The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Shiro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608085)

mcbassin 12-03-2014 09:50 AM

Re: Project: Shiro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6942556)
I know I have cab corners, the area where the floor, inner, and outer rockers meet, outer rockers, and finally at least one lower kick panel to fix. If you go back through the pics I posted (posts 169 and 170) of the rust and the pics below you can see what I'm up against.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you on the rust repair. Are you planning on removing all the undercoating and blasting the whole cab? You probably won't really know how bad the rust is until you get it to bare metal.

You're probably well aware of the poor quality and fitment of foreign patches and rockers. You have to cut and fit almost all of them to get a nice seam at your doors. I had really good luck with Tabco made in USA cab corners. They fit great and are made of good quality steel. I bought them back in the early 2000s so I don't know how the modern versions are as far as fit.
My rockers and kick panels came from Tri plus. The rockers needed a lot of love and the kick panels were terrible, especially the passenger side. I ended up sawing up to get it to fit. I haven't used any of their pieces yet but I have heard good things about AMD panels.
From my experience, you have to custom fit about all the patches. I recommend being patient and taking your time. Good luck!

nlped 12-03-2014 10:23 AM

I've heard really good things about Southern Kentucky Classics

C10_ustacould 12-03-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6942866)
Looks like you have your work cut out for you on the rust repair. Are you planning on removing all the undercoating and blasting the whole cab? You probably won't really know how bad the rust is until you get it to bare metal.

You're probably well aware of the poor quality and fitment of foreign patches and rockers. You have to cut and fit almost all of them to get a nice seam at your doors. I had really good luck with Tabco made in USA cab corners. They fit great and are made of good quality steel. I bought them back in the early 2000s so I don't know how the modern versions are as far as fit.
My rockers and kick panels came from Tri plus. The rockers needed a lot of love and the kick panels were terrible, especially the passenger side. I ended up sawing up to get it to fit. I haven't used any of their pieces yet but I have heard good things about AMD panels.
From my experience, you have to custom fit about all the patches. I recommend being patient and taking your time. Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6942898)
I've heard really good things about Southern Kentucky Classics

I have a set of NOS outter rockers and a set of TriPlus cab corners I got from AMD. I need to order the rest but I'm not sure how far I need to go into the floor on each side. The floor is pitted on bothsides between the toe board and were it kicks up at the seat mount and the passenger side cab mount whole is cracked/torn. What do you think is a good plan for replacement? Should I cut it all out and go back with the new or do it in stages?

duallyjams 12-03-2014 06:07 PM

check out this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564201 there is a lot of great info on doing metal work

lolife99 12-03-2014 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BucK, I assumed you got this version of the rear coilover dropmember?
Why such a small rear notch?

C10_ustacould 12-03-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6943600)
BucK, I assumed you got this version of the rear coilover dropmember?
Why such a small rear notch?

LOL, I should have, it's too late now! I went with the mild drop because I don't want to deal with cutting or raising the bed floor. I thought I was getting outboard mounted coilovers but after looking at some of my parts I don't think that is the case. Matters not, I am going to press on and get this thing done because crawdadfox threw down the challenge... Cruisin' the Coast 2015!

C10_ustacould 12-03-2014 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I didn't really get anything done to the truck tonight but I did make progress. The I6 is GONE!! Thanks to Track70's Dad for giving it a second chance! So with that gone I was able to get the cab stowed in the garage so my queen can park her inside... Happy wife, happy life. ;) I also received my CPP Big Brake kit from Tommy at TnT-MotorSports (ksbrktracer).

Attachment 1332402

Attachment 1332403

So maybe tomorrow night I can get at that notch.:ito:

mcbassin 12-04-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6943132)
I have a set of NOS outter rockers and a set of TriPlus cab corners I got from AMD. I need to order the rest but I'm not sure how far I need to go into the floor on each side. The floor is pitted on bothsides between the toe board and were it kicks up at the seat mount and the passenger side cab mount whole is cracked/torn. What do you think is a good plan for replacement? Should I cut it all out and go back with the new or do it in stages?

Personally, I prefer to keep as much Gm metal as possible. Your best bet might be to just use patches. The whole floor is nice but it's pretty big deal to drill all the spot welds.

1980c-10 mybaby 12-04-2014 12:57 AM

if your looking to sell your old trailing arms let me know... my 69 suburban trailing arms are done. one just snapped in half from all the rust :(

im hoping they are the same length if you are looking to sell them

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6943861)
Personally, I prefer to keep as much Gm metal as possible. Your best bet might be to just use patches. The whole floor is nice but it's pretty big deal to drill all the spot welds.

I'm going to buy replacement floor panel sections for both the driver and passenger side, the outer extensions (inner rocker), and the foot-well panels (kick panels). When I have my Porterbuilt parts installed and my chassis back together I will put the cab back on the frame with new bushing, torque it down, and do my rust repair. My plan is to start by removing the rockers (inner/outer) and then the floor section. After that I will work my way back out to the outer rocker with my new panels. Make sense? Or should I cut out sections, replacing only the damaged areas and not necessarily the entire panel?

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1980c-10 mybaby (Post 6943882)
if your looking to sell your old trailing arms let me know... my 69 suburban trailing arms are done. one just snapped in half from all the rust :(

im hoping they are the same length if you are looking to sell them

I will inspect them and let you know what condition they are in, no cracks etc. The shipping may be a little steep. If I do sell them I will list them in the classified section offering you first refusal on them, sound fair?

mcbassin 12-04-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6944133)
I'm going to buy replacement floor panel sections for both the driver and passenger side, the outer extensions (inner rocker), and the foot-well panels (kick panels). When I have my Porterbuilt parts installed and my chassis back together I will put the cab back on the frame with new bushing, torque it down, and do my rust repair. My plan is to start by removing the rockers (inner/outer) and then the floor section. After that I will work my way back out to the outer rocker with my new panels. Make sense? Or should I cut out sections, replacing only the damaged areas and not necessarily the entire panel?

The plan you have mapped out is probably the best option in my opinion. I like the idea of doing the repairs on the frame with it level and mounted solid. Before you start any cutting of spot welds, I would recommend rebuilding your door hinges (with GM pins and bushing) then mount your doors and adjust your gaps as close as you can.

Also, I would tack weld in some braces in the door opening before you even cut anything loose. On mine I just took a bunch of measurements and it worked out okay. I also have a few extra cabs laying around that I can measure for reference, which is handy.

In hindsight, I would have spent more time fitting my doors. I had a few issues with the rockers and the door gaps that really should have been addressed before I finished bodywork. I ended up adjusting my passenger side door up after the truck was assembled. What a pain! I didn't even know the door was hitting the rocker until it started scuffing the clear coat.
For reference HERE is where I tried to fit up my driver side door for the final time. For the record, I also only used GM panels, no aftermarket stuff. This tells us back in the day GM had pretty loose tolerance for fit up of our trucks.
I fit the passenger side too, I just didn't notice the door was contacting the rocker until it was shiny :(

Sorry for the novel but just know this, I learned a ton about what not to do. I will help you any way I can when you go to making sparks. :chevy:

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6944222)
The plan you have mapped out is probably the best option in my opinion. I like the idea of doing the repairs on the frame with it level and mounted solid. Before you start any cutting of spot welds, I would recommend rebuilding your door hinges (with GM pins and bushing) then mount your doors and adjust your gaps as close as you can.

Also, I would tack weld in some braces in the door opening before you even cut anything loose. On mine I just took a bunch of measurements and it worked out okay. I also have a few extra cabs laying around that I can measure for reference, which is handy.

In hindsight, I would have spent more time fitting my doors. I had a few issues with the rockers and the door gaps that really should have been addressed before I finished bodywork. I ended up adjusting my passenger side door up after the truck was assembled. What a pain! I didn't even know the door was hitting the rocker until it started scuffing the clear coat.
For reference HERE is where I tried to fit up my driver side door for the final time. For the record, I also only used GM panels, no aftermarket stuff. This tells us back in the day GM had pretty loose tolerance for fit up of our trucks.
I fit the passenger side too, I just didn't notice the door was contacting the rocker until it was shiny :(

Sorry for the novel but just know this, I learned a ton about what not to do. I will help you any way I can when you go to making sparks. :chevy:

Mike, as I have said before I am going to rely on your experience so you can write as much as you care to! Thanks for taking the time!

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got taken in by the cyber Monday hype... ;)

Attachment 1332528

Attachment 1332529

lolife99 12-04-2014 01:44 PM

Sweet^^^

mcbassin 12-04-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6944307)
Sweet^^^

X2!
Very nice :metal:

1980c-10 mybaby 12-04-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6944152)
I will inspect them and let you know what condition they are in, no cracks etc. The shipping may be a little steep. If I do sell them I will list them in the classified section offering you first refusal on them, sound fair?

its only about a 5 hr drive from where im located at. but yes let me know how they look. im not in a rush honestly the burban sits for months at a time anyways lol

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1980c-10 mybaby (Post 6944335)
its only about a 5 hr drive from where im located at. but yes let me know how they look. im not in a rush honestly the burban sits for months at a time anyways lol

I'll let you know.

GAc10boy 12-04-2014 03:34 PM

Wow those are beautiful! Some of my favorite wheels! Expected arrival date?

nlped 12-04-2014 04:03 PM

I dig the wheels!

Bennett68C10 12-04-2014 04:36 PM

Nice looking wheels

smbrouss70 12-04-2014 07:49 PM

I love those wheels! What sizes? Are you gonna use up all that room in those bed tubs? ;)

68basket 12-04-2014 08:09 PM

Love those wheels, I thought you already purchased some for this project though

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6944307)
Sweet^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6944308)
X2!
Very nice :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAc10boy (Post 6944386)
Wow those are beautiful! Some of my favorite wheels! Expected arrival date?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6944416)
I dig the wheels!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6944436)
Nice looking wheels

Thanks guys I REALLY like these, so I had to go for it.:metal:
They should be here in time for Christmas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68basket (Post 6944666)
Love those wheels, I thought you already purchased some for this project though

I do, but I changed my mind! :devil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 6944625)
I love those wheels! What sizes? Are you gonna use up all that room in those bed tubs? ;)

20x8.5 (5.25" bs) and 20x10 (6.0" bs). The tubs could house a little more but not much so I didn't see a reason to push it and cause myself any issues.;)

nlped 12-04-2014 08:23 PM

What are you going to do with the current wheels? :)

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6944698)
What are you going to do with the current wheels? :)

They are for sale, just haven't listed them yet.

slowcpe 12-04-2014 09:41 PM

Nice choice on the wheels!

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 11:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Worked on the notch for a little bit tonight...

Rear bridge removed.
Attachment 1332731

Passenger side notch partially installed.
Attachment 1332732

nlped 12-04-2014 11:06 PM

All those holes are crazy fun to drill out, HUH? :lol:

C10_ustacould 12-04-2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6944944)
All those holes are crazy fun to drill out, HUH? :lol:

Oh yea!! Gonna have to pick up a few 7/16 drill bits and some of what we call "Duck Butter" to keep them sharp.

Bowtie468 12-05-2014 12:07 AM

Oh yeah , those wheels are Sweeeet !

BB72CHEVKT 12-05-2014 12:05 PM

I never wanted to say anything about the old wheels but always thought something else would look better. I think the new wheels will look great with the white paint.

ksbrktracer 12-05-2014 12:56 PM

Good to see everything showed up and it looks like you are making some good progress . New Wheels are gonna look good as well .. !

Malamute 12-05-2014 01:17 PM

I like the wheels, they will look good on that truck.

SeTx67 12-05-2014 10:27 PM

Nice progress Buck. All the porterbuilt is making me have bad thoughts :lol:. I like the new wheel choice also :metal:

C10_ustacould 12-07-2014 03:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtie468 (Post 6945055)
Oh yeah , those wheels are Sweeeet !

Thanks Chris!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 6945488)
I never wanted to say anything about the old wheels but always thought something else would look better. I think the new wheels will look great with the white paint.

I like them too, but I like the Dagger Gs the more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbrktracer (Post 6945541)
Good to see everything showed up and it looks like you are making some good progress . New Wheels are gonna look good as well .. !

Thanks for the hookup on the brakes Tommy, everything looks great so far. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malamute (Post 6945566)
I like the wheels, they will look good on that truck.

Thanks Dan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeTx67 (Post 6946201)
Nice progress Buck. All the porterbuilt is making me have bad thoughts :lol:. I like the new wheel choice also :metal:

Maintain brutha... maintain.;)

Progress for today was HUGE, and I am beat so I'm not sure how much will get done tomorrow. I may have to take another health day.;) Just two more crossmembers to go and the frame mods will be pretty much done and we will be on to mocking up the suspension components.:metal:

Anyway, I was able to get the front crossmember mocked up. Thanks to Nate Porter for a customer service call to help me find and figure out some hardware, these things take a ton of bolts! :lol:
Attachment 1333526

Also got the trailing arm crossmember installed...
Attachment 1333527

Attachment 1333528

...as well as the rearmost tubular crossmember.
Attachment 1333529

Here's what it looks like at this point.
Attachment 1333530

lolife99 12-07-2014 08:27 AM

Its going to be so nice.
You are doing it the best way.
Mock up everything!
Brake lines, fuel lines, steering, etc.
Then blow part for paint.
No surprises later.

67c10rustbuket 12-07-2014 09:41 AM

Great build! I will be watching.

nlped 12-07-2014 11:27 AM

Looks like you & I made the same mistake... I put the notch in (472 bolts to hold it in) before putting the panhard bar support crossmember in :(. At least you only have to take 1 notch back out (236 bolts :D ). Progress is looking great. And Keith is right... Mock it up completely... That's my plan, if I'll quit buying new cooler (ie $$$'er) parts.

C10_ustacould 12-07-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6947847)
Looks like you & I made the same mistake... I put the notch in (472 bolts to hold it in) before putting the panhard bar support crossmember in :(. At least you only have to take 1 notch back out (236 bolts :D ). Progress is looking great. And Keith is right... Mock it up completely... That's my plan, if I'll quit buying new cooler (ie $$$'er) parts.

Yep, going to handle that this morning