The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Johns 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734699)

Johns 66 05-22-2019 09:42 PM

Re: Johns 66

5 Attachment(s)
Put a lil black on the suspension parts today....got the lower A arms drilled for the sway bar.

I noticed today that in my infinite wisdom I painted the glove box door the wrong color.....for some reason I thought the instrument cluster bezel and glove box door were the same...after talking with Andy I realized I made a big whoops....so I practiced taking out the runs....didn't go so well....so took it all the way back down to metal...epoxy then high build.

I do think I learned why I was making so many runs because I had some runs on the lower A arms as well when I sprayed them today. I had adjusted my fan pattern to a smaller fan about 7 or 8 inches and while it sprayed fine it puts way too much paint on at one time...….plus I think the air pressure was a little too high when spraying the colors and clear.

Luckily the steering column parts are small so not a whole bunch of work. I will spray them and once I get it down will spray the rest of the stuff. Got the firewall, dash, and half the interior of the cab sanded down to 400....while sand it with 600 before putting color on it. I did notice some slight sanding scratches with the 320 and 400. I was testing how far I needed to sand so one I sanded with 320 and the other with 400....but now realize that I need to go to 600 on the metallic interior colors.....

Also I did realize I was trying to paint way to much at one time and as the pictures tell I was handing everything which in turn helps runs occur...at least for me. So until I get the hang of this I will just lay the parts flat....spray one side...let dry then turn then over and spray the other....will see how that works...

First few are of my runs but its does give you a look at the interior color

Johns 66 05-22-2019 09:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and a few more

cwcarpenter98 05-22-2019 10:34 PM

I like that silver color, and the black looks great too :metal:

kdad 05-23-2019 03:21 PM

Lookin great John

Johns 66 05-27-2019 03:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8530630)
Lookin great John

Thanks Scott...slow and steady.

Well got the dash ready and sprayed it today, along with the glove box door, ash tray plate and heater plate.

My plan was to spray light coats to alleviate the runs...and I made the fan on the gun a lil wider than before...

A couple of notes.....the dash has a few waves in it...I guess my block sanding left a little to be desired...….its not prefect but it will be fine. Secondly is I put such light coats on, especially the clear that on the front edge of the dash it wasn't covered too good...but no runs. So I will wet sand down with 1000 grit and re-clear the dash...guess its better than sanding out runs.

The dash color has a little more green tint to it by my looks and the light silver is a BIG contrast...more silvery if you will......thinking about spraying the whole interior the dash color.....just not sure yet.

The first pic is of the front edge of the dash.

Johns 66 05-27-2019 03:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more

straight6chevyguy 05-27-2019 04:18 PM

looks great John!

roll_the_dice 05-27-2019 04:41 PM

Looks good John. If you put 3 coats of clear on the dash, you may be able to wet sand then buff without reclearing...

cwcarpenter98 05-27-2019 08:56 PM

Looks great!

kdad 07-16-2019 11:07 AM

Haven’t checked in awhile. Been busy moving ..... Yukk. How’s this going John?

yote1234 07-16-2019 11:28 AM

Looking great john!!!!

Johns 66 09-15-2019 07:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi All....Been away for awhile...I have been helping my cousin build his house since early June so the truck has been on hold but I am back home now and will start back on it again....hopefully in a little cooler weather. The next couple of posts will be pics of what we were doing.

To preface it a little bit, my cousin Ben has a sawmill and tree business. He cut all the lumber for his house the past 2 yrs. The log cabin part is made out of white oak, the porches are white oak and the remainder is old growth short leaf pine....which means its really tight grained and heavy....lot of heart wood.

The exterior walls are all 2x6, rough cut so a full 2x6, same with the floor joist of 2x10, rafters 2x8. The exterior is cypress 1x12 and we burned and brushed each piece then oiled with a mixture of tung, linseed and citrus oil. That is done to protect the wood...
But I know a few have wondered where I had been, I been keeping in contact with Andy and Christian....so enjoy the pics

Johns 66 09-15-2019 07:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more

Johns 66 09-15-2019 07:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and the last few

62 short step 09-16-2019 08:10 AM

That's going to be a fine home!

roll_the_dice 09-16-2019 11:33 AM

You guys do good work...helping family is what it is all about!

Glad your back to your truck though. I am sure you missed it.

cwcarpenter98 09-16-2019 01:17 PM

That home with a yard full of Chevy trucks. Sounds like the dream to me :metal:

kdad 09-16-2019 04:15 PM

Was wondering where you went John! Glad to see you helping family and great to have you back

kdad 06-04-2020 09:47 AM

Checking in on you John.. Haven't seen any updates in awhile??

roll_the_dice 06-04-2020 09:03 PM

I talked to John today. He is doing good, but been busy working...hopefully he will get back to his truck soon...and come back to the board.

cwcarpenter98 06-04-2020 11:00 PM

Thanks Andy for the update. John has been doing some really nice carpentry work. I hope he can get back to his truck soon through

kdad 06-09-2020 09:59 AM

Thanks Andy, Glad to hear John is doing good and will be back to the truck soon.
Hows your truck Andy?

Johns 66 07-08-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8751734)
Checking in on you John.. Haven't seen any updates in awhile??

Hey Scott,

Been busy and been having an issue with the truck...actually the truck is fine.

So I find myself in a real bad bind.....I guess what they say is true that you just cant trust everyone.

Last June I sent ALL my bolts, EVERY SINGLE ONE to a board member here and he was supposed to get the bolts plated back to factory specs, some cadmium, some black phosphate just like original, and since the truck was apart and it was supposed to take 3 weeks I sent him the money to have them done along with ALL the bolts....and as you can tell I haven't posted any updates mainly because I cant put anything together,,,when I say every bolts I mean every single one. I have the body work done but cant the chassis back together because again...no BOLTS.

I have texted, emailed, PM'd with no results, I even had Andy try and PM him but his mail box is full. So Im stuck...and in the process of trying to figure out what bolts I exactly need and where to get them.

Makes me sick to no end.

cwcarpenter98 07-08-2020 09:35 PM

Dang John, I can't even imagine how that feels. I hope you can either get the bolts back, or you can get some new bolts to get the truck back together

Johns 66 07-10-2020 07:26 PM

Well reached out to a few members on here to see if they could help locate any bolts....a couple of promising leads.....I did call classic parts and they acted like they don't sell bolts for a 66....IDK what that guy was on...lol

Im hoping by next week I have some leads on the ole bolt fiasco......Fingers crossed.

I did reach out one last time today to the member, called, sent an email and texted...Im gonna give him till the end of the month before I disclose who it is...I figure I have given him a year so I aint just rushing to slam somebody, but a year is way long enough

roll_the_dice 07-10-2020 07:32 PM

I still can't believe that happened to you! God has a special place for some people. :)

yote1234 07-11-2020 10:53 AM

try this guy here... he deals in 60-66. he might have "a bucket" of misc bolts.
don...480-688-8521 mesa az

notsolo 07-14-2020 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have an assortment, several boxes to go through yet...mostly body and hinge bolts...These were probably from a 63. Need some more details on what all your missing. ..Ed

Johns 66 07-26-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8774665)
I have an assortment, several boxes to go through yet...mostly body and hinge bolts...These were probably from a 63. Need some more details on what all your missing. ..Ed

Hi Ed.....Yep these are some that I am missing.

Mainly need the suspension bolts right now...bolts that mount the cradle to the frame, motor mount bolts that mount the pieces to the cradle and frame.
I bought some new u-bolts for the lower control arms.

also needing the concave washers that go on the studs for the upper control arm mounts...I think they may be called camber washers????

Of course will need the bolts that mount the hinges to the doors and truck, bolts for the door striker, windshield wiper motor.

The smaller interior screws I can buy from what Ive seen.

I "Think" that a lot of the chassis bolts are simply grade 8 bolts, Im assuming but don't really know the sizes....got some figuring to do.

Ive been looking for rusted out old wrecked trucks but no luck....Figured the bolts would be good.,

My goal is to get this thing back together, painted or not and then drive it...tired of seeing it in pieces.

Andy and I have been swapping tools in the mail, wire strippers, etc.....and Andy is redoing my instrument cluster for me as well so that's gonna be good.

I also ordered my 5 lug rear axles from CPP and they should be here next week.

Ill get them swapped out and hopefully be able to get some bolts to mount the front cradle so I can make the chassis a roller.

I have bought some Ridler 5 spoke Chrome wheels that will be here next week as well so once I get the chassis stuff back on then I can roll the frame around.

Johns 66 07-26-2020 11:28 AM

Posted a new thread ...BEWARE

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post8782036

Captainfab 07-26-2020 10:15 PM

To bolt up the front suspension and related components, I would just go to either Fastenal or a local hardware store and get some grade 8, 7/16 -14 bolts, SAE flat washers and top lock nuts. If you need to know the lengths, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Johns 66 07-27-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8782352)
To bolt up the front suspension and related components, I would just go to either Fastenal or a local hardware store and get some grade 8, 7/16 -14 bolts, SAE flat washers and top lock nuts. If you need to know the lengths, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

That would be awesome because I dont have the first clue of sizes. Do yoy have an idea of where to get the concave washers rhat fit on the studs of the ulper control arm?

SCOTI 07-27-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8782449)
That would be awesome because I dont have the first clue of sizes. Do yoy have an idea of where to get the concave washers rhat fit on the studs of the ulper control arm?

If you can't find any, I can look through a box of misc hardware from over the years that might have some.

There's also another option.... I've ground the shaft flat in that area so a standard flat spacer can be used. This was during a disc swap & various years of parts were utilized. I don't know exactly what you have but I know there's more than one way to solve the dilemma.

Android04 07-27-2020 11:57 AM

John not sure what all bolts you're needing but a local place here has full front end bolt kits for a littel cheaper then going to the hardware store and they are correct length and tapered.

http://sokyclassics.com/product.php?skcid=1003942

They also have a stainless option and they are really quick at shipping.

Best of luck!

Johns 66 07-27-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8782590)
John not sure what all bolts you're needing but a local place here has full front end bolt kits for a littel cheaper then going to the hardware store and they are correct length and tapered.

http://sokyclassics.com/product.php?skcid=1003942

They also have a stainless option and they are really quick at shipping.

Best of luck!

Ill for sure check them out...I appreciate it alot

aggie91 07-28-2020 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8782449)

John,

Are you looking for item #9 in the attached diagram or the round washer that is flat on one side and concave on the other side that goes against the frame between the frame and the shims (item #8)?

The Rocknrod 07-28-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8782034)
Hi Ed.....Yep these are some that I am missing.

Mainly need the suspension bolts right now...bolts that mount the cradle to the frame, motor mount bolts that mount the pieces to the cradle and frame.
I bought some new u-bolts for the lower control arms.

also needing the concave washers that go on the studs for the upper control arm mounts...I think they may be called camber washers????

Of course will need the bolts that mount the hinges to the doors and truck, bolts for the door striker, windshield wiper motor.

The smaller interior screws I can buy from what Ive seen.

I "Think" that a lot of the chassis bolts are simply grade 8 bolts, Im assuming but don't really know the sizes....got some figuring to do.

Ive been looking for rusted out old wrecked trucks but no luck....Figured the bolts would be good.,

My goal is to get this thing back together, painted or not and then drive it...tired of seeing it in pieces.

Andy and I have been swapping tools in the mail, wire strippers, etc.....and Andy is redoing my instrument cluster for me as well so that's gonna be good.

I also ordered my 5 lug rear axles from CPP and they should be here next week.

Ill get them swapped out and hopefully be able to get some bolts to mount the front cradle so I can make the chassis a roller.

I have bought some Ridler 5 spoke Chrome wheels that will be here next week as well so once I get the chassis stuff back on then I can roll the frame around.

cradle to the frame - Like captainfab said they are grade 8's from the factory, I purchased new ones.
the concave washers - POL has new ones. Or contact Aspen Truck Parts in Arizona for used.
Hinges to doors etc. - I used LMC Truck Parts.

Johns 66 07-28-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8783183)
John,

Are you looking for item #9 in the attached diagram or the round washer that is flat on one side and concave on the other side that goes against the frame between the frame and the shims (item #8)?

Karl,
The ones I took off were round, if I remember correctly one set had a concave face and one set had a convex set.
Based on the drawing you posted they definitely go ion Bolt #7

Johns 66 07-28-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8783341)
cradle to the frame - Like captainfab said they are grade 8's from the factory, I purchased new ones.
the concave washers - POL has new ones. Or contact Aspen Truck Parts in Arizona for used.
Hinges to doors etc. - I used LMC Truck Parts.

Thanks for the info...I looked on the POL website but couldn't seem to find the concave washers....do you happen to have a link

Johns 66 07-28-2020 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this pic of what I am needing....maybe this helps