The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 50 roadster pickup build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=459839)

oldman3 10-07-2013 09:13 AM

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Quote:

Originally Posted by litew8 (Post 6303130)
Beautiful. :metal:

Thanks...Jim

oldman3 10-07-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpickup (Post 6303219)
oldman3, great looking pictures. Cool looking old theater with a great looking truck.

Shannon

Thanks Shannon, had some fun times in that theater when I was younger (over 50 yrs ago);):devil:...Jim

lv2tri2 12-07-2013 07:39 PM

Read this for the first time today and your thread is certainly one of the best, if not the best I've seen. I'm building a 49 and your time with pictures and description will answer so many questions. Thanks for the time you spent for the rest of us.

oldman3 12-08-2013 01:21 AM

lv2tri2, I'm honored for the high praise you've given me. There are so many outstanding builds on this site. Welcome to the site and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to PM me...Jim

longbike 01-04-2014 09:06 PM

Very cool truck oldman love the look, do you ever miss the 32?
Im dying to build a 32 sedan hotrod!

oldman3 01-05-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbike (Post 6450610)
Very cool truck oldman love the look, do you ever miss the 32?
Im dying to build a 32 sedan hotrod!

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah every now and then I miss it, and wonder how and where it's at now. As I've said before your truck came out super...Jim

oldman3 03-03-2014 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, wasn't going to post this, but after thinking I thought if might be beneficial to someone. Anyhow last week I decided to change my front shocks and springs. When I built my truck I started out with the stock style springs (see pic below). To make a long story shorter I changed the springs 3 times (275#,300# and 325#) and was never happy with the arm angle or the ride. So I installed coil-over springs and shocks. I used 600# springs and Pro shocks for MII. At the time Pro shocks had a tube over shock for spring collar, not a threaded housing for the MII. Installed them and was happy with everything. Got the arm angle level and the ride was good. Working with my son and on other rides we really like the QA1 adjustable shocks, so I decided to change mine out.

oldman3 03-03-2014 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This pic shows the old Pro shock and 600# spring.

oldman3 03-03-2014 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This pic shows the new QA1 adjustable shock and the 700# spring. When I talked to QA1 they said I needed the 700# spring because of the weight on my front end. If I used the 600# spring I would be going up to far with the collar to make my arm level and the ride would not be as good.

oldman3 03-03-2014 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I built my truck I used Heidt's economy upper and lower A arms, they were about $100 a pair cheaper that the tubular ones and are plenty strong (see pic below) The lower A arms had the stock spring locating ring to lock spring in place. With the Pro shocks the ring was not in the way of the collar for adjusting the spring tension.

oldman3 03-03-2014 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With the QA1 shocks the adjusting knob for shock, was right where the rings was, so I had to cut it off (it's a plate below, so no change to the strength of the arm, just have my clearance) Pic below of ring cut off. I painted the area with black paint to keep arm from rusting and re-installed, see pic.

oldman3 03-03-2014 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After installing the new stuff I took it for a ride, came back and adjusted the spring to level the arm. I adjusted the shock for a medium firm ride. Shock has 18 points for adjustment, 1-6 for soft ride, 6-12 for medium to firm ride and good handling and 12-18 for firm ride and better handling. I have mine at 10 right now, and will drive it for awhile before adjusting anymore. Pic shows how the spring and shock look now, adjustment knob at bottom of shock. Man I need to get this front end cleaned up, I just drive it and don't think about the road grime, but it looks bad....Jim

Kim57 03-03-2014 05:19 PM

Nice work and write up.
Kim

Bubba54 03-03-2014 05:24 PM

Jim, QA-1’s are looking real nice. I hope to use a set on my Camaro clip someday. Glad to hear they are working out for you.

Shawn

oldman3 03-03-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 6555797)
Nice work and write up.
Kim

Thanks Kim

oldman3 03-03-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba54 (Post 6555807)
Jim, QA-1’s are looking real nice. I hope to use a set on my Camaro clip someday. Glad to hear they are working out for you.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn, my son Mark has a Camaro clip on his AD and is also going to use the QA1 coil-over set-up on his...Jim

Indian113 03-03-2014 08:09 PM

Hi Jim, always trying to improve on something perfect!! Glad you don't have this white stuff like we do to drive in.

ChuckDriver 03-03-2014 08:49 PM

Great write-up! How does the ride compare to the old setup?

oldman3 03-03-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 6556063)
Hi Jim, always trying to improve on something perfect!! Glad you don't have this white stuff like we do to drive in.

Hey Ray, thanks for the compliment. You're wrong on the white stuff, we got 3" of sleet and 3" of snow on top of that last night. I spent most of the day chopping the stuff off my concrete approach to the garage. I'll wait for the sun to melt the rest...Jim

oldman3 03-04-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 6556148)

Thank you on the write-up. Ride is great so far, have only driven it about 10 miles. Need to take over some rough roads to get a better feel on the ride and handling. Snowy weather, sleet and rain, hasn't allowed for much driving. What I hope to do is drive a certain road, stop and adjust the shock and drive the same road again, until I feel happy with ride and handling...Jim

oldman3 05-25-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 6556148)

Well, I finally got some miles on the truck and wanted to report back. This Friday and Saturday I drove back and forth to the Mid-American Nats in Springfield, MO. Put on 563 miles, I've driven this route many many times, and all I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Ride is much better and takes the curves nice. It's still set at the 10 setting on the shocks, but I might up it to 12. There is very little body roll at 70mph on some tight curves, but at the 12 setting it may be better, but I don't want to lose any ride quality either. I'll play around with it some and let you know later how it does. Adjustable shocks aren't cheap, but if you have to replace yours, I think it's well worth the price...Jim

Indian113 05-25-2014 09:16 PM

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the ride with your new shocks. Wish I could have rode along with you.

oldman3 05-25-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 6692936)
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the ride with your new shocks. Wish I could have rode along with you.

Thanks Ray, wish you could too...Jim

Advanced Design 12-20-2014 11:17 AM

Jim,
I sat down this morning and went through your entire build. I know, pretty late to the party. Like many have mentioned you do outstanding work. And you've commented a number of times you have average skills. Ha....if my skills ever reach the level of your average I will be pleased.
Great work and I always enjoy what you and Mark post up.
Merry Christmas,
Doug

oldman3 12-20-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 6964734)
Jim,
I sat down this morning and went through your entire build. I know, pretty late to the party. Like many have mentioned you do outstanding work. And you've commented a number of times you have average skills. Ha....if my skills ever reach the level of your average I will be pleased.
Merry Christmas,
Doug

Doug, thanks for the compliments, and for taking the time to look over the build. When I say average it's because I've seen some work on here and at events that just blow me away. Mark and I both have picked up stuff from other peoples work. We try our best to make things look right. There's nothing wrong with your work, we all learn from others and that's the best part. Believe me when I say you will get better with each build, I think it's just in a car junkies gene's. Well I guess I should get off my :m5: box now. Merry Christmas to you and the family...Jim

solidaxel 12-21-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 6964734)
Jim,
Merry Christmas,
Doug

Yes I had the same feelings when I read his thread!
If you have the time you should follow what he has inspired in his Son!
He has picked up some very interesting traits with his build

oldman3 12-21-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 6965742)
Yes I had the same feelings when I read his thread!
If you have the time you should follow what he has inspired in his Son!
He has picked up some very interesting traits with his build

Thanks so much for the kind words. We both appreciated everyone checking out the old builds and watching the new stuff (Mark's). I only wish I could work more with Mark but life has me sidelined for the moment. Mark will continue doing new stuff and I'll help when needed. Thanks again...Jim

oldman3 01-17-2015 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys, A little late in getting started with some projects I want to do to the roadster.

1. Been wanting to install cruise control for years, finally broke down and bought a newer style all electric units (more on that later).
2. The seat in my truck is done in the old tweed material, and is showing dirt and wear from 11 yrs of use, so I'm having it redone in ultra leather to match the leather in the panels and floor.
3. About 2 yrs ago, I was pulling the truck into the basement and another frame was in front of where I park, anyhow I didn't stop soon enough, and knocked a large chip of paint out on the bumper, so I'll repair and repaint.

Now I have to do my projects in between Mark working on projects for paying customers, so some of this may drag out awhile, but will be done by early summer.

Here is a couple pics of the cruse unit. I bought it through Brandon Distributing, it's my by Smart Line. The complete unit including shipping cost me $249.00.

oldman3 01-17-2015 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple pics of the seat removed ( you can see the two worst spots on the front) and the empty cab.

oldman3 01-17-2015 08:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple pics of the bumper removed from the truck and the spot that was chipped.

Will update some more later...Jim

hotrodelrod 01-17-2015 08:47 PM

Great to see you check some things off of the list! Looking forward to seeing the Ultra Leather!

Advanced Design 01-17-2015 08:49 PM

This is going to be fun to tag along on! Wife says the interior on your truck is amazingly Nice, Jim.

oldman3 01-17-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodelrod (Post 7007757)
Great to see you check some things off of the list! Looking forward to seeing the Ultra Leather!

Thanks, hope it all goes smooth. Need to order the leather to match my stuff, hope to do that this week...Jim

oldman3 01-17-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7007759)
This is going to be fun to tag along on! Wife says the interior on your truck is amazingly Nice, Jim.

Thanks Doug, tell the wife thank you, and how is she doing, fine I hope...Jim

oldman3 01-17-2015 09:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Late friday afternoon I got out and started on the pickup.

Pic 1 removed the cover in front of radiator, etc.

Pic 2 This is where the new cruise unit actuator will be mounted. My son Mark came up with mounting it in this location. The cable will go thru the hole, where you see it now, then to carb. This should be the only thing seen when I'm done in the engine compartment.

Pic 3 This is the unit. I removed their mounting bracket and I'm making a new one so it will mount on radiator support frame.

More later...Jim

ChuckDriver 01-17-2015 09:22 PM

Nice upgrade!

Kim57 01-17-2015 09:27 PM

Very nice upgrade.
Your truck sure is nice.
Kim

oldman3 01-17-2015 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had made my bracket on Friday, and painted in black. So I went to shop about 1:00 pm today to do some more work.

Pic 1 The unit, first bracket is theirs, the second one is mine. Mark did some welding on it for me to get the angle I needed.

My brother in law then came to the shop and for the next 2 to 3 hours I helped him trouble shoot why his heater in his blazer wasn't working. After changing motors, etc, it turned out to be a bad switch.

Pic 2 Unit mounted with new bracket to radiator frame. Electrical hook up will come up from the outside of inner fender and plug into unit. Will show pics when I get that far.

Pic 3 another view

Jim

youngrodder 01-17-2015 09:38 PM

Good progress Jim... This afternoon, I put my 48 up on the stands I made to do some minor fixes this winter. Your interior looks really good.

Marc

oldman3 01-17-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7007832)
Good progress Jim... This afternoon, I put my 48 up on the stands I made to do some minor fixes this winter. Your interior looks really good.

Marc

Thanks Marc, I think the leather seat will make it a little better...Jim I keep an eye on your build, doing good so far...Jim