The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Greg65 build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336653)

greg65 12-26-2012 12:50 PM

Re: Greg65 build thread

1 Attachment(s)
A few Christmas goodies for the truck from the wife and kids. My tri plus fenders also arrived today also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 12-26-2012 01:21 PM

:thumbs:
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 12-26-2012 02:08 PM

greg, i was going back thru your build and remembered that you did braided hoses for your power steering and the info. will help me when i get ready to do mine, i'm doing a hydro boost brake system and i have the kit for it but not the compression fitting for the return!! just wanted to say thanks for that, and your truck is in got hands and will look awesome when alans done! if i lived closer i would have done the samething!! keep us posted on what was done to line the doors up! let us know how the tri plus fenders fit and where you got them, thanks again

greg65 12-26-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5778542)
greg, i was going back thru your build and remembered that you did braided hoses for your power steering and the info. will help me when i get ready to do mine, i'm doing a hydro boost brake system and i have the kit for it but not the compression fitting for the return!! just wanted to say thanks for that, and your truck is in got hands and will look awesome when alans done! if i lived closer i would have done the samething!! keep us posted on what was done to line the doors up! let us know how the tri plus fenders fit and where you got them, thanks again

I will try to keep the posts coming. Although I think Alan is doing a better job posting right now. lol. The fenders were ordered CPI truck parts in Roanoke Al. but were shipped from Key Parts in Va. No problem on the fitting. Shannon helped me out on finding the number and the actual part. Hard to beat good friends. Hope everything works out on your hydro boost install.

Alan's Classic 12-26-2012 11:36 PM

With the holidays almost behind us it's time to kick things into gear. I'll be back on it soon. Trying to put out a few fires (figuratively) on the mustang.

Alan's Classic 12-30-2012 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Greg brought the new fenders over today. We got to discuss a few things in person and I have a better game plan now. The repop fenders have a few issues to deal with. No lower hole for the headlight mount panel on either fender, the gap was inconsistant along the front edge of the fender along with not being flush at the edge at the top, and the top flange is bent up at the back edge and is welded that way.

I started doing some carving on the cab today.

Greg, I can't remember the name on these fenders. Were they Key parts or Triplus?

greg65 12-30-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5786106)
Greg brought the new fenders over today. We got to discuss a few things in person and I have a better game plan now. The repop fenders have a few issues to deal with. No lower hole for the headlight mount panel on either fender, the gap was inconsistant along the front edge of the fender along with not being flush at the edge at the top, and the top flange is bent up at the back edge and is welded that way.

I started doing some carving on the cab today.

Greg, I can't remember the name on these fenders. Were they Key parts or Triplus?

The fenders came in tri plus boxes and also have tri plus stickers on the inside of the fenders. Really enjoyed talking to you today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 12-31-2012 02:43 AM

That is typical of the one Tri Plus fender that I have, and all the others I have seen. You would think the guys in China would figure out that it isn't right and do something about it. But I guess they figure as long as everyone keeps buying them, why change.

As far as I know KeyParts and Tri Plus are basically the same company. Member Tim Christian here on the forum is involved in those companies.

Alan's Classic 01-01-2013 12:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5786135)
The fenders came in tri plus boxes and also have tri plus stickers on the inside of the fenders. Really enjoyed talking to you today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Greg!!, sorry I had to cut the visit short. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5786863)
That is typical of the one Tri Plus fender that I have, and all the others I have seen. You would think the guys in China would figure out that it isn't right and do something about it. But I guess they figure as long as everyone keeps buying them, why change.

As far as I know KeyParts and Tri Plus are basically the same company. Member Tim Christian here on the forum is involved in those companies.

Yeah, you'd think they would fix the problems. Thanks for the input.

Started welding up the holes in the firewall. This my process of making filler panels. I use the stud to hold on to it. A magnet will work, but if the magnet is strong and close to the weld puddle, it will draw the puddle to the magnet. that has been my experience. So that's why I opted for the stud.

Alan's Classic 01-01-2013 12:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Not done yet, just some progress pics.

shortbed70 01-01-2013 03:19 AM

Man I wish there was a truck guy close to me that wanted help so I could work on another truck... Nice work guys..
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 01-01-2013 06:15 PM

greg who did you order the fenders from? and Alan what are you going to do to fix them? im wondering cause im thinking of buying a set of repop fenders or finding a really good 'rust free' orginal pair, when income tax time comes! i plan on filling in the seam anyways so that gap i'm not to worried about! how do the fit at the bottom with the rocker?? sorry for so many question, but just wondering

Alan's Classic 01-01-2013 07:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5788624)
Man I wish there was a truck guy close to me that wanted help so I could work on another truck... Nice work guys..
Posted via Mobile Device

They will come. The board has been good to me, and I also meet people thru craigslist when I sell parts. I meet Ronnie that way and a few others. People buying parts usually need help with the body side of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5789586)
greg who did you order the fenders from? and Alan what are you going to do to fix them? im wondering cause im thinking of buying a set of repop fenders or finding a really good 'rust free' orginal pair, when income tax time comes! i plan on filling in the seam anyways so that gap i'm not to worried about! how do the fit at the bottom with the rocker?? sorry for so many question, but just wondering

Not sure what I will do until I get to the point of bolting them up. We will both learn when I get there. ;) They dont' fit well at the rocker either. The problem is the rocker is installed too high. Don't worry about the questions, that's why were here. ;)

I believe I have the holes welded up on the firewall, except for the holes I cut in it today.

Since this is my 3rd cab I've worked on. I have a new plan from here on. Before blasting the cab I will cut out all the rust holes back to good metal. Label the pieces identifying where they came from and save for patterns. Then have the cab blasted. Remember to brace the cab prior to removing the structural pieces.

Alan's Classic 01-01-2013 07:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I welded up all the unneeded holes on the outside of the passenger door.

Welded up the holes below the right side of the windshield. The metal was thin from rust. I kept blowing a hole until I reached solid metal.

Also welded the edge of the door where I ground thru getting the gap.

greg65 01-01-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5789586)

Chad the fenders were purchased from CPI Truck Parts in Roanoke Al. but we're shipped from Key Parts in Va. I think Alan handled the other area better than I could have. If you have any other questions I will try to help all I can.
Posted via Mobile Device

flips72 01-02-2013 06:51 PM

comin right along, i will bet your allready getting excited wont be long and you will be headed down the road wiyh the tunes on and the wind blowing through your hair feeling like a teenager:metal:

greg65 01-03-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5791747)
comin right along, i will bet your allready getting excited wont be long and you will be headed down the road wiyh the tunes on and the wind blowing through your hair feeling like a teenager:metal:

Yeah I we be real excited after the first coat of paint is sprayed. I know it is a ways off but Alan is doing an amazing job. After hearing the door close sure brought back some memories of driving the truck as a teenager. Remembering driving on Alabama country roads with my wife. Good times. Give me a heads up the next time you go to the Calhoun track. I would love to meet you and see your truck going down the track.

Alan's Classic 01-03-2013 02:51 PM

X2 on the Calhoun track.
Posted via Mobile Device

greg65 01-03-2013 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It would be cool if Flip and Paul both showed up with their trucks.

Alan's Classic 01-03-2013 08:26 PM

That would be awesome!!

flips72 01-03-2013 08:33 PM

sign me up:lol: that would be alot of fun especially if we had all our trucks there, race a little and go somewhere and eat...heck yeah i cant wait, i will bring my brother and his 67, he is going to the tuner tommorrow, 6.0 hummer motor with a 76mm turbo hoping for 500 to 550hp at the wheels.

greg65 01-03-2013 09:08 PM

Nice. You guys don't play around.
Posted via Mobile Device

allaboutchevelles 01-05-2013 12:41 AM

Nice job on the cab repairs. I got to do that little trick with the welded nut on the inside of a peice of sheet metal also. Keep up the nice work!

Red65C10 01-05-2013 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Coming along nicely ! Still going with the gold color ? not sure what the actual name of the color is. Ive seen this one on one of the 60-66 FB pages.
I like it a lot.

Attachment 1036009

chad64chevy 01-06-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5794081)
sign me up:lol: that would be alot of fun especially if we had all our trucks there, race a little and go somewhere and eat...heck yeah i cant wait, i will bring my brother and his 67, he is going to the tuner tommorrow, 6.0 hummer motor with a 76mm turbo hoping for 500 to 550hp at the wheels.

flips you got any pics of your brothers truck? that would be awesome, and a video of you two going down the track, now that would be sweet!!