The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

198plus 10-04-2011 11:01 AM

Re: MY build thread...

Nice Job, can't wait to see it finished.........

shortbed70 10-04-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4934361)
Nice Job, can't wait to see it finished.........

Yea me too. I'm not looking forward to wet sanding and buffing..
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 10-04-2011 11:14 PM

Verynice:metal:

Alan's Classic 10-04-2011 11:41 PM

Looks great!!

fryco 10-05-2011 06:38 PM

Nice job bud!

shortbed70 10-05-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4935560)
Verynice:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4935621)
Looks great!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryco (Post 4936922)
Nice job bud!

Thanks guys! I don't think I've ever been so nervous as the day I painted that and after staring at basecoat before the clear I was seeing spots and patches... Next day looked fine. He was the test subject for my truck to see if I could paint a candy or not... So candy it is for mine. Good thing is I already have another job lined up on a 37 chevy truck...Might have to extend my shop and make a paint booth and buy a better basecoat gun... Hummm!
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 10-05-2011 07:58 PM

that looks really good for your first time! i tried to paint a old fender last week to see if i could paint, it had orange peel all over, lol! it looks better now with alot of wet sanding, anyways keep it up, you'll get better and better!!

baggedout81 10-06-2011 12:55 AM

yeah it looks bad ass in person.Now just need to do my cutlass lol

shortbed70 10-06-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4937057)
that looks really good for your first time! i tried to paint a old fender last week to see if i could paint, it had orange peel all over, lol! it looks better now with alot of wet sanding, anyways keep it up, you'll get better and better!!

Thanks man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggedout81 (Post 4937743)
yeah it looks bad ass in person.Now just need to do my cutlass lol

Fork over about 2k for paint and we will get er dun...
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 10-28-2011 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Beds on for the final time... Its a truck again.

McMurphy 10-28-2011 10:48 PM

Great to see you post again!
Man I dig those wheels on there, those rims really speak to me!

shortbed70 10-28-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 4979258)
Great to see you post again!
Man I dig those wheels on there, those rims really speak to me!

Thanks man! The wheels kinda grow on ya but I'm wanting to go alittle bigger.. Plus these are already sold to my father in law.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 10-28-2011 11:08 PM

Nice :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 10-28-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4979293)
Nice :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Alan, it's probably the biggest plus so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 10-29-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 4979107)
Beds on for the final time... Its a truck again.

You see that black (what looks like over spray) above your rear wheel wells on the side?
It reminds me of a paint scheme I saw many many years ago at Ft Lewis.
Fellow had a matching pair of '69 P180 Volvos, the sports coup and the hatchback wagon. They were both painted silver/grey but from the ground up to about shin high he had black that was faded up so it looked like ground shadow all around.
Both these cars were painted exactly the same and together they really looked smart.
Since then I have always wanted to recreate that unique look, and mind you, this was 1983 when I saw them. So obviously the impact was real enough that I can still picture them to this day.

Congrats on getting you bed back on, going out to disassemble mine here in a few min....

shortbed70 10-30-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 4980439)
You see that black (what looks like over spray) above your rear wheel wells on the side?
It reminds me of a paint scheme I saw many many years ago at Ft Lewis.
Fellow had a matching pair of '69 P180 Volvos, the sports coup and the hatchback wagon. They were both painted silver/grey but from the ground up to about shin high he had black that was faded up so it looked like ground shadow all around.
Both these cars were painted exactly the same and together they really looked smart.
Since then I have always wanted to recreate that unique look, and mind you, this was 1983 when I saw them. So obviously the impact was real enough that I can still picture them to this day.

Congrats on getting you bed back on, going out to disassemble mine here in a few min....

Thanks for the kind words.. How did your assembly go?
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 10-31-2011 10:37 AM

I am currently in the disassembly stage.
I still have to find/decide a engine plan. I am looking around for a donor rig that may give up an engine to rebuild, or I may get a crate engine. Still on the fence about that one.

Up here in the Alaska interior my options are limited by both availability and expense. Not to mention the "country mind set" approach to some things up here.

shortbed70 11-13-2011 10:15 PM

Hahahahaha it's alive!!!! No exhaust but at least I don't have to push it..Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 11-14-2011 02:07 AM

Wow, that's a pretty steep hill up to your house :lol:

That's a good feeling once you can drive a project again.

shortbed70 11-14-2011 08:38 AM

Lol yea my phones camera for some reason decided to stay on a narrow screen and when my buddy bagged81 turned it,it never adjusted to wide screen. Oh well. Man I was shaking like a school girl on her first date... Felt good to drive it...
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-15-2011 09:14 AM

What thread/size is the bolt that goes in the lower front fender? I can't find mine!!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-18-2011 12:11 AM

Well put half my exhaust back on need to run the tail pipes next but thinking of a way to put an H pipe right after the xmember... Next thing is more wiring.... And maybe another longer short drive!!! To see if the tranny linkage is correct. Still hunting that lower fender bolt.....
Posted via Mobile Device

protrash64 11-18-2011 09:54 AM

Cool video Troy!!! I love that scary first drive......:metal: I'll look later for that bolt size, but I'm going to guess it's a 3/8's 16. I think it's larger than the rest of the fender bolts.

shortbed70 11-18-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 5016674)
Cool video Troy!!! I love that scary first drive......:metal: I'll look later for that bolt size, but I'm going to guess it's a 3/8's 16. I think it's larger than the rest of the fender bolts.

Yea it's nerve racking and excitement all in one!!! That would be good if you could find out. I need to chase my threads and clean them up but don't want to reap the threads..
Posted via Mobile Device

protrash64 11-18-2011 06:24 PM

Troy, it's definitely 3/8's. I'm unsure of the thread as I cant get one loose. My 'burb is up on stands and I cranked on it but its all crusty;imagine that!!:lol: All the other 5/16s hardware is coarse so I believe this would be also.

Alan's Classic 11-18-2011 06:36 PM

I agree it's 3/8 X 16. I just took mine out last week. I didn't measure it, but do know it's coarse.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-18-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 5017539)
Troy, it's definitely 3/8's. I'm unsure of the thread as I cant get one loose. My 'burb is up on stands and I cranked on it but its all crusty;imagine that!!:lol: All the other 5/16s hardware is coarse so I believe this would be also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5017557)
I agree it's 3/8 X 16. I just took mine out last week. I didn't measure it, but do know it's coarse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys...
Well took it out for a drive around the block and goosed it about 3/4 throttle and hit the rev limit then went to second and instantly on the chip then realized its stuck open!!!! Oh *#%*!!!! Killed the key and found the secondary mechanism over rotated and was holding the rear butterflies open... Left some pretty cool long black marks though... I have severe traction problems!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedout81 12-31-2011 02:36 AM

Dam we need to finish up the rest.

C@rnut001 01-02-2012 04:08 AM

You are building a great truck! Keep it up and hopefully you will get it all the rest of the way together soon. I love reading about these builds, since I am in graduate school currently (finishing my PhD in Education) and I can't afford a truck right now....I have to read about how you guys do it.... anyway, keep up the awesome job!

shortbed70 01-02-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@rnut001 (Post 5096494)
You are building a great truck! Keep it up and hopefully you will get it all the rest of the way together soon. I love reading about these builds, since I am in graduate school currently (finishing my PhD in Education) and I can't afford a truck right now....I have to read about how you guys do it.... anyway, keep up the awesome job!

Hey man thanks for checking out my thread! I know there's a bunch on here and some very high quality builds too so you he the best of both worlds with high $$ builds and my recycled junk... Good luck on school and then have fun
Posted via Mobile Device

fryco 02-10-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5097944)
Hey man thanks for checking out my thread! I know there's a bunch on here and some very high quality builds too so you he the best of both worlds with high $$ builds and my recycled junk... Good luck on school and then have fun
Posted via Mobile Device

Quit recycling, just buy mine! (No,really buy it) Lol! Gaining any ground on the beast over the winter?

shortbed70 02-10-2012 07:22 PM

Haha I would love to but can't afford it. I have gained some but between my compressor crapping out and side jobs I haven't done much. Need to paint the bottom of the hood and bed then wire a few things yet but I can drive it now just alittle breezy with no windshield! I have it just not installed yet... I will still take your motor and give you mine since your selling anyway....
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedout81 02-10-2012 11:00 PM

got the rear lites wired atleast

shortbed70 02-10-2012 11:33 PM

Here's the goal for the next few weeks!!!!
Windshield installed, body to frame grounds, fab alt mount, install hood and possibly paint bed! April first show!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 02-10-2012 11:52 PM

Good to see you posting again, hope you have some pics up soon too!

I think the windshield is going to be the very last thing I put in mine.

Tomorrow I start a 10 day marathon tear down of a '85 GMC Sierra. It is going to supply me the engine, power steering, and power brakes among other items on the list.

Hope to see your updates!!

shortbed70 02-10-2012 11:55 PM

I have some pics but am waiting to get a good amount so it's worth getting on the computer. Thanks for keeping track of my slow build
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 02-12-2012 11:57 AM

I've been thinking of a new paint theme. Candy red on the bottom and satin black on the top from the first seam up would be satin... Would be something different!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 02-12-2012 11:59 AM

Maybe someone can photoshop it for you. It will give ya an idea of how it will look.

shortbed70 02-12-2012 12:36 PM

I need to try to get on my laptop I guess and see if I have a picture on there. I think it would be different. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Posted via Mobile Device

fryco 02-21-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5179860)
Haha I would love to but can't afford it. I have gained some but between my compressor crapping out and side jobs I haven't done much. Need to paint the bottom of the hood and bed then wire a few things yet but I can drive it now just alittle breezy with no windshield! I have it just not installed yet... I will still take your motor and give you mine since your selling anyway....
Posted via Mobile Device

I might sell the motor, will the headers I had build for it. Ever since I saw that hot rod article about eBay cheapy turbo kits on ls motors, I've wanted to try it. **** I have a whole Magnafuel fuel system that isn't any good for injection either... I wanna make about 1200-1500 hp next time, get the old girl in the 8's.:metal:

About mixing gloss and satin finishes, don't do it. It never comes well. One or the other, just my two cents.