The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

Capt280 07-22-2011 08:52 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

today is the first time the truck ran under its own power. Just to the end of the driveway and back in the garage before it started raining

66-PMD-GMC 07-22-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt280 (Post 4805393)
today is the first time the truck ran under its own power. Just to the end of the driveway and back in the garage before it started raining

I LOVE the knee knocker cabs!:metal:

tazattitude 07-23-2011 07:35 AM

Congrats...
Isn't that an exciting time, to know that you putting your truck together and now you can actually move it!
Wait until you have it all bolted together and you start driving it among all the traffic.
I did my first trial run about a month ago. I'm going to the shop to pick it up today and drive it home. FUN!
:metal:

jbgroby 07-23-2011 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
While it rained like all get out this morning, I was able to get the doors hung with teh help of my nephew who is visiting from Hot Springs. Starting to look like a real truck. Now that the doors are on, the colors look even better.

The colors are factory Olympic White and Canyon Blue. Of all the two tone colors for 1960 this seems to be the most rare, I wonder why?

awbrown 07-24-2011 08:19 AM

Actually it's not what I did to the truck , but what I was tinkering on to go into the truck .. Last winter a customer gave me a 350 chevy engine with all the accesories on the front.. He had no prior knowledge of the engine as to if it was any good ... So I pulled the pan and intake to check it out .. the intake was a TBI so I swapped it out for an old junk torker II that had the center holes cut through.. boy was it full of crud under the intake ... so I scaped and vacuumed that out ... noticed that the intake valves had build up on them so I chipped it off and vacuumed that out ..figured I would pull the oilpan off and check for loose rod bearings ,they all were tight .. so I buttoned it up and put a new filter on it and some used oil,an HEI and a 650 AFB and it fired right up ran smooth and no knocks .. so I am going to drop it in the 63 and see if I can get my AC to work ... This summer has been brutal as far as heat

kieth 07-24-2011 12:12 PM

Installed left side interior door panel, handles, armrest

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...270788_RRWkpdq

finished Bedwood, and fenders and lights:

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...273324_VFxsvXX

Next week front fenders, wiring, exhaust, then A/C , then front end alignment:

:gmc2:

Vernski 07-24-2011 01:17 PM

Hi Keith do you have a pic of your dash and instruments, can't see it very well from the side shot. Thanx ...Vernski:gmc2:

wutnxt 07-24-2011 02:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay this isn't actually today....but my long box finally found some paint...still have the outside of the cab to paint yet ...

markeb01 07-24-2011 05:29 PM

That looks fantastic!

Max1775 07-24-2011 06:58 PM

Tore apart the passenger side door and got the lock and door handles working right. Also got the window rolling up and down properly and lubricated the hell out of everything. I need to get some more interior door panel screws. It only had 4 left in it...
Posted via Mobile Device

kieth 07-25-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4807730)
Hi Keith do you have a pic of your dash and instruments, can't see it very well from the side shot. Thanx ...Vernski:gmc2:

Here you go:

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...258658_X8WmmMg

Vernski 07-26-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 4809177)

Thank you that looks very nice, did you have the plastic bezel re-chromed?...Vernski:c2:

kieth 07-26-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4810866)
Thank you that looks very nice, did you have the plastic bezel re-chromed?...Vernski:c2:

Yes I did, sent it to Vacuum Chrome Plating in Wisconson, cost about $120.00 then we painted the face crinkle black cause it was just too much chrome (yes it is possible) and the face had a few flaws in the plastic so the black was a easy way to build up the surface so the flaws do not show. Kieth:gmc2:

198plus 07-26-2011 10:27 AM

Must be a great feeling ;)

[quote=Capt280;4805393]today is the first time the truck ran under its own power. Just to the end of the driveway and back in the garage before it started raining

Looks great !!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 4806269)
While it rained like all get out this morning, I was able to get the doors hung with teh help of my nephew who is visiting from Hot Springs. Starting to look like a real truck. Now that the doors are on, the colors look even better.

The colors are factory Olympic White and Canyon Blue. Of all the two tone colors for 1960 this seems to be the most rare, I wonder why?

Looks Great !!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 4807834)
Okay this isn't actually today....but my long box finally found some paint...still have the outside of the cab to paint yet ...

Vernski 07-26-2011 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 4811065)
Yes I did, sent it to Vacuum Chrome Plating in Wisconson, cost about $120.00 then we painted the face crinkle black cause it was just too much chrome (yes it is possible) and the face had a few flaws in the plastic so the black was a easy way to build up the surface so the flaws do not show. Kieth:gmc2:

Here's what I did to mine painted the background satin black. Not perfect but ok for now, someday maybe re-plated when the money tree permits thanx...Vernski:lol:

66-PMD-GMC 07-26-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4811331)
Here's what I did to mine painted the background satin black. Not perfect but ok for now, someday maybe re-plated when the money tree permits thanx...Vernski:lol:

That gauge cluster is cool as Ice Cream. :metal:
I would buy it from you if it was for sale, that's how much I like it.
My GMC is a beater parts truck for now and like you, my money tree isn't producing any fruit. :waah:

kieth 07-26-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4811331)

Looks very nice, stole my idea for the black dash face didn't you ? Just kidding, I think every thing we are doing has been done before.....

Kieth :gmc2:

I got my fuel tank finalized today, moved the filler neck, brazed up the old filler neck, getting ready to paint it. will post pictures when finished...

painted the gmc grille, letters, secret color combo, worked on the fenders some more..................................busy busy.......:gmc2:

Macs66-C10 07-26-2011 11:19 PM

I bought new shocks, front and rear. Going to paint the frame before installing them though.

Oiled both window regulators. Both windows roll up with ease now.
Adjusted driver's door striker plate...much better now too.

Also, UPS delivered new wiring harnesses from these guys -

https://www.classicpartsusa.com

- Engine harness
- Parking light harness
- Firewall to back lights
- Tail light/backup light harness

They look fantastic...can't wait to install them.

Vernski 07-27-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 4811405)
That gauge cluster is cool as Ice Cream. :metal:
I would buy it from you if it was for sale, that's how much I like it.
My GMC is a beater parts truck for now and like you, my money tree isn't producing any fruit. :waah:

If your gauge cluster works ok just paint it up and put a clock, tach, or batt-o-meter in it. A few rolls of masking tape, sharp x-acto blade and some rattle cans of paint won't break the bank. The tach & clock you might try craigslist or ebay or maybe a swap meet. Hope your money tree improves along with mine. Thanks for the compliment 66-PMD-GMC....Vernski:gmc2:

66-PMD-GMC 07-27-2011 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4812880)
If your gauge cluster works ok just paint it up and put a clock, tach, or batt-o-meter in it. A few rolls of masking tape, sharp x-acto blade and some rattle cans of paint won't break the bank. The tach & clock you might try craigslist or ebay or maybe a swap meet. Hope your money tree improves along with mine. Thanks for the compliment 66-PMD-GMC....Vernski:gmc2:

The one and only gauge that works is the fuel gauge.
Not speedometer, not temp gauge not even the lights.
Haven't had a chance to dig into the causes at this point but I have been actively searching for gauges that will work both stock and aftermarket.
The dash is clean but I have concentrated on frame, suspension etc. first.
I will get there.. it all takes time and a good harvest from the $ tree. :lol:

Vernski 07-27-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 4813154)
The one and only gauge that works is the fuel gauge.
Not speedometer, not temp gauge not even the lights.
Haven't had a chance to dig into the causes at this point but I have been actively searching for gauges that will work both stock and aftermarket.
The dash is clean but I have concentrated on frame, suspension etc. first.
I will get there.. it all takes time and a good harvest from the $ tree. :lol:

I don't have a original pic of my dash, but It didn't have an ash tray and the hole for the radio was butchered plus holes for a CB mike and clipboard. So you have a good start there 66-PMD-GMC "Amen" on that money tree...Vernski:burnout:

66-PMD-GMC 07-27-2011 04:51 PM

I have a 63 Chevy short box that I was/may still convert to a GMC because the dash is butchered bad. :waah:
It will take me a week of patchwork to fix all of the little mods that the PO made all over this cab not to mention the dash. :ito:
I think the problem was that the PO may have suffered from cranial rectal inversion disease... not sure. ;)
Give a kid a sawzall and watch out I guess... :uhmk:

fryer1979 07-27-2011 06:55 PM

The guys in brown showed up with some packages for me today. Unfortunately it is a work day for me (grave shift with a 50 mile one way commute), so I won't be able to get a whole lot done. In the boxes are: lowered spindles, Energy Suspension a-arm bushing set, ball joints, and a set of Russel's steel braided brake lines. Now all I need is a junkyard run for a booster and master cylinder, and for my rotors to show up, and I'll be ready for my disc swap.
Posted via Mobile Device

kieth 07-28-2011 08:50 AM

Installed the rear bed fuel door, got the tank finished, adjusted the cab and bed lines and got them a lot closer than they were, finished tying down the brake lines and transmission cooler line, installed radiator, getting ready for the heater lines and the radiator hoses. Waiting on rear bumper brackets so we can final install the fuel tank at the rear of the truck. Oh did anyone tell you guys that it is hot outside :devil:

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...270029_44JXfxh

J.Cagle 07-28-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 4814990)
Oh did anyone tell you guys that it is hot outside :devil:

You arent kiddin. Im only about an hour or so north of you. This weather sucks. Havent been able to get the motivation to finish my engine repaint project in my 64. Maybe tonight.

The color of your truck is AWESOME by the way!!