The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

markeb01 12-29-2009 06:25 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

My truck is happiest when started every day. If left for 3 days, she gets testy and difficult. After 2 months under a cover she becomes very capricious and obstinate. So today I pulled the winter cover off and spent about 15 minutes coaxing, praising, cranking and manipulating the choke, fast idle, and throttle before arriving at the magic combination and she fired back to life. Another half hour of listening to the gear drive and mufflers while warming up to operating temperature was very soothing. I can’t wait for spring.

ravens65 12-29-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 3698842)
My truck is happiest when started every day. If left for 3 days, she gets testy and difficult. After 2 months under a cover she becomes very capricious and obstinate. So today I pulled the winter cover off and spent about 15 minutes coaxing, praising, cranking and manipulating the choke, fast idle, and throttle before arriving at the magic combination and she fired back to life. Another half hour of listening to the gear drive and mufflers while warming up to operating temperature was very soothing. I can’t wait for spring.

sounds like my wife! hahaha

scotts62 12-29-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3698954)
sounds like my wife! hahaha

:haha:

You know i was thinking the same thing then i saw your post :lol:

jgh64pkup 12-29-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3698409)
Thats right-you are a young buck aren't you!!
its nice that our hobby won't die with us oldtimers.
don't let that 6 cylinder fool you , w/ that exhaust
it will smoke the tires from a stand still!!!

how far are you on your truck?

i moved it into the shop again last night but just so it wouldnt get snowed on again :lol:
im building a sub box right now :D

1Bad62Pro/Street 12-29-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3697376)
Well, The first thing I did was to install a Flowmaster exhaust on my 16-year olds firebird ( chrismas present from me ) the nut didn't drop to far from the tree. hahaha of course he wanted to help ( till I broke out the welder!) I have 3 boys 10,16, 23 so they aren't suprised at any thing that I build , they have seen it all- guitars, cars, trucks, model A's , houses and art work , anyone else seems to be impressed , but its nothing but a thing to them ( even thought of building a jet engine @ one time ) till we researched how dangerious that they are (momma put a stop to that project!!)they have seen chevelles, a model a, 58 chevy truck, custom harleys, sand rails and several monster trucks,and 3 4-5-6ers there I go again off the subject ... Sorry ...... I have sometimers disease, sometimes I forget what we are talking about!!!! OK after the exhaust ,I ran my oak wood for the bed thru my planer . cant believe how ruff those kits are , should have made my own !! had to drive the truck out of the garage and up the hill so that we had room to work on the firebird 's exhaust . It looked so nice sitting up there that I broke out the camera . looks like it sits too high so more lowering is in store , if all the parts were on it I think it comes down some, we'll see . Eric

Whatcha got plans for your bed bud? Seen where ya had to do some cuttin to make room for your hides.

ravens65 12-29-2009 10:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street (Post 3699236)
Whatcha got plans for your bed bud? Seen where ya had to do some cuttin to make room for your hides.

I have 72 inner fenders that I sectioned 4" out of , still looks factory but have 20'' of room for even fatter tires after I burn those off !! just took them off for body work and paint heres some pics for ya!!

ravens65 12-29-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3699017)
:haha:

You know i was thinking the same thing then i saw your post :lol:

yea hated to be me hahahahaha wanna trade lives , I mean wives!!!

sams60gmc 12-30-2009 02:27 AM

Went to Fastenal today and bought some 3/4-16 Grade 8 bolts and cut the heads off of them and coped them to fit 1 1/2 tubing. Tomorrow I'll make lower bag mounts.

sams60gmc 12-30-2009 03:13 AM

Just ordered some bags. Airlift 2600's :metal::metal::metal:

ravens65 12-30-2009 01:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, finally got around to put a finish on my oak for the stepside ,I chose teak oil , for its ability to shed water. (florida has a lot of liquid sunshine). notice the notches for the inner fenders.... What this????, inner fenders on a step side? thats right! . I used 72 fleetside inners ( after sectioning out 4" ) its a great way to " tub " a stepside and get a stock look . customizing is great, but.... I like my tricks to be un-noticed , where you have to look hard to notice! everything that I've done to this '65 has that same princeable. of course its hard not to notice 15" wide tires but.... something had to give !!!!!!!! it bearly takes off without spinning with regular tires, had to hook up somehow. more later - painting bed strips w/ gloss black epoxy, for durablity, this is to be my daily driver. told the old lady this morning that I was NOT selling the truck ( as she so nicely requested !!) yesterday she made mention that maybe some of my new friends that I've made on this site might have somewhere for me to stay!!! more on that #@$*>&# later
chow for now . Eric

ruffrida2005 12-30-2009 03:49 PM

love the truck man if you need a place to keep it your more then welcome to leave in it my garage, and when you come to Texas you can use it!

ravens65 12-30-2009 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
GOT WOOD? a few shots as it lays, didn't get the bed strips painted , guess thats tomorrow

ravens65 12-30-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3700539)
love the truck man if you need a place to keep it your more then welcome to leave in it my garage, and when you come to Texas you can use it!

Thanks paul , I love texas - don't be suprised if I knock at your door!

Eric

jgh64pkup 12-30-2009 06:26 PM

well while you there you can leave it in my shop too :D :lol:

ruffrida2005 12-30-2009 06:43 PM

Your too far away from me Gage.

What gas tank is that your using Eric?

ravens65 12-30-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3700764)
well while you there you can leave it in my shop too :D :lol:

promise not to sneak it out at night and do burn-outs?

ruffrida2005 12-30-2009 07:34 PM

Eric your talking to a 15y/o, he plans on cruzing it up and down the strip. And did i mention he lives not that far from a drag strip.

ravens65 12-30-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3700790)
Your too far away from me Gage.

What gas tank is that your using Eric?

it's a company called Kustom tanks and I bought it about 3 years ago , I think it was close to $400.00 shipped . made just for 4-5-6ers and still didn't fit right ,had to trim a bed cross member . mine is on a slight angle and I've been looking at others that don't seem to be angled . it still has the stock rivets in it - so I don't think its been off , must be one of those differences that are between years and assembly plants. oh the locking cap was almost $70.00 and I had to shorten the tube on it and the tank to make it fit. does anything fit anymore?? Eric

ravens65 12-30-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3700865)
Eric your talking to a 15y/o, he plans on cruzing it up and down the strip. And did i mention he lives not that far from a drag strip.

yea , I know- wasn't it great to be young, I told him about my 16 year old putting his firebird in the ditch , w/ a car load of buddies- needless to say now it has a black door , a new tie-rod and a pair of front tires . its funny now, but.... as we were writing the check , I failed to see the humor in it!!
Eric

jgh64pkup 12-31-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3700832)
promise not to sneak it out at night and do burn-outs?

yep im not that childish :ben: or am i :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3700865)

i live far away from the strip like a whole 60 miles
eric what will it run 7.50s in the 1/8th

ravens65 12-31-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3701389)
yep im not that childish :ben: or am i :haha:

i live far away from the strip like a whole 60 miles
eric what will it run 7.50s in the 1/8th

No idea, but I'll let you watch the movie

ravens65 12-31-2009 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
worked on the bed, painted the strips w/ gloss black epoxy - still not bolted down , but.... they are painted . I laid them in place -for lack of a better place to put them . The epoxy looks great , nice and smooth - best paint that I've used in a long time ( out of the spray can ) still messing w/ the wood , notice that I didn't let the bed bolts come thru the wood - looks much cleaner that way. I have all the ss bolts to finish up with . bought a box of ss fasteners -every nut, bolt, and washer for the complete truck -doors, box, fenders,interior screws and fasteners ect. right down the the rear view, glove box, you name it - everything!!!!! I either have time or money - never both so when I had money, I bought parts and put them on my shelf . now I don't have two dimes to rub together , but... I have time !! HEY!!! am I the only one working on my truck ???? come on guys there is always something to do ......ALWAYS!!!! so stop kidding yourself and get busy!! looks like I've hijacked this thread- WTF ??? are you telling me you have nothing to sand , fab, paint, polish, nothing??? I put most of my stuff on this thread , because ...I just joined and am to far along to start a build thread. looks like I'll have this done and the next project well underway before you slackers get anything done! come one your the ones that inspired me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get a move on it!!!! Eric

"9 out of ten women are battered , I'm still eatin' mine plain!"

gmcdude 12-31-2009 04:26 PM

I set timming today.

ravens65 12-31-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcdude (Post 3702497)
I set timming today.

finally someone else that did something. I hijacked this thread a few days ago. that makes two of us out of 20,000 members that got out of bed today!

"9 out of 10 women are battered, I'm still eatin' mine plain!"

astrochimp 12-31-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3702460)

HEY!!! am I the only one working on my truck ???? come on guys there is always something to do ......ALWAYS!!!! so stop kidding yourself and get busy!! Eric

Today's high temp 18 deg.

No heat in garage, and truck is in drive (garage full).

NOTHING on my truck needs worked on that bad :)

Nice looking bed!

ruffrida2005 12-31-2009 07:27 PM

it's been raining all day here, and it's cold 42*

scotts62 12-31-2009 09:19 PM

Its around 30 here... got out and moved the hangers forward on the drivers side, going to do passenger side this weekend the put the short bed on :metal:

Dan in Pasadena 12-31-2009 09:50 PM

It was 70 degrees this morning and I was out on Colorado Blvd - the crowds were massing for the Rose Parade and every kind of old car you can think of was cruising thru Old Town so I decided to go home and get my '46 out and take it for a ride.

Started right up, I got out to move another car in the driveway and when I got back in it had died. Hmmm? I started it...and it died. Long story short? Fuel pump took a crap. I got it off quickly. No idea what model car my 350 originally came from so when the kid at Pep Boys parts counter asked me "Make, Model and Year?" I said, "I have no idea" And he reacted like a monkey doing a math problem! If he didn't have the info he was lost. I told him, "...check early 70's 350's..." He EVENTUALLY got with the idea and since there were no other local parts houses open today around here, it was Pep Boys or nothing.

I got a fuel pump alright but the fittings are different than what had been on it. Pep Boys didn't have what I needed; OSH didn't either; SCREW IT. I pushed it back down the driveway and I'll leave it for the weekend. Damn, I really wanted to cruise with the "other kids"!

Rich 5150 69 12-31-2009 11:53 PM

If you go with a eldebrock you can always rotate the base to fit your needs..http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...mps_main.shtml

ravens65 01-01-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 3702620)
Today's high temp 18 deg.

No heat in garage, and truck is in drive (garage full).

NOTHING on my truck needs worked on that bad :)

Nice looking bed!

in 2007 had a 2007 h-2 in the driveway and a rusty 65 in the garage , see where i'm going with this? hahahaha its Ok ,just messin with ya .Eric

ravens65 01-01-2010 02:12 AM

:metal:
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3703022)
Its around 30 here... got out and moved the hangers forward on the drivers side, going to do passenger side this weekend the put the short bed on :metal:

you the man , 30 outside and you still are still at it , thats why I'm moving along . you guys got me back on track!!!! :metal:

lakeroadster 01-01-2010 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
No turning back now! Cut out the lower 2/3 of the original dash and began fitting the stretched Camaro Dash.

Working out pretty well thus far.... more pic's on page 3 of my build thread.

markeb01 01-01-2010 08:20 PM

Outstanding, can't wait to see it complete. Sure like how the one turned out in the model A.

Rich 5150 69 01-02-2010 12:42 AM

John you got more guts than I have,,,, awesome :lol:

lakeroadster 01-02-2010 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 (Post 3705061)
John you got more guts than I have,,,, awesome :lol:

Believe me I walked around a bit questioning my sanity before I took the cutoff wheel to the original dash. :crazy:

Since the original dash had been butchered by the previous owner in the radio area and in the glove box area I only felt a little hackers remorse.

I'd love to know the history of my truck.... the interior had been painted lime green at one point! :barf:

scotts62 01-02-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3703435)
:metal:

you the man , 30 outside and you still are still at it , thats why I'm moving along . you guys got me back on track!!!! :metal:

Yeah i have one in shop im working on painting and i didnt want to wait till it was done :D :lol:

ol Curt 01-02-2010 06:08 PM

Primed my hood, cowl pieces and front fenders. Put a coil in my daughters Honda. put a serpentine belt on my sons Mustang.

ravens65 01-02-2010 06:29 PM

well , its cold even in florida today but...I installed my interior vents and my horn . doesn't sound like much but I also dug thru the boxes on my shelf and found some missing parts tried to mock up my e-brake and its not gonna work had to remove the cross member that has the levers attached to it to install a different trans. cross member for the t-10 4spd. not sure what to do now .I have 5 mounts for eng. and trans. 2motor-2bellhousing - 1 trans.
what now????? guess I'll have to fab another part now, when will it stop?? Eric

ruffrida2005 01-02-2010 08:21 PM

if you want to, when your wife makes you leave the truck at my house, you can fab me up a 4 link and bring it with you.

ravens65 01-02-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3706495)
if you want to, when your wife makes you leave the truck at my house, you can fab me up a 4 link and bring it with you.

Right , she stopped with the "sell it " finally understands how I feel ,omg I think I just admitted to having feelings. is been a tuff year, sounds like I'm worn down, hope she doesn't notice hahahaha -hey tell me about that front suspention on yours. Eric