The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1964 Suburban Pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=272654)

C@rnut001 01-17-2012 01:20 AM

Re: 1964 Suburban Pics

Great progress and it is all looking good...seems we all know about those heavy pieces from Bondo... a lot of people adhere to the "fill it and mold it with Bondo" dent fixing idea.

protrash64 02-05-2012 09:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, I dont watch sports so I went out and made some noise today. I have been sanding and sanding and have the roof of the 'burb good now. I am getting all the pieces ready so I can shoot primer on this and the '64 shorty. I jump back and forth and I'm really sore and tired.
Anyway, I patched my front fender. Patched the brace first as it was somewhat damaged. Didnt want to buy a new one so I went for it. Thin metal was a challenge but I got the brace stiffened up and painted the inside of the fender; then trimmed and welded my patch in place. Takes quite awhile of jumping around with the welder to fil it all in.......then sanded down the whole thing just to see what Im getting into for the bodywork. Put on a first coat of fiberglass and hung it in place while I cleaned up. Hope to have a bunch of progress next weekend.

Cool to see all the new 'burbs here on the site!!!:metal:

allaboutchevelles 02-05-2012 09:55 PM

Nice patch work. Looking very good. keep up the good work.

Alan's Classic 02-05-2012 10:03 PM

Looks like some nice progress!! Your on a roll, don't stop.
Posted via Mobile Device

protrash64 02-05-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5169004)
Nice patch work. Looking very good. keep up the good work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5169019)
Looks like some nice progress!! Your on a roll, don't stop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanx guys......I was just reading 'allaboutchevelles' thread and saw the 180g for body work. I've been using 150 and then went and got 120 as I just wasnt making progress fast enough; meaning that I couldnt get done sanding fast enough!!:lol:

The fender has had some work done to it previously but it is not in bad shape overall. I was scuffing it up to see what it was going to require on my next round. Im fired up over this and trying to take advantage of the nice weather.

allaboutchevelles 02-05-2012 10:47 PM

I know what you mean. When sanding the body filler its so much work but you have to control yourself and not get in a hurry or you will have to put more filler on and start all over again. I really respect the guys that do this stuff for a living everyday. I hate having to wear those dust masks and dust all over the shop everywhere.

protrash64 02-05-2012 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5169116)
I know what you mean. When sanding the body filler its so much work but you have to control yourself and not get in a hurry or you will have to put more filler on and start all over again. I really respect the guys that do this stuff for a living everyday. I hate having to wear those dust masks and dust all over the shop everywhere.

My problem is that I do not put enough material on to start with. On the roof of the 'burb I found some problem areas. Prepped and filled and then sanded and realized the area was larger than I thought. I have now gone around it at least 6 times. I spent about two days over the back hatch area; finally have it nice. It's going to dictate the whole color depending on how straight I get the roof.

I met this guy once in Phoenix and saw a pic of his 'burb so I saved it. I thought it was cool and had never seen a gold paint job that was fresh; looked awesome. This may be how I paint mine....dont know right now.

protrash64 02-19-2012 01:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Going a little slower than I thought but I'm still getting there....:confused:; wherever that may be.:lol: Here are some pics. I'm working at getting a bunch of parts prepped to prime all at once. I also know from past experience that the more work you put in the better the parts turn out.

After reading the thread about all the new parts that dont fit, I guess its six to one half dozen. It still takes a ton of work to patch stuff up, too. Heres the grill support as I am still working it over and then my drivers fender after its done and waiting for the primer. Trial fit my repop and it fit well. Pulled the inner brackets off my old fenders and drilled my new re-pop for the '64 emblem. Im going to pull the grill and headlites so I can get my old stuff out of the way and then begin to assemble the 'new' front clip.

Ok, pics...........

hemifalcon 02-19-2012 10:16 AM

..looking good..
How come you are using the re-pop front fenders rather than your patched originals? Looked like your originals patched up pretty nice...

protrash64 02-19-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemifalcon (Post 5197961)
..looking good..
How come you are using the re-pop front fenders rather than your patched originals? Looked like your originals patched up pretty nice...

I patched the drivers side and opted for the re-pop on the passenger side. Both pass side fenders were in bad shape; the one I pulled off the truck had at least a 1/2'' of bondo on some parts!!:lol: Also considering the amount of work it's going to take to do the whole truck, I need to pick my battles.

chad64chevy 02-19-2012 12:20 PM

looking good, man!! love the burban, maybe one day i'll have one or atleast i have to wait til my trucks done, before starting on another!!

protrash64 02-19-2012 08:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5198175)
looking good, man!! love the burban, maybe one day i'll have one or atleast i have to wait til my trucks done, before starting on another!!

Thanks Chad.....'burbs are a lot of work I'm learning!!

Been pluggin' along today and cleaned up the inner fender brackets and shot them with some rust inhibitor. Tore off my grill support and found some things I hadn't noticed before. Dont know if they are 'burb only or if this was a 3/4 ton??

The grill support has brackets with rubber bumpers that sit on the bumper supports; hmmm? I mentioned it before, but the whole front clip and underhood has zinc chromate under the paint. Everywhere! It's peaking out to the far left in the pic with the extra bracket. Also found the core supports are rubber mounted, unlike my pickups that have the brackets riveted to the frame.

Also a shot of the 1/8'' of bondo over some dents on the core support. I could have fixed this one as it's in great shape with the exception of this poor body work. I'm probably going to just use the one I have already done and keep this one.

protrash64 02-19-2012 09:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hung the front pieces on just to get an idea of my next set of headaches. Nothings tight, 6 bolts total holding it on......

chevy_mike 02-19-2012 10:03 PM

I think those rubber bumpers are on Suburban and Panel as I found them on my '65 Panel. Thought it was weird but thinking more, it might to help minimize body flex due to the body being mounted the full length of the frame, unlike a truck cab. These might hit the bumper brackets to help prevent some flexing.

At least that's my theory. :)

protrash64 02-20-2012 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_mike (Post 5199322)
I think those rubber bumpers are on Suburban and Panel as I found them on my '65 Panel. Thought it was weird but thinking more, it might to help minimize body flex due to the body being mounted the full length of the frame, unlike a truck cab. These might hit the bumper brackets to help prevent some flexing.

Good as any, Mike; I have no clue!!:lol:

Finished up the night with a little rattle can resto. Sprayed the crap outta the core support so its presentable. I'll get it more when I have more light.

Captainfab 02-20-2012 01:52 AM

I agree

All Burbs and Panels that I have seen have radiator support mounts that are bonded rubber in the middle like the C20 and up rear cab mounts.

Quote:

The front clip is looking good :thumbs:

mosesburb 02-20-2012 02:45 AM

I don't know about you, but I would rather fab just about anything than do paint and body work. I admire your progress. Nice work!!

RockTonka 02-20-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 5199987)
I don't know about you, but I would rather fab just about anything than do paint and body work. I admire your progress. Nice work!!

Man, I am so with you on that! I'm envious of the guys that just jump into it like it's nothing. I know it just takes time, patience, and practice...just one of those things I've never practiced and don't have the time or patience to start now!! :lol:

Really looking good Pro...wanna come work on mine??

protrash64 02-20-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5199930)
I agree

All Burbs and Panels that I have seen have radiator support mounts that are bonded rubber in the middle like the C20 and up rear cab mounts.

The front clip is looking good :thumbs:

Well, there it is!!:sumo:................:lol: Thanx Cap'n

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 5199987)

Thanx Nick. I have to push myself to go do it sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5200033)
Man, I am so with you on that! I'm envious of the guys that just jump into it like it's nothing. I know it just takes time, patience, and practice...just one of those things I've never practiced and don't have the time or patience to start now!! :lol:

Really looking good Pro...wanna come work on mine??

UUuuuhhh, no.:lol: Well, I'm no expert on body stuff but I am getting better and it takes me a long time to get stuff nice. As far as jumping in, it takes a bunch of supplies and cash to get started. I'm finally to the point that I feel I have the right equipment.

I havent updated my other thread, but I'm actually blocking out my '64 S/B at the same time, so I'm already working on two trucks right now.

protrash64 02-20-2012 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what showed up today.......roof panel. Now I have to decide if I'm going to cut it or install it completely. I wanted to leave in my windsheild until I was done with everything else and then pull it. It's cracked anyway.

protrash64 02-20-2012 10:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Went out and painted all the little parts previously posted with some gloss black. Pulled out my splash shield rubber and pop riveted it on. Being that this is a 100 point resto except for everything that isnt(;)), I cant believe I'm doing it!!:lol:

I saved all the clips to hold the pieces on, but I'm wondering if there is a different way of attaching the entire assembly. Chime in if you know; I'd appreciate it.

While waiting for the paint to dry I decided to have some fun with the '66. Printed out some flames and made templates. Proceeded to use a bunch of rattle cans (white,primer red, engine orange, clear) and did some 'art' on the hood. It was fun for an afternoon.

hemifalcon 02-20-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Anyone know if there are re-popped versions of those rubber mounts?
Posted via Mobile Device

protrash64 02-24-2012 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, after staring at the eyebrow above the windshield, I decided to yank the glass and install the patch panel. I'm going to go backwards a bit but in the end it will be less work having a complete piece in there. The worst part is the sealer!! Looks like this thing has had 20 windshields installed:lol:. Will post more pics as I go...

hemifalcon 02-24-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 5210188)
Well, after staring at the eyebrow above the windshield, I decided to yank the glass and install the patch panel. I'm going to go backwards a bit but in the end it will be less work having a complete piece in there. The worst part is the sealer!! Looks like this thing has had 20 windshields installed:lol:. Will post more pics as I go...

I'm guessing you already cleaned out the sealer.. Cuz otherwise, I've had at least 21 windshields in mine judging by all the gunk and sealer that was piled up along the windshield seal lip!

protrash64 02-25-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemifalcon (Post 5210590)
I'm guessing you already cleaned out the sealer.. Cuz otherwise, I've had at least 21 windshields in mine judging by all the gunk and sealer that was piled up along the windshield seal lip!

:lol: Exactly!! Like a combination of silicon and bacon grease!! Also, you have to really want that piece outta there; there are a crap load of welds!! I started on it, but I'm debating on just cutting the ends out and replacing them.