The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   GM Semis (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=562785)

junkmandan3 01-22-2014 11:13 PM

Re: GM Semis

That crackerbox on Craigslist has a few different options.............like the dual headlights, I've never seen that treatment before, but those fender panels are fiberglass so could easily be modified. But what puzzles me is-----Where is the shift lever. Normally the lever sits on that pad that stays down when cab is tilted, plus the pad with brake valves is smaller than I remember . Ad says 5 and 3 which would be an Eaton 3 speed axle that was popular in that era on tandems . Truck looks good but 2-3000 is more reasonable for the antique. Owner is a farmer because of the box for sickle bar knives on the doghouse.

238 and 6-71 or 6V71 is used interchangably , as is 318 and 8V71 ..........just the popular max HP rating of the respective engines.

C10 - C90 Bill 01-22-2014 11:31 PM

Dan,

Now that I study on it a little, those Headlight Bezels look a lot like '59 Chevy car Bezels.

I thought the same thing about the Shifter, lol. Where is it? But as mentioned, I don't have much experience with these type of trucks and thought maybe it was hiding along side the seat ??

Bill

junkmandan3 01-22-2014 11:59 PM

Bill-------I'll never forget the shift lever coming up through the platform fixed over the engine..............because if you didn't position the lever just perfect when you let the cab down, it would set on the lever and spring the bottom of the cab hole which meant noise and dirt forever. The first bunch of a half dozen or so that Gateway bought had the 6V71s that didn't have water below port blocks . Cables on shift linkage that got stiff, so GMC came up with a rod setup which was better. But because of the block design, the original engines only went 100 to 130K before overhaul in tandem axle tractors. Those were 60-61 vintage . About 1962 or 63 they got about 20 IHC DCO405s that had the V6 with water below port blocks that lived better. Also bought some single axle units from GMC that were OK . I had been transferred to Cleveland in '63 when they got a small group of B series with inline 71s. The Florida company,[Tamiami] , had a bunch of D 860s when Gateway bought that company . I picked up some literature this summer and Tamiami had glowing comments about that combo.

C10 - C90 Bill 01-23-2014 10:07 AM

Dan,

Luckily (matter of opinion though I guess), the company I worked for always bought Conventional Cab trucks. The main reason I have little experience with Cab Overs. A friend of mine drove Medium GMC COE's and he would complain about them now and then. I actually can't remember ever driving any type of COE. Rode in a few though. The exception would be GMC "Old Look" buses. I drove a few of those along with 1 GMC "Fishbowl" (one style newer than the "Old Look" (Jackie Gleason type) for those not familiar with the term).

Bill

studda 01-23-2014 10:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's another Craigslist find:
1977 GMC 7500
twin screw road tractor
427 gas
5 tranny with 2 speed rear end
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4272798932.html

studda 01-23-2014 10:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more of the same truck above:

C10 - C90 Bill 01-24-2014 11:18 AM

Nice Heavy Medium.

Not a bad price either, although they are calling it a "Farm Truck". May not be road worthy in it's present condition, but still looks like a pretty good deal.

Bill

junkmandan3 01-24-2014 05:41 PM

Nice truck, clean, and money is fair, but.........those alligator hoods are accidents looking for a place to happen.

C10 - C90 Bill 01-24-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkmandan3 (Post 6488983)
.........those alligator hoods are accidents looking for a place to happen.

Dan,

I don't have much experience with these newer Mediums as I stop at '72, but what is an an "Alligator Hood" ??

studda 01-24-2014 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the "alligator hood" is a reference to the way it opens. Think of an alligator opening its mouth. Just imagine a motor between the bottom rows of teeth.

special-K 01-24-2014 09:31 PM

She's a stout one. Maybe a grain hauler is what they meant. Those trucks usually age more gracefully. My back hurts just looking under that hood.(it was already hurtin,to be honest)

C10 - C90 Bill 01-24-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studda (Post 6489200)
I think the "alligator hood" is a reference to the way it opens. Think of an alligator opening its mouth. Just imagine a motor between the bottom rows of teeth.

I believe you are right, lol !!

I agree, that truck should have had a Tlit Front End. I almost thought it did for a second as there is some kind of Rubber Seal on the Fender, but obviously it doesn't.

Bill

junkmandan3 01-24-2014 11:34 PM

Bill---My descriptions for 3 types of hoods for conventional cab trucks is : Alligator [Studda is right], Butterfly [opens both sides], and tilt.............. I had a '73 GMC 7500 6V53 horse van with butterfly hood , they are deadly like an alligator hood unless you carry a step ladder . There was NO way a driver could pull a dipstick or check coolant level safely. OSHA shudda barred them years ago .

studda 01-24-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 6489280)
She's a stout one. Maybe a grain hauler is what they meant. Those trucks usually age more gracefully. My back hurts just looking under that hood.(it was already hurtin,to be honest)

I see a lot of grain trucks here in the Midwest that are lightly used and look almost brand new. Farmers only use them very shortly at harvest time. Every other time of the year, they are shacked up in a barn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill (Post 6489321)
I believe you are right, lol !!

I agree, that truck should have had a Tlit Front End. I almost thought it did for a second as there is some kind of Rubber Seal on the Fender, but obviously it doesn't.

Bill

I thought it did too, at first (I took a second look), based on the split in the front fender flare.

C10 - C90 Bill 01-25-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkmandan3 (Post 6489503)
Bill---My descriptions for 3 types of hoods for conventional cab trucks is : Alligator [Studda is right], Butterfly [opens both sides], and tilt.............. I had a '73 GMC 7500 6V53 horse van with butterfly hood , they are deadly like an alligator hood unless you carry a step ladder . There was NO way a driver could pull a dipstick or check coolant level safely. OSHA shudda barred them years ago .

Dan,

I'm well familiar with the Butterfly and the Tilt, but never heard the term "Alligator" before, lol. Makes sense though.

I had a truck pretty close to what you had. I had a '67 GMC 7500 with a 6V-53 and a Butterfly Hood. It's been a while, but I used to put my foot up on the Bumper somehow, jump up on it and would balance myself the best I could to check the Oil. Only one day I was concentrating too much on jumping up there and forgot to duck the corner of the Hood that was propped up in the air. I can still remember the pain.

Now I believe you had (or have) a few yourself, but my '71 9500 had a Tilt. As drivers, like most, we were required to check the Oil and Water every morning. I also did some minor repairs on it. Sure was a big difference.

Bill

KQQL IT 01-25-2014 02:55 AM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/test1.jpg

Not quite a semi but too cool

studda 01-25-2014 03:00 AM

That's one slick looking truck. Is that an LCF (new to the terminology)?

C10 - C90 Bill 01-25-2014 09:56 AM

Nice truck. A lot of people out there are fans of "patina", but I'll take brand new fresh paint anyday. That is some nice paint.

Studda, right, that is a Low Cab Forward.

Bill

special-K 01-25-2014 02:33 PM

Yep Studda. In this size GM the COE ended with the Advance Designs and the Task Masters began the LCF.

junkmandan3 01-28-2014 12:25 AM

Tim------In your post # 1 from Jan. 25, 5th picture down of the MH 9500 with the load of logs . Did you notice the triple train horns on the cab . That is a factory photo , and I've pointed that horn option out to people . I have a GMC sales data book from 1966 and shows that as an option . At the Mid America Truck show in Louisville , I asked at the Grover booth if they still made that horn . The lady factory rep did get back to me about 2 weeks after the show, and said "no longer available" . I' have pictures of one on another MH 9500 at the Colorado ATHS convention and show. Thanks for that pic.

junkmandan3 01-29-2014 12:18 AM

Tim and Bill-------The Cole crackerbox tanker definitely had a 5th wheel. Our youngest daughter lived in Bangor about 20 years ago, so I got to the Cole museum twice . And the steer axles on Hendrickson walking beams has gotta be rough . I have my own pictures somewhere, plus I have the book on Cole history .

junkmandan3 01-29-2014 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill (Post 5863152)
Y'all keep producing pictures of some trucks that I have never seen before. Tim, that red "Peterson's" Long Nose 9500 sure is nice.

Bill

My 70 Chev MH 90 had that running board on driver's side [post # 40], and a big rectangular 100 gallon tank with a step on right side .

C10 - C90 Bill 01-29-2014 10:29 AM

Dan,

Did your truck have an 8V-71?

junkmandan3 01-29-2014 11:02 AM

Originally was an 8V71, as were 99% of the MHs, but I have an 8V71T with front mounted turbo, similar to the more recent engines where they lowered the sillouete with the newer style plumbing that eliminated the emergency stop. Has the "broken back" rack with single adjusting screws which came out about 1977. Mine also had the RT 910 and was changed to 9513, SLHD Rockwell with 4.10 gears, Hendrickson spring and Stopmaster brakes .Our local vocational school did most of the modifications for me, I was on the advisory board for 27 years and gave them some "real world" projects .

C10 - C90 Bill 01-29-2014 11:23 AM

I sure would have liked to have been there at that Vocational School. Pretty cool project to work on.

Bill

special-K 01-29-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkmandan3 (Post 6494631)
Tim------In your post # 1 from Jan. 25, 5th picture down of the MH 9500 with the load of logs . Did you notice the triple train horns on the cab . That is a factory photo , and I've pointed that horn option out to people . I have a GMC sales data book from 1966 and shows that as an option . At the Mid America Truck show in Louisville , I asked at the Grover booth if they still made that horn . The lady factory rep did get back to me about 2 weeks after the show, and said "no longer available" . I' have pictures of one on another MH 9500 at the Colorado ATHS convention and show. Thanks for that pic.

That picture is a '67 GMC Trucks ad postcard they sent out. I have a set of 5 from pickup to that full tilt MH9500. I didn't know that. But,now that you pointed that out,I imagine they wouldn't show a truck dolled up with things they didn't offer. I know the dual stacks was an option. That's some truck!

special-K 01-29-2014 11:30 AM

Dan,about your Jimmy Diesel guy. There was a guy from Sturgis Hauling selling those at the Macungie swap meet a couple years ago. I got one and asked for info on it. He said he didn't know,he found it and scanned it somewhere

C10 - C90 Bill 01-29-2014 04:36 PM

Well, when you all got talking about Avatars again, it got me thinking to the one I picked out many months ago. But with my limited computer knowledge, I could never get the darn thing to post. By some good luck, my wife is off work this week and she got the picture to post in about 10 minutes.

<------------

Bill

KQQL IT 01-29-2014 04:50 PM

Nice.

68panelman 01-29-2014 05:01 PM

Took me about 6 months to figure it out also.

junkmandan3 01-29-2014 05:24 PM

Tim------You got it from Earl Fitzgerald [sturgishauling1@yahoo.com] who got a sample from a mutual adopted son Dave Mueller, who got it from me in the first place . I met Earl maybe 6-7 years ago through Dave who I met in 1990 or '91 on the way back to Cleveland from the Marlboro, Mass ATHS national show. Turned out Dave is from upstate NY about 50 miles from my roots, he was a student at Ohio Diesel Tech and getting gas at my normal diesel stop in Salmanca on the Indian reservation . About 2 years ago Earl planted a decal on my power chair at Macungie that I use at many shows to save my back. My feeble memory was aroused by the late Jim Bowser who asked me about the little guy who was used in all GM Diesel's parts and service bulletins in the 50-60s . I found a sample in my vast library of DD and GMC stuff, gave it to Jim who enlarged it and had decals made. They've graced a local 1950 Oliver tractor, Joe Fuller's red Cannonball with 60" Bentz sleeper and Cummins engine . Joe's Cannonball is another story ! You may know Earl has a truck restoration shop and currently is working on a 12V71 powered Brockway , among other projects . He had offered to redo my DD powered pickup, but I was foolishly too cheap to give it to him.

junkmandan3 01-29-2014 05:27 PM

Bill----I'm sure you noticed on your avatar picture that the truck was built on either Monday or Friday.............because it has Dayton wheels on one side and Budd on the other. Glad it wasn't my truck !

C10 - C90 Bill 01-29-2014 07:25 PM

I only see Daytons ??

junkmandan3 01-29-2014 08:57 PM

Look on the original brochure, you'll see what I see........Slick advertising .

But on another thought, I was getting you confused with Ashton Lewis . Was it you or he that was the GMC salesman back in the '70s. He's the guy with the slick ASTRO with 12V71 .

C10 - C90 Bill 01-29-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkmandan3 (Post 6497899)
Look on the original brochure, you'll see what I see........Slick advertising .

But on another thought, I was getting you confused with Ashton Lewis . Was it you or he that was the GMC salesman back in the '70s. He's the guy with the slick ASTRO with 12V71 .

I get it now....

That was Ashton. I haven't talked to him in a long while. He is an interesting guy who is pretty knowledge-able on a lot of details on these old great trucks. Didn't know he had an Astro with a 12V-71.

For the Nascar fans out there, the name Ashton Lewis might sound familiar to you. His son, Ashton Lewis, Jr ran Nationwide cars (might have been the Busch Series back then) for a few years.

Bill

junkmandan3 01-30-2014 04:17 PM

Bill------Somewhere in the pictures here are pictures of his truck. One thing that catches your eye is the horizontal mounted air cleaners and the swooping exhaust pipe over the air cleaner. Might be back on 2nd or 3rd page .

KQQL IT 01-30-2014 07:48 PM

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5487/1...06a05fac_b.jpg

C10 - C90 Bill 01-30-2014 11:18 PM

Real nice looking truck. If all original, I'm going to say a 4-71 Detroit.

Bill

junkmandan3 01-31-2014 12:22 AM

If the engine hasn't been changed, it would be of the 900 series models with 6-71. The depth, or height of the side panels on the hood plus the number of grille bars are the clues I use.

The fat cab models from 700 up through 850 are similar in appearance from the outside, but have shorter side panels and one less grille bar and could have either the 503 gas or 4-71s with a solid steel firewall,[no doghouse in the cab]. The 900s had a doghouse flush with the dash which would be about a foot behind the firewall.

Strange things about their numbering system back in the 40s and 50s on the way they changed model #s according to GVW and # of axles. The 980, which they seemed to discontinue early on had a 100K GCW with 12:00x24 tires. But the 970 continued even offering the 6-71T in 1957 and maybe 1958 when GMC released the D 860 with the "Dolly Parton" grille.

greywuuf 01-31-2014 03:59 AM

mister Junkman, if I may can I get you to look back at the "Trucks are beautiful" post I made with the detri\oit powered c-70 ( the red all wheel drive one) and give me you opinion on it, I am unclear of the "deep side skirts" you mentioned on the other one posted.... I could use a lesson. thanks !