The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   68 aka "Chained in Porterbuilt Prison" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=475791)

Hart_Rod 08-30-2012 08:49 AM

Re: 68 aka "Chained in Porterbuilt Prison"

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 5562951)
Yes, just the area around the upper radiator hose...just had to notch slightly..U can see I pulled the back edge behind dimples toward grill so the "slight break" before the dimples does not quite line up with inner core edge..but both edges have had 3/16's round rod added...Sometimes U have to mod behind another mod..if that makes sense....all totaled..when all painted I think it will look good...considering a stainless mesh under radiator dimples....by the way ...the Lutz piece is pricey but if U look at time and the quality ....I can't duplicate for the money....and really worked well with Entropy rad.....jim

I agree on the Lutz piece, very nice work, and thanks for the info on your mods. I thought about adding a center hold down screw to the core support to minimize the distortion when you bolt it down (I'm assuming the 3/16th rod you added was for the same reason). Did you use the factory rubber mounts? When you have time, I would like to see some closer pictures of the mod you made by the radiator hose inlet. Thanks in advance.

R/

jtp67-72 08-30-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 5565727)
I agree on the Lutz piece, very nice work, and thanks for the info on your mods. I thought about adding a center hold down screw to the core support to minimize the distortion when you bolt it down (I'm assuming the 3/16th rod you added was for the same reason). Did you use the factory rubber mounts? When you have time, I would like to see some closer pictures of the mod you made by the radiator hose inlet. Thanks in advance.

R/

I'm actually going to add probably a pair of screws in center (like the end pairs) to smooth it out....notice the center of lutz piece does not center on hood latch...because radiator position on these trucks and most gm products is always centerlined with engine which is 3/4 to 1" to drivers side from chassis center...So trying to decide to center bolts in bracket or with hood latch....bracket more than likely...anyway the 3/16 rod was done to "cover" the top of grill panels in front and core panels in rear...pain in azz to do but cleans the lines up...makes top of core "fatter" lookin...but slightly throws off that "break line" in the Lutz piece behind the big dimples....think it will blend though when i'm through...pics on inlet today......jim

Hart_Rod 08-30-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 5565857)
I'm actually going to add probably a pair of screws in center (like the end pairs) to smooth it out....notice the center of lutz piece does not center on hood latch...because radiator position on these trucks and most gm products is always centerlined with engine which is 3/4 to 1" to drivers side from chassis center...So trying to decide to center bolts in bracket or with hood latch....bracket more than likely...anyway the 3/16 rod was done to "cover" the top of grill panels in front and core panels in rear...pain in azz to do but cleans the lines up...makes top of core "fatter" lookin...but slightly throws off that "break line" in the Lutz piece behind the big dimples....think it will blend though when i'm through...pics on inlet today......jim

Maybe you could weld a threaded stud to the back side of the cover that would allow you to bolt it to the core support thus hiding it? That would probably be a PITA to remove, but would not create the issue of how to center it.

jtp67-72 08-30-2012 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the pic ....rounded out around neck....also trimmed the edge holding the upper rubber..it was touching top of radiator....look close under that pair of pliers and u can see that 3/16" rolled edge effect...plug welded those panels below...that small edge of panel facing radiator will be welded ...will all be cleaned up and probably body color...jim

nibs 08-31-2012 07:09 AM

Very cool work on the fender braces and rad support. Im looking at doing something very similar... but that means I have to work on my truck! lol

Hart_Rod 08-31-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 5566809)
Here's the pic ....rounded out around neck....also trimmed the edge holding the upper rubber..it was touching top of radiator....look close under that pair of pliers and u can see that 3/16" rolled edge effect...plug welded those panels below...that small edge of panel facing radiator will be welded ...will all be cleaned up and probably body color...jim

Thanks, looks great! Have you thought about making a couple of dimples in your dash for defrost vents?

jtp67-72 09-03-2012 09:04 PM

A little progress on 1 piece windows.....In my opinion they are about as good as u get for a full glass in a oddball door..that said let me give a few pointers...study the videos on U-tube....Ben gives some updates and changes that are not in hand manual...as far as those of u asking about "loose" in mid stroke...answer is yes...but its a shortfall worth it for the look....just wouldn't roll down the road with window half way down...it doesn't have front or rear channels so it needs to be all up or all down...its has a front guide down low and that will get the window where it needs to be when going up....got lucky and with slight mods the bear claw latch will work...glass crosses at angle near top of latch...however scratch my head on still being able to use Ring Brothers latches and make a mechanical linkage...glass is 3/4" from end of door..so trying to snake behind will be a pain........thinkin and drawin as we speak.........

Try this one (forgot to tell yall..I deal with electronics daily with railroad!!)......Push in on ring bros. handle....mechanically moves micro sw....which fires heavy duty door poppers on bear claw..door opens...outside door key moves another micro sw...which cuts power to 1st sw....button push in but no fire...locked out.....turn key to unlock position...power restored..button works
Inside door have mechanical door pull overriding popper and mechanically releases bear claw.......Old school on the outside....new school under the skins..... Thoughts??? ......jim

LODI3QTR 09-03-2012 09:26 PM

:new:
Do you have any newer pictures of the truck or any of the smaller projects? Thanks......

67cheby 09-03-2012 09:45 PM

Yes ....pics please !
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 09-03-2012 09:54 PM

Cool idea for the door locks, I would just make sure the parts you use are either highly reliable, or easily attainable/replaceable...
Posted via Mobile Device

jtp67-72 09-18-2012 08:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok i'm back....swapmeets and honey do's ......just got one-piece -window in drivers side and finally got good news that the bearclaw works were i welded it in "without" any mods..looks like lock will unlatch with mechanical linkage from new ring brothers handles....due here any day.....got new door cylinders from GMC Pauls coming ...will mod with mechanical linkage for lock...So I welded up passenger door bearclaw bracket and that "pain-in-azz" curly bar for trim break....Thank God for rolocs discs!!......more this week.....jim

toocrazy 09-18-2012 09:42 PM

good to see you back!

chapster 09-18-2012 10:03 PM

Good to see your progress on the one piece window install, looks great. I also was wondering about bear claws but was concerned about fitment.

By the way I really liked your idea on the switches....
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 09-18-2012 10:35 PM

Nice !
Posted via Mobile Device

jtp67-72 09-18-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapster (Post 5600067)
Good to see your progress on the one piece window install, looks great. I also was wondering about bear claws but was concerned about fitment.

By the way I really liked your idea on the switches....
Posted via Mobile Device

The claws were thin enough to clear window edge..and linkage from handles "should" work mechanically...but switches and solonoids will work if it becomes a pain...If i stay with inside door lock knobs the action will be reversed...up will be locked...down unlocked...just a straight bar sliding up and down inside claw...may be able to use a "u shaped" arm under bar to reverse action back to normal...will see when all parts arrive...by the way when u see and here how these doors close with the claws....."big smile!!"....jim

ccracin 09-19-2012 08:16 AM

Really Nice! It's about time you get back to work! It probably took you 20 minutes just to find your thread to update it. :lol: When you get time, fill me in on the must do's or don't do's with the one piece windows. I'm not looking forward to that one.

Keep the updates rollin!

STOCKISH 09-19-2012 08:39 AM

Killer work, looks great.

72BlckButy 09-19-2012 09:55 AM

Lookin' good!

jtp67-72 09-19-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccracin (Post 5600632)
Really Nice! It's about time you get back to work! It probably took you 20 minutes just to find your thread to update it. :lol: When you get time, fill me in on the must do's or don't do's with the one piece windows. I'm not looking forward to that one.

Keep the updates rollin!

Here's the deal...love the look..they are fast acting with the power kit...when the scrapers are installed they look like they will be firmly lined up to stay in the channels...only thing i don't like is where the roll inward of the door edge next to old vent window is..that "pooch" is tight against their bracket that holds glass...when scraper is installed it will act like a "wedge" between glass bracket and that pooch...He says something about this in video #8 or 9....my solution I think will be to trim the "pooch" past the bracket and that will allow scraper not to have to "kink" slightly around that factory pooch...He doesn't show a good shot of that finished look at the point I'm talking about...I know I'm anal about some things but I don't want that scraper trying to push up at front..He uses "gorilla snot" on the that area to hold scraper...I'll see if I can get a pic this evening of what I'm talking about...jim

jtp67-72 09-19-2012 08:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the pic of window and door pooch I'm concerned with....and then work on door jamb....start to finish 1 hr......made easy with cab cuts from a forum vendor....then before and after.....

jtp67-72 09-19-2012 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And last 2...before and after finishing pie cut.....will finish tomorrow..Anybody know what that damn round indention was for??..jim

babyblueoval 09-19-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 5601847)
And last 2...before and after finishing pie cut.....will finish tomorrow..Anybody know what that damn round indention was for??..jim

to give you something to practice your welding on...........;)

They were thinking WAY ahead.

ccracin 09-19-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 5601845)
Here's the pic of window and door pooch I'm concerned with....and then work on door jamb....start to finish 1 hr......made easy with cab cuts from a forum vendor....then before and after.....

Looks good Jim, I see you what you mean about the pooch. WHich do you think will be the issue, the inner or outer or both? I need to watch those videos. Do you think this setup is better than the other that has the little triangle in the front corner? Who's power lift setup are you using?

Hosedragger622 09-19-2012 09:22 PM

My 72 had the idention with a screw through it and a coiled spring mounted on the back side, unsure what it held but i put a washer in it and welded it up to smooth the area out.

jtp67-72 09-19-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccracin (Post 5601919)
Looks good Jim, I see you what you mean about the pooch. WHich do you think will be the issue, the inner or outer or both? I need to watch those videos. Do you think this setup is better than the other that has the little triangle in the front corner? Who's power lift setup are you using?

Just that outside pooch in pic.....look close and u can see some black urethane between it and glass...thats the bracket....over all I like this setup..not perfect....but as close I think U can get for such a large glass....I never like the triangle...all of the pieces of this kit are of real good quality..rubbers ...channels ...all nice pieces.....just can't see exactly the final movement because of mock up only now....so we will see how pass. side does....and then get claws operating......jim

jtp67-72 09-30-2012 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well I'm back again.....another swapmeet coming with changes....business always gets in the way!!....lol....these pics aren't for the faint of heart....1st is of how door looks before welding old handle mounts up...R.B. handles are cut flat faced so did not look good on curve of door where old handles were SO....had to move done 1 1/2 inch...actually looks better to me ...in a couple of days I'll let ya'll decide....cut out handle "cup" and holes to an easy-to-weld rectangle.....last two pics are what it takes to make all 3 lock positions work with bear claws and 1 piece windows....That's locking with key-inside rod-and power actuator....all welded to bear claw for 1 assembly .....biggest pain so far.....and no I will not market these!!.....what a pain in azz...lol....also notice at top of bear claw....that is extra lever bracket added for opening from outside handle..Glad I took geometry in school...getting the proper lever action was the most time consuming...............jim

bonnieclyde100 09-30-2012 10:18 PM

the indention held a spring lever on the inside of the cab that held the jack tools for changing the tires

jtp67-72 09-30-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 (Post 5621951)
the indention held a spring lever on the inside of the cab that held the jack tools for changing the tires

thanx...this cab had no hole just indention..was wondering.........

Bowtie468 09-30-2012 10:42 PM

Super nice work ! Thanks for the word on the one piece door glass. :chevy:

67cheby 10-01-2012 10:56 AM

Wow

mcbassin 10-01-2012 11:17 AM

Very nice progress! more pictures.....

FRENCHBLUE72 10-30-2012 09:06 PM

As far as the glass for the doors goes mine are either all the way up or all the way down a small prive to pay I think..??

jtp67-72 10-30-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 5677069)
As far as the glass for the doors goes mine are either all the way up or all the way down a small prive to pay I think..??

VERY MUCH AGREED!! PREPING FOR SWAPMEET IN TEXAS...more progress soon....jim

moggey01 10-31-2012 04:03 AM

Jim where is you swap meet going to be and when?

jtp67-72 10-31-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moggey01 (Post 5677574)
Jim where is you swap meet going to be and when?

Conroe....montgomery co. fairgrounds...our 37th year..nov. 2-4.....already crazy and haven't opened yet!!.............jim

widewhite70 11-01-2012 10:09 PM

Nice work, looking good!

Hawghauler 11-04-2012 12:01 PM

I'm a newbie here, but your build really caught my eye. I've enjoyed watching your progress. This is an excellent build. You've got some real talent. I can't wait to see the rest.

Strodder 11-08-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawghauler (Post 5684785)
I'm a newbie here, but your build really caught my eye. I've enjoyed watching your progress. This is an excellent build. You've got some real talent. I can't wait to see the rest.

I second that. And great ideas. :metal:

Hart_Rod 11-30-2012 05:35 PM

Need some updates, :D

aggie91 12-11-2012 03:27 PM

I like your build. Can't wait to see the door handles...