The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

OrrieG 05-10-2014 02:56 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

looks relatively easy, 58-59 fenders have 5-6 more bolts on the inside to the grille.

Russell Ashley 05-10-2014 05:41 PM

It wasn't too bad, I just didn't want to do it, LOL. I was hoping to get the new suspension installed without having to, but now that it's off I will take care of a few things that I can get to easier.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ps35239310.jpg

Russell Ashley 05-10-2014 05:45 PM

Sorry, double post.

Rednek13x 05-10-2014 06:48 PM

worked on removing rivits to remove some cross members. going to need to track down a bigger air hammer!

lowdownstar 05-10-2014 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Working on door gaps, trying to make everything fit. Alot more work and i thought it was going to be lol

Ray

OrrieG 05-10-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6667790)
It wasn't too bad, I just didn't want to do it, LOL. I was hoping to get the new suspension installed without having to, but now that it's off I will take care of a few things that I can get to easier.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ps35239310.jpg

What AC system are you running (looks like VA)? Did you have to R&R the radiator X brace and use shims to stand it off of the support when you reinstalled?

OrrieG 05-10-2014 08:49 PM

What I learned today, maybe will help someone else.
1. TH350 cooler pump does NOT have enough back pressure to fill a temp gauge fitting tilted above horizontal. Pulled the temp bulb and it was dry, strong armed the fitting below vertical and it started leaking, so hopefully that will solve the no worky problem. Did test the gauge when I had the bulb out its fine.
2. A tach power wire needs to come from a switched circuit, if it is on a non-switched circuit it will drain you battery in about a week. Murphy's law dictated that the last fuse out of 21 I pulled was the problem one. Anyway, now no more power draw, tach manf offered no reason it pulls power when not running.

Russell Ashley 05-10-2014 09:13 PM

"What AC system are you running (looks like VA)? Did you have to R&R the radiator X brace and use shims to stand it off of the support when you reinstalled?"

Yes, it is a VA system. I moved the cross brace out one inch. I cut some one inch long pieces of one inch diameter round aluminum rod and chucked them in my lathe and drilled the hole through the center. You could just stack washers to get the length you need.

OrrieG 05-15-2014 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6668043)
"What AC system are you running (looks like VA)? Did you have to R&R the radiator X brace and use shims to stand it off of the support when you reinstalled?"

Yes, it is a VA system. I moved the cross brace out one inch. I cut some one inch long pieces of one inch diameter round aluminum rod and chucked them in my lathe and drilled the hole through the center. You could just stack washers to get the length you need.

Thanks, that is what it looked like. Opened my mail box today and all the hose fittings arrived. Was going to just order hoses from VA but when I measured would have had a bunch of extra length looping around the inside.

Russell Ashley 05-16-2014 08:19 AM

Orrie, I bought the VA hose kit and it didn't come with some of the ends on the hoses. You cut the hoses to fit your installation and marked the orientation that you wanted the ends to be and VA would compress the ends on for you. I am fortunate that I have a VA dealer near me and they did mine for me.

Russell Ashley 05-16-2014 08:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Removed my front suspension in preparation to installing my Scott's front end. I was working by myself so I had to take it apart in pieces that I could handle. Today I want to remove the spring and shock brackets from the frame.

OrrieG 05-16-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6675818)
Orrie, I bought the VA hose kit and it didn't come with some of the ends on the hoses. You cut the hoses to fit your installation and marked the orientation that you wanted the ends to be and VA would compress the ends on for you. I am fortunate that I have a VA dealer near me and they did mine for me.

I looked at that option, but the ends that came with it would not work. I will post photos of the hoses when I get them fabbed so you can see what I am doing. I have access to a crimper so doing three more connections is not a big deal. Our local VA dealer likes to bend folks over on shipping and handling fees and doing hoses. For what he wanted to crimp mine I could buy a good quality crimper.

Russell Ashley 05-16-2014 03:57 PM

Look at this link: You are probably aware of this but just in case.

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/900002.pdf

Make sure you have the right crimper for your fittings.

OrrieG 05-16-2014 04:01 PM

Good to know, thanks for watching out for me! The tools I am getting are an automotive ac set with the right dies, the person used them on his AC with success.

BADAZ chevy guy 05-16-2014 10:14 PM

New ball joint and windshield washers. Now she's ready for inspection, Monday!

SCHRUMGMC 05-16-2014 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought some more parts today
Making some progress on the '59
Costed me $82 sweet lord these parts are pricey

OrrieG 05-18-2014 01:27 PM

Got the AC compressor clutch and fast idle solenoid wiring sorted out. Running that "last wire" after everything else is done is a pain....

brikar 05-18-2014 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the spare tire carrier my son built me

dubie 05-18-2014 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i painted mine today

FarmerSid 05-18-2014 08:19 PM

Awesome brikar! Talented son.

FarmerSid 05-18-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 6676966)
Bought some more parts today
Making some progress on the '59
Costed me $82 sweet lord these parts are pricey

They are but try reproducing one. They know they have us by the short and curlies.

FarmerSid 05-18-2014 08:25 PM

So.............you painted on a dent dubie?

Nev68 05-19-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brikar (Post 6678564)
Installed the spare tire carrier my son built me

Nice work. :)

brikar 05-19-2014 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 6679027)
Awesome brikar! Talented son.

yes,I'm very proud of him,he's a B-pressure welder and he loves building and fabricating, here's his toy.

dubie 05-19-2014 10:46 AM

building a shop truck here Farmer Sid, it's all going to work into the final product.