The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

pdxhall 12-20-2014 09:42 PM

Re: pdx-sanity66

4 Attachment(s)
I've only got 2 weeks to go and I'm officially RETIRED. :wave:
I hope to get some serious work done on Sanity for at least a month or so before we start our traveling adventure.
I got a little done on her this weekend. I finished the assembly of the steering column to the point of getting it painted before the final couple of things such as the levers and then finally the adapter and wheel. I got the epoxy sprayed on it today.
I also got the aluminum paint on my gas tank and will shoot some epoxy matte clear on it next.

Turtleman 12-21-2014 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear about the Retirement... LOL

Without exception,, everyone I know who goes into retirement never has any time to get anything on their list done... Most want to go back to work to get some time off.. LOL

Congratulations

pdxhall 12-24-2014 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleman (Post 6966531)
Sorry to hear about the Retirement... LOL

Without exception,, everyone I know who goes into retirement never has any time to get anything on their list done... Most want to go back to work to get some time off.. LOL

Congratulations

Thanks. It's going to be a tough job but I'm going to give it a go. We've got plans to keep us going for quite awhile. :lol::lol:

McMurphy 12-29-2014 03:07 PM

Good to see some progress buddy !!
Those kick panels look way better than mine, so I covered mine with carpet, some.

To me so far Retirement means every day is Saturday.
I have not set an alarm clock yet.
From now on I am going to be the total beneficiary of my efforts, not a slave to them for a pay check.

Every morning I get up and decide between what needs to be done today, and what can I do/get done today....

I dont fuss at traffic any more, the a**holes can have the right of way; I dont care because I dont have to be anywhere at any time.

This may be different for you, but anyone who has worked an On Call job will understand perfectly: I dont carry my phone with me at all times any more. I dont sleep with it, and I have actually set it aside - forgotten for days on end and never missed it.

I do miss the morning routine, and I may dig out my alarm clock for that. I have not been able to establish any sort of morning schedule that is as effective as it used to be.

Congrats and good luck with it, I think it is fun so far.

Hope your Holidays are rocking it man :metal:

pdxhall 12-29-2014 10:46 PM

Thanks, Mike. I have been thinking about this all this week. No more commuting, no more alarms unless it's to do something for me, and (since I have been working a graveyard shift) no more day sleeping unless it's to just take a nap. My biggest goal is to convert to become an early riser and take advantage of every day.:metal:

rusty76 12-31-2014 04:40 PM

Congrats on retirement. I looked forward to that day for sure. I like the idea of not having to be somewhere.. I work seven days a week. I ready now....lol. Good thing my job on the weekends is easy. Congrats again.!

markeb01 12-31-2014 04:50 PM

I've stuck with the same daily goals as when I was working - Learn something new, make a difference, do something that makes you happy. I'm done ruining my health for a paycheck. I only wish I could have retired twenty years earlier!

Congrats and good luck!!

pdxhall 01-01-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6979297)
Congrats on retirement. I looked forward to that day for sure. I like the idea of not having to be somewhere.. I work seven days a week. I ready now....lol. Good thing my job on the weekends is easy. Congrats again.!

Thanks Rusty.

[quote=markeb01;6979307]I've stuck with the same daily goals as when I was working - Learn something new, make a difference, do something that makes you happy. I'm done ruining my health for a paycheck. I only wish I could have retired twenty years earlier!

I wish I could have done it earlier also. We've got plenty of things planned for the future, though, so I'm really looking forward to it. The health thing was certainly a big factor in our decision. We want to get out and do some things we've always wanted before we're too old to.

pdxhall 01-27-2015 09:44 PM

I've been retired for a couple of weeks now and busy trying to get the house ready to sell, packing things into storage, and hauling stuff to donate, recycle, etc. I've also been trying to sneak some truck time in at the same time.
The house went on the market Thursday and sold on Friday. I've got till the end of Feb. to get the truck ready to store and finish moving everything else.
Truck progress:
I got the gas tank mounted for the last time, just need to install the sender and hook up the fuel line and sender wire.
I got the interior floor and firewall seam sealed with SEM 2 part heavy bodied sealer and then put one more coat of epoxy on the kick panels, front floor, and firewall. Next is the Lizard Skin and paint.
I got the distributor, plugs, wires, and carburetor on the engine. I still need to complete the plumbing, throttle, etc.
and I started bead blasting the kick panel vents. One more door to go and then epoxy and paint. The rubber seals are in such good shape I didn't want to mess them up in the blaster so I tried electrical tape to tape them off as I figured it would be a little tougher than trying masking tape. It worked perfect so I've got one more to do.
I'll post some pictures of the work later, the manage attachments link is not working for me right now.

duallyjams 01-27-2015 09:50 PM

Sold the house in less then 24hrs what the sign say free.

pdxhall 01-27-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 7022517)
Sold the house in less then 24hrs what the sign say free.

It was price competitively with the area but I also wonder now if we should have asked more, but we came out very well on the deal.

Bomp 01-27-2015 10:02 PM

Congrats on selling the house.

Hope to see you at some truck events in between all the gallivanting the country side you'll be doing.

TJ's Chevy 01-27-2015 10:06 PM

Congrats on selling the house. Truck is looking good as well. :chevy:

pdxhall 01-28-2015 04:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7022540)
Congrats on selling the house.

Hope to see you at some truck events in between all the gallivanting the country side you'll be doing.

Thanks, man. I definitely plan on checking out some shows here and there in our travels and maybe meet up with some members along the way. Even though Sanity will be put on hold (in more ways than the truck, I suppose:lol: ) I plan on keeping up on the site. I was hoping to make it to the swap meet this year but I might be gone by then. We'll see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7022549)
Congrats on selling the house. Truck is looking good as well. :chevy:

Thanks, TJ.

Here are the recent pics of Sanity from the previous post.

pdxhall 01-28-2015 04:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more.

clemdaddy 01-28-2015 07:37 AM

truck work looks good...congrats on newly found freedom, 2 more years for me. also, sounds like a fun plan, cruising around the country seeing the sights.
maybe you could pack a few sanity parts to tinker with, just in case you miss it.

did you get another house? shop? or are you going total mobile lifestyle?

Jeff La 01-28-2015 10:37 AM

Congrats on retirement and the truck is looking good. Hope you can enjoy the traveling and seeing the country.

Oregon 1967 GMC 01-28-2015 10:52 AM

Wow what an update. You have a lot going on. IF you need help moving or anything just give me an email. Looks awesome. You are doing it right that's for sure. Super clean.

Are you putting in air conditioning? Vintage Air?

pdxhall 01-29-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7023028)
truck work looks good...congrats on newly found freedom, 2 more years for me. also, sounds like a fun plan, cruising around the country seeing the sights.
maybe you could pack a few sanity parts to tinker with, just in case you miss it.
did you get another house? shop? or are you going total mobile lifestyle?

Thanks, Clem. Hang in there, that 2 years is going to go fast. You know, I definitely considered taking a few small things with me, but space is limited so I'm going to go 'cold turkey' on the truck for now. That may change down the road. And you never know, I might find something in our travels that I just can't live without. ;)
No house or shop for now. We're selling, donating, or storing everything we own that we're not taking with us and most of what we're storing is my truck and shop stuff.
We'll get another house whenever we get tired of roaming the country.
Maybe we'll make it out your way some day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 7023172)
Congrats on retirement and the truck is looking good. Hope you can enjoy the traveling and seeing the country.

Thanks Jeff, I'm going to miss working on my truck but we've been planning this new adventure for a long time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 7023188)
Wow what an update. You have a lot going on. IF you need help moving or anything just give me an email. Looks awesome. You are doing it right that's for sure. Super clean.
Are you putting in air conditioning? Vintage Air?

Thanks a lot. It's been a crazy few weeks for sure. No AC for now. I might change my mind by the time I start working on it again, but the original plan was no AC. I do have a compressor that I got with my serpentine belt system so it's not out of the question, I'm just not a big fan of all that extra stuff in the engine bay unless I lived in one of those places where you can't be without it.

I started bolting up the front sheet metal yesterday to make storage easier and I've got a couple of bed parts from Mar-K so I can bolt the bed together.
I'm going to mount the bed on a sheet of plywood for now so I can store stuff in the bed. I'll get a few picture updates later. It's looking more like a truck now than it has for years. :metal:

clemdaddy 01-29-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 7025177)
We'll get another house whenever we get tired of roaming the country.
Maybe we'll make it out your way some day.

hope so, maybe make it our way for the cruise-in. this year its on the 17th
of October. would be fun and we can put you up...

Clem

pdxhall 01-29-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7025199)
hope so, maybe make it our way for the cruise-in. this year its on the 17th
of October. would be fun and we can put you up...

Clem

I'd like to make that happen. We might be around the southeast at that time.
Thanks for the offer.

pdxhall 02-05-2015 04:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've been slamming on Sanity trying to get her bolted together as much as possible for storage. It is looking more like a truck than it has for several years. It's very difficult to stop this project right now but well worth it to be able to follow our dream and wander the country for awhile. Here are a few pictures of the progress. I'm pretty happy with the way the panels are aligning up. I made no effort to set the gaps but it's not going to take much work from the looks of things so far.

Bomp 02-05-2015 07:46 PM

Sanity is looking good.
I sure hope we get to drive our trucks to an event sometime in the next few years and park side by side.

greg65 02-06-2015 04:08 PM

Nice progress

63sbssbbw 02-14-2015 12:22 PM

Looking awesome
That is progressing nicely
Trent

ol_skool_chevy 02-14-2015 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
whats your plan on a sending unit for this tank....?

pdxhall 02-16-2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7035694)
Sanity is looking good.
I sure hope we get to drive our trucks to an event sometime in the next few years and park side by side.

Thanks Greg, I hope so too. Bolting up the body parts has given me inspiration for when I get back to Sanity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 7036768)
Nice progress

Thanks, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63sbssbbw (Post 7048135)
Looking awesome
That is progressing nicely
Trent

Thanks Trent. This is the first time I have seen how the truck's stance will look and I'm very pleased.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy (Post 7048179)
whats your plan on a sending unit for this tank....?

I'm using after market gauges so I'm using the ford sending unit and ordered the fuel gauge to match.

pdxhall 02-16-2015 02:26 AM

I got the bed together and on Sanity this weekend. I used some plywood for a temporary bed floor so I can take advantage of the bed to store parts in. I plan on putting the hood on tomorrow and then I'll post up some picks.

Ta2Don 02-16-2015 10:21 AM

Wow, it's been a handful of pages since I moseyed over this way...:roll eyes:
Lotsa a great progress… :uhmk: Congrats on the retirement… Sure hope you can make it to Clem's in Oct...:metal:

markeb01 02-16-2015 04:17 PM

Congrats on retirement and your plan to have some adventure while you're young and healthy enough. it's easy to become a slave to routine, and miss out on some real living experiences. Good luck with your goals and travels!

pdxhall 02-25-2015 02:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 7050775)
Wow, it's been a handful of pages since I moseyed over this way...:roll eyes:
Lotsa a great progress… :uhmk: Congrats on the retirement… Sure hope you can make it to Clem's in Oct...:metal:

Thanks Don. I hope we can make it too. Joanne has a long lost cousin she'd like to get out that way to see, also, so maybe it will happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 7051374)
Congrats on retirement and your plan to have some adventure while you're young and healthy enough. it's easy to become a slave to routine, and miss out on some real living experiences. Good luck with your goals and travels!

Thanks, Mark. We've been planning on this for a long time. It's still hard to believe it's actually going to happen. I'll be keeping up with the forum and I hope to meet up with some of the guys on here as we go.

I've got a few pictures of Sanity just before the trip to the storage unit.

1milkman 03-26-2015 11:32 AM

Awesome build....one question, what are you using for a filler neck/ gas cap for that tank?

TJ's Chevy 03-26-2015 11:48 AM

Nice to see sanity coming back together! :metal:

rusty76 03-26-2015 08:54 PM

So cool man. Can't wait to see it back on the road.

clemdaddy 03-27-2015 11:24 AM

sanity in storage... oh well, she'll be waiting.
maybe if you guys get time you will post up an itinerary of your travels so cyber-buddies can meet up with you along the way, just a thought.
be safe out there...

northern 85 09-01-2015 02:44 PM

Yes we want to see that tank finished! Stay safe.

clemdaddy 09-01-2015 02:53 PM

the last we heard here in arkansas was that bomp and murphy were going to make the cruise-in this october... so if you're anywhere near NW Arkansas around the 3rd Saturday in October... stop in... and help represent the great northwest.

Oregon 1967 GMC 02-04-2016 11:18 AM

What's the latest? Still hibernating....

LostMy65 05-15-2016 01:43 PM

What's up? :-)

pdxhall 02-09-2017 10:24 PM

Well it's been 2 years since my last post. We've driven about 60k miles, visited 23 states including Alaska, and BC, NW Territories, the Yukon, and Alberta this last summer. We are in Tuscon right now and we have just bought a home down here to spend 8 months of the year and spend summers traveling to the NW and other places we haven't been yet.
I saved enough on the property that I'm going to build a new shop for Sanity and other future projects. We're heading up to Portland in a few weeks to empty our storage unit, load up the truck to take everything to AZ. The main priority after that is to get the shop built so I can get back to the truck. No more cold wet winters for me.
It's good to be back.