The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Dan in Pasadena 05-01-2013 08:59 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR25 (Post 6046311)
I am using the L6....

Very cool. If mine hadn't come with the 283 and camel hump heads I'd have left the 235 in it and dressed it out nicely. Something like this 250:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ixDetailed.jpg

If anything ever happens to my 283 I intend to rebuild it or replace it because I like the "retro" aspect the older, smaller engines give trucks.

G&R's57GMC 05-01-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6038639)
Had chores to do today so only very minor stuff got done. I guess every little bit helps, huh?

The mountain bike inner tube I'd put over my tailgate chains a couple weeks ago were bugging me - too loosely fitting. I thought it looked half-assed so I stopped off at the bike shop Friday an picked up a roadie bike tube from their trash. Fits nice and snug now. I put tire dressing on it to get rid of the talcum gray looks it came with:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psbcdb1716.jpg

Dan, Be sure to punch a hole at the bottom of the tube so water can drain out.

Looks good.

Dan in Pasadena 05-02-2013 12:08 AM

Thanks.

I don't know about "good" but it certainly looks better than the loose one did. (For some reason the old ones reminded me of those kids that wear their pants UNDER their ass cheeks,:lol:)

Yup, there's a rain hole. It's square made with scissors cause I don't own an old fashioned paper punch. Not sure how I'd only punch a hole through only ONE side anyway! lol.

fabguy 05-02-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6043425)
Thanks for the compliments JR.

As for your truck? I worried "life" would get in the way if I took mine all the way down to the frame immediately....and I don't have small kids anymore. I think you'll get there IF you can find a way to source some funds for it. Just little-by-little. Maybe your water bottles/soda can recycling dollars? Maybe X% from your yearly tax return? Maybe you set aside $20 a paycheck? (yes, hard to do when kids are little). But something; however small so you don't feel like you'll NEVER have a spare dollar to use on your truck.

Personally, I'd figure out THE most economical way to get it back running. Rebuild the 235 or find a used one on Craigslist. Wire wheel, Ospho & roll that frame and get on with it. Maybe start a thread just to keep you motivated?

Dan is absolutely right JR.
15 yrs ago when I 1st pulled mine down I used to spend between 50 - 100 dollars on parts whenever pomona swap meet was going and I was there. Over that time I had collected most of the parts I needed to finish mine like door handles, headlight bezels, tail lights, power brake booster, mirrors and arms, door relays, window & door seals etc. I used to save my change (coins) and use that for parts as we have 4 kids (aged 10-23 yrs old).
It sat for a long time while i worked in my shop and pushed it out of the way. Recently I have spent alot of $ but only because we had alot of change and aluminum cans :)
little by little is the best way, as for time to work on it I have spent alot of time on it recently mainly because my 10 yr old daughter has been pushing me hard at the fact that she wants too go cruizing to car shows in it and she helps me work on it sometimes. She personally wants a 55 chevy Belair for her 1st car. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

JR25 05-03-2013 09:34 PM

That gives me a GREAT idea! I need to load the family up and take them to a classic's show of some sort..........then maybe they would want me to spend more time trying to get 'er dun!
Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 05-04-2013 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a theme that you might consider, OR not ...

Dan in Pasadena 05-04-2013 01:07 AM

Oh, you mean military themed cause my truck is sorta/kinda Army drab? Hadn't thought of that but I wouldn't do it because I was never in the military. I'd feel like a phony.

Side note? I went to high school from '68-'72. For my Frosh thru Junior year I just assumed I'd get drafted and be going to Viet Nam. My lottery number was #49 so I KNEW I was screwed. I was classified 1A. Then Nixon put a hold on new draftees and I was reassigned 1H - for "Holding". I lucked out, but I was on edge for awhile there.

Dan in Pasadena 05-04-2013 11:51 PM

A bunch of errands took up the morning but managed to do a little. I've got four of these uglies to repair.

Tossed my first attempt as I'm trying to get a tighter fit. I finally just pulled the latch actuator so I could get my arm down inside the door to hold the blank directly against the hole. Since door has "waves" from the factory so you've gotta make sure the patch is "clocked" right or these waves will not look right afterward. Using a piece of cardboard you never know. Putting the patch directly on the inside ensures it's clocked right.

Ground paint off all around & on small screw holes.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psfcd83f53.jpg

Close up #1. So far, so good!
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psd7f21c22.jpg

Close up #2, NOT as good but it's gonna have to do:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps959127de.jpg

Kim57 05-05-2013 12:31 AM

Looks good.
Kim

SCHRUMGMC 05-05-2013 12:49 AM

What is with the Hole ?

Dan in Pasadena 05-05-2013 01:13 AM

It's a speaker hole the original owner cut into the door. Problem is there are two of them in EACH door! They're like 5" diameter too. Short of replacing the doors ($$$) there's no other way to address them. Unless I put speakers back in them - NOT. They looked amateurish....cause they are!

rgunlock 05-05-2013 01:52 PM

Hi Dan. As I mentioned in your other welding thread, I'm not that far ahead of you on this patch panel welding, but I do have a suggestion that has worked for me. On panels you can't really get behind for tracing. Cut out a patch that is a shape you desire, and large enough to cover both the speaker hole and why not, the screw holes as well. Lay it on the face of the door over the hole. Your wavy profile should lay right in. Trace around the edge of the patch itself onto the door. Then cut the door to fit your patch. I think you'll get a lot closer on the first cut and have less fitting to worry about.

Dan in Pasadena 05-05-2013 06:32 PM

Thanks Rick. That approach would make my patch bigger though, wouldn't it?
After thinking it over, I can try it and see how it works.
A square patch with straight sides WOULD be much easier than trying to make a custom, squiggly edged patch. I'll give it a shot and post the results!
Posted via Mobile Device

rgunlock 05-05-2013 06:50 PM

You wouldn't have to cut out much more of your door if your patch only slightly overlaps the existing hole. But I do think it would make matching the patch to the hole much easier. Besides, you already have a pretty large gaping hole anyway, right :lol:

Dan in Pasadena 05-05-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 6053892)
...Besides, you already have a pretty large gaping hole anyway, right :lol:

Ha ha, yeah. The only thing that WON'T fit in that hole right now is my entire head!

But seriously, I should be able to cut a square hole with straight sides much much easier than the way I've been trying to do it.

I'm wondering if I can cut my patch on my tablesaw if I put a metal cutting blade on it? Much straighter, cleaner cut & easier than by hand using my angle grinder!
Posted via Mobile Device

Baldeagle SR 05-05-2013 08:37 PM

Dan I use a saw zaw it works good for cutting , Just brace your metal in a vice or use vice grips to hold it . Rich

rgunlock 05-05-2013 10:07 PM

I don't think I'd use the table saw. I've had pretty good luck using a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, but as Baldeagle said, be sure you brace the metal you are cutting firmly. Otherwise, it will try to bounce around and makes it tough to keep a straight cut going.

Dan in Pasadena 05-05-2013 10:29 PM

I've been planning to cut the "blank" out of the spare door using the angle grinder - but it is hard (for me) to get a true straight line. Which is why I mentioned using the table saw - to "square up" the blank prior to placing it over the hole for tracing.

Then there's cutting the hole out of the door after I've traced it. In my experience, a Sawzall or a jig saw will be hard to control on the wavy metal the doors have. I can try it but I've got minimal metal to spare here and still three blanks to make.

SCHRUMGMC 05-05-2013 11:18 PM

I've seen people cut the Panels half Assed, and it really makes me mad..My Ocd goes insane

Kim57 05-06-2013 12:42 AM

I use a cheap delta table saw with a metal cutting wheel all the time for cutting sheet metal. You just have to go slow and let the saw do the work.
Kim

SCHRUMGMC 05-06-2013 12:47 AM

In a perfect world, the Metal would cut itself the Perfect way by itself :lol:

Dan in Pasadena 05-06-2013 01:19 AM

I'm not a good enough welder to be able to get away with half-assed fitting patch panels. GOTTA be well fitting or I'm gonna blow holes. Hell, I may blow holes anyway!

I'm feeling a little case of "anal glaucoma" coming on (I can't see my ass going to work tomorrow!) so I may have photos to share tomorrow!

Dan in Pasadena 05-07-2013 11:14 PM

I know this is old hat for most of you but it's my first time attempting patch fabrication and weld repair. So I've been cutting, fitting, grinding, & cussing the last few days. I've got all four patches to this level of fit:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psbbbe4286.jpg

Each patch needs some touching up along the edges for final welding. I'm not sure if that'll happen tomorrow or have to wait for the weekend.

I DID go out and get some of those sheet metal clamp things but they leave a .040" gap around their perimeter and someone(?) told me the rule of thumb is the gap shouldn't be bigger than your wire - .023" in this case. So I think I'm just going to use the magnets shown in the photo.

Any/all opinions appreciated.

Dan in Pasadena 05-07-2013 11:18 PM

PS: A big thanks to "rgunlock" (Rick) for his advice to cut the patch first and match it to a square hole. It was MUCH easier than trying to make 4 wavy round patches.

Plus, I'm such a bonehead. I cut 2-1/2 of the patches before my jig saw blade broke. Went and bought a much finer blade and the rest of the cutting was butter.

Kim57 05-08-2013 12:08 AM

The patch looks good.
Kim

Daze57 05-08-2013 01:25 AM

x 2 ^

SCHRUMGMC 05-08-2013 01:28 AM

X3 !

rgunlock 05-08-2013 07:18 AM

Hot diggity!!! That may well have been my 1st actual useful post then:lol:
That patch does look like it fits very well.

indynick 05-08-2013 07:57 AM

Coming along nicely

Dan in Pasadena 05-08-2013 10:54 AM

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Like I said before, it feels like Chinese water torture...one drip of work at a time...

I WILL get rid of all the rust, the feels like hundreds o miscellaneous holes drilled in it over the years, but there are SO many small areas to be dealt with!

Indian113 05-08-2013 11:03 AM

Looking Good Dan, like they say if you have to eat a elephant do it one bite at a time!

Dan in Pasadena 05-08-2013 11:08 AM

Yes and I have to remember the rust has been "eating" my truck for almost 60 years. So I can't undo all that in an afternoon... but I WANT to! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indian113 05-08-2013 11:13 AM

I'm going to do a frame off on the 64 next winter so I may have to lean on some of your experience's. I'm so glad this forum is just like a great big family!

Dan in Pasadena 05-08-2013 12:32 PM

You're right, Indian...most of the time. I always say we're "friends that haven't met yet"
Posted via Mobile Device

Kabwe 05-08-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6059261)
You're right, Indian...most of the time. I always say we're "friends that haven't met yet"
Posted via Mobile Device

For the most part.lol

Dan in Pasadena 05-08-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6059334)
For the most part.lol

Bam,

You & I might end up being brothers from differnt mothers cause we already bust each other's ball and have never even met!:lol:

But eriously, I look forward to talking to some of you guys almost daily and when one of you says, "Hey, good job" it feels good. (I must be pathetically insecure, ha ha!)

dubie 05-08-2013 02:02 PM

you know Dan, I took a look back at the beginning of this thread when you picked up your truck and then look at where you're at now with this project. I just wanted to commend you on doing so much in such a short amount of time. It doesn't even look like the same truck.

Forums such as this is what drives people to keep working on their trucks. When I did the build up on my 72 back in the early 2000's, there were people helping me out from around the globe with technically information. There were a bunch of us that met up in Indianapolis for the Super Chevy Nationals back in 2004. We all stayed at the same hotel, ate at the same places, tail gate partied every night, raced go-karts and made a bunch of life long friendships. And it all came from this forum.

Dan in Pasadena 05-08-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6059402)
you know Dan, I took a look back at the beginning of this thread when you picked up your truck and then look at where you're at now with this project. I just wanted to commend you on doing so much in such a short amount of time. It doesn't even look like the same truck.

Thanks Dubie. It feels glacially slow to me because when I look back I see the 9-12 months in the middle when I did NOTHING. Not sure why but I got side tracked. Getting the welding work underway along with some plans I've got for the seat belts, dual master cylinder & gas tank relocation this summer have me excited.

Quote:

Forums such as this is what drives people to keep working on their trucks.

You're right in my case. Seeing the progress others are making on much harder builds reminds me I don't have so much to do...relatively speaking.

Quote:

... There were a bunch of us that met up in Indianapolis for the Super Chevy Nationals ....and made a bunch of life long friendships. And it all came from this forum.

That's very cool. I may never meet the East or Midwest guys but someday I look forward to having the chance to meet more California and Southwest guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 05-08-2013 06:36 PM

yo dan if ya ever make it to vegas ---------

Dan in Pasadena 05-09-2013 07:32 PM

I did final fitting/welding/grinding on the passenger side speaker holes today:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps6bac2a56.jpg
Not great after having seen some of the work you guys do but I am proud to say I id it myself. I'll get better as I go along, I'm sure of it.

I threw some primer on it just to keep it from flash rusting until I get back to it as it started raining this afternoon.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps9201f9e5.jpg

QUESTION:

Do most of you guys and girls weld all the spots, then grind everything smooth? Or do you put in a few tacks, grind, tack some more, etc?

I ground them all at the end and thought I got too much heat built up. In this case, I could NOT reach behind to hammer & dolly as I went.