The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

daverod 08-04-2009 09:42 PM

Re: Daverods project 66

2 Attachment(s)
I was working on my engine (350) Went to put the fuel pump on and got confussed? Does this thing look like a fuel push rod. It's flat on on end and kinda round on the other. It has little ridges on the sides. It fits in the hole and seems to be the right lenght. The reason I'm worried is because it looks just like some old broken darts I use to have.:lol: I looked at pictures on the net and I haven't seen any that look like this one.:blah::blah::blah::crazy: Just don't want to stick a dart in my new engine.:lol:

protrash64 08-04-2009 10:02 PM

Pic isnt very clear, but if it is correct the flat end would be against the cam. Try sliding it in the engine...they usually fall right out without a gob of grease to hole them in place. See if it looks right.

jgh64pkup 08-04-2009 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thats a pushrod for a brake booster it goes in between the booster and the master cylinder
first pic is a brake booster push rod
second is a fuel pump push rod

daverod 08-04-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3447828)
thats a pushrod for a brake booster it goes in between the booster and the master cylinder
first pic is a brake booster push rod
second is a fuel pump push rod

Thanks you don't know how close I came to putting that in there. Now all I have to do is find the fuel rod.;) Least now I know it's not a dart.:lol:

daverod 08-04-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3447809)
Pic isnt very clear, but if it is correct the flat end would be against the cam. Try sliding it in the engine...they usually fall right out without a gob of grease to hole them in place. See if it looks right.

Sorry my camera sucks.

jgh64pkup 08-04-2009 10:35 PM

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...ushrod&_sacat=

daverod 08-04-2009 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hay look what I found. :metal: What an idiot. I wasn't even sticking it in the right hole.:lol: Thats happened a few times the wife hates it.:lol: Thanks again. Ready to put my heads on tomorrow.:metal:

Strodder 08-04-2009 11:53 PM

Good call Gage :metal:

daverod 08-05-2009 11:09 PM

Worked on my temp sending unit tonight. After much searching I found one that used two wires. You have to ask for a 64 gmc temp sending unit. Anyway swaped it out put in some more fluid and both lights still come on. If I drive fast the green one goes out and then the red fades to pink. Just sitting still they both come on. I thought it might be a bad thermostat so I changed that out. It had a 180 in it the guy at the store said 195 was stock so thats what I put back in it. More fluid and same thing. $30 and I'm right back were I started.:devil: I'm done messing with it. I'm sure I'm not overheating. When I get the time I'm swapping to the 66 dash and putting a tech in the dash.

daverod 08-06-2009 05:57 PM

Now all of a sudden my temp lights work the way they should.:metal: Worked good all day. Set my timing to 4 degrees hit the hiway and it started cutting out at about 45- 50. Went home changed it back to 0. Thats when I got confussed again.:lol: When I set the timing a pulled the hose off from the carb. to the dist. and pluged it. When I was messing around I noticed that when I rev. the engine up the timing changed even with the hose plugged. Is that the way normally works? I thought it got a vac from the hose and that changed your timing?:confused:

ruffrida2005 08-06-2009 08:27 PM

check to make sure that your dist is tight, I could have moved when you rev it.

Strodder 08-06-2009 08:34 PM

The distributor has a centrifugal mechanical advance that will work without the vacuum hose on. That's normal. With the hose on you can check total advance. If I remember right it should be about 32 degrees. To check total advance you have to have a timing light with an advance dial on it.

ruffrida2005 08-06-2009 08:41 PM

yeah good point Strodder, I was going to say the same thing. Man I got a lot more to learn.

Strodder 08-06-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3451056)
Man I got a lot more to learn.

So do I my friend. You never stop learning :agree:

ol Curt 08-06-2009 09:10 PM

I'm 52...hoping to START learning at about 55 and start teaching at about 65.:lol::lol:

Strodder 08-06-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol Curt (Post 3451112)
I'm 52...hoping to START learning at about 55 and start teaching at about 65.:lol::lol:

I'm still not ready to teach. :haha:

daverod 08-06-2009 10:32 PM

Thanks guys. I was worried that it was'nt working but after messing with it I could see it move. I think I just set my timing to high. In a 73-86 ? book I saw that the timing was 4 degrees for a 292 thought I would try it. Back to 0 runs great. Still messing with my air screw though. When I screw it in it kills the engine but when I screw it out it doesn't seem to make a difference how far it won't make the engine studder. I just srewed it in untill I could tell a difference then backed it out a 1/4 turn. Tried hooking my vac gage to the hose going to the dist. but it would read anything untill I reved the engine up. Wish my notch would get here.

ChuckDriver 08-07-2009 07:44 AM

You may be hooking it the the port that doesen't pull vacuum until the throttle blades are open. Most carbs have one that pulls vacuum at idle and the other that only has vacuum when you come off idle. From what I remember most chevy's use the off idle vacuum to the dist. But I have seen one or two that like it the other way!

You can usuallly tell which port will have constant vacuum and which want by looking to see which is above the throttle blades and which is below. The ones below will have vacuum at all times.

daverod 08-07-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 3451660)
You may be hooking it the the port that doesen't pull vacuum until the throttle blades are open. Most carbs have one that pulls vacuum at idle and the other that only has vacuum when you come off idle. From what I remember most chevy's use the off idle vacuum to the dist. But I have seen one or two that like it the other way!

You can usuallly tell which port will have constant vacuum and which want by looking to see which is above the throttle blades and which is below. The ones below will have vacuum at all times.

It's below. It's the line that goes to the distrubitor vac advance. It on a 292 engine with a 2 barral thats all it has for lines.It also has one that goes to the pcv valve but thats a bigger hose and that's almost on the intake. I'm not even sure if that's where it normally go'es because when I bought the truck that hose was burned in half?

watahyahknow 08-08-2009 04:06 AM

this was fun to read you guys crack me up .
back on rust preventing : an old mecanic i knew used old motoroil in hollow spaces he drilled a small hole in the top poured the oil in let it sit a while and drilled a new hole in the bottom draining it ,
gets in all the nooks and crannies and with the hotter weather and dust it prolly dries up intoo sumtin like tar ....... wouldnt want to weld on any of his cars though

daverod 08-08-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 3453211)
this was fun to read you guys crack me up .
back on rust preventing : an old mecanic i knew used old motoroil in hollow spaces he drilled a small hole in the top poured the oil in let it sit a while and drilled a new hole in the bottom draining it ,
gets in all the nooks and crannies and with the hotter weather and dust it prolly dries up intoo sumtin like tar ....... wouldnt want to weld on any of his cars though

Thanks Watahyaknow. I'm always amazed by where people on this site are from.:metal:

watahyahknow 08-08-2009 09:39 AM

the internet doesnt have boundries (whell allmost) when it comes to american cars and pickup trucks theres hardly a better place to go then to american forum's

daverod 08-09-2009 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
;)Took the tail gate from my 66 and fixed it up go enough to work on my 64. It was'nt good enough for the 66. I'm going to buy a new one for that truck. But for my driver it will work good. I should have taking some pics when I was working on it. I pulled out what I could but it had a couple spots that looked like someone hit them with a golf ball. I cut those spots out hammered them flat and welded them back in. I think it turned out good. I did'nt want it to look new. I went real light on the paint and hit it with a little rust color after. I might color sand it until some of the primer start to show. Tightened up the chain fittings now it makes no noise.:metal: I might see if I can fix the old tail gate it was wacked. It might be good practice.;)

Strodder 08-09-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3455012)
;) I might see if I can fix the old tail gate it was wacked. It might be good practice.;)

Looks like a waist of time. I would do something more productive. :uhmk:

watahyahknow 08-09-2009 01:11 PM

think the best way to even try is to cut the bend sheetmetal off the carcas and try to bent new sheetmetal on the remains

daverod 08-09-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3455037)
Looks like a waist of time. I would do something more productive. :uhmk:

Waste of time!! Your right.:lol: Cant spel werth $hit but your wright. It's not as if I don't have other stuff to do.:lol: I just like welding stuff.

Strodder 08-09-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3455086)
Waste of time!! Your right.:lol: Cant spel werth $hit but your wright. It's not as if I don't have other stuff to do.:lol: I just like welding stuff.

That's what I meant. You have lots of other stuff you can be doing. If your bored you can come over here and help me. You now know where I live. :haha:

daverod 08-09-2009 08:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Better watch what you wish for. A guy said somtghing like that a couple years a ago I ended up in hawaii for 3 months built him a nice house. Lived in a little barn while we built it. Frogs everywhere. He never goes there. I use it more then him.:lol: When I get bored chit happens.:lol: Now if could just build a truck.:hh:

Strodder 08-09-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3455657)
Better watch what you wish for. A guy said somtghing like that a couple years a ago I ended up in hawaii for 3 months built him a nice house. Lived in a little barn while we built it. Frogs everywhere. He never goes there. I use it more then him.:lol: When I get bored chit happens.:lol: Now if could just build a truck.:hh:

Screw the trucks, lets go to Hawaii.:lol:

daverod 08-09-2009 08:17 PM

Been there quite a bit. Next time I'm taking my bow and stickin a pig. Last time I went I took the old lady and we sheetrocked for a month. We would work about 4 hours then hit the beach. :metal:

daverod 08-09-2009 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blacks beach.:metal: Don't look to close it will burn.:devil:

Strodder 08-09-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3455679)
Blacks beach.:metal: Don't look to close it will burn.:devil:

Too late, burned my eyes. :lol:

Dave your old lady rocks. She hepls you with sheetrock. :metal::metal:

daverod 08-09-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3455801)
Too late, burned my eyes. :lol:

Dave your old lady rocks. She hepls you with sheetrock. :metal::metal:

Ya she rocks.:lol: *****es but ya she rocks. Helps me flip my frame when I need it flipped to. *****es then too.:lol: I'm going to be in trouble.:lol::sumo:

ruffrida2005 08-09-2009 10:26 PM

Well atleast you can get yours to help you do stuff, mine *****es about everything I do. If I step foot in the garage other then to get stuff out the deep frezer she's at it.

daverod 08-09-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3455979)
Well atleast you can get yours to help you do stuff, mine *****es about everything I do. If I step foot in the garage other then to get stuff out the deep frezer she's at it.

your deep freeze is in your garage to huh.:lol:

daverod 08-09-2009 11:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started to put my heads on. Got one side done. Put the other side on and started to freak because it did'nt look right. It was only covering half a hole. Turned out it was just some kind plug thing.:lol: Did kind screw up and put the wrong bolts ( I think) in on the bottom ( the short ones). They did'nt have a circle on top? I found the right ones later. I just took the wrong ones out and replaced themn with the circle ones retightened everything a couple times. Hope it will be ok.:uhmk:

daverod 08-10-2009 12:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh I'm getting excited.:lol:

daverod 08-10-2009 12:32 AM

Well atleast you can get yours to help you do stuff, mine *****es about everything I do. If I step foot in the garage other then to get stuff out the deep frezer she's at it.:m6::blah::blah::blah::lol:

jgh64pkup 08-10-2009 10:36 AM

what heads are those

Strodder 08-10-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3456724)
what heads are those

Right on Gage keep them on track. We get enough *****ing at home. We don't need to hear about it here. Wait until you get married, then you can relate. :haha: