The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Daze57 05-09-2013 08:07 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

looks good

Number 9 05-09-2013 09:29 PM

Looks great.

Dan in Pasadena 05-09-2013 09:58 PM

Thanks you guys, but at best it looks ok. But I appreciate the kind words.

When I do the driver's door I will be even MORE careful with alignment than I already was.

Kabwe 05-09-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6059381)
Bam,

But eriously, I look forward to talking to some of you guys almost daily and when one of you says, "Hey, good job" it feels good. (I must be pathetically insecure, ha ha!)

Dan there is never anything wrong with feeling good, especially about your hard work. By the way the patch is looking great man keep up the good work.

Dan in Pasadena 05-09-2013 10:39 PM

Bam,
What about WHEN to grind? Seems like its easy to make the metal paper thin (Post #560 above)!

In hindsight, I tacked a moment too long. The lack of gas was effecting the weld, but I didn't know it. I was going through the flap disk too fast, so I switched to the thick grinding wheel. Worked better, but caused bluing - so I stopped immediately. Guess I gotta grind as slow as I tack, huh?

Kim57 05-10-2013 12:07 AM

The patch came out real nice.
Kim

Kabwe 05-10-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6062220)
Bam,
What about WHEN to grind? Seems like its easy to make the metal paper thin (Post #560 above)!

In hindsight, I tacked a moment too long. The lack of gas was effecting the weld, but I didn't know it. I was going through the flap disk too fast, so I switched to the thick grinding wheel. Worked better, but caused bluing - so I stopped immediately. Guess I gotta grind as slow as I tack, huh?

Dan I tack grind, tack grind, tack grind until the patch is completely welded in. Why? Because I find that this method allows me to keep the panel cool while I continue to work. Another benefit is by grinding between the tacks allows you to see where the other tacks should go once the panel is close to completion. You will not be welding on top of other welds which will also eliminate a lot of pinholes. Oh yes and if you have access to the back of the panel it also allow you to hammer on dolly as you go. Welding causes shrinkage (always) taking your time and keeping the metal cool just a allows you to keep the shrinkage to a minimum. But to truely fix all shrinkage and have to stretch the HAZ (heat affected zone - its the area that changed color during the welding process) by hammering on dolly.

Its all about how far you are willing to go. Some people like myself try to use very little to no filler, I try to get the metal that I have access to the back to only need primer as a filler. When I don't have access to the back I even more delicate when I weld in a panel because I know I will have to live with the shrinkage and use filler, so I try to minimize that shrinkage as much as possible.

I don't know what equipment you have but this is how I grind welds. I use a cut-off wheel on my 3 inch air grinder to know the bead down and then I use my roloc disc on a air grinder to clean it up and blend the patch in.

Dan in Pasadena 05-10-2013 02:42 PM

Thanks Bam, this is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for all in one place instead of reading bits & pieces in various threads and trying to surmise what's the best (for me) to do.

EQUIPMENT
I have a couple 4" angle grinders - a good Milwaukee one, and a cheapo HF one that has lasted so far. I have cut off disks and thicker grinding type disks. I'm thinking of getting a couple more angle grinders to keep a flap disk and a wire wheel on so I don't have to be changing.

I do have a cheapo air angle grinder with HF Rolocs - but since buying I've read those don't last. Have a recommendation for a good brand Roloc disk?
I also have a 60 gallon vertical compressor but I haven't run 220v to my garage yet - that is coming later this month/June.

In the meantime I have a little Senco compressor I use for tires and nailers, but it can't keep up with the angle grinder.

Thanks again for all your advice so far. Best, Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6063088)
Dan I tack grind, tack grind, tack grind until the patch is completely welded in. Why? Because I find that this method allows me to keep the panel cool while I continue to work. Another benefit is by grinding between the tacks allows you to see where the other tacks should go once the panel is close to completion. You will not be welding on top of other welds which will also eliminate a lot of pinholes. Oh yes and if you have access to the back of the panel it also allow you to hammer on dolly as you go. Welding causes shrinkage (always) taking your time and keeping the metal cool just a allows you to keep the shrinkage to a minimum. But to truely fix all shrinkage and have to stretch the HAZ (heat affected zone - its the area that changed color during the welding process) by hammering on dolly.

Its all about how far you are willing to go. Some people like myself try to use very little to no filler, I try to get the metal that I have access to the back to only need primer as a filler. When I don't have access to the back I even more delicate when I weld in a panel because I know I will have to live with the shrinkage and use filler, so I try to minimize that shrinkage as much as possible.

I don't know what equipment you have but this is how I grind welds. I use a cut-off wheel on my 3 inch air grinder to know the bead down and then I use my roloc disc on a air grinder to clean it up and blend the patch in.

Kabwe 05-10-2013 03:53 PM

Dan I buy the roloc sanding disc in bulk on ebay. I buy 60 or 80 grit. Now remember I said I knock the bead down with a 3 inch cut off wheel on an air grinder. Please don't try that with your electric grind it could be bad for your health. Do the best you can until you get that compressor hooked up. I have used flap disc on electric grinder but you must be careful as you know it can remove a lot of metal. I've also used a flap disc on a variable speed polisher I liked it because I could slow the speed down.lol

Dan in Pasadena 05-10-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6063407)
...I said I knock the bead down with a 3 inch cut off wheel on an air grinder. Please don't try that with your electric grind it could be bad for your health...

Why does it matter if the disc is powered by air or electricity in terms of my health? Seems the dust would be lousy for my lungs no matter how it got powered.

Unless you're talking about cutting myself? I ALREADY learned that painful lesson right after I got my truck and cut out an 1/8" thick plate the PO had welded into the bed. Cut the CRAP outta my index finger. Took a long time to heal that one.

Kabwe 05-10-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6063521)
Why does it matter if the disc is powered by air or electricity in terms of my health? Seems the dust would be lousy for my lungs no matter how it got powered.

Unless you're talking about cutting myself? I ALREADY learned that painful lesson right after I got my truck and cut out an 1/8" thick plate the PO had welded into the bed. Cut the CRAP outta my index finger. Took a long time to heal that one.

Yes I'm talking about cutting yourself. Those 4 1/2 inch cut-off wheels on electric grinders are thin and will break if youvput pressure on them or cut against the grain. With the rpm's that the grinder is turning and a break man watch out it could mean big trouble.

A long time ago I was cutting and got wanted to help it along and the dang thing exploded in my hand. Well 15 stitches later I learned my lesson. I was just thankful it was my hand and not my eyes.

mknittle 05-10-2013 06:14 PM

I also use the cutoff wheels on the die grinder in tight spots where the wheel might get stuck and break or kick back. The die grinder will just stop where the electric grinder won't.

Dan in Pasadena 05-10-2013 08:43 PM

Ok, I see what you guys are talking about. There's a sort of default fail safe with the air die grinder because it will bog down. Having not really used mine yet, I didn't think of that.

On the electric grinder, it seems that the thicker grinding disc would be "safer" in that it won't slice quite as quickly if it inadvertently goes against your glove (or elsewhere/leg) than the thinner, sharper cutting disc. But I'm probably quibbling over milliseconds anyway.

dubie 05-29-2013 12:14 PM

your build thread has been a bit idle so I thought I'd check in and see how things are going Dan

Dan in Pasadena 05-29-2013 12:24 PM

Thanks for noticing.

You're right. I was on a roll and then I got sidetracked prepping for a camping. But I'm back now (again). Still a few post vacation things to do - clean/wash the camper and truck, make some repairs, etc but I should be back on the truck's door panel repairs soon so I can FINALLY!!!! paint the door interiors then get the new door weatherstripping on and stop the terrible rattling.

I rarely drive the '55 for that reason & the lack of a dual master cylinder that has me being a "Nervous Nellie" - the stock single MC only worked fine for 60 years, lol.

Kabwe 05-29-2013 12:33 PM

Dan, are you going to drive it to the Brothers Truck Show?

Dan in Pasadena 05-29-2013 03:33 PM

Meh....I don't know. She's pretty rough. Doesn't really belong out there with all those Maxim models, ha ha.

Kabwe 05-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6096678)
Meh....I don't know. She's pretty rough. Doesn't really belong out there with all those Maxim models, ha ha.

Man who cares. I've seen many people drive car that are under construction. Actually some of those are the coolest ones to talk to a person about. Yeah someone always has to say something, but people always got something to say anyway. But you know how I feel about negative people who open their big mouth. They can kiss you know what. Drive your truck and enjoy it buddy. That's what its all about. Personally I would love to see it in person.

Its a classic chevy truck so it belongs.

JR25 05-29-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6096687)
Man who cares. I've seen many people drive car that are under construction. Actually some of those are the coolest ones to talk to a person about. Yeah someone always has to say something, but people always got something to say anyway. But you know how I feel about negative people who open their big mouth. They can kiss you know what. Drive your truck and enjoy it buddy. That's what its all about. Personally I would love to see it in person.

Right on! I always love the positive attitude you have Kawbe! Danno..... I agree, there are a lot of guys like me who would love to be able to just drive theirs around the block, you have nothing to be ashamed about. Chances are, if someone had something to say.... Either they dont even own a classic, or they didnt do any of the work on the classic that they do have!!!,
DRIVE IT MAN!!!
:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 12:11 AM

Thanks JR, Bam,

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of my truck. I own an old truck because I love old trucks in all the ways they come from show stopper to grungy. I get a grin driving her around.

It's just that it's not "under construction" or "a build" per se. It's a refurbishment (I guess) so the frame is still 60 year old dirty - it will NOT stay that way, but you know what I mean? If it were a "build" it'd show a clean, smooth gloss or semi black frame through the unfinished bed floor, etc. I'll be at the show and I'll WANT to drive her - though it would be the longest drive she's made so far. About 80 miles round trip from Pasadena to "Anaheim" - nearly Corona out there.

Should we wear a label with our board names on it? I don't any of you guys by sight.

Kim57 05-30-2013 12:55 AM

I think it would be great if you drove it out there. I would like to see it also.
Kim

Kabwe 05-30-2013 02:33 AM

Dan when I said under construction I was not talking about your truck.lol I mean really under construction. I seen guys trailer their projects to show. No engine or trans some sometimes only in bare metal displaying the work or the work that needs to be done.

Man you are light years ahead of a lot of us you can drive your truck. Enjoy it and drive it.

Its nice to see that JR25 and Kim agree. Drive the wheels off that thing.lol

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 6097842)
I think it would be great if you drove it out there. I would like to see it also.
Kim

Ahhhhh...the PRESSURE!:lol::lol:

Ok, I won't promise but I'll try. Now I've gotta go home and do a few things I've been procrastinating on...you slave drivers!

dubie 05-30-2013 11:13 AM

atta boy!!! Don't ever feel that your truck isn't good enough for a show Dan. You've done a lot of work on it, you drive it daily and should be proud to show it off. REAL cars guys will appreciate your efforts and will pick up on the pride you share in it.

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6098308)
atta boy!!! Don't ever feel that your truck isn't good enough for a show Dan. You've done a lot of work on it, you drive it daily...

Actually I only drive it on weekend Home Depot runs but it's close to where it could be daily driven. Compared to what it was when I bought it I'm REALLY proud of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6098308)
... REAL cars guys will appreciate your efforts...

I hope so... uneven, spotty rattle can paint and all! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 01:42 PM

Ok, so here are the few things I'd liek to get done on the truck before the show:

Finish the interior speaker hole repairs, sand/prime/paint door interiors, install door weatherstripping, install 3 pt. seat belts, R&R seat for temporary recover, install Lokar floor shifter and new tranny cover.

Not that anyone will notice the difference but it sets goals for me.

G&R's57GMC 05-30-2013 04:17 PM

A'ta boy Dan, you've got goals ! Now getter done. :)

I know you can do it just don't get side tracked with some more bling. :)

JR25 05-30-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6098545)
Ok, so here are the few things I'd liek to get done on the truck before the show:

Finish the interior speaker hole repairs, sand/prime/paint door interiors, install door weatherstripping, install 3 pt. seat belts, R&R seat for temporary recover, install Lokar floor shifter and new tranny cover.

Not that anyone will notice the difference but it sets goals for me.

Write in black sharpie on the sheet metal next to the items that you listed above with a box for a check mark! Everyone will know your intentions, and when you're done...... rattle can right over your check list!!! LOL!

If I was on the west coast, I would bring a cooler over and ride with you! Sounds like you are comitted now!!! ;)

Daze57 05-30-2013 04:45 PM

dan DRIVE IT - ENJOY IT AND IF PPL DONT LIKE IT - THEY DONT HAVE TO LOOK !!!!!

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 06:41 PM

Oh I do, and I agree.

It's just that shows are full of guys that know exactly what these truck CAN be made to look like.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the show. I'll be walking around so if someone says something I wouldn't like about my truck I won't hear it anyway! lol

Indian113 05-30-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6098990)
Oh I do, and I agree.

It's just that shows are full of guys that know exactly what these truck CAN be made to look like.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the show. I'll be walking around so if someone says something I wouldn't like about my truck I won't hear it anyway! lol

Dan, I do the same thing at shows! I'm so busy looking at other peoples vehicles I don't have time to sit at my truck and LOOK STUPID :lol:

Rude Dude 05-30-2013 07:55 PM

Dan go have a good time at our age who cares what anyone thinks. I say if you can drive it thats what counts! I see kids with rusty rat rods true Americana and I think thats cool they are enjoying a hobby, and they ain't blowing people up at marathons.

fabguy 05-30-2013 10:10 PM

not too thread steal, but when is the Brothers show?

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 10:40 PM

Sunday, July 8th.

Google, you oughta try it! lol.

fabguy 05-30-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6099441)
Sunday, July 8th.

Google, you oughta try it! lol.

thanks, yeah your right. lol

Dan in Pasadena 05-30-2013 11:09 PM

Just being an A-hole and busting your balls, sorry.

Guess I default to my "strengths" huh? ha ha. Do you think you will be there?

Kabwe 05-30-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6099520)
Just being an A-hole and busting your balls, sorry.

Guess I default to my "strengths" huh? ha ha. Do you think you will be there?

See Dan thats what you get for being a A-hole. Your google must be broke the show is June 30th this year, July 8 was last year.lol
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/images..._web_flyer.jpg

Russell Ashley 05-31-2013 08:57 AM

Dan, drive it man. You might be surprised at how many people walk past the show trucks to look at yours. There are a lot more people who can identify with a daily driver than a $100K show truck.

dubie 05-31-2013 09:02 AM

Hell, I'm thinking of loading my truck on the trailer and taking it to a show in 2 weeks, and its not even running yet. It's all about getting there and talking with other car guys and ladies.
Posted via Mobile Device

mknittle 05-31-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6096687)

I feel the same way. There have been a few around here that show up at events that are "under construction" I always book forward to seeing progress. And like Bam said "Actually some of those are the coolest ones to talk to a person about".