The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project '64 Cheapskate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=446527)

Low Elco 03-17-2014 08:14 AM

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

LS that SOB. You know you want to.

PS- A thousand curses on you for telling me about it. I know a garage in Missouri it'd look good in. Thanks. Thanks a lot. Like I don't have enough going on. ;)

Jason's '72 03-21-2014 11:10 PM

That floor and the bumper came out great, Alex!

bj383ss 03-22-2014 06:38 AM

Bed looks awesome. Interesting to see you use the saddle tanks. My grandpa had a 79 3/4 ton that had the saddle tanks and the electric switch. The cool thing about those is the gas gauge works on both tanks. He also had a 72 GMC that had the manual switch for saddle tanks and always had to track mileage to see when the tanks would be empty.

Your 83 sounds awesome. Too bad of all the smog stuff. I second the vote on an LS1 in it.

Bret

chevyrestoguy 03-22-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason's '72 (Post 6588157)
That floor and the bumper came out great, Alex!

Thanks, Jason. Right now, everything is in a mock-up stage and when the fab work is completed, all of the bed and tank parts will all get blown apart and painted. I' was hesitant to post any pictures of what I'm doing right now because even in the fab stage, it looks awful. All of the rust and dirt makes it look like I'm building a Rat Rod (yuk). What's up with you, Jason?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6588399)
Bed looks awesome. Interesting to see you use the saddle tanks. My grandpa had a 79 3/4 ton that had the saddle tanks and the electric switch. The cool thing about those is the gas gauge works on both tanks. He also had a 72 GMC that had the manual switch for saddle tanks and always had to track mileage to see when the tanks would be empty.

Your 83 sounds awesome. Too bad of all the smog stuff. I second the vote on an LS1 in it.

Bret

The '73-'87 saddle tank theory is exactly what I'm going to use. The electric switch, the capability of reading tank quantity in both tanks, etc. I figured that I should use a system that is already proven and the parts are readily available at any parts store. I have resisted the notion of "out-tricking" myself by using as many factory off-the-shelf parts as possible. That way, if I'm out on the road and it breaks down, there's a much greater chance of getting it fixed and back on the road. When an ultra-trick part fails, you might as well call the tow truck, because you're dead in the water.

I thought about still utilizing the old manual tank valve as an anti-theft device, by having a battery switch connected to the valve. I decided against it, because it would mean that my cable to the switch (valve) would be super long because the battery is in the stock location. I would prefer to keep the battery cables as short as possible to eliminate current drop.

Jason's '72 03-22-2014 01:08 PM

Not much, just need more time! I know that you know what that's about! I bought all of the stuff to do my rear suspension, so I'll get to it one of these weekends. Might need a supervisor, if you've got some time. The beer's always cold!

bj383ss 03-22-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6588514)
Thanks, Jason. Right now, everything is in a mock-up stage and when the fab work is completed, all of the bed and tank parts will all get blown apart and painted. I' was hesitant to post any pictures of what I'm doing right now because even in the fab stage, it looks awful. All of the rust and dirt makes it look like I'm building a Rat Rod (yuk). What's up with you, Jason?

The '73-'87 saddle tank theory is exactly what I'm going to use. The electric switch, the capability of reading tank quantity in both tanks, etc. I figured that I should use a system that is already proven and the parts are readily available at any parts store. I have resisted the notion of "out-tricking" myself by using as many factory off-the-shelf parts as possible. That way, if I'm out on the road and it breaks down, there's a much greater chance of getting it fixed and back on the road. When an ultra-trick part fails, you might as well call the tow truck, because you're dead in the water.

I thought about still utilizing the old manual tank valve as an anti-theft device, by having a battery switch connected to the valve. I decided against it, because it would mean that my cable to the switch (valve) would be super long because the battery is in the stock location. I would prefer to keep the battery cables as short as possible to eliminate current drop.

I don't know if you plan on using one but I have a kill switch from my 6AL MSD hidden under the seat in my Caprice.

Bret

chevyrestoguy 03-23-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6589157)
I don't know if you plan on using one but I have a kill switch from my 6AL MSD hidden under the seat in my Caprice.

Bret

Hmmmm....I like that. Very simple, low voltage switch, very effective and stealthy. That's a good idea.

chevyrestoguy 03-23-2014 11:25 AM

I did some work on the spare tire mount yesterday. I wanted to use the factory spare tire mount location, and now that the bed floor is raised, I have a little more room to tuck the tire up and out of sight. I don't like the look of the spare tire hanging down when it's up and installed. I also never cared for the clunky factory spare tire bracket and how much of a pain it is to take the spare in and out.

The first step was to blow out the rivets on the two spare tire crossmembers and remove them. One of the crossmembers is the small u-channel one on the top of the frame, and the other is the thin sheetmetal one about 12" back from the u-channel. This now makes an open space that if you place your spare tire winch correctly, you can stow a 27" tall tire between the frame rails.

I went to the local wrecking yard looking for a suitable spare tire winch, and unfortunately, our yard likes to use the area where the winch is to prop up the trucks, so there were hardly any that were accessible. Lots of guys have used Ford Ranger winches, but I could access any, so I wound up using a mid-'90s Blazer unit.

I built a simple bracket using a section of 1.5 x 1.5 angle iron, and I welded in some tabs on both ends. I wanted it up as high as it could go, so I made it level to the tops of the bed floor crossmembers. I went a little over-kill on the bolts (1/2" diameter, 2.5" long, Grade 8).

I mocked it up, using the two aft bed floor crossmembers as the supports. I could have mounted it one of two ways. Either with the jackscrew facing aft, or facing to the side. I would have preferred to have it facing aft and have the end of the shaft extension wind up behind the license plate, but that wasn't possible. When I raised the bedfloor, the bedfloor crossmembers went up 2.75", but all the other crossmembers stayed in the same location. The jackscrew shaft would have had to change direction a few times in the 18" distance for it to work, and even with a flexible shaft, that wasn't possible. So, I decided to move it to where the jackscrew faced to the passenger side. The reason for the passenger side is because if I ever have to change out a tire on the freeway, I don't want to be laying out in the road trying to get the spare tire out. I wound up using a factory GM flexible shaft from a mid-'2000s Chevy/GMC truck. I haven't built the bracket to support the end of the shaft yet, and I'll do that today. It'll be a bracket that will bolt to the passenger side frame rail with a tube welded to the top. The tube will have a .750 inner dimension, and the extension will slide inside it. The end of the extension will have a 3/8" end on it where I can use a ratchet to raise and lower the tire. Here's a picture taken from the passenger side.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps5ed4b24a.jpg
Driver's side
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psda42f28d.jpg
From the rear looking forward
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psd725a312.jpg
Here's a picture from underneath. It's a bad picture, but you can see that the spare is completely tucked out of sight. The bed floor crossmembers are now the "stops" for the tire. The tire sidewall is even to the bottom of the frame rail. You cannot see the tire at all unless you get on your ear and look up. Disregard the old tire and wheel. I found one in my pile that had the size I needed, and this was only used for mock-up. You go with a large as a 27" tire. You could probably go a little more if you trimmed the frame rails.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psf5664b08.jpg

Next step: Building a trailer hitch. The hitch crossmember will also restore the frame strength that was lost when the two spare mount crossmembers were removed.

rusty76 03-23-2014 11:42 AM

Man I'm telling you....this stuff may seem trivial to some but to me there's nothing here that doesn't mean something. Everything is well thought out. How many of you guys thought of putting the shaft for the tire carrier to the passenger side so you wouldn't be laying in harms way? That there is difference between slamming it together and doing your homework. A+++. Great work! Man if I ever get to CA I'm going to have to pay you a visit.

flips72 03-23-2014 02:38 PM

bed is awesome:metal: and the spare tire mount..pure genius. great work.

bj383ss 03-23-2014 05:27 PM

That spare mount is just fantastic. I will be stealing that one.

And on the switch I have a B&M floor shifter that has the plastic base. It is right against the bench seat. I drilled a hole in the side facing the seat and put the switch. The wires run under the carpet and out the hole in the floor with the shifter cable.

Bret

Low Elco 03-24-2014 12:58 PM

Looks good! I need to get me a soultion like that, but I like a rear tank.

1963c-10 03-24-2014 01:07 PM

Great idea on the spare tire carrier....looks great

Low Elco 03-26-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6578826)
The '83 has been around for a long time. It's an original half-ton fleetside, black on black. I bought it from the second owner, and he had it for a long time as well. The issue was (is) that the truck had a carburetor fire back in the early '90s and it burned the top of the engine. The guy put it back together, but eliminated all of the computer and sensor wiring. It runs good, but it's not smog legal, and in California, that's a bad thing. My initial intent was to get it back together with all the required 1983 stuff, and that turned out to be a hassle because from 1979 to 1990, GM changed the computer and sensor configuration every year. I even bought a complete TBI set-up, and when I talked to the smog referee about retrofitting it, he made it sound like that was going to be a huge hassle, so I backed off. This truck would be the PERFECT candidate for an LS engine. I have had many, many '73-'87 Chevy trucks, and this is the most solid one I have ever had. Not one spec of rust anywhere on the truck and only 1 dent the side of a pencil eraser on the body. The guys back East would die for this thing. It's got dual tanks, a small block, A/C, a 700r4, and I put a 12-bolt out of a '73 in it. If it was a pre-smog ('73-'75) I would be driving that thing right now.

You may be interested in this-

http://bangshift.com/general-news/sp...rs-and-trucks/

chevyrestoguy 03-26-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6595981)

That's actually pretty incredible. The CARB is a huge money-grabber, and they seldom side with the consumer. I can't imagine how much money MSD spent to convince the CARB of the obvious. It's sad that the State doesn't throw the consumers a break all of the time. We've always said out here that they should check the vehicle at the tailpipe only. To fail a vehicle because it doesn't have all the stuff under the hood even though it passes the sniffer with flying colors is absurd. They get you coming and going out here.

The next step is compare the cost of the MSD Atomic vs. an LS swap. Might be pretty close when you consider the hoops the smog Nazis will put you through on the LS swap. Those guys are actually pretty clueless, and they've been known to nit-pick engine swaps to death, trying to find fault wherever they can.

1963c-10 03-26-2014 03:06 PM

Im sure glad we don't have to deal with those laws here in NC.

rusty76 03-26-2014 05:41 PM

But it sometimes seem NC isn't far behind though......

65Gregg 03-26-2014 11:25 PM

Alex, I got my care package today, thanks again for everything.

chevyrestoguy 03-27-2014 08:56 AM

You're very welcome, Gregg. If you need anything else, let me know.

KJSR 03-27-2014 11:55 PM

What's this "smog check" you speak of?? hahaha

I'm sure someday we will get it too but our county has yet to adopt.

LT1 Burb 04-03-2014 09:32 AM

Just went through 24 pages and love the truck, love the build, it looks great ,nice work.

chevyrestoguy 04-03-2014 10:23 AM

Thanks, LT1!
I have been doing a lot of stuff on it lately, and I'll be posting a bunch of new updates very soon.

I have been checking on your stuff as well, and I have always liked your work. You have an uncanny ability to find really cool parts and parts trucks. As a matter of fact, I'm almost certain that one of your old parts is on my truck. I bought a driver's side lower bed section (aft of the rear wheel opening) from you a few years ago. At least, I think it was you. The part came from Oregon, the color was dark blue, and it was from a '66 because it had the reverse light hole in the end cap.

TJ's Chevy 04-03-2014 02:23 PM

Look forward to the updates! :metal:

rusty76 04-03-2014 06:12 PM

I know you got some more updates for us....

LT1 Burb 04-03-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6609677)
Thanks, LT1!
I have been doing a lot of stuff on it lately, and I'll be posting a bunch of new updates very soon.

I have been checking on your stuff as well, and I have always liked your work. You have an uncanny ability to find really cool parts and parts trucks. As a matter of fact, I'm almost certain that one of your old parts is on my truck. I bought a driver's side lower bed section (aft of the rear wheel opening) from you a few years ago. At least, I think it was you. The part came from Oregon, the color was dark blue, and it was from a '66 because it had the reverse light hole in the end cap.

Oh yeah, that was from me. I still have parts of that truck, the doors are going to this weekends swap meet.

Low Elco 04-04-2014 08:30 AM

Updates, you say.... Hmmmm..... We shall be ready.

In unrelated news, Pete and Jakes open house is May 10, hoping to get to meet Pete and Jake in person and get them to sign my P&J book. They're both flying in. You oughta see some of the stuff they've got going in the shop. OOOOOO Bitc#in'!

chevyrestoguy 04-04-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6611377)
Updates, you say.... Hmmmm..... We shall be ready.

In unrelated news, Pete and Jakes open house is May 10, hoping to get to meet Pete and Jake in person and get them to sign my P&J book. They're both flying in. You oughta see some of the stuff they've got going in the shop. OOOOOO Bitc#in'!

I've met both of those guys, and they're both really cool. Pete is more of the business guy, and Jake is more of the fabricator/builder type. Jake actually lives just a few miles away from me. I see him around town from time to time, driving his old white Chevy van with the Torq-Thrust mags on it. I've been to his place and have seen his collection of cars and parts and it's pretty incredible. He's a real penny-pincher, and he spends his money wisely. The last time I was there, he was cutting up an old fiberglass boat that he got on Craigslist for practically nothing so he could get the Mercruiser 4 banger out of it. The Mercruiser 4 cylinders are essentially a clone of the old Chevy II motor, and they are popular with the Model T guys. Jake has a collection of '33/'34 Ford coupes, sedans, and trucks that is amazing.

Brad is good friends with Pete, and has done work for him in the past. Pete's shop in Pomona is a really cool place to visit, and on the Friday night before the LA Roadster Show, he has a really cool open house. Tons of cars, great food, old Top Fuelers cackling.....

I've always wanted to check out the P&J shop in Peculiar to see the California Kid and Jake's yellow '33 coupe.

rusty76 04-04-2014 04:25 PM

California Kid has to be one of the more iconic cars. Such a killer looking car.

chevyrestoguy 04-06-2014 07:32 PM

Worked around the house for most of the weekend, watched my Kentucky Wildcats win their Final Four game, and I got a couple on things done of the '64.

In my last set of pictures, I still hadn't finished the support for the end of the spare tire cable reel jackshaft. I wanted something that was strong and secure, was adjustable, and allowed the jackshaft to spin freely. So, here's what I came up with:

I got a cheapo 3/4"-16 rod end from ebay ($7), got a 3/4"-16 coupling from Osh Hardware ($6), used an old 3/4" flat washer I had, and made a bolt. When you get up to 3/4" diameter on a bolt, it's nearly impossible to find one in a 3/4 inch length. I had a long bolt and a castellated nut, which I ran down all the way to the shank and then chopped it off flush with my band saw. I fired up the Mig and welded the nut at two of the castellations. Now I had a 3/4" diameter bolt in a 3/4" length.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps629762a0.jpg

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the passenger frame rail and bolted it all together. Works great!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps6247441b.jpg
This is the view looking up from just behind the rear tire. Lots of room, and I'll have easy access to the shaft if I ever need to drop the spare.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3a15bbdd.jpg

I'm also doing a lot of advance planning for the next upcoming task, the fuel tanks. I ordered the sending units, and I should get them this week.

TJ's Chevy 04-06-2014 07:37 PM

Cool! :chevy:

rusty76 04-06-2014 08:26 PM

Looking good

Low Elco 04-07-2014 08:27 AM

Slick! I'll try to remember to shoot pics at P&J's. Hopefully I'll have something cool to roll out there in.

familyfast64 04-09-2014 05:08 AM

Incredible! I only hope I'm still going like you at ehmmm, 50! Lol congrats, nice build threads.

Low Elco 04-23-2014 10:18 AM

Hey, Alex, you might be interested in this- right up your alley.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6539761

Hope things are going well.

chevyrestoguy 04-23-2014 01:50 PM

I'm really anxious to try this mod. Right now, I'm all about bed wood and gas tanks, and I'm trying to stay focused on the tasks at hand.

My daily commuter is a 2011 Civic coupe, and I thought about pulling the seal and testing it on the '64, but I got skeered. Knowing my, luck, I would damage it while getting it off the car, and I would have to endure 125 miles a day of the door whistling in my ear.

65Gregg 04-23-2014 10:16 PM

I'm really needing an update.......

Low Elco 05-19-2014 03:12 PM

We know you're out there, Alex! Whass goin' on?

chevyrestoguy 05-19-2014 06:26 PM

Work has tapered down to a nice level, but the home stuff is really keeping me busy. We're re-fi'ing the house down to a 10yr loan because I was halfway through a 20yr loan at 6.4%, and it was silly to stay at that %. So, I'm knocking that down to a 3.25 APR. I cannot belive how much paperwork you have to provide nowadays for a home loan. It's crazy. We should close in a few weeks.

My house is now giving me fits with slab leaks. We just had one fixed a few weeks ago, and now it's leaking again. A few weeks ago, I had a leak detection company come out to pinpoint the leak. The worst $275 I have ever spent. They wound up being 18" off in location and the leak was found in the other bathroom, so the plumbers jackhammered two bathrooms to ultimately fix it. And they were tile floors, of course. Yesterday, I was shaving and I heard the hissing sound again. This time, I think we're going to fix it ourselves and not pay $1100. The house was built in '79, and that's what you have to contend with.

I have been working on the fuel tanks, and they're turning out nice. I should start posting up pictures. I'm really close to getting them painted for the last time. Yesterday, I did a bunch of welding on them and I still need to do a fit check before I get much farther.

The worst part of all of this is that I set a timeline to have the truck done so I could attend some events with it, but all of the house stuff has taken a toll on the truck budget. You gotta keep your head up and keep plugging along. We'll get there one day!

Jason's '72 05-20-2014 02:11 AM

Hey Alex,
Any chance you'll have it running for the Brothers show?

Low Elco 05-20-2014 08:39 AM

Stupid question: Don't you live in a desert? I've literally never heard of a slab leak. Or is it the piping in the slab? Thaaaat would suuuuck. Sorry, basements here. (If it makes you feel better, had to dig my last place up clear to the footer to fix hydro pressure damage. Oy!) Hope it gets better for you.