The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Elwood" the 77_remix (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738570)

67cheby 01-09-2018 01:58 PM

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

so are we getting close to the "good stuff"......just sayin! LOL

N2TRUX 01-10-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 8156219)
so are we getting close to the "good stuff"......just sayin! LOL

Be patient, you got the sneak peek last night.

N2TRUX 01-10-2018 11:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
With the HQ shocks in place I could hoist the brake assembly on to the bottom ball joint. The Wilwood calipers and rotors are lighter than stock, but that modular spindle is a solid piece. With the bottom bolt secured, I tilted the assembly in place and pulled the upper Strong Arm down to meet.

N2TRUX 01-10-2018 11:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Now that the brake assembly was secured, I determined what fittings were needed to go from the 6 piston caliper to the braided stainless line. a quick trip to www.summitracing.com and my parts are on the way.

Until they arrive, I will continue to press forward. I removed the drag link assembly to prep and paint. While it was drying I started hanging the RideTech Muscle Bar. This new version is larger yet lighter due to tubing being used rather than bar stock. It came with bushing stand to improve end link angle as well.

N2TRUX 01-10-2018 11:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The bushing stands use existing holes on the frame. Be sure to note the orientation of the bracket. It is possible to mount them backwards and not know it till the entire job is done. (So I'm told ;) ) I find it easiest to hang everything and get the nuts slightly started before tightening anything down.

N2TRUX 01-10-2018 12:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Once the end links are attached to the Muscle Bar they can be connected to the Strong Arms. I found it easier to tighten them first as the nut on the inside is hard to access if the angle is to extreme. With the end links tight, I moved on to the bushing bolts, and bushing stands. I ensure the the alignment was correct and tightened to specs.

aggie91 01-10-2018 03:22 PM

You make this look easy...

lolife99 01-10-2018 04:25 PM

Ken,... do you see any advantage of the new MuscleBar design vs the old MuscleBar design?
Any insight from Ridetech?

67cheby 01-10-2018 07:18 PM

Looking great!

N2TRUX 01-11-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8157172)
You make this look easy...

It cant be too hard if I'm making it look easy ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 8157358)
Looking great!

Thanks Mike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8157215)
Ken,... do you see any advantage of the new MuscleBar design vs the old MuscleBar design?

Keith I have been told that

JohnJ@RideTech 01-11-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8157215)

Glad you asked, we actually get this question pretty often.

The new bars are 1.25" in diameter and constructed out of .188" wall DOM tubing. These are slightly more rigid than the solid design and show significant weight savings over the older bar.
"Hollow" bars and their related components are now standard equipment in both C10 coilover and air suspension kits.

lolife99 01-11-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech (Post 8157854)
Glad you asked, we actually get this question pretty often.

The new bars are 1.25" in diameter and constructed out of .188" wall DOM tubing. These are slightly more rigid than the solid design and show significant weight savings over the older bar.
"Hollow" bars and their related components are now standard equipment in both C10 coilover and air suspension kits.

Thanks for the answer.
I knew it had to be more than the shape of the end of the bar.
I also wondered if the frame bushings need to be mounted to the "stands" you provide,... or if they can be bolted directly to the frame like you had them?

N2TRUX 01-12-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8157880)
......I also wondered if the frame bushings need to be mounted to the "stands" you provide,... or if they can be bolted directly to the frame like you had them?

Keith thats the way I had the previous Muscle Bar mounted. I know this is a common method for mounting stock GM bars. Unfortunately it doesnt work as well on the RideTech Muscle bar. I had issues with excessive fatigue and failure on the end links with the bar mounted directly to the frame. The clamps stands were designed to resolve that issue.

N2TRUX 01-12-2018 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the last pair of fittings needed to finish the Wilwood install yesterday. I put those on and adjusted the strain reliefs holding the stainless lines in place. This weekend I will install the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and the braking system should be complete.

aboesec10 01-13-2018 10:31 AM

Love how detailed your threads are, I get out in the garage and start thrashing and then remember that i didn't take any pics....... My threads are start......done! lol

N2TRUX 01-13-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboesec10 (Post 8159469)
Love how detailed your threads are, I get out in the garage and start thrashing and then remember that I didn't take any pics....... My threads are start......done! lol

I'm really anal about working in clutter. I usually take pics as I put up tools between rounds. Its just something you get used to.

N2TRUX 01-14-2018 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Friday night I worked on my exhaust system again. I realized that I was not going to have time to take it to New Star and have it ran the way I did on Scarlett so I opted for plan "B".

The V bands that Kevin from Deeds Engineering sent would have to wait. Till then, I used parts off the previous system and added the new components. It's not what I wanted, but it gets the job done for now. I will add Deeds billet hangers to hold it in place.

gringoloco 01-14-2018 11:00 PM

Looks pretty good to me!

N2TRUX 01-15-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8160993)
Looks pretty good to me!

Thanks. I had hoped to run it out the back like I did on Scarlett. Unfortunately there's just not enough room. Eventually I will route it out the wheel well opening. For now, this will do.

blazer2007 01-15-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8156136)
With the paint cured, I bolted the new upper shock mounts in place. If your not running these mounts on your lowered or bagged truck, you should be. There is no way a shorter shock has the same damping ability as a longer shock. By adding additional length you gain fluid capacity and travel.

The RideTech HQ shocks are adjustable so you can dial in your rebound and firmness preference. They have 24 positions to choose from. RideTech suggests starting in the middle and tune to your driving style.

I can,t find the upper shock mounts on the ridetech web page, all that comes up is a 3 sided box type

N2TRUX 01-15-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8161333)
I can,t find the upper shock mounts on the ridetech web page, all that comes up is a 3 sided box type

I looked and couldn't locate them either. I sent a text to John so we should have an answer soon.

N2TRUX 01-15-2018 12:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This weekend I focused on getting the wiring corrected on the RideTech system. I have an older version of the Big Red valves (ARV 7000) that was connected to a Ride Pro E3 management system. The Big Red valves have had some updates including changing from 4 two pin connectors to 2 four pin connectors.

I was able to get the system running using an adapter harness that was on my Ride Pro E3. Unfortunately it was too short to route inside so it had to be under the cab. I decided to clean things up and convert the valve harness to 4 pin connectors. I had the pin extractor tool and 4 pin connectors, but had to chase down new pins locally. Just so you know, Oriellys Auto Parts does carry them.

N2TRUX 01-15-2018 12:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I was forced to tape rather than use loom, but they look so much better now. Everything is working correctly and I eliminated the jumper harness. Time to move on to the next item on the list.

JohnJ@RideTech 01-15-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8161333)

We sell the brackets with our shock relocation kit for CoolRide setups. Sorry for the confusion on the website. They are a component that is included in the kit listed below. They do not appear in the stock photo. Check out the link and let me know what you think.

http://www.ridetech.com/products/coo...th-stock-arms/

N2TRUX 01-15-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech (Post 8161444)
We sell the brackets with our shock relocation kit for CoolRide setups. Sorry for the confusion on the website. They are a component that is included in the kit listed below. They do not appear in the stock photo. Check out the link and let me know what you think.

http://www.ridetech.com/products/coo...th-stock-arms/

Thanks for sharing JohnJ.