I woke up, too. Then I went got started back on the summer kitchen tree fall repair. Started on the metal roof, pre-fab standing seam. I got the drip edge and barges (what I call them, installed on the gables. What I know as a barge is the edge piece on the gable. This manufacturer calls these prefab pieces slim line rake. Ready to start on the roof panels tomorrow

Sounds like fun tim ,, I miss framing and building .. when I first started out in construction doing carpenter work .. I was put with a old guy (acually younger than I am right now ) and he called the end rafter out past the gable end of the house a Fly Rafter,, and I never heard them called that since ..

Steeveedee 12-01-2022 08:27 PM

Got most of the wiring run for my new table saw. Three trips to the hardware store! In the first batch, I thought I had 3/4" flex conduit. Get home, nope, it's 1/2"! Rookie mistake. I get those and some other stuff, go to the rental house and do some odds and ends. Closer to selling, yay! Had to get a sliding glass door latch, and one more connector for flex conduit to j-box, because there are 3 in a bag, not 4. :rolleyes: I was sure it was four; now I guess I either can't see or can't count. Just need to wire it to the supply. Good time to do it, since no power to the fridge in these temps won't cause any thawing issues. Power is only going to be off for half an hour, anyway.

Getter-Done 12-01-2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9150250)

Good thing I have the wood stove was 27 last night and it’s 31 right now . The house is 69 .

I look at the bright side of it though our power comes up one distribution line so I figure a tree came down . So I’ll hopefully get a load or two of future firewood . Unless it’s cottonwood or pine .

Hope you okay.:chevy::chevy:

Getter-Done 12-01-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9150247)

This sounds Great that they still need you and Think there is a Place for you. :metal::metal:

Steeveedee 12-01-2022 10:39 PM

^ Good workers seem to be getting harder to come by.

Getter-Done 12-01-2022 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9150449)
^ Good workers seem to be getting harder to come by.

Yes for Sure.;) :metal::metal:

special-K 12-02-2022 07:59 AM

Ah, they'll probably lay him off after Christmas. They just want to see more smocks on the floor during the madness :lol:

Rich84 12-02-2022 09:34 AM

Must be nice to go to work on your own terms..Good for you.
I hope I live to see that day.

72c20customcamper 12-02-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9150444)
Hope you okay.:chevy::chevy:

We were out till 6 pm last night . My generator ran from 8 to 6 it’s an Onan/Cummins 8k pretty much runs the whole house .

Pick121 12-02-2022 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Shoveling snow in my near future…Luckily it’s blue skies! The 2nd photo was yesterday, it dumped a foot and a half here in Tahoe City

Boog 12-02-2022 06:27 PM

I get all the enjoyment of snow I can stand just from other's pictures. ;)

best view 12-02-2022 07:42 PM

Be careful with that stuff Los Angeles is going to need that in the spring