The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Popeye" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383265)

67cheby 04-07-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Project "Popeye"

dang son..you live in BIG BUCKS NEIGHBORHOOD or WHAT ??

72BlckButy 04-07-2012 05:11 PM

Looks like the move to SW MO was worth it. :D

LEEVON 04-07-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5299212)
dang son..you live in BIG BUCKS NEIGHBORHOOD or WHAT ??

If you mean the kind of neighborhood where we can afford to rent but not buy then yes :lol:

67cheby 04-07-2012 09:32 PM

Lol......we know you the big cheese !!
Posted via Mobile Device

72BlckButy 04-07-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5299747)
If you mean the kind of neighborhood where we can afford to rent but not buy then yes :lol:

:lol:

LEEVON 04-08-2012 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Weld-on battery box:

LEEVON 04-09-2012 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear brake line tee and new lines. I used the "easy bend" line from O'Reilly's which is cheap and easy to use. I prefer the look of steel or stainless but I have to remember its just a rusty old truck. The braided cable bulkheads at c-notch frame plate, then 90's up to the front. I wish I could test my inverted double flares before the truck is all together.

Nothing special here, but we all like pics!

67cheby 04-09-2012 10:19 AM

looks good

52 Rat 04-09-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5302579)
Rear brake line tee and new lines. I used the "easy bend" line from O'Reilly's which is cheap and easy to use. I prefer the look of steel or stainless but I have to remember its just a rusty old truck. The braided cable bulkheads at c-notch frame plate, then 90's up to the front. I wish I could test my inverted double flares before the truck is all together.

Nothing special here, but we all like pics!

Nothing wrong with the line form O'Reilly's. That is what I used and will continue to use; good tubing. Pics. look good!

50-MO 04-20-2012 10:58 PM

Looks like your getting settled in! I move from Nixa and then you move there, what a bummer. I am pretty sure that I know where you live after the last comment you made and If I am correct I work with the lady in which you may be referring to. Actually, I oversee the collector car claims process over half of the US! Pretty small world.... You will have to come out to the NSRA kick off party we are having at our office in Springfield, there will be some real nice rides out there.

av8tr33337 04-20-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50-MO (Post 5326835)
Looks like your getting settled in! I move from Nixa and then you move there, what a bummer. I am pretty sure that I know where you live after the last comment you made and If I am correct I work with the lady in which you may be referring to. Actually, I oversee the collector car claims process over half of the US! Pretty small world.... You will have to come out to the NSRA kick off party we are having at our office in Springfield, there will be some real nice rides out there.

Hey I have relatives that have a dairy farm near conway. My Cousin has restored one of these Ad Trucks. I need to get over there and check it out in person someday.

LEEVON 04-20-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50-MO (Post 5326835)

Ahhh, yes I know of whom you speak! I just met Rex last week, but not Mrs. Clark yet...and if you happen to be Craig I am long time friends with your nephew Justin!!!

LEEVON 04-20-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by av8tr33337 (Post 5326904)
Hey I have relatives that have a dairy farm near conway. My Cousin has restored one of these Ad Trucks. I need to get over there and check it out in person someday.

Come on down!

50-MO 04-20-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5326917)
Ahhh, yes I know of whom you speak! I just met Rex last week, but not Mrs. Clark yet...and if you happen to be Craig I am long time friends with your nephew Justin!!!

OK we are talking bout the same person. I am not Craig, my name is James Giles and Craig and I do a lot of work together, actually his other nephew Josh used to work for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

LEEVON 04-21-2012 12:13 AM

Small world! Nice start on your project too.

the1ted 06-17-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks for the connection. I look forward to meeting face to face soon since we are so close! (417 838 5937)

jmsaunders 07-29-2012 09:55 AM

I like what you're doing with this truck. May have to ummm 'borrow' some of your ideas

MaydayNeal 08-26-2012 11:12 PM

Hey Leevon...

The tire/wheel combo rocks dude!! Cant wait to see the final result. A very interesting trans you are using....seems like a great 4 speed alternative...basically a 3sp with OD....what a great option for these AD trucks. I've been searching the web and found lots of info about them....but they seem to be tuff to find. Did you find a online source or did you just find at you local bone yard??

Thanks!!
Neal

LEEVON 08-27-2012 10:14 AM

Thanks guys!

MaydayNeal, I'm kind of an opportunist with parts so I didn't set out to use the NP833 but one popped up on Craigslist so I grabbed it and went from there. I've seen a couple for sale since, one was on the HAMB and another one here but if you have a good junkyard they might keep an eye out. I think I posted the name of the place where I got the bellhousing, that dude was great to deal with. Even though he's out of state he might be a good resource. I also have a business card to a guy in texas who rebuilds manual transmissions and was at the Wichita swap meet this year. He had one with him...I might be able to find the card but no guarantees. I also told him what my plans for the trans are and he seemed to think it would take some abuse and if not, he could do some tricks to it.

LEEVON 08-27-2012 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Popeye has been waiting patiently in the corner...he's about to get some attention once again. I took this pic of him yesterday.

bjcaldwe 08-27-2012 11:45 AM

Glade to see you getting back at it.

LEEVON 09-06-2012 03:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally got organized and clean again after the 3 month detour getting my '71 back up to cruising duty standards. I need to tackle the cab rust on Popeye, it is a little overwhelming, but I bet a good long weekend would get it whooped. Any tips or experience to share with replacing the kick panels and toe boards?

PurdueSD 09-06-2012 04:04 PM

Just dig in! I sat and looked a my truck for over a year cause when you start thinking about doing this and that and the other it gets freaking overwhelming. Your cab looks pretty good other than the toe board corners.
Posted via Mobile Device

OrrieG 09-06-2012 07:14 PM

Make sure your brace the rest of the cab to keep it square while removing those critical corner pieces. Check your door fit as you go. Its a pain but much better than getting done and having to do it over or spend a lot of time modifying the doors.

big_b 09-06-2012 08:43 PM

your build is very inspirational! ive read good things about the New Process 3 speed /overdrive trans. I was going to buy one for my truck but wasnt ready for it when the guy decided to sell. i now have a muncie that i plan on installing in the next week or so. im disapointed to read that the under floor brake pedal hits the clutch arm. i dont want to relocate my master and quite like it under the floor, but i also really want a four speed!!!