The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project truck dream 65" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510863)

lenguini 05-25-2014 12:42 PM

Re: Project truck dream 65"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6691294)
Sat down went through the last 4-5 pages to get all caught up.
Top notch all the way.

Thanks, just hope to drive it in this lifetime !:ito:

lenguini 05-25-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6691858)
Great progress, man. I have to laugh at the stack of wood and the jack. Been there, done that many times.:lol::lol::lol::metal:

I'm not sure I want to do it that way again !:crazy:

lenguini 05-25-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6692366)
Man who'd you get to chrome that trans :lol: NICE

Chrome....,that would have been much easier, trust me ! :lol:

lenguini 05-25-2014 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got my motor mounts modified. I spent 4 plus hours making the cut and channel piece to allow for the header clearance,,.I should have taken pics during the process but didn't have the time to spare !

I'm at an approximate 1/2 " plus now between the header pipe and the mount.:ito:

lenguini 05-25-2014 11:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I temporarily‎‎ installed the serp system today to get an idea of where the fan will sit in accordance to the shroud/rad.

I still have to get the ac compressor, pretty happy with the ease of the install.:ito:

dantimdad 05-25-2014 11:31 PM

Two questions:

1. Where did you get the serp system?

2. Do you have dimensions of the mounts for the tubes in your grill?

Thanks,
Steven

lenguini 05-26-2014 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantimdad (Post 6693111)
Two questions:

1. Where did you get the serp system?

2. Do you have dimensions of the mounts for the tubes in your grill?

Thanks,
Steven

Pm sent.

lenguini 06-06-2014 10:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well...,its Friday night the lawn is cut and laundry done so that must mean it's time for an update !

There has been some small stuff done lately. I mounted the rad (sort of) and eyeballed where the fan is going to sit along with my new A/C compressor,fuel pump,etc.

I thought about electric but decided to go with a 15" ridged steel racing fan with no-flex aluminum blades. Nothing is going to move air better than this one.

I also got my aluminum trans pan. Its slightly deeper than stock buy about one quart which will definitely help in keeping the temp down. I think my good buddy Chop' figured it was a new food dish.:lol:

Oh yah...the engine and trans are permanently mounted in place now. They were in and out a half dozen times, so it feels good to know both are in for good.:ito:

pdxhall 06-07-2014 05:05 AM

You're making great progress, man. That's a nick looking trans pan. I've been trying to decide on one. Do you mind me asking what brand it is? The aluminum should cool better than stock steel also and I want to have a drain plug.

lenguini 06-07-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6710194)
You're making great progress, man. That's a nick looking trans pan. I've been trying to decide on one. Do you mind me asking what brand it is? The aluminum should cool better than stock steel also and I want to have a drain plug.

Thank you,its nice to be at this stage....,getting a little easier and finally feeling like Im getting somewhere !

The pan was from CFR Performance.

Bomp 06-07-2014 12:11 PM

Must be a great feeling to be putting things on for the last time.
I set all the sheet metal on mine to get a look at it and take some pics the other day to make sure things are going in the right direction on the build and I felt ecstatic.

Your truck is looking Great man!

lenguini 06-08-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6710423)
Must be a great feeling to be putting things on for the last time.
I set all the sheet metal on mine to get a look at it and take some pics the other day to make sure things are going in the right direction on the build and I felt ecstatic.

Your truck is looking Great man!

Last time is a good thing, its been a long stretch to get here and now appreciating that I am !

Thanks for the good words, just checking up on your build and its look'n pretty cool. Keep up the good work !

Cheers,
Ed.:ito:

lenguini 06-08-2014 03:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sunday morn, figured I'd go out to the shop and get a couple things done.

Yesterday I picked up some header bolts and lucky as this style bolt is getting more difficult to find.

Last night I did the final torque down on the trans,bolted the flex plate cover on and shortened up the filler tube for it. The tube stuck out half way across my intake and could not stand the look. I like it a lot better now !
I'm going to get rid of the red plastic lock tab/plug and build a new one when I have more time.

So back to this morn.....,I put one of my wheels on to check for brake line clearance. As I suspected, the tire would have hit it so I moved the line to the front position on the frame for both.:ito:

lenguini 06-25-2014 11:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It was a busy last couple weeks. Almost every night in the shop after work atleast until 11:00pm !

More fittings arrived at my door and managed to get my rad support back, so I started putting the rad cover,res tanks,ac bulkhead, etc in place.

Installed the wire loom for the marker/signals at the hood and Bed supports back from the powder coaters which are temporarily bolted into place for the soon to be final bed wood fitment.

I just received my power steering res,rad hose/clamps and fan in the last few days ,so I'm back in the shop later tonight.:ito:

lenguini 07-13-2014 11:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Time for more updates...,I installed my rad hose's, Tuff Stuff mini starter, electric choke cover and more fittings and anodized washers.

Also ceramic coated the trans filler tube and installed it in place for the last time, still waiting for the knob and washer that a buddy is machining for its dipstick.

Don't pay any attention to the wax all over the bling !:lol:
:

lenguini 07-14-2014 12:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After several hours of prep, and repositioning the receiver mount as it was to high.....,I sent the trailer hitch out to the powder coaters.I just got it back and did a final bolt in.It looks great and was worth all the work !

I was going to go with a later Chevy power steering pump with the reservoir directly attached but I thought there would be clearance issues with filling it.

I ended up going with the remote setup that I'm mounting on the battery side of the shroud. The res was custom made for me by J.A.C. Specialties. All stainless construction. It has an internal baffle ,screw in cap at a custom height I wanted at 6 1/2 "total height.

So in the last few days I made a mounting bracket for the res.:ito

lenguini 07-23-2014 01:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I managed to finish one vent window rebuild, the repo chrome junk went back to the supplier, and happy for it. Nothing like the originals.

Powder coted and cleared with the new tinted glass installed. I had a few problems with the window regulator as this door was caved in on the outside and obviously bent some of the internals etc.

After a few hours, I have it rolling up and down well, glad I did this now before paint !:ito:

lenguini 07-25-2014 01:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just got my inners back from the shop today. Start to now,there are 30 plus hours into them,but well worth it in the end.

Duraguard on the underneath,with base,three coats of clear...wet sanded and polished.

Tonight I installed the weatherstrip with hopes of getting them on this weekend so the fan shroud can be centered and cut.:ito:

lenguini 07-28-2014 02:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Was a busy boy over the last few days. Got the inner fenders bolted in place ....no stress there with the new paint :thud: and started putting the front end back together.The grill is temp mounted ,drilled and mounted the rear cab trim.:ito:

rustbucket66 07-28-2014 09:33 AM

Very nice. Your attention to detail really shows. I hope we can hook up one day with our trucks and compare notes. I continue to follow your build, I like the fabricating and unique ideas you have. Keep on it.

NONHOG 07-28-2014 06:49 PM

Wow! Very cool. Nice going!

Bomp 07-28-2014 10:13 PM

Very Clean. Very Sharp.

Bigru 07-28-2014 10:33 PM

Nice!!

pdxhall 07-28-2014 10:47 PM

Lookin' purdy with all that shiny stuff. :thumbs:

lenguini 08-09-2014 06:24 PM

Thank you all for the complements, they keep me inspired. I'm really aiming for this project to be in paint by the year's end......?

lenguini 08-10-2014 10:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Polishing,measuring,tackwelding,measuring,cutting ,drilling,clamping.....................fan shroud now finally off for final welds.

I designed a system that will allow the bottom portion of the shroud ring to unbolt allowing the remainder of the shroud to easily be removed for any future servicing.

In the second pic you can see some reference points marked in black, they are for mounting tabs that will hold panels I'm making to cover the tanks on either side of the rad.:ito:

Dubnova 08-11-2014 07:45 AM

This is one nice ride! You are knocking this thing out of the park and the White don't look bad either. :metal:

SSpeed66 08-16-2014 08:19 PM

Hey Ed, who did your chroming, and are you satisfied with their work ??

Al in Winfield

Modges'66 08-16-2014 10:50 PM

Awesome work as usual!
I'm always watchin your thread!

lenguini 08-30-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed66 (Post 6804485)
Hey Ed, who did your chroming, and are you satisfied with their work ??

Al in Winfield

Victoria Plating and yes,the best in B.C..:ito:

lenguini 08-30-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubnova (Post 6797224)
This is one nice ride! You are knocking this thing out of the park and the White don't look bad either. :metal:

Thanks,getting closer !:ito:

lenguini 08-30-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6804693)
Awesome work as usual!
I'm always watchin your thread!

Thanks,I appreciate the complement !:ito:

lenguini 08-30-2014 10:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally finished up with the fab work on the shroud.I wanted a 2 piece for water pump change ,etc. later on.This was some figuring....,but worked out great.

I also had the power steering res bracket welded into place.

I build a temp press for an angle profile on the rad tank covers,worked out not bad !::ito:

Modges'66 08-30-2014 10:10 PM

Lookin super clean!
No fingerprints allowed!!!
Clean that up! LOL!

lenguini 08-30-2014 10:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So after a lot of sanding and polishing, I mounted the tank covers in place.Here are some pics of the almost finished product.

Also got my hinges back from the powder coaters, They turned out pretty good.Tricky job as you have to spay them fully open and then again in closed position. I was going to get them plated, but chose this instead:ito:

lenguini 08-30-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6823844)
Lookin super clean!
No fingerprints allowed!!!
Clean that up! LOL!

I was trying so hard not to leave any...and of course the dam camera flash showed them all !:lol:

Modges'66 08-30-2014 10:33 PM

Dude!
I know how hard it is!
Every time that you turn around, to gotta get out the Mothers and clean everything up!
I feel like I am doin it all of the time!!!

lenguini 08-30-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6823885)
Dude!
I know how hard it is!
Every time that you turn around, to gotta get out the Mothers and clean everything up!
I feel like I am doin it all of the time!!!

Tomorrow, Im heading to the beach to find a gal who likes to clean....., and will wear a bikini year round. Problem solved:ito:

Modges'66 08-30-2014 11:55 PM

You know what?
If she will wear a bikini all year round, she doesn't really need to clean, does she?
I am willing to bet that if she is always wearing a bikini, that you will soon forget about polishing aluminum...

lenguini 09-08-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6823997)
You know what?
If she will wear a bikini all year round, she doesn't really need to clean, does she?
I am willing to bet that if she is always wearing a bikini, that you will soon forget about polishing aluminum...

Found one.....what were we talking about ? :lol: