The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

losthope 08-04-2011 10:35 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

that looks alot better!!! i did the same thing to a motor in another ride of mine...i bought a can of the high temp cast-iron color paint and painted my rusty exhaust manifolds(dual exhaust) you have to let it cure before firing engine and getting it hott ,looks way better now....just a thought!

J.Cagle 08-04-2011 11:10 PM

Ive got a can of it sitting on the tail gate ready to go on the manifold tomorrow! I really wish I culd have painted it the stock greenish blue color, but the chevy blue will do for now until I pull it to add an Over drive 5 speed tranny and repaint it then, or until I swap in a newer crossmember with PS, PB, v8 and auto! This will get me by until i decide haha

suzq044 08-04-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzq044 (Post 4828075)
Verified that it was an out-of-round tire causing a bounce in the rear end. Found out we have air-shocks in the rear. We also have just about 100% original truck.. including the muffler lol. That truck runs QUIET. Pics later..
Posted via Mobile Device

... since apparently I cannot edit my posts.. ? Here are the pics:

New Water & Fuel pump, as of yesterday:
http://i51.tinypic.com/vrpvkl.jpg

Rear air-shock suspension.. which we didn't know we had. I'm just guessing, this isn't stock? lol
http://i56.tinypic.com/2z5jfgy.jpg

cb1965 08-04-2011 11:59 PM

tore out the old rotten wood off the bed. Had to grind off about 80% of the

bolts off because of rust... some what fun ( i like taking the grinder to

anything :sexy:)

fryer1979 08-05-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 4827712)
I just wish I was at the point of paint. :whine:

Man, I am so far from ready for a real paintjob it is scary. All I am going to do is a rattle can job to closely match (as close as I can with what is available) the original colors, turquoise and white. The gray primer was done really hastily, and looks horrible in person. As I complete body work I will seal and coat each panel, then when it's all done I'll give her the coat she deserves. For now I just want to make her a little more presentable.

jbgroby 08-05-2011 09:01 AM

Ok who left the door open and let a '67 sneek in to our party, ;) Just joshing, I did the screwdriver a time or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMERDOC (Post 4828480)
Gutted the old lock cylinder/ignition switch to get it out. Installed the new stuff. No more screwdriver for me!!

Vernski 08-05-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 4829066)
Ok who left the door open and let a '67 sneek in to our party, ;) Just joshing, I did the screwdriver a time or two.

Hi Jake it looks as though the 67-72 crowd don't have a what did you do to your truck today? over there so i guess we have to share. Curious why they don't just start one but oh well. How have you been down there? Your truck looks great been watching your build getting closer to driving it I see...Vernski:metal:

Clyde65 08-05-2011 12:40 PM

I had my body shop friend fix a few little things on both doors and the front fenders, my dad went and got it, then backed into my carport column when he got it to my house. now back to the body shop in the morning.

steverino66 08-05-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 4829338)
I had my body shop friend fix a few little things on both doors and the front fenders, my dad went and got it, then backed into my carport column when he got it to my house. now back to the body shop in the morning.

I feel your pain, Clyde - I still remember the day my best friend opened the door of my near-perfect Chevelle convertible - right onto the taillight of my bike!

jbgroby 08-05-2011 03:40 PM

Yeah Vern, I got the itch REAL bad.

markeb01 08-05-2011 10:46 PM

Started modifying the instrument panel last night, and finished up the changes this morning. Then I spent the next four and a half hours restoring the vinyl rim on my vintage Covico steering wheel. After nearly half a century of use it had plenty of nicks, scratches, and gouges.

All the defects were wet sanded out with 400, 600, 1000, and 1500 grit paper. This was followed by 3 polishing steps with Semi-Chrome, and the final finish was brought back to original with 3 additional applications of Mothers Mag Wheel polish. It’s hard to photograph a shine, but I’m amazed how nice it turned out. The accessory gauge panel is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. If it shows, I’ll get everything installed/reassembled and post some update photos of the interior.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8493/cw001.jpg

198plus 08-05-2011 11:02 PM

Installed a new Proform GM Licensed Distributor.

HEI451 08-06-2011 12:20 AM

1964 C30 1 ton flat bed dually.

Yesterday, I limousine tinted the back window, and addressed the problem of the belly fuel tank filler. Will have the parts to extend the filler, so the tank can be completely filled, next week. Laid out a parts and build sheet for the exhaust system and what I will need to finish it. Fabricated/installed a second 12 volt cigar lighter type power port. Finished a remote magnetic mount work light, wit 25 foot cord. I used an old rectangular driving light, and changed the mount to use a magnetic welding ground cable mount, so I can just magnet it onto steel, where I need light to work at night.

Today, removed the C30 emblems so I can repaint the inner areas. Fabricated and welded in two new mounts for the rear tire mud guards, fabricated and mounted a second battery box, on the driver side of the radiator, to run a second battery for the hoist I will install in the flat bed for lifting. This hoist will be removable. I am using the hub and bearing area of an old 3/4 ton full floating axle to allow the hoist to rotate. My neighbor is a truck driver, and is doing a Dodge dump truck to haul the wood he cuts, and vame up with a mod to the reat of my truck. It now has a single large steel platform for a trailer hitch ball. We are going to install a receiver so I can fit a number of different drops and ball sizes. We figured out that there is enough room between the platform and flat bed deck to make a parts box, with the door opening to the rear of the truck, between them, with back up light and license plate on the door of the box. Inside will be the various balls and receivers, in their own areas, along with safety chains, and, a large enough area to hold the hoist.

Tomorrow, I fix the floor mounted emergency brake lever boot. And, work on a friend's 2000 Dodge Diesel 1 ton dually, oil and filter change, service, check out erratic shifting.

Monday, the glove box lock and light should be here, and I'll put 'em in.

Yesterday, I went over my 110 volt mig welder, fixed a very corroded hand switch. today, I fixed the dial switches on my free Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 amp "buzz box" stick welder. I got this one "in trade", because the AC to DC switch wouldn't turn, everything else is like new on the thing. Only really cost me a tune up on a Kawasaki KZ1000 4 cylinder bike. This welder will do small diameter and large diameter sticks, hard face alloys, stainless steel, and will cut steel as well, nice piece. Welds absolutely beauty!

Lots more to do to my truck, good that I am in no hurry to get it done.

weaintscared 08-06-2011 09:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
weld weld & weld some more!!!!

Check it out for yourself...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468622

let me know what you think...

markeb01 08-06-2011 10:39 AM

What a clever modification. I've never seen that done before. It's going to look great.

Clyde65 08-06-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 4829338)

OK, body "damage" was only a scuff and was rubbed out with light compound, no biggie, thank God! Dad feels bad, I told him it's no big deal. he wont drive my truck anymore he says.

steverino66 08-06-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaintscared (Post 4830814)

Looks good, but now where are you gonna set down screws when you take stuff apart?
JK - that's going to be a bear to clean up those welds - I just bought an air die grinder with a nifty little steel grinding bit for tight spots on my rocker panels; you may want one if you don't have already.

weaintscared 08-06-2011 12:54 PM

done & done that got it clean and smoothed out looks nice

and for a place to lay bolts and screws I don't plan on turning alot of bolts after I get it finished..

chainsaw 08-06-2011 06:05 PM

Bolted the hood back on today and that finished the engine swap.

wutnxt 08-07-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaintscared (Post 4830814)

Okay thats awsome....I just did excatly the same thing about 2 weeks ago....Just had it all painted and dropped the engine in it....I liked the way it smoothed everything out and made it look cleaner.....I haven't loaded the pictures but will do that later today.....good job by the way

66-PMD-GMC 08-07-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryer1979 (Post 4828881)
Man, I am so far from ready for a real paintjob it is scary. All I am going to do is a rattle can job to closely match (as close as I can with what is available) the original colors, turquoise and white. The gray primer was done really hastily, and looks horrible in person. As I complete body work I will seal and coat each panel, then when it's all done I'll give her the coat she deserves. For now I just want to make her a little more presentable.

I am just driving my beast as is.
Thought about taking a ride to home depot and buying some oops paint and rolling the freaking truck, but on second thought, decided I wasn't that desperate.
I get the craziest looks from people in my truck. Haven't dropped the bed back on and have really bright trailer lights hanging off the rear of the frame.
I am really wishing I had put an automatic in this truck but all I have are BOP case TH-400's laying around and the only Chevy thing I had was a SM-420 so I used that. Works great! Just looking for an overdrive spot to put the shift handle in and can't find it. :lol:
Today I need to find someone to lend me their welder for 15 minutes so I can weld the shock mounts on the rear diff.. yup! I have also been driving around with no rear shocks... Gonna fix that today :uhmk:

chevyrestoguy 08-07-2011 11:03 AM

Went to the local Ecology Auto Wrecking yesterday because it was half-price day and got really lucky. They had just put a '65 C-10 out in the yard a few days before and nobody had pulled anything from it yet. I grabbed a complete automatic column, the e-brake handle assembly, a V-8 radiator, the shroud, all the shift linkage, a horn, a GMC horn button, all the inside door handles, and a huge bag of bolts for $85. And that's including the absurd $13 core charge for the radiator, shroud, and column. It was a really good day. I'm converting my truck from a 4-speed to an automatic and had been looking for a column for a while. I was about 80% done on a retrofit mod using a '67-72 column, but for the price of what I paid for the '65 column, I'm way ahead cost-wise. The 67-72 column was a freebie, but it was a parts column from another project, and it needs a bunch of the parts that were missing. Adding up the costs of all the missing stuff was more than what I paid for the '65 column, which needs nothing but a turn signal cam (broken).

Today is parts cleaning day!

markeb01 08-07-2011 11:07 AM

Outstanding! It's pretty rare any more to find a 60-66 in a yard with anything left on it.

wutnxt 08-07-2011 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Can't see it very well but this is the result..engine went in the otherday

markeb01 08-07-2011 05:59 PM

The accessory 3 gauge panel arrived yesterday and wasn’t in the tip top shape I had hoped for. Starting with 100 grit on an air file, final polish came 3 ½ hours later. Unfortunately my son recently borrowed his buffer back so all the finish work had to be done by hand. Completed the install this morning and got the steering wheel back on and everything buttoned up. Seat belts are next once I decide what to get.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9113/005txx.jpg