The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

ol_skool_chevy 10-11-2014 08:32 AM

Re: pdx-sanity66

I'm trying a 1976 column. I want to utilize the tilt, locking steering and column key. I will fill the stock key location with a accessory lighter for charging a phone or I might adopt a stock looking switch to run my trans fan...
I have not seen anyone here use a 73-78 colunm in our trucks...there might be a good reason for that.....LOL

pdxhall 10-14-2014 05:43 AM

I could have probably fabricated a whole new mount for the column and emergency brake in the time it has taken me to adapt the old one to make it work, but I think I've finally have something that I can live with. I am still utilizing the original mount and the Camaro mount that came with the column but they are both highly modified at this point and there's still more to do. I think it's going to work out great though and still retain a clean look. I have the column and mounts all buttoned up under the dash now in the position it needs to be and the steering wheel will be much closer to the dash leaving a lot more room for my large size. I ran out of time last weekend to do anymore but this weekend I will attach the 2 mount with a few spot welds to hold it in the position it's in now and then I'll remove the assembly for final fabrication and joining of the assembly. I'll get more pics up in a couple of days to show where this is going. I think I've had the column and mounts off and on the truck a dozen or more times cutting and fitting, measuring and cutting, etc., etc, etc.

Modges'66 10-14-2014 10:04 PM

Just sayin, you can check out my mods for a newer column back on page 20 of my thread to see how I did it, but I just went back to look at it myself, and the pics are huge!
I have no idea why they are so big, they weren't that way when I posted them originally!

pdxhall 10-15-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6879497)
Just sayin, you can check out my mods for a newer column back on page 20 of my thread to see how I did it, but I just went back to look at it myself, and the pics are huge!
I have no idea why they are so big, they weren't that way when I posted them originally!

Those are some big pics!:lol: That is almost exactly how I started to do mine and the mount you used is the same as mine, and then I had this bright idea that I wanted to push the column back to give myself more belly room. I am still using the same mount but I am now joining the old mount to the new mount since it is much further back at about the spot that I see you cut out of the original mount. :metal:

Modges'66 10-15-2014 10:35 PM

I was just hoping that the pics could be of some help, or maybe shed a little insight.
Did you notice that I made an extension bracket to move the switches down the column to get them out of the way?
Just tryin to help out!

pdxhall 10-16-2014 06:51 PM

Modge, thanks for the pics. Yes, they were a lot of help. I didn't know if I was on the right track with this or not. It was good to see you had a very similar approach. I have been following you build for a while now and I wish I had the fabrication skills you do. I don't know how I missed the steering column work before. I did notice how you have moved the switches and I have been looking at that today to see it I will have to. I have the two brackets partially welded together and I was just digging out the switches to check.

Modges'66 10-16-2014 08:02 PM

Hey!
It makes me feel great to help out!
If you need any better views of anything, I can shoot some pics for you the next time that I am there, & post them for you!

pdxhall 10-17-2014 05:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6881799)
Hey!
It makes me feel great to help out!
If you need any better views of anything, I can shoot some pics for you the next time that I am there, & post them for you!

Thanks, man. I made some great progress today. It turned out better than I could have expected.
After much cutting and hacking and taking the column off and on more times than I could count, I got everything lined up in a workable spot (pics 1 and 2)This brings the wheel much closer to the dash, giving me much needed room (pic 3).
I then put a few quick spot welds where I could to hold the two brackets together so I could remove them and fill in the gaps (pic 4).
I then proceeded to cut and patch until I had everything sturdy and looking acceptable (pic 5).
continued......

pdxhall 10-17-2014 05:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The next 2 pics are the patch to fill in the hole left by removing the clutch bump stop and to build the support bracket joining the brackets on the left side.
Next I made a curved piece to support the right side of mounts together. This gives a little more room for the stop light switch.
One more small rectangular support for the right side.
The last pic is the completed bracket ready to clean up a little more and paint.
For something most will never see or notice, I like how it turned out.

bj383ss 10-17-2014 08:10 AM

Great job PDX. A nice custom touch!

Bret

ol_skool_chevy 10-17-2014 08:39 AM

Very nice work...........I wish i had that much patients to cut fit weld cut again fit weld...LOL..

pdxhall 10-20-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6882335)
Great job PDX. A nice custom touch!

Bret

Thanks Bret.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy (Post 6882352)
Very nice work...........I wish i had that much patients to cut fit weld cut again fit weld...LOL..

I'll tell ya, after the 10th or 20th time I installed and removed the column to make it all fit, I had pretty much used up all the patience I had. :lol::lol:

I also got the rest of the 3/8" SS hard line from the tank to the fuel pump bent and installed and clamped in to place. All I need now is to fit the Aeroquip -6an line from the rear fuel filter to the tank, from the SS line to the pump in the front, and from the pump to the carb filter and th fuel lines will be done. I've got the material and fittings, hopefully next weekend I'll be done with it.

I also went ahead and bought the American Autowire Classic Update complete wiring set from Summit and it arrived 2 days later, as usual. The delivery service from them is fantastic. :metal:

I also bought a set of bed steps from a member in the "parts for sale" section and they arrived too. I've got an idea for them. I'd like to modify them so as to use them for the exhaust to exit the truck.
What I'd like to know is if anybody has done it or knows somebody on the board that has?

pdxhall 10-30-2014 10:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I decided it was time to finish up the fuel tank installation since I've now got the fuel line plumbed to there and I'm getting real tired of moving the tank around every time I need to do something. It seems like it's always in the way.
Part of my reason for procrastination on this is I have been looking for a suitable rubber strip to pad the tank from the frame and mounts. I'm just trying to eliminate metal on metal rubbing and possible squeaks from developing. I finally found something that I thought would have to do but it still wasn't quite as thick as I was envisioning so I procrastinated longer. I also planned to make some steel mounts with bolts welded to them for ease of assembly and disassembly if ever needed. Well, the other day I was in my favorite and best around hardware store Parkrose Hardware. These guys have the best selection of fasteners I've ever seen. I have yet to go there and not be able to find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I was in there looking for some rubber padding for a home project I was working on and I had looked all over the area with seals and weather stripping and stuff and had no luck. Parkrose Hardware is also a very dog friendly store so my dog, Spike gets to go along with me and gets a dog treat at the service desk at the back of the store.
When we got back there he spotted one of the guys that works there and always makes a fuss over him when we see him. Spike ran over to him and I happened to look down and on a shelf was all this different sized rubber mat for sale. It is exactly what I was looking for to do both projects. Sometimes you run in to what you need in the craziest ways. Spike was the hero.
:thumbs:
So here's the end result. All the mounts made, pads cut and fitted, holes drilled, and everything test fitted one more time before tearing it all apart for paint.
I also made a mount out of a piece of aluminum for the fuel filter to make it easier to remove if I ever need to remove the whole filter housing.

duallyjams 10-31-2014 08:24 PM

That's a 16 gallon tank ? got a pic of the front with the sending unit with the panhard bar.

pdxhall 11-01-2014 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6899423)
That's a 16 gallon tank ? got a pic of the front with the sending unit with the panhard bar.

Hey Jim, Yes it's a 16 gal tank. Sorry but I don't have a picture of that. I just ordered the sending unit so it hasn't been installed yet. I can't take another picture because I took the tank back off to prep for painting today. I did go out and got a rough measurement based on the mounting holes for the tank in relation to the panhard bar and there is about 10 to 12 inches of space between the panhard bar and the opening for the sending unit. I'll have more pictures when I assemble again.

pdxhall 11-03-2014 12:09 AM

I got the tank taken back off and I cleaned up all of the holes I drilled. and started prepping the tank and mounts for painting. I am also going to put another coat of extreme chassis black on the rear frame rails where the tank mounts. They've got kind of beat up during fitting the tank and I also want to cover the bare metal on the new holes I drilled. I also have several parts together that need to be bead blasted and prepped for paint from the tilt column and I got a great deal on a NOS bearing/tilt gear kit on ebay for $10 shipped.
I also got the hole cut in the trans hump for my Lokar shifter. I am using a rectangular boot so I cut a 4"x5 1/4" hole which gives me 2 options for mounting the shifter. I'll post up a picture when I get time.
Next up will be
1) get the gas tank and parts painted and reassembled and new sending unit and fuel line from the filter to the tank installed.
2) overhaul the steering column
3) get the intermediate steering shaft measured, lengthened, and installed
4) seam seal the interior panels

pdxhall 11-03-2014 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more thing, here are the side steps I got recently. I want to use them for exiting the exhaust on Sanity. Has anybody done this or know of somebody that has?

duallyjams 11-03-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6901746)
One more thing, here are the side steps I got recently. I want to use them for exiting the exhaust on Sanity. Has anybody done this or know of somebody that has?

That's a cool idea, looking forward to see how you do it.

theastronaut 11-03-2014 07:20 PM

Can't wait to see the exhaust/steps come together!

Average Joe 11-03-2014 11:40 PM

What he said ^

siggyfreud 11-04-2014 05:14 PM

Tank looks great!

When I installed mine I went ahead and welded the retaining nuts that hold the tank in to the frame, that way I wouldn't have to do the wrench/ratchet combo to remove the tank, I could just drop it from under the truck via a ratchet. But mine also mounts to the bottom frame rail, so no sure how you'd get a ratchet inside the top frame rail if the tank is too thick. Either way I'm sure you have it all worked out!

ol_skool_chevy 11-04-2014 05:47 PM

I was thinking about the side holes for exhaust but I might be pretty loud..

pdxhall 11-05-2014 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy (Post 6903789)
I was thinking about the side holes for exhaust but I might be pretty loud..

Loud? I'm building a hot rod here, not a family sedan. :lol::lol:

pdxhall 11-05-2014 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6903756)
Tank looks great!

When I installed mine I went ahead and welded the retaining nuts that hold the tank in to the frame, that way I wouldn't have to do the wrench/ratchet combo to remove the tank, I could just drop it from under the truck via a ratchet. But mine also mounts to the bottom frame rail, so no sure how you'd get a ratchet inside the top frame rail if the tank is too thick. Either way I'm sure you have it all worked out!

With the tank bolted to the inside of the top rail, I have the 2 brackets about 2 ft. or so long with the 4 bolts welded to each of those with the rubber cusions in between the frame and tank, and in between the tank and the brackets. I can just slide the assembly in, raise it up till the bolts come through the frame rails and then just add washers and a nuts. To take the tank out, I just take the nuts off, remove the rear brace, lower the tank and slide it out the back. It works real slick.

pdxhall 11-09-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6902509)
That's a cool idea, looking forward to see how you do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 6902537)
Can't wait to see the exhaust/steps come together!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 6902919)
What he said ^

Thanks you guys, it might be a while before I actually make it happen but if what I'm seeing in my head transfers well into reality it should be cool.

I had a bunch of stuff going on this weekend in preparation for retirement at the end of the year so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. I did get some parts for the steering column and fuel tank bead blasted and epoxy primered and the tank itself sanded and epoxyed. and I ordered the paint for the tank and also the fuel sender. I should be able to get it back together next weekend.
I disassembled the steering column to the point I could inspect it, clean it up a bit, and replace the bearings. Everything looks very good so it won't need to be completely torn down. I also tore apart the original 3 speed column to get the firewall plate and the steering shaft off. I think I will be able to cut the shaft to length and connect it to the column with a u-joint. More to come on this one.
Now it's back to work for 3 12 hour shifts and then back at it. :metal:

duallyjams 11-10-2014 07:11 PM

Congrats on your retirement and to your new endeavour as a full time truck builder.

pdxhall 11-12-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6913298)
Congrats on your retirement and to your new endeavour as a full time truck builder.

Thanks, man. I'll only be a full time builder for a couple of months after the
1st of the year, then we're going to be traveling around North America for a while seeing and doing all the things we have planned and some we haven't. This has been our dream long before I got the truck so even though it will be difficult to leave Sanity, she will go into storage for a bit. But when we get back I'll be a full timer and maybe pick up something else to mess around with.

duallyjams 11-12-2014 08:47 PM

Every trip that the we go on my lovely bride has the same comment sooooooo there just happen to be a car show the same time that we are here :clap:

Modges'66 11-12-2014 10:09 PM

Wow!
The column support & the tank mounting look great!
Also, it is pretty great that you are so close to retirement...Unless something major changes, I won't even be able to think about it for another 20 years or so! Congrats!

66Z71 11-13-2014 12:44 AM

Love the exhaust idea.

pdxhall 11-15-2014 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6915926)
Every trip that the we go on my lovely bride has the same comment sooooooo there just happen to be a car show the same time that we are here :clap:

That's one thing that's on the bucket list. Get in some shows in different parts of the country along with many other things. Believe me, we've got plenty to keep us busy for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6916051)
Wow!
The column support & the tank mounting look great!
Also, it is pretty great that you are so close to retirement...Unless something major changes, I won't even be able to think about it for another 20 years or so! Congrats!

Thanks. I really appreciate that because I'm a real fan of your work.
As far as the retirement. Hang in there, it goes faster than you would think. Enjoy your youth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Z71 (Post 6916243)
Love the exhaust idea.

Thanks. I hope it works out the way I want it to.

Modges'66 11-15-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6918739)
Thanks. I really appreciate that because I'm a real fan of your work.
As far as the retirement. Hang in there, it goes faster than you would think. Enjoy your youth.

Ha-Ha!
Funny, but I am not as young as you probably think that I am!
I have a 25 year old son who just took a job as a graphic designer in Portland a few months ago...50 is 50, no matter how you stack it!

TJ's Chevy 11-17-2014 12:28 AM

Progress! :metal::metal::metal:

pdxhall 11-17-2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6919265)
Ha-Ha!
Funny, but I am not as young as you probably think that I am!
I have a 25 year old son who just took a job as a graphic designer in Portland a few months ago...50 is 50, no matter how you stack it!

AAHH, to be 50 again! Actually I would have guessed in the 40s. I've still got some years on you but you're catching up. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 6920920)
Progress! :metal::metal::metal:

Yeah, things have been moving along pretty well but this cold weather is slowing me down a bit. I had to crank up the heaters in the garage this last weekend so I could get some painting done.
As soon as I get the paint for the tank and get it sprayed, it will be ready for final install in the frame, install the sender, and make up the fuel line from the filter to the tank. I repainted the rear frame rails where the tank sits and painted the brackets. I also got the bracket for the steering column painted and a few coats of primer on the emergency brake handle.
I also started fabbing up the steering intermediate shaft and started disassembly of the column to install new bearings and clean things up a bit.

pdxhall 12-09-2014 10:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I managed to screw around and found my thread on page 4 which means :wop:
I've been working on Sanity when I can but I haven't updated in awhile.
Here's a few pics just to show I haven't been a total slacker
I've been waiting to get my fuel tank painted so in the meantime I have been smoothing up the kick panels a little bit before starting on seam sealing. They're almost there. I also got the hole cut for my floor shifter.
I've also been working on rebuilding my tilt column. I am changing the upper and lower bearings and I tightened the lower column bolts with some Loctite.
I was glad I tore it down even though it felt fine and was tight because the bearings were worn and the bolts were starting to loosen. Everything is cleaned up, greased where needed, and in the process of reassembly and then paint. I've also got new tilt and turn signal levers and a new flasher switch to go on.
And last but not least, Santa sent an early Christmas present.

Twisted78SS 12-09-2014 11:15 AM

Nice!
got a column i want to tackle one of these days, sounds like it needs about the same treatment.. thanks for the reminder.

Oregon 1967 GMC 12-10-2014 12:26 AM

ok, I'm all caught up and a couple questions: I take it you got your motor from Summit? And the tranny from? Just curious because I'm going to switch out my 6 Cylinder and might need more than my turbo 350. I'm sure you checked around and I value your judgment and like your vision. I plan on driving down to San Diego in a couple of weeks to spend Christmas with Mom and Bro's and might stop by CPP and pickup a truck load of disc brakes, spindles, and suspension stuff. Keep up the fire!

pdxhall 12-10-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted78SS (Post 6950651)
Nice!
got a column i want to tackle one of these days, sounds like it needs about the same treatment.. thanks for the reminder.

Thanks, man. It's really kind of a fun job and not very tough. I found a pdf file online that is fantastic resource if you haven't done them before. I think it's from the Jalopy Journal. The guy was doing a Fiero ( I think ) column and it was a little newer the one I'm doing but those GM tilts are almost the same inside for many years. It's got great pictures and instructions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 6951727)
ok, I'm all caught up and a couple questions: I take it you got your motor from Summit? And the tranny from? Just curious because I'm going to switch out my 6 Cylinder and might need more than my turbo 350. I'm sure you checked around and I value your judgment and like your vision. I plan on driving down to San Diego in a couple of weeks to spend Christmas with Mom and Bro's and might stop by CPP and pickup a truck load of disc brakes, spindles, and suspension stuff. Keep up the fire!

Yes, the motor came from Summit. They had the best deal and I shopped around a lot before pulling the plug. I got my transmission rebuilt at Transmission Exchange here in Portland. They've been around forever and they were very helpful in helping set up a good heavy duty unit. They are located right on the east side of the river just a couple of blocks north of the Broadway bridge on MLK Blvd. Good luck on the shopping trip and enjoy the Holidays.

TJ's Chevy 12-10-2014 10:34 PM

Looks good man! Congrats on the present. :metal:

Oregon 1967 GMC 12-12-2014 12:20 AM

awesome, thanks "B"