The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=568482)

2000Limited 06-10-2015 05:00 AM

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Very nice. im in:metal:

rgunlock 06-10-2015 07:57 AM

Thanks! Looks like you'll be driving yours again shortly. I'll be interested in how the stroker you built works out. I only know that my 350 "ran a couple years ago when I parked it" :lol: but I may end up having to build it after I get to the point I can drive the truck.

rgunlock 06-16-2015 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a lot of progress, some sanding but mostly other things taking up my weekends. But, I did pick these up for $45.00 + shipping. I think that's a pretty good price. One of mine "walked off". Tore my shop up looking for it but never found it.

y5mgisi 06-16-2015 03:25 PM

Good deal!

cmabolt 06-16-2015 04:56 PM

Nice'n Shiny. Good deal.

rgunlock 06-29-2015 12:14 PM

Nothing picture worthy, but I did have a good day in the shop yesterday. Member Boynton came by last weekend and spent a few hours helping me do the initial blocking of the 2K primer. Really appreciated, and if you guys haven't already done so, check out his builds. He's finishing his third in the time I've been working on this one!

I'd gotten yard chores and stuff done Saturday, so yesterday was shop day. Got a good start at around the crack of dawn, err maybe 11:00ish:lol: The block sanding had shown about a dozen other spots that needed further bodywork, so sand all the 2K off those spots. Mix some filler and slather it onto a few spots. Grab a cold one and called best friend in Indiana while filler set. Sand those down, mix more filler for a few more spots. Grab another cold one and call my brother in NC. More sanding and fill the last few spots. Grab another cold one, decide its time to start the grill for some ribs. Decide I've had enough cold ones I'm likely to cause myself more work if I do any more sanding, so sit there in the front of the shop with the cold one and a fly-swatter watching, smelling the ribs grill. Stereo that evening was radio from back of shop and cicadas tuning up for the evening outside.

That's what I call a good day in the shop! I bet many of you can relate. Not a lot to show for it, but that's how I like to spend my "day of rest":lol:

y5mgisi 06-29-2015 07:59 PM

Not bad at all!

2000Limited 06-30-2015 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7204648)
Thanks! Looks like you'll be driving yours again shortly. I'll be interested in how the stroker you built works out. I only know that my 350 "ran a couple years ago when I parked it" :lol: but I may end up having to build it after I get to the point I can drive the truck.

Thanks, It is running great at this time. Im still trying to finish putting the bed on it.

LF_MN_71GMC 07-30-2015 01:50 AM

Hey, I just read this whole thread. Really great work, doing some professional level stuff here.

rgunlock 07-30-2015 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LF_MN_71GMC (Post 7258161)
Hey, I just read this whole thread. Really great work, doing some professional level stuff here.

Thanks for looking it over. I appreciate the comment, although I think "professional level" may be overstating for my first project :lol: I have a tough time settling when I think I could do a better job, which is where I am stuck now. I just haven't been able to get happy with all my filler work so keep on re-doing it, but I am really close to being finished now. Decided I've posted enough on bodywork so updates and pics when I actually get some color on the truck.

y5mgisi 07-30-2015 08:37 AM

But we like pics and updates!

rgunlock 07-30-2015 01:02 PM

Then I'd better get some color on it quick! Well, I need to build another cart so that I can have both the cab and bed on carts when I blow the whole thing back apart. And, I need to construct some sort of paint booth in the shop. I'll post some updates when I get to those. If you've seen one picture of filler slathered on a body panel, you've pretty much seen them all :lol:

rgunlock 08-01-2015 07:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7258243)
But we like pics and updates!

Well, this update is for you y5mgisi! Plus I just looked back and I haven't posted any progress pictures since April. When I started block sanding the 2K, I found a number of spots where I just was not happy with my bodywork, so I've been working those spots as I've had time. I finally think (hope) that they are good enough. Finished sanding them today and sprayed on some epoxy to cover the bare metal and new filler.

rgunlock 08-01-2015 07:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And a few more... Now to finish the block sanding I started a couple months ago.

y5mgisi 08-01-2015 08:17 PM

Fun!! I'm a short couple weeks away from shooting epoxy primer on my crew cab project!

cmabolt 08-02-2015 08:25 AM

Looks good Rick. I wish I had the patience/experience to do my own bodywork. Unfortunately every attempt I have made with previous cars has been less than
good. I think a class will be in order soon as this is a skill I want to have.

Keep chugging away!
Chris

rgunlock 08-02-2015 10:04 AM

I agree about taking the class. I've spread about 2 gallons of filler on this truck by now, and still don't think I have > 1/8" anywhere. Just can't seem to get it right the first time (or the 3rd or 4th :lol:). So jealous of you driving your truck now Chris, but that gives me a lot of motivation to make another push on mine.

y5mgisi 08-02-2015 12:36 PM

Did you ever decide on a color? If I remember right you were thinking a brown of some kind?

19silverado77 08-02-2015 12:54 PM

Your truck looks great and has came a long way.

rgunlock 08-02-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7261240)
Did you ever decide on a color? If I remember right you were thinking a brown of some kind?

You remember correct. I'm still thinking I will go with a 1980 GM Dark Camel, which is really kind of a medium brown. Unfortunately, I still have time to change my mind :lol:

rgunlock 08-02-2015 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19silverado77 (Post 7261250)
Your truck looks great and has came a long way.

Thank you, and I keep reminding myself about that.

Spent a few hours with the purple scotch pad today scuffing the interior and jams on the cab. There was so much overspray in there that at least it was easy to see what I'd scuffed and what hadn't been. In theory, all it needs now is a wash and wipe with wax and grease remover before painting. I may hit it with sealer first to get the chemical bond to the paint, but I don't know if that is necessary. Inside the cab hasn't been this clean in years :lol:

Its 98 in the shade here and no cooler in my shop, so that was enough progress for today.

y5mgisi 08-02-2015 04:46 PM

Very nice! It's been warm here lately and it does shoot the motivation level down a bit! I wish I had the ambition to do a full tear down like you did. I'm only going as far as painting the door jambs. If I had a shop separate from my garage I would strongly consider it. But since all I have is a two car garage and nothing more, I figured it best to just get the thing in and out as quick as possible. The good news is that by the time I actually get paint on it, maybe not all back together but able to sit outside again, should only be a total of about 3 months of down time. Pros and cons to each method I reckon.

rgunlock 08-02-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7261439)
I wish I had the ambition to do a full tear down like you did.

That's funny, because I'm thinking I'd have been happier driving it for the last couple years if I had not been so ambitious! Guess I'm committed now :lol:

y5mgisi 08-03-2015 08:10 AM

That's kind of what I keep telling myself take myself sleep better is that it will be back on the road sooner. Like I said, pros and cons to each approach.

Bomp 08-03-2015 07:47 PM

Wow, you've come along ways. Looks great.