The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

CHIZZLER 03-19-2015 09:50 AM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

love that pickup.

JJorgensen52 03-19-2015 10:49 AM

I'm in on this one! I've was hoping to be where you're at about three weeks ago ;)

oldman3 03-19-2015 03:32 PM

Doug, great story on the pickup, and great friends to help out. A sweet looking ride, hope to see it one day...Jim

Advanced Design 03-20-2015 05:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7097336)
Doug, great story on the pickup, and great friends to help out. A sweet looking ride, hope to see it one day...Jim

Thanks all for the comments on the truck! Sad part is we sold it to buy a new DD for the wife here a few years ago. We don't borrow and needed more cash...so....of course wish we would have kept it.

Good news is it went to a higher end hot rod shop who needed it for a customer build. He wanted a truck like his Dad had back in the day. Fairly high dollar build and many of my parts were still installed, so that was a nice feeling.

oldman3 03-20-2015 09:32 PM

Doug, sorry to hear you had to sell, but another good story about the redo nice looking ride...Jim

99 to Life 03-20-2015 09:43 PM

looks great both ways, I must say I do dig that firewall.

Advanced Design 04-06-2015 07:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jim and 99!

Not much Burb time lately since I've been completing maintenance on our lawn equipment.

I did pull the Burb engine and trans, welded up the engine mounts then reinstalled the powertrain for all those build around things...column, intermediate shaft, headers / exhaust manifolds, accessory drive, Camaro pan...yadda..yadda.

My goal when I started last spring was to swap the Suburban body onto the new chassis and install the powertrain, then put the Burb on pause as I do "something" with the 35 Master Coupe. The majority of the parts for this 35 are sitting on the shelf ready to go. Thinking I might just put it together in bare steel since the metal is pretty nice.

So, the Burb is back in the corner for now (until I change my mind again), the 56 is getting some much needed updates for 2015 HRPT (pesky fuel sending unit leak, B & M ratchet shifter going away for a Lokar) and the '35 is back on deck...unless I change my mind again.

ricott 04-06-2015 08:00 PM

I know how that switching gears goes!!! I love you Coupe and hope to see some updates soon. I've already signed up for the Power Tour and reserved rooms. I'd love to see you then. Take care.

Ricky

oldman3 04-06-2015 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doug, hate to hear the burb is on the back burner, but understand. Will you have a build thread on the 35, if so post it up. Love the 56, sold mine back in 80 or 81, big block, 400 turbo, was a real solid car...Jim

rusty76 04-06-2015 08:29 PM

So sad to see the burb on the back burner but it's ok for now.....

Advanced Design 04-06-2015 08:30 PM

Ricky, hopefully we can hook up some. We are registered and have rooms for the long haul.

Jim, that was an awesome 56! Really love those cars. We had a 55 we built in the 90's and sold it in 96 to buy farmland.

Rusty76, Debated pausing the Burb as that is the one I really want to build...and I need to do something with the 35 before the parts get too outdated. Started on it back in 06 I think. And I have a nice 10 disc CD changer new in the box...lol.

Will start a build thread in alternate tinkerings when I move forward. I like it here much better than hotrodders.com.

Iceburgh 04-06-2015 08:37 PM

Where is the power tour starting and ending?

Advanced Design 04-06-2015 08:48 PM

Madison Wi to Baton Rouge LA, June 6 to 13
http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

Take your Burb Iceburgh?

smbrouss70 04-06-2015 11:50 PM

I'll be a long hauler too, as long as I can figure out where all these bolts go on my Blazer. :lol: I'll be looking for that 56.

youngrodder 04-07-2015 11:33 AM

Doug-

I might be the only one glad to hear that your burb is on hold. I was falling way behind you with my burb build. Ha Ha.

Looking forward to what is in store with the coupe.

The burb looks nice and low with as a roller.

Marc

Advanced Design 04-07-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7122645)
I'll be a long hauler too, as long as I can figure out where all these bolts go on my Blazer. :lol: I'll be looking for that 56.

Smbrousss70 - hope to see you on the tour. Will you be driving that Blazer?

Advanced Design 04-07-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7123078)
Doug-

I might be the only one glad to hear that your burb is on hold. I was falling way behind you with my burb build. Ha Ha.

Looking forward to what is in store with the coupe.

The burb looks nice and low with as a roller.

Marc

Hey Marc, and we are both way behind Iceburgh in the burb building department. Have you been working on yours?

Yes the 35 Coupe...I need to get the motivation level up on it. Everything is pretty well done and test fitted. Just needs assembly.

Iceburgh 04-07-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7123243)
Hey Marc, and we are both way behind Iceburgh in the burb building department. Have you been working on yours?

Yes the 35 Coupe...I need to get the motivation level up on it. Everything is pretty well done and test fitted. Just needs assembly.

Well I think I was lucky enough to start with a pretty good truck. Also I have a FIL that is retired that like to work on these things. Free labor and two sets of hands goes a long way.
;)

smbrouss70 04-07-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7123235)
Smbrousss70 - hope to see you on the tour. Will you be driving that Blazer?

That's the plan. Hopefully, I'm not pushing it!:lol:

I think I am trying to do too much right before a big trip like that. I'm building a new engine, changed the 4-speed stick to a 700-R4, and trying to assemble a decent interior, all at the same time. If I fall short, I may have to steal my Dad's 67 GTO.

youngrodder 04-08-2015 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=Advanced Design;7123243]Hey Marc, and we are both way behind Iceburgh in the burb building department. Have you been working on yours?

Yes, Iceburgh is killin it with his.

No afraid not. I'm waiting on my Porterbuilt goodies. I currently have my 48 truck torn apart. I found a leaking freeze plug in the block and I had to change that and you know how that goes well while I'm here I should change/paint/replace this.

I will soon get back on it.

Marc

Advanced Design 04-08-2015 08:22 PM

Iceburgh, Very cool your FIL likes to build. Two can do 3x as much as one! Hope you picked up a second wind for yours.

Smbrouss70, i bet you can make it even with all the updates you are making. A deadline seems to keep me really focused.

Marc, I've been reading in the 67 -72 truck section Porterbuilt is way behind on their orders. Have they given you an ETA? Another note, do you have a build thread on your awesome truck? It is so nice even a thread on replacing the freeze plug would be interesting.

Anyone want a nice 35 Chevy Master coupe project? :)

youngrodder 04-08-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7125213)
Marc, I've been reading in the 67 -72 truck section Porterbuilt is way behind on their orders. Have they given you an ETA? Another note, do you have a build thread on your awesome truck? It is so nice even a thread on replacing the freeze plug would be interesting.

I have been getting weekly updates from Nate at PB on the AD kit. They had to redevelop it based on some of their learning from their other kits. I knew I would have a long wait when I put $$ down because the kit was still being developed. My wait time has been much longer than most but I knew what I was getting into. I should know a delivery date soon. I will document all of that progress in my burb thread.

Thanks, but no build thread on my 48. I do have a lot of pics though. maybe someday I will go back and document. I kid that I started the project prior to the internet being invented. Yes, I should have documented my freeze plug change because I have made a lot of other changes since I had to take the front of the motor apart to gain access to the plug.

Marc

oldman3 04-08-2015 11:15 PM

Marc, my truck had been done for 7 yrs, when I took all my old 35 mil pics, scaned and then did my thread. So no excuse for not showing the build, lets see it...Jim

youngrodder 04-09-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7125492)
Marc, my truck had been done for 7 yrs, when I took all my old 35 mil pics, scaned and then did my thread. So no excuse for not showing the build, lets see it...Jim

Jim-

Pics aren't the problem. I have close to 350 digital pics. Time is my only real excuse. It would take a great deal of time to put everything in order.

Now back to Doug's thread....

Marc

Possmguts 04-09-2015 10:20 PM

I can only dream of the kind of shop you have... I built this house in 01 and ran 300 amp service to it thinking I would get to build a shop out back... it never happened and this place will be up for sale in a year or so now... and the quality of fab work and builds you have going on is something I could only wish for.
Maybe when i down size after kicking all the kids out and moving I can have the shop I always wanted.
American dream my ass....

Advanced Design 04-09-2015 10:43 PM

Marc - hopefully your PB parts will be along soon.

Jim - I am really glad you put up your build thread.

Possmguts - Thanks, you are doing really nice work on your truck! We have a fairly large shop and a fairly small house in the country. One of those trade off's we made years ago. And lot's of folks on here do amazing work in small or no shop.

Hopefully Saturday I can finish up the 56 stuff for HRPT then decide what to do with the 35. Cause I really want to be building on this Suburban. Did I mention we've waited 20 years? :)

Advanced Design 04-16-2015 10:35 PM

Well, I might have figured out a way to save time so I can get back on the Burb build.....
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4982006126.html

oldman3 04-16-2015 11:19 PM

Doug, pics of the coupe looks great, I think it will be gone soon. Lots of good parts also...Jim

Advanced Design 04-17-2015 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7136391)
Doug, pics of the coupe looks great, I think it will be gone soon. Lots of good parts also...Jim

Thanks Jim, I hope so. Have already had a scammer and offers to trade for Corvette and Harley. While I enjoy talking with people, especially about vehicles, I do not like the sales process.

youngrodder 04-17-2015 10:32 AM

Doug-

I REALLY don't like the sound of this plan. If the coupe sells, you would have more money and more time for the Suburban. Either one of these does not bode well for my slow progress on my Suburban.

All kidding aside, good luck with the sale.

Marc

Advanced Design 04-17-2015 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7136806)
Doug-

I REALLY don't like the sound of this plan. If the coupe sells, you would have more money and more time for the Suburban. Either one of these does not bode well for my slow progress on my Suburban.

All kidding aside, good luck with the sale.

Marc

Marc,

You brought a big grin to my face! Thank you!

I have wrestled and gone back and forth with this for quite awhile and decided, all things considered, this is the best direction. It is a really nice car and I will miss it. Time is finite and would rather spend it on the Burb. We've made a little progress in the last year.

Appreciate the well wishes! Maybe you have some buddies that are interested?

Doug

Advanced Design 04-26-2015 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm...maybe I am having second thoughts....

youngrodder 04-26-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7149366)
Hmm...maybe I am having second thoughts....

Looks good. The metal looks very straight...
Keep it......

Marc

BC Toy chest 04-28-2015 02:20 PM

Your new fan , been following along for a little while, nice project.

Advanced Design 04-29-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7149718)
Looks good. The metal looks very straight...
Keep it......

Marc

And slow down by Burb build? :)
Actually, thanks Marc. The metal is really straight. Will make a nice street rod when it is done. Maybe for me, maybe for someone else.

Advanced Design 04-29-2015 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BC Toy chest (Post 7151968)
Your new fan , been following along for a little while, nice project.

Thanks BC Toy chest! I have too many projects, including needing to weed spray the gravel drives around here, finish up the 56 for HRPT and do basic maintenance on the dually.

50 Chevy LS3 04-29-2015 10:23 PM

You have a nice shop and some really cool toys. The shop looks big enough for the old coupe to just set until you get around to it. Just call it "garage art" for now. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Maybe one of the grandkids will want it.

I noticed you were looking for some seats over at the other forum. DZ never priced them or gave measurements, did he?

Advanced Design 04-29-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 (Post 7153821)
You have a nice shop and some really cool toys. The shop looks big enough for the old coupe to just set until you get around to it. Just call it "garage art" for now. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Maybe one of the grandkids will want it.

I noticed you were looking for some seats over at the other forum. DZ never priced them or gave measurements, did he?

Thanks! We love our shop. The 35 has been here for 10 years now and somehow I keep putting other projects in front of it. May keep it.

Last I checked on the other forum he hadn't. I did see he posted to the 47 to 54 panels and burbs on Facebook and may hit him up there. A second seat in the rear position I think would work on my Burb with the widened wheel tubs and differential bump in the floor.

CHIZZLER 04-29-2015 11:08 PM

Once you sell it it's gone. Maybe you should keep looking at it for a bit and then decide. I had to sell my 36 5 window coupe to fund my crew cab build. I would go out to the shop everyday just to look at it even though it was so far from being a driver and needed everything. Good luck.

Advanced Design 05-03-2015 05:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIZZLER (Post 7153887)
Once you sell it it's gone. Maybe you should keep looking at it for a bit and then decide. I had to sell my 36 5 window coupe to fund my crew cab build. I would go out to the shop everyday just to look at it even though it was so far from being a driver and needed everything. Good luck.

Good point and thanks Chizzler. I remember a post where you mentioned selling your 36 Coupe. With most decisions, I am laser focused and positive in what I want or need to do. With this 35 I've been pretty wishy washy. And I notice in general this car draws the interest of folks 60 plus.

While the Burb languishes back in the corner, the 56 is getting closer to being ready for HRPT. The sending unit in the Spectra tank just will not seal so I am thinking the fix is a new tank. New Lokar shifter is in and I need to button up a few details on that, then talk my good friend into fixing the A/C...should be good to go.

Though not fancy, we love our LS.

And I scored a solid upper and lower Burb tail gate from FB I plan to pick up in TN. tomorrow. Mine is solid and has a ton of bondo in the lower gate. Wanting to have this one in case it is needed. They don't grow in trees here in the rust belt.