The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

jae 11-16-2015 03:30 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

I've enjoyed catching up on your build so far. I did something very similar for my '71 C10, in stealing the drive train out of my '98 T/A. Had enough $ sunk in between having the LS1 built to a fully balanced forged 383 and the 4L60 built to support it that I knew I'd never get it back if I sold the car as it sat, so I cannibalized the car to support the truck build and sold off the scraps. Will we kick ourselves in 20 years for doing this to otherwise decent f-bodies? Who knows, I kind of kick myself every time I see a red 4th gen bird roll by with the t-tops off already, but at least there are still clean ones out there to be had cheap.

Keep up the good work.

Advanced Design 11-16-2015 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7377680)
Tis the season huh? I took my time and with it just being me I wanted to make sure everything was safely supported. As for the bolt, I have a good inch or so sticking out so I should be able to get ahold of it.

Marc

Hat's off to you Marc! We took the easy way out...lift and 4 guys. OK, three of us bench raced while one did most of the work.

youngrodder 11-16-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7378348)
Hat's off to you Marc! We took the easy way out...lift and 4 guys. OK, three of us bench raced while one did most of the work.

Thanks, yes after doing 1 by myself I could cut my time in 1/2 with a hoist and a couple of extra hands. I'm not bitter about your hoist...well a little. ha ha

Marc

youngrodder 11-16-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jae (Post 7378277)
I've enjoyed catching up on your build so far. I did something very similar for my '71 C10, in stealing the drive train out of my '98 T/A. Had enough $ sunk in between having the LS1 built to a fully balanced forged 383 and the 4L60 built to support it that I knew I'd never get it back if I sold the car as it sat, so I cannibalized the car to support the truck build and sold off the scraps. Will we kick ourselves in 20 years for doing this to otherwise decent f-bodies? Who knows, I kind of kick myself every time I see a red 4th gen bird roll by with the t-tops off already, but at least there are still clean ones out there to be had cheap.

Keep up the good work.

I know what you mean. I went the sec of state today to get the title transferred to my name so I can get to selling the Camaro. The Suburban funds are a little low at the moment.

Thanks for following along.

Marc

youngrodder 11-16-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7377881)
Good job!! It's always nice when things come apart easy. I like your jack stand blocks.

thanks there are actually wheel stands so that you can work on a car while at ride height. In this case they came in handy when trying to safely support the weight of the car with the extended jackstand

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CST-V (Post 7378030)
Nice job...

Thanks man

Marc

youngrodder 11-18-2015 11:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I spent more money today...Does that count for progress because if it does I have been busy as of late. I got a smokin deal on an Accuair set up. It is new and still factory sealed and has never been installed. I have always planned to run Accuair for air management but I didn't plan to buy it for a while. This is the most current kit with the newer ride height sensors.

Local score so no shipping costs either......

Marc

99 to Life 11-18-2015 11:26 PM

nice score, you get a manifold?

Advanced Design 11-18-2015 11:28 PM

Very nice! You must be a Craigs list Ninja....

youngrodder 11-18-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7381148)
nice score, you get a manifold?

No I will need to pick one up. This was too good of a deal to pass up on. I will pick one up later a long with 2 compressors and a tank or two. This works ok because I can spread out the cost this way.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7381151)
Very nice! You must be a Craigs list Ninja....

It was a tip from a friend.

Marc

oldman3 11-19-2015 12:15 AM

Nice looking kit...Jim

lower50's 11-19-2015 08:36 AM

Nice score!! It's on my list of upgrades.

Iceburgh 11-24-2015 09:39 AM

Marc will that unit work on any airbag system? I am using the one that came with my ride-tech system.
It works and does what it is intended to do but I would like to use something else. The system I have does not self level and I know very little about what is on the market.

youngrodder 11-25-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburgh (Post 7387095)
Marc will that unit work on any airbag system? I am using the one that came with my ride-tech system.
It works and does what it is intended to do but I would like to use something else. The system I have does not self level and I know very little about what is on the market.

Yes, originally I was going to upgrade my 48 to this exact kit and use my AirRide valves. In the end I decided not to rip into my 48. There is jumper wire of a schematic to follow to wire the Accuair brains to a different brand of valves.

I have my garage back from the Camaro and the frame staged. I'm looking forward to cutting into the old frame for the PB goodies. More progress pics soon...I promis.

Marc

youngrodder 11-27-2015 05:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I started my Porterbuilt install yesterday. I talked with Nate at PB to plan the install. He would like my feed back on this install and I committed to him to document it with a lot of pictures. I measured a bunch before making the first cut. I also tooled up with a new 1/2" drill. I'm pretty happy with the progress that I made.

I overlaid the frame rail to mark the locator holes. the front does not align with any factory holes. Scary at first but once Nate explained how to positon the drop member to find my location it made perfect sense.

I cut my frame using a cutting wheel on my electric grinder and I was surprised at how easy it cut the fame.

youngrodder 11-27-2015 05:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Continued...

I separated the OE front section and set it aside while I drilled the remainder of the holes to mount the PB front section. I then reassembled the DM. My first impression of the installation is it is like a big lego set. I'm very pleased

More pics

Advanced Design 11-27-2015 07:01 PM

Nice work and explanation Marc. Is this the first PB member going in on an AD frame?

whiteheadcycle 11-27-2015 10:04 PM

First off let me say I love the burb! Looks like we have both been waiting a long time for these dropmembers! I almost went a different route 4.5 months ago, but Nate/Dave confirmed with an e-mail the day after saying they were taking preorders. Anyways, after seeing your build come together I'm really glad I waited. Nate confirmed my parts will be shipping next week and I sent him a message about wheel specs, but have not heard back (holiday time). Just curious if you know backspacing and wheel height specs? Sorry for the long post!

youngrodder 11-28-2015 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7390926)
Nice work and explanation Marc. Is this the first PB member going in on an AD frame?

Thanks I was told this was kit #1...I think it is safe to assume that it is the first going on an AD suburban, It has been fun to find out what that differences are. Today I went back out in the garage and installed my front drop member so that the frame rails were tied together. I started on the back but I ran into some set backs.... I'm also trying out a new camera. I'm pleased with the picture quality.....On to the pics

Marc

youngrodder 11-28-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteheadcycle (Post 7391158)
First off let me say I love the burb! Looks like we have both been waiting a long time for these dropmembers! I almost went a different route 4.5 months ago, but Nate/Dave confirmed with an e-mail the day after saying they were taking preorders. Anyways, after seeing your build come together I'm really glad I waited. Nate confirmed my parts will be shipping next week and I sent him a message about wheel specs, but have not heard back (holiday time). Just curious if you know backspacing and wheel height specs? Sorry for the long post!

I know I answered your question in instragram but for the sake of those following along on this site I will also answer here. these kits I believe were set up to layout on 22's. Not sure if I will run 20's or 22's. I have never cared to have the largest wheel just the right look and stance. I might stick with 20's to provide a bit more sidewall and better ride.

Good luck..Oh and it is worth the wait.
Marc

youngrodder 11-28-2015 12:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Now onto the rear. Once you have located the locator hole in the front, you use this same hole and measure back to locate the placement of the rear notch...I confirmed one of my initial concerns. The rear body mounts interfere with the rear notch. I removed the mounts for now. They will be easy to reattach. Since this is a suburban that I'm building I bet PB didn't realize this would be an issue since they mocked up to truck frames. This is something that I took pictures of and I will be communicating back to them.

I cleaned both frame rails with a wire wheel, to make slipping on the rear rails easier. I later determined that I need to clearance the frame for the welded nuts on the inside of the notch. More thought/planning is needed here. I will figure it out.

Again. I'm like the challenge of figuring this out.

Marc

youngrodder 11-28-2015 12:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Detail of the body mount removed and the and rear notch...
That's a wrap for the night...

Marc

whiteheadcycle 11-28-2015 12:25 AM

Yes I did and thanks! I thought it would be better to ask over here. I was really looking for max tire diameter and wheel backspacing. I will be running 20's front and rear also. 22's are nice to look at, but I'm going to drive the **** out of this truck and want the best ride! I think Dave told me the front backspacing can not be more that 5.25 or front tire will make contact with sway bar. Anyway, sorry to be asking so many questions and look forward to your build!

CHIZZLER 11-28-2015 01:08 AM

Dang!!!! Lookin good.

reaper71 11-28-2015 04:42 PM

Looking really good Marc!

Mark...

84blaze 11-28-2015 08:26 PM

**** yea. This is wicked. Love the PB stuff.