The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Attempting my first build 72 K5 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=628612)

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-09-2017 10:50 PM

Re: Attempting my first build 72 K5

Quote:

Originally Posted by parb (Post 8054378)
Super cool!

I'm new to the board. I just bought a 72 Jimmy area weeks ago. Will have it repainted and restored over the next couple of months.im trying to retain it mostly stock and the original orange color. I'm just over the hill in mountain view.

I hope to meet you on the road next year sometime!

I'm just over the hill. I frequent the other side all the time so I'm sure our trucks will bump into each other. If you need any suggestions for sourcing original parts locally, PM me

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8054426)
Mike--apologies for being late to the congrats...can't believe I missed this most important milestone. Congratulations!!!! Huge step. You're conscientious and thorough approach, your willingness to share, and gosh, lately your ENGINEERING are all to be commended. I sure have enjoyed this follow. You'll be spinning that odometer any day now. Well done!!

Hey no worries, Brad. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement through this process. I remember we started our builds right around the same time.. Feels like forever ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ironmike (Post 8054554)
Steering wheel in. I really liked how this looked on Ironcaine's.
Attachment 1683090

What is the steering wheel - Wood ? Looks good.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain it's this one. OER 3960722 Rosewood Grip

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-09-2017 11:12 PM

More unexpected issues coming up. I bought the rear brake line that runs alongside the frame rail from Inline tube about 3 years ago. The threads from the flare nut (towards rear) somehow got damaged along the way.

I was bleeding my brakes and a drop would seep out every minute or so.

I made a couple attempts to fix it, but still no dice.. I couldn't get a good enough double flare to keep a good seal. The flaring tool I have works well for Steel lines, but stainless is much harder.

Luckily, here in town we have a big industrial hose shop. Took my line down there for them to do it. Took about 10 minutes 20 bucks. Went home and put the line back in and filled the MC.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my windshield put in. The place I'm taking to is less than 2 miles away and I'll have to drive it there. So hopefully my brakes work. They were the only place that could order a Pilkington brand. I must of called a dozen places including online and no one could get one. The reason I wanted Pilkington is after talking with Wes from Classic Heart Beat he had the most success with them compared to others.

SeventyOne 10-10-2017 07:41 PM

Let's see that sexy windshield!

Tom Vogel 10-15-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 8057623)
More unexpected issues coming up. I bought the rear brake line that runs alongside the frame rail from Inline tube about 3 years ago. The threads from the flare nut (towards rear) somehow got damaged along the way.

I was bleeding my brakes and a drop would seep out every minute or so.

Pilkington is the only way to go .

I made a couple attempts to fix it, but still no dice.. I couldn't get a good enough double flare to keep a good seal. The flaring tool I have works well for Steel lines, but stainless is much harder.

Luckily, here in town we have a big industrial hose shop. Took my line down there for them to do it. Took about 10 minutes 20 bucks. Went home and put the line back in and filled the MC.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my windshield put in. The place I'm taking to is less than 2 miles away and I'll have to drive it there. So hopefully my brakes work. They were the only place that could order a Pilkington brand. I must of called a dozen places including online and no one could get one. The reason I wanted Pilkington is after talking with Wes from Classic Heart Beat he had the most success with them compared to others.

Posted via Mobile Device

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-25-2017 03:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm trying to get the K5 ready to debut at a local car show here in Santa Cruz - Hot Rods on the Beach on Nov 4th

I'll try to recap what has happened in the last 4 weeks with pics and details.

So here goes.

My mother has now officially contributed to the build and one of the most detailed parts I must say.

I took apart my old door panels and used 3M's Rosewood Di Noc vinyl to replace the old grain. This way it matches the steering wheel. I held the heat gun while she carefully laid it down. The corners where really hard to lay flat so we made a slight cut down the apex (edge) of each corner and heated it up to conform together.

I repainted the door panels using OER's paint which said it was specific for GM 67-78 or something like that. Cant remember exactly.

Attachment 1702034 Attachment 1702035
Attachment 1702036Attachment 1702037
Attachment 1702038

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-25-2017 04:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I ordered a complete new set of lower side panels through Mar-K. With the steering wheel and door panels redone using the rosewood 3m di noc, I just felt that it would look off with the original wood grain used on the lower side panels so I decided to change them all to match.

The 3M Di Noc rosewood grain start out at 4' wide x 1' length and the grain runs length wise not width,

In order to have the grain run the length of the tail gate band and lower panels, I had to order a 4'X7'... Let just say I have enough left over to do 2-3 more of these lol

Attachment 1702050
Attachment 1702046 Attachment 1702047
Attachment 1702048Attachment 1702049

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-25-2017 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more pics

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-25-2017 04:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Windshield is installed using original trim and precision weather strip. The local auto glass shop did a great job. I used Pilkington for the glass. My original had a crack in it from disassembly.
Attachment 1702054

After that I took it down the street to get the mufflers installed. I went with Magnaflows 4x9 - 2 1/2" center / offset. No balancer for now. I wanted to see how it sounds with straight through mufflers. ( I would recommend offset/offset so you can make a straight shot with the piping over the transfer case ) But we made it work.

Attachment 1702055 Attachment 1702056

Next stop was alignment.
Attachment 1702057

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-25-2017 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The engine runs great and sounds even better! The roller cam in this engine sounds like its pissed off! :metal:

The timing is set to 36 degrees total advance and 11 degrees at initial timing. The choke takes longer than normal to turn off, but I think that might be because the thermostat that is on there is set for a lower temp or maybe higher (I'll have to look into to that at some point)

She stops, drives straight, and handles better than when I first bought it 12 years ago.

So far I have about 140 miles on it.

Yesterday, I took it back to the body shop for the final cut and polish and to make some adjustments on the hood to line up. I also scratched the **** out of the tailgate putting it on so that will get completely redone. I'll have it back this Saturday and then I can finish the rest of the exterior cosmetics.. (dog dish caps, emblems, tail gate trim, lower side panels, spare tire, etc).. Dwayne, once again hooked it up with the correct hardware I need to mount my spare tire behind the seat.

Speaking of those dog dish caps... Is there a trick to get them on? I feel like I'm going to crack them if I press to hard.. I'm also thinking the powder coating might be a little too thick?

If you look closely you can see my dog riding shotgun (His name is Kade) I had my plates named after him and added a 5 to make it a KADE5.. At first, I told myself no way, but he spent just as many hours underneath this truck as I did, completely useless when it came to lending a hand, but he did provide moral support!

Attachment 1702059

Attachment 1702060 Attachment 1702061

Attachment 1702062

SeventyOne 10-25-2017 07:19 PM

So awesome. I didnt realize you bought the truck 12 years ago.

You see my truck at the shop? are they done yet? :waah:

72K5CSTDarkOlive 10-25-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8068423)
So awesome. I didnt realize you bought the truck 12 years ago.

You see my truck at the shop? are they done yet? :waah:

I did. I'll text you the details

DeadheadNM 10-26-2017 07:31 AM

That has to be seriously rewarding. Big congrats. The Blazer looks great and the black plate couldn't be cooler. Keep the pics coming!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-03-2017 04:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I can officially announce the K5 is finished.

It was 3 1/2 years ago I started this journey of restoring my Blazer. The initial project started out as a mechanical overhaul that quickly led me down a rabbits hole and the next thing I knew the body came off the frame.

I had no idea what I was doing or getting myself into. Growing up as a kid I always wanted to own a muscle car and learn how to work on them. My father never owned or had any experience working on classic cars, which led me to learn everything on my own.

This experience has taught me so much and the knowledge I gained is invaluable. I hope one day do something like this again with my son or daughter (if she's into that) and pass this knowledge down on them.

I can't thank this board enough. The information and the willingness of other members to provide help is invaluable. There would have been no way for me to do this without it.

So for that, I want to thank all of you for the support, help and compliments over these last 3 years.

Here some pics of my road trip down to Big Sur.

Attachment 1704403 Attachment 1704404
Attachment 1704405 Attachment 1704406
Attachment 1704407

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-03-2017 04:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more pics

Attachment 1704408 Attachment 1704409
Attachment 1704410 Attachment 1704412
Attachment 1704413

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-03-2017 04:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more

Attachment 1704414 Attachment 1704415 Attachment 1704416

Gillnetter 11-03-2017 05:40 PM

Blazer looks great! Time to enjoy it.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-03-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillnetter (Post 8074621)
Blazer looks great! Time to enjoy it.

Thank you. I was planning to take it to its first car show tomorrow but we have rain in the forecast.

DeadheadNM 11-03-2017 08:26 PM

Whoa!! Congrats! How about some interior pics?

Ol Blue K20 11-03-2017 10:37 PM

Absolutely gorgeous, congratulations on the finish. I have only done that ride on my Harley a few times. Lots of pretty scenery.

DeadheadNM 11-03-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8074715)
Whoa!! Congrats! How about some interior pics?

PS: re post #568 the photo of the ebrake cables. My ebrake cable coming from the cab lacks the hole to accommodate the spring that is suspended from the undersurface of the pan and it's a replacement from In Line Tube. I notice that your spring does join the cable. Did your cable come from ILT and if so was there a hole to acccomodate the spring? The bridging cable to WAY too long and the first set of rear brake cables were for a 3/4t application.

briank 11-04-2017 09:28 AM

Wow does that look sweet!!! Question about the black plate though. Didnt the blue and yellow ones start in 1970? Only reason I ask is I have a 1970 Gmc jimmy bought from original owners family that lived its life in southern Cali and I have the original plates ( I think) from day one and theyre the blue yellow ones. I run them currently even though I live in Illinois and we can run year of manufacture on it ( vehicle code doesnt say they have to be Illinois year of manufacture��) Figured youre from Cali and should be able to answer.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-06-2017 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8074847)
PS: re post #568 the photo of the ebrake cables. My ebrake cable coming from the cab lacks the hole to accommodate the spring that is suspended from the undersurface of the pan and it's a replacement from In Line Tube. I notice that your spring does join the cable. Did your cable come from ILT and if so was there a hole to acccomodate the spring? The bridging cable to WAY too long and the first set of rear brake cables were for a 3/4t application.

Pete - Mine came from Inline Tube via Wes at Classic Heart Beat. It did have the hole for the spring to hook into. Here's a close up pic. Is this what you're talking about?

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-06-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briank (Post 8074983)
Wow does that look sweet!!! Question about the black plate though. Didnt the blue and yellow ones start in 1970? Only reason I ask is I have a 1970 Gmc jimmy bought from original owners family that lived its life in southern Cali and I have the original plates ( I think) from day one and theyre the blue yellow ones. I run them currently even though I live in Illinois and we can run year of manufacture on it ( vehicle code doesnt say they have to be Illinois year of manufacture��) Figured youre from Cali and should be able to answer.

Thank you Brian. Blue and Yellow for vehicles registered as passenger cars started in 1970. 72 was the last year for commercial vehicles. Blazers where registered as pass vehicles.

A few years ago California DMV started letting people order vintage style plates (black and yellow only) for any vehicle. I see a lot of people put black plates on minivans, prius, and others that don't look right and I just shake my head. lol

You can tell the difference in the font and spacing of the new ones like mine and originals.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-06-2017 10:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Per Pete's request :)

Rain held off for this year's Hod rods on the beach car show. It's a relatively small show, I think last year had about 400 cars. All proceeds go to the SCPD.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-06-2017 10:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
more pics.

DeadheadNM 11-09-2017 09:45 AM

I've been ogling the pics for the last two days. Fantastic job! Thanks for having us aboard over these last few years. I learned a lot from your build and I suspect others will draw upon this thread for future blazer builds. How's the Blazer being received - any thumbs up along your travels?

Inline definitely sent me the wrong cables. Thanks for posting your cable pic. The threaded end on mine is now drilled out and the intermediate cable cut and capped.

Ol Blue K20 11-09-2017 11:00 AM

Gorgeous pics, it looks great in the sun. Even the dog looks proud!

GMC-YA68 11-09-2017 05:27 PM

congrats, she is badazz!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 11-11-2017 09:13 AM

Thank you guys!

@Pete
I've been getting a lot of compliments and thumbs up while driving. The most common feedback I'm hearing is about the color. People really love Dark Olive

Bummer about Inline Tube. That's frustrating.

DeadheadNM 11-11-2017 10:42 AM

My GMC pickup still has its oem dark olive poly. Pictures can't really capture how it appears in daylight. It's a really pretty color with gold accents that really sparkle.

Tom Vogel 11-12-2017 01:40 PM

Are those seat backs repops? They look very nice. Did they fit well?

IronCanine 11-13-2017 09:14 AM

OMG...I'm off the site for a week and everyone throws it down!!!! Mike, My Boy!!! Congrats. You did it! What a result. I have so enjoyed this follow. Outstanding work. You should be so proud. Thank you so much for sharing the process. Hard work, perseverance, and attention to detail. She's a beaut.

PS It has been my experience that the best restorations restore the soul as well.

prorat56 11-17-2017 12:11 AM

Awesome job!! Truck is beautiful!!!!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-17-2018 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 8080668)
Are those seat backs repops? They look very nice. Did they fit well?

Thank you, Tom. Regarding seat backs, Not sure. They came with the truck when I bought it 12 years ago.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-17-2018 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8081310)
OMG...I'm off the site for a week and everyone throws it down!!!! Mike, My Boy!!! Congrats. You did it! What a result. I have so enjoyed this follow. Outstanding work. You should be so proud. Thank you so much for sharing the process. Hard work, perseverance, and attention to detail. She's a beaut.

PS It has been my experience that the best restorations restore the soul as well.

Thanks Brad! I appreciate all the support you've shown through the entire process of my build. And, you're right I feel like my soul has been restored.. I couldn't be more happier with the result..

Quote:

Originally Posted by prorat56 (Post 8084239)
Awesome job!! Truck is beautiful!!!!

Thanks Porat!

So far, I have logged over 1500 miles on her and put the top on a few weeks ago. I'll try to get some pics over the next week or so in the sun to share.

rcrahn 06-29-2018 11:35 AM

Hello Mike, the blazer looks stunning. Great job! It has to be a blast to drive around the coast with the top off. Congratulations!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-03-2018 11:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcrahn (Post 8291178)
Hello Mike, the blazer looks stunning. Great job! It has to be a blast to drive around the coast with the top off. Congratulations!

Thank you! It's been a blast for sure. I finished late October and had a chance to drive around with the top off for a couple months before putting the top back on.

The one with the ocean in the background is in Monterey.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-04-2018 12:16 AM

Unfortunately, I ran into major problems with the engine that came from West Coast Engines. One day, I started the motor and heard a loud knocking noise and checked to see what was going on and noticed a big crack in my valve cover.

After pulling the engine and taking it apart, we noticed several problems.
1. Camshaft damage
2. Signs of Detonation
3. Obvious sign of head gasket leaking
4. Cam bearing having excessive wear (1500 miles on this engine)

Bottom line I don't trust this engine and I refuse to slap bandaids on it. I have local shop building my new engine.

We are starting with a Dart SHP small block 400 with 350 mains. It's going to be a 427 stroker mated to a 4L80e. The trans came out of a 2000's Yukon 2500 series 6 Liter. I have another local guy building the transmission for me.

I am going to start an engine build thread in the appropriate section so in case you all want to follow it, I'll post a link to it.

lks dcvn 07-04-2018 04:24 PM

Bummer about the motor - it sounds like you have a solid plan though and it will be better in the long run.

I just looked through this build thread and picked up a few tips for my projects. The truck looks great and makes me miss the dark olive 69 4x4 that I sold a few years back. The color never 'popped' on it like yours though. Very nice!

IronCanine 07-04-2018 04:45 PM

Mike...outstanding pics with the top on... it looks great. I am so sorry to hear about the motor. You have a great attitude about it. Sounds like the new combo will be killer. I'll look forward to following the new progress. Hope it all goes smoothly. You deserve a break in that department.