The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Daze57 07-30-2014 10:46 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

cool lookin desk

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2014 04:14 PM

As I posted on another thread, I bought a Fatman Fabrications stage II IFS kit with a power steering rack. This is the first time I've had anything to post on this thread in a year if I'm honest.

Bone$ 07-30-2014 06:27 PM

:waah:I Touched my LS1 sitting in my garage and dreamed of doing burnouts in my 54..

abrahamseven 08-03-2014 09:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed my rear left fender and put my rear bumper and brackets on

steve

iowaboynca 08-04-2014 02:39 PM

turned it over just to make sure the ol' 235 still runs...still debating best way to get it to the scales (trailering 1.5 miles or limping there and back) to finalize getting it registered

Hogger54 08-04-2014 03:47 PM

Got my door weatherstrip on. Still messing with door alignment now.
Got my hood on.
Had to replace two front leaves to get the front springs off the bump stops.:censored:

lv2tri2 08-04-2014 04:36 PM

Very nice work.

la hi 08-04-2014 05:15 PM

cut the tail pipes off and put the tank in. fits perfect and I can't wait to hear the new sound. I had four glass packs and now I have two with the 454.

51 okie 08-04-2014 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I scored this 235, all apart mind you. It looks to be in great shape. A little machining and put it together. Big kids model engine. All looks to be there. 2 rocker covers, clutch plate, 2 cams, one supposedly from a vette? Any ideas about that, can it work? Is it better? $50

ChuckDriver 08-05-2014 10:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Modified the brake pedal, using a piece from a second one, so that I could install a "Power Brake" pad from a 58 sedan that I picked up at the Good Guys show in Charlotte last fall!

oldman3 08-05-2014 11:18 PM

Sweeeeet...Jim

Russell Ashley 08-06-2014 08:51 AM

Nice job on the brake pedal. When I got my truck it had at some time in it's life had an automatic transmission in it, and it had a wide brake pedal from a Chrysler welded on to the brake stem. I removed it and got an original pedal from another forum member. If I should ever convert to an automatic I think I will steal your idea. I like it.

oldcouple 08-10-2014 01:25 AM

Had to buy a new battery, old one exactly 3 years old, and just off warranty. Then got it started and pulled it outside and washed all the fly poop and dust off it. Turned it around in the drive way and backed it in. Put new plates on for current state. Then managed to destroy the wire loom for the passenger door. So more stuff to do now.

OrrieG 08-10-2014 01:18 PM

Chuck, thanks for the reminder, I need to do that too, still have the stock manual trans brake pedal.

dubie 08-10-2014 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took it to a small car and bike show

Dan in Pasadena 08-11-2014 10:34 AM

She's looking good Tim!

I finally took my truck out, gave her a thorough wash, waxed the chrome and found there was some light overspray from another project I'd been working on. I took her on a short run to my local OSH for some 0000 steel wool which cleaned it right off; they shine like new again.

I also got a bit of a wild hair and knifed off the rock-hard rear window rubber to re-install with new Softseal rubber from The Truck Shop. It turned into a PITA.

I tried taping the rubber onto the glass, then the window frame. No dice, it kept coming off so I said screw it. I'll take her to a local glass shop; I don't need the aggravation.

Also while working under the hood I finally found where the carb is leaking so I'll be pulling it off tonight to get a rebuild or a new carb on there. It's a slippery slope, gentlemen!

crossfire84 08-13-2014 07:30 PM

Went to the junk yard and found a nice floor mounted parking brake handle a few days ago, Just mounted my Lokar universal parking brake lines.

Dan in Pasadena 08-16-2014 06:50 PM

Pulled my Holley out today and I decided to rebuild it since it seems to be sized right for my little 283.

A trip to Pep Boys for a gallon of carburetor cleaner and to Blair's Speed Shop here in Pasadena and I got a new rebuild kit.

I also decided to complete a little improvement I'd started months ago (EEK!). Stripping the coating on the lip of my old school knock-off Torq Thrusts so I can polish them. I bought a quart of epoxy paint stripper and it came off surprisingly faster than my previous (dangerous) try which was jacking up the truck while running in gear and using sandpaper!

Ozzy2013 08-16-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6804395)
Pulled my Holley out today and I decided to rebuild it since it seems to be sized right for my little 283.

A trip to Pep Boys for a gallon of carburetor cleaner and to Blair's Speed Shop here in Pasadena and I got a new rebuild kit.

I also decided to complete a little improvement I'd started months ago (EEK!). Stripping the coating on the lip of my old school knock-off Torq Thrusts so I can polish them. I bought a quart of epoxy paint stripper and it came off surprisingly faster than my previous (dangerous) try which was jacking up the truck while running in gear and using sandpaper!

Sounds safer .ha ha

Dan in Pasadena 08-16-2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 (Post 6804662)
Sounds safer .ha ha

Yup! I had visions of me getting hung up,on the turning wheel and getting my arm ripped off. I did one wheel that way and thought, "You're a DAMN fool for doing this!" So I stopped.

Ozzy2013 08-16-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6804688)
Yup! I had visions of me getting hung up,on the turning wheel and getting my arm ripped off. I did one wheel that way and thought, "You're a DAMN fool for doing this!" So I stopped.

Ha ha ha been there said the same thing a few times at least you stopped before you ripped an arm off .Its when we don't listen to that little voice we regret it.

Dan in Pasadena 08-17-2014 12:17 AM

Where was the little voice BEFORE I did this dumbschit thing?!

I made sure I had no sleeves and I didn't wrap the sandpaper around a finger or anything but the voice STILL said, "This is STOOPID".

pvienneau 08-19-2014 04:49 PM

Removed rear spring leaf rear hanger bushings. Started with a 1/2 inch 6 inch Hex head all threaded bolt, a 22 mm socket and a couple washers to get it started out. Once you hear that snap and it starts go to a 3/8 inch 6 inch carriage bolt. I used the closed end of a 15/16 and a 1 inch wrench with the 22 mm socket to get the bushing length. I don't have long sockets. I turned them both out by hand. The hex head on the 1/2 inch bolt is 3/4 inch across points. The head on the 3/8 carriage bolt is 3/4 D.

topdown99 08-19-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvienneau (Post 6808470)
Removed rear spring leaf rear hanger bushings. Started with a 1/2 inch 6 inch Hex head all threaded bolt, a 22 mm socket and a couple washers to get it started out. Once you hear that snap and it starts go to a 3/8 inch 6 inch carriage bolt. I used the closed end of a 15/16 and a 1 inch wrench with the 22 mm socket to get the bushing length. I don't have long sockets. I turned them both out by hand. The hex head on the 1/2 inch bolt is 3/4 inch across points. The head on the 3/8 carriage bolt is 3/4 D.

great idea and great info!!

yossarian19 08-20-2014 11:27 AM

Today, on a business trip with the wife.
Monday, I hung a 3/4 ton chain hoist from the rafters and pulled the bed off with it. I'll be looking at my lumber options when I get back home, & doing some metalwork on the bed at the same time.