The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 01-23-2012 12:59 AM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudz (Post 5139983)
He probably read this thread and didnt want to loose the job haha any progress is good progress.

Probably not, but you never know!

wutnxt 01-23-2012 10:27 AM

Thats body shop talk for.......we have spent all of your deposit so bring some parts and another truck of money so we can keep going on your truck....lmao....hey it sounds like they are making prgress...thats exciting

Dieselwrencher 01-23-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5140484)
Thats body shop talk for.......we have spent all of your deposit so bring some parts and another truck of money so we can keep going on your truck....lmao....hey it sounds like they are making prgress...thats exciting

I didn't give him any money, but I did take my primer and paint to him for it. Plus, he wants me to do head gaskets on his 92 F-150 instead of $$$. I told him sure, when my truck gets done and out of your shop and in mine. Maybe I'll have to stall a while...................................:devil:

Dieselwrencher 01-24-2012 04:38 PM

Today I went over to cut my dash for my cd player before they actually paint it. Plus, I wanted to see what work actually got done on it. I was surprised. He did get most of the body work done, it just needs more sanding to get it in the booth. He was cussing the primer asking where the heck I got it, and WTF was it? :lol: I told him it was some PPG stuff and he really liked that because he is a Sikkens man. He said he still has to mess with the door alignment some more, but it is looking better to me.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00521.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00516.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00517.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00518.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00519.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00520.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00522.jpg

Here's the dash before:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00523.jpg

With billet radio plate on:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00524.jpg

Hole cut and plate installed.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00525.jpg

I know, I know. I ruined a perfectly good A/C dash. I could care less too. I want my radio in the dash, not under the seat or in the glove box, and I don't want to spend big money for a retro'd knob radio. But that's just me. :lol:

Cameron 1137 01-24-2012 07:24 PM

im not a fan of cut dashes because some look like hack jobs, but it looks really good with the billet plate, very clean.

onebadbowtie 01-24-2012 10:59 PM

thats exactly how i did my stereo in my very first 72.....except in titanium i really liked how it turned out

Dieselwrencher 01-24-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron 1137 (Post 5143654)
im not a fan of cut dashes because some look like hack jobs, but it looks really good with the billet plate, very clean.

Thanks. That's why I got the billet plate. Too help stiffen the dash where the radio rests, and to help dress it up a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie (Post 5144182)
thats exactly how i did my stereo in my very first 72.....except in titanium i really liked how it turned out

I may go away from the polished piece to a brushed one, but I highly doubt it. :lol:

fakerwade 01-25-2012 11:56 PM

Getting close to paint?? Man that's got to be exciting!:mm:

Dieselwrencher 01-26-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakerwade (Post 5146355)
Getting close to paint?? Man that's got to be exciting!:mm:

Yes it is! :lol:

Dieselwrencher 01-27-2012 12:05 AM

I took some wash primer there today and he had the windshield cut back out, the interior sanded, and they were supposed to push it in the booth to get ready to primer it. Tick tock. :lol:

jbclassix 01-27-2012 12:14 AM

cant wait to see the final product! Tell 'em to hurry will ya! GEEEEZ!

Dieselwrencher 01-27-2012 12:19 AM

You'll have to wait too! :lol: For now he's doing the cab and doors so he can get the truck out of the shop. Then he's supposed to do hood and fenders soon after. Yeah, FM! He better hurry. He's going to have a pissed off fat guy over there with my foot up his a** until he does. :lol:

propanemudtruck 01-27-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5148388)
He's going to have a pissed off fat guy over there with his foot up his a** until he does. :lol:

Thought I told you those plans were tentative? :sumo:

Rodzzilla 01-28-2012 01:56 PM

Gonna be sweet, Ryan!

Dieselwrencher 01-31-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodzzilla (Post 5151325)
Gonna be sweet, Ryan!

Thanks Rod. How have you been? Long time no see! What do you have going on Saturday afternoon?

Dieselwrencher 01-31-2012 12:30 PM

Guess what? Nope, still not painted!

1968vetL-71 01-31-2012 11:12 PM

Ryan, you know when you really want something really bad it NEVER works out. So just start telling yourself that you just don't care if it ever gets done, and that the primer is really starting to grow on ya. Then next thing you know....... Well, sometimes it works out! :lol: I'm sure it will be worth the wait man. Great build so far.

wutnxt 01-31-2012 11:59 PM

Chuckles re foot up a body shop guy's a@@.....

I feel your pain....My body shop buddy has my 66 prostreet truck.....my 66 SBBW truck...my 69 Z....rolls my eyes...and people wonder why i drink...LMAO**

Dieselwrencher 02-01-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968vetL-71 (Post 5158903)
Ryan, you know when you really want something really bad it NEVER works out. So just start telling yourself that you just don't care if it ever gets done, and that the primer is really starting to grow on ya. Then next thing you know....... Well, sometimes it works out! :lol: I'm sure it will be worth the wait man. Great build so far.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw this coming so I just need to forget about it until I get my other work done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5159029)
Chuckles re foot up a body shop guy's a@@.....

I feel your pain....My body shop buddy has my 66 prostreet truck.....my 66 SBBW truck...my 69 Z....rolls my eyes...and people wonder why i drink...LMAO**

Dang, that stinks. I guess that's what happens when you use the buddy system. (Part of my problem here too)

Rodzzilla 02-01-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5157863)
Thanks Rod. How have you been? Long time no see! What do you have going on Saturday afternoon?

Busy w/Work. I have to go to Iowa City in the morning. Not sure what time I will be back. What's going on Saturday?

mcbassin 02-01-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5157865)
Guess what? Nope, still not painted!

Sorry to hear that Ryan. Paint prison is definetly not a wanted delay. Just keep your head up and do what you can on the build, good luck with those buddy deals.

6lcummins 02-01-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodzzilla (Post 5159400)
Busy w/Work. I have to go to Iowa City in the morning. Not sure what time I will be back. What's going on Saturday?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502757

Rodzzilla 02-01-2012 06:39 PM

Thanks, Nick! I will see what time we get back. And if the massive B-Lizard arrives like they are predicting. :waah:

Dieselwrencher 02-01-2012 09:33 PM

Yeah, we are due for some white crap I guess. :lol: Today I cut out the windshield from my old cab to get the OEM trim out. I called the body man to see when to expect to come and get it. He said Friday or saturday on painting it. In reality that means second Tuesday of next week. So maybe by the time I go pick up my burb shell in Topeka he'll have the SOB painted. (I don't have a time frame of when I'm going to go get it, but he better have this thing painted before then.)

onebadbowtie 02-09-2012 01:01 AM

any color yet?

wutnxt 02-09-2012 10:06 AM

Hey just checking in on progress.......i know that waiting for paint thing well.
I still haven't picked a color for my prostreet truck....and it's in high build now...

Dieselwrencher 02-10-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie (Post 5176252)
any color yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5176646)
Hey just checking in on progress.......i know that waiting for paint thing well.
I still haven't picked a color for my prostreet truck....and it's in high build now...

Take a wild guess. Nope no ******* paint! He called me Wednesday night and said he had to weld up a couple cracks in the door. Last night he called and said it was in the booth masked off and ready. He claimed he was going to tack rag it and blow it this morning. I haven't heard crap. I told him I'd wait for his call on the 2nd Tuesday of next week and pay him on the 30th of February!

watahyahknow 02-10-2012 04:04 PM

maibe he will buff it and build it together before he calls you ....... supriiiise

Dieselwrencher 02-10-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 5179510)
maibe he will buff it and build it together before he calls you ....... supriiiise

That would be nice wouldn't it? :lol: He just called me and said he's just now getting ready to spray the rock gaurd. He asked me how thick the mouldings were because he thought he'd spray the rock gaurd all the way up to the lower moulding. I told him to just do the rocker down. I don't really care for the lower 1/3 of the truck to have a texture look. What about you guys?

onebadbowtie 02-10-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5180171)
That would be nice wouldn't it? :lol: He just called me and said he's just now getting ready to spray the rock gaurd. He asked me how thick the mouldings were because he thought he'd spray the rock gaurd all the way up to the lower moulding. I told him to just do the rocker down. I don't really care for the lower 1/3 of the truck to have a texture look. What about you guys?

depends....is the rock guard the same color as the truck? if so it wouldn't look to bad. if its black i vote rocker down.

Dieselwrencher 02-10-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 5179510)

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie (Post 5180181)
depends....is the rock guard the same color as the truck? if so it wouldn't look to bad. if its black i vote rocker down.

It'll be the same color as the truck. I do plan on some nice mud flaps on it either way. I'm just not sure i'd like the rock gaurd that high. IDK

wutnxt 02-10-2012 10:25 PM

All paint guy's are the same they just look differnt.....lol.....no offence to those of you that paint...

For your aplication I think rock guard same color as the truck rockers down.......but thats just me.

71blksuper4x4 02-11-2012 10:05 AM

Ryan, what brand of rock guard is he using? I like that stuff on the new Toyotas and newer vehicles. I am wanting to find some good stuff to use. Thanks man, and good luck on the project. Trevor

FRENCHBLUE72 02-11-2012 12:21 PM

I would not run that rocker guard any higher than the rocker panels..

Dieselwrencher 02-13-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 5180966)
Ryan, what brand of rock guard is he using? I like that stuff on the new Toyotas and newer vehicles. I am wanting to find some good stuff to use. Thanks man, and good luck on the project. Trevor

I believe it is a SMC product, but I'll varify it. It is a finer grade, not real bulky and uggo. Maybe I'll have pics tomorrow for ya.

Dieselwrencher 02-13-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 5181217)
I would not run that rocker guard any higher than the rocker panels..

I don't think he did. I hope not, because that isn't what I wanted. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 02-13-2012 09:00 PM

Well, supposedly the cab and doors are orange. He wants me to pick it up in the morning, so we shall see.....................................................

wutnxt 02-13-2012 09:05 PM

Pictures tomorrow of the rock guard?.....that implies paint is on it ?.......Dude your making progress.

I got a call from the body shop today myself.....prostreet truck is being blocked....cough cough.....and the new floor and rockers are in cab # 2 and tomorrow they are starting on box # 2...cough cough....sureeeeeeeee they are.....lol

Dieselwrencher 02-13-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5186478)
Pictures tomorrow of the rock guard?.....that implies paint is on it ?.......Dude your making progress.

I got a call from the body shop today myself.....prostreet truck is being blocked....cough cough.....and the new floor and rockers are in cab # 2 and tomorrow they are starting on box # 2...cough cough....sureeeeeeeee they are.....lol

LMFAO! I hear you man! Yep, he said the pumpkin is orange. He told me he needs more paint too. He painted the inside/outside of the cab, fire wall, inside/outside of the doors, and the bottom of the hood. He told me he used my whole gallon on that! With the reducer and hardener, that's like a half a gallon of paint. I hope to hell it isn't a run factory! He told me the label called for 2 to 3 layers for good coverage. He said it didn't start looking good until 3, so he did a 4th to make sure. I don't care as long as it looks good! I'll buy more paint! :lol:

FRENCHBLUE72 02-13-2012 09:15 PM

Damn Im pretty sure I would have at least drove by there to see color at least and pee all over myself..