The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=512904)

clemdaddy 12-15-2013 07:57 PM

Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

i hate wiring... sorry, i mean i strongly dislike wiring. probably some medical term or phobia about it. but dude you are a wire maniac. to me its gotta come in a plastic bag and plug into something else from a plastic bag or theres no way.

you've got it going on modges. closing in on startup.

Modges'66 12-15-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6413648)
waiting on the start up video, I know its coming soon.

Dude! you are so right!
Tryin to sort out all of the datails, but I want to make a vid of the start-up!
I have already cranked it a bit without fuel to see if I had oil pressure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6414570)
I did the same front brake routing on mine a long time ago before the internet :lol:. So I think it is it cool too!

Do you remember the part number for the brake line that you used? I have to redo mine and can't find the PN for what I used back then....

BTW..Your truck is looking good and I know what you mean about the wiring. I did an LS swap on my son's truck and did the harness myself.

Looking Good!

Aggie,
I have no idea what the part numbers for these hoses are, they were in a box that came with all of the other stuff that I got with the truck when I purchased it.
I will try to decipher weather they have a usable part# on them, or not.
I had to modify the bend on the banjo fitting to get the angle that I wanted though!
Thank for lookin at my thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6420084)
i hate wiring... sorry, i mean i strongly dislike wiring. probably some medical term or phobia about it. but dude you are a wire maniac. to me its gotta come in a plastic bag and plug into something else from a plastic bag or theres no way.

you've got it going on modges. closing in on startup.

Clem!
It would have been a lot harder for me if my dad wasn't sorting a bunch of this out for me!
He has been making some color-coded diagrams for me so I just have to hook-up wires!...Takes some of the thinkin out of it!

Modges'66 12-15-2013 10:42 PM

I have been making some slow but steady progress lately...Not nearly as fast as I would like to be moving, but moving forward nonetheless.
I finally got the wire conduits for all of the wires to my doors installed, which was no easy task, considering that the reinforcement at the front of the door blocked this area, and needed to have a portion removed to do so....Man, I love plasma cutters!
I also wired-up my gage cluster with plugs that disconnect, so that I can simply remove it at any time, in order to address any areas behind the gages.
I also installed a hidden headlamp switch under the dash, as I didn't want to add any exposed switches, and retain a really clean look to the dash.
I used a headlight switch from a '95 astro, and made a bracket to mount it under the dash...It all worked out pretty slick!
Here are some pics!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/46/tbdw.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/5/06ni.jpg

Check-out my plug-in gage cluster!
BTW! It is always good to have a cluttered workspace when performing delicate work!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/9/nsb5.jpg

My hidden Headlamp switch...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/819/hooe.jpg

Some pics of the gages operating under their own lighting!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/208/zxb8.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/30/77x1.jpg

TJ's Chevy 12-15-2013 11:56 PM

Oooooooooooh! Looks sweet!:metal:

Bomp 12-16-2013 12:09 AM

I almost can't stand looking at your build. I swear it makes my brain hurt.
Cool stuff Man! Coooooool Stuff!

If for some reason you look at my build in a few years when I get to where your at and you say,"hey, he copied me." you will be most correct.

Looks Awesome!

McMurphy 12-16-2013 09:40 AM

I had the same issues with the door man.
Would have liked to see how you resolved it with your plasma cutter.
I used a step drill and a lot of curse words.... :devil:

I wish I could find those multi wire connectors you used on your guages around here. I did my guage harness with a ton of flat spade connectors and though I achieved the removability, it isnt as clean as I would like.
Yours turned out awesome! :thumbs:
I may revisit mine now....

Love the look of the shaved guage bezel too, so much nicer without all the controls popping out of them!!
Nicely done Modges :clap:

So what is next?

65Gregg 12-16-2013 12:37 PM

Murph if you will PM me your address I'll send you the ones from my Painless harness that I didn't use, I spliced mine back into the factory plugs. It still unplugs and works fine.

Modges'66 12-21-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6420429)
Oooooooooooh! Looks sweet!:metal:

Thanks man, these gages weren't my first choice, but they will work!
There will always be room for improvements!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6420451)
I almost can't stand looking at your build. I swear it makes my brain hurt.
Cool stuff Man! Coooooool Stuff!

If for some reason you look at my build in a few years when I get to where your at and you say,"hey, he copied me." you will be most correct.

Looks Awesome!

Thanks Bomp!
I am sure that you know what they say!!!
"Imitation is the largest form of flattery"

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6420831)
I had the same issues with the door man.
Would have liked to see how you resolved it with your plasma cutter.
I used a step drill and a lot of curse words.... :devil:

I wish I could find those multi wire connectors you used on your guages around here. I did my guage harness with a ton of flat spade connectors and though I achieved the removability, it isnt as clean as I would like.
Yours turned out awesome! :thumbs:
I may revisit mine now....

Love the look of the shaved guage bezel too, so much nicer without all the controls popping out of them!!
Nicely done Modges :clap:

So what is next?

Murph!
I just had my dad hold a wet sponge on the front wall of the door, and burnt a 2" dia. hole where the conduit came thru....and I cut it in small increments, so that nothing got too hot. Then I lined the opening with rubber trim channel, so that nothing would chaff. The entire process took about 5 minutes, with zero profanity!
I got the plug connectors at Radio Shack, they sell many versions, male & females separately. Or just google weatherpack connectors, that is what I was going to use!
Yeah, I'm trying to keep the dash as clean as possible, BTW, that is a stock gage bezel trim ring that I polished & epoxied an aluminum piece into to hide all of the holes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Gregg (Post 6421027)
Murph if you will PM me your address I'll send you the ones from my Painless harness that I didn't use, I spliced mine back into the factory plugs. It still unplugs and works fine.

Am I on the wrong thread?
Ha-Ha-Ha!...Jus-kiddin!

HAPPY HOLIDAY'S GUY'S!!!
Thanks for lookin'

Ta2Don 12-22-2013 09:33 PM

Recently got an offer from a bud, complete LT1 with computer and all accessories... Cheap:metal::metal::metal:

Gonna have to steal the ECM mount idea you are using...:lol:

Merry Christmas!!!:ennyd:

Modges'66 12-26-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6430760)
Recently got an offer from a bud, complete LT1 with computer and all accessories... Cheap:metal::metal::metal:

Gonna have to steal the ECM mount idea you are using...:lol:

Merry Christmas!!!:ennyd:

Very cool, Don!
If I happen to take the mount out for any reason, I will take some pics of it for you.
BTW, I hope that you, and everyone else on this site had a...
Merry Christmas!

flips72 12-26-2013 09:50 AM

wow, dash looks great, and the door wiring as well. bet it was kinda scary taking a plasma cutter to a freshly painted door though, and to do it with 0 profanity :metal:great work my friend, great work. and hope you had a great Christmas.

Modges'66 12-26-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6435239)
wow, dash looks great, and the door wiring as well. bet it was kinda scary taking a plasma cutter to a freshly painted door though, and to do it with 0 profanity :metal:great work my friend, great work. and hope you had a great Christmas.

Thanks for the compliments Flip!
Yeah, I did have to grow some balls to get the courage up to attempt the plasma cutting! I have been putting it off for a while, and I was pretty sure that I could do it....But, just not by myself.
I all worked out great, and was fairly easy... Just a little nerve-wracking, thats all.

Strodder 12-26-2013 10:38 PM

Looks great :metal:

Modges'66 12-31-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 6436189)
Looks great :metal:

Thanks Dennis!
Been working hard on it, but it doesn't always show.

coulter 12-31-2013 11:52 PM

killer work on the wiring man!! its a cool feeling when it starts to come to life

Modges'66 01-01-2014 01:08 AM

I have been working on a number of things lately, but haven't seemed to finish any of them....Except one!
My dad was sifting through all of the items that I received when I purchased my truck and found that I had a drive-shaft mixed in with various other parts...I had no idea that it was even mine, until he said "where did this come from?"
We then started inspecting it and noticed that it had all kinds of information written on it with a sharpy marker pertaining to how long it needed to be and where to cut it to make it the correct length.
None of which was written by he or I...
We started taking measurements of the U-joints and yokes, and found that everything looked like it would work, except the front slip-yoke was for a manual transmission.
We then started digging through my dad's stuff and found a front yoke for a 700R4 that would work with this driveshaft.
The following pics are my version of shortening a driveshaft.
I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this, but this is how I decided to attempt this feat.
First, I collected all of my own data as far as overall length from center of front U-joint to center of rear U-joint (I am glad that I did this, because the measurements that the PO came up with were about 3" too short!)
I then cut the driveshaft off leaving me enough to hold on to in the lathe to turn the front flange weld free....I wouldn't advise doing this in just ANY cut-off saw, but I know that the saw in my shop is adjusted to cut extremely square.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/843/16z0.jpg

Next I chucked up the cut portion into the lathe to turn the existing weld off to reclaim the front flange.
I measured the wall thickness of the tubing prior, so that I knew just how deep to cut to remove the weld, but not reduce the flange diameter.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/812/a8p0.jpg

A pic of the flange with the tubing removed.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/837/79b8.jpg

Next, I cut the remainder of the shaft to the correct length, squared-up the assembly end-to-end, and drove the flange on to the tube.
Note: My calculated length was derived from measuring the overall length at full-up postion, and full-down position of the suspension travel, then taking the shortest length and subtracting 3/8" for any axle wrap-up that may occur during a hard launch to avoid it ever going to solid into the tail-shaft of the transmission.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/841/0nxf.jpg

Then, I simply tig-welded it back together...I will be more worried about the factory end of this driveshaft failing than this end...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/703/zvdf.jpg

And finally, sand-blasted, painted, and installed!
Check this item off from the list of things to do!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/547/zbxl.jpg

Thanks for looking, and
Happy New-Year!!!

McMurphy 01-01-2014 04:14 AM

Happy New Years buddy !!

Drive shaft looks sweet man, I bet I know how you felt cutting that buggar... I am always nervous about making those point of no return cuts because you only get one chance to do it right.

Looks like you did.
Congrats, nice job :metal:

chevyrestoguy 01-01-2014 10:51 AM

A cold saw, lathe, granite table, machinist's blocks, and a TIG welder. Man, you guys don't mess around. Nice pictures and explanations as well. VERY nice job!

Bomp 01-01-2014 03:37 PM

Been reading up on the drive line chop myself. Great to see how you tackled it. In the drive line file for later reference.

Great Job and thanks.

Strodder 01-02-2014 11:35 AM

:metal::metal::metal:

Ta2Don 01-02-2014 12:30 PM

Great job on the Driveshaft!!!:metal:
Have a Blessed Year!

65Gregg 01-02-2014 08:39 PM

Will there be an issue with balance?

rustbucket66 01-02-2014 08:55 PM

It looks good. I worked at a driveline shop for a few years, and that is exactly how it is done. I couldn't tell from the one picture if the yokes were in phase with each other though. Put a level on the shaft that you have going through the yoke. The yoke at the other end should be the same level if you put the shaft through there and check it. If they aren't in phase it will give a lot of vibration. Also, the yoke could be on there 180 degrees different than it was at first. It should be marked on the shaft and the yoke before cutting it off so it goes back on the same. It may effect the balancing a little if it isn't on the same way. Might be worth a check on the balancer. Your welding is beautiful. We had a machine that did that weld on the yoke to shaft, and yours looks as good or better.

clemdaddy 01-03-2014 08:47 AM

nice job on everything. cluster light up, wiring through doors, driveshaft chop... it all looks great. you are getting closer and closer, stay after it.

happy new year!

Modges'66 01-05-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6444791)
Happy New Years buddy !!

Drive shaft looks sweet man, I bet I know how you felt cutting that buggar... I am always nervous about making those point of no return cuts because you only get one chance to do it right.

Looks like you did.
Congrats, nice job :metal:

Murph!
I musta measured both the truck and the driveshaft 50 times to make sure that I was cutting it correctly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6444919)
A cold saw, lathe, granite table, machinist's blocks, and a TIG welder. Man, you guys don't mess around. Nice pictures and explanations as well. VERY nice job!

Dude,
Thanks, but thats just how I roll...LOL
All kidding aside, It is hard NOT to use these resources when they are right at your fingertips!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6445350)
Been reading up on the drive line chop myself. Great to see how you tackled it. In the drive line file for later reference.

Great Job and thanks.

Bomp, thanks for the comments, and thanks for lookin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 6446551)
:metal::metal::metal:

Thanks man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6446643)
Great job on the Driveshaft!!!:metal:
Have a Blessed Year!

Thanks Don, you too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Gregg (Post 6447363)
Will there be an issue with balance?

Man, I hope not!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustbucket66 (Post 6447393)
It looks good. I worked at a driveline shop for a few years, and that is exactly how it is done. I couldn't tell from the one picture if the yokes were in phase with each other though. Put a level on the shaft that you have going through the yoke. The yoke at the other end should be the same level if you put the shaft through there and check it. If they aren't in phase it will give a lot of vibration. Also, the yoke could be on there 180 degrees different than it was at first. It should be marked on the shaft and the yoke before cutting it off so it goes back on the same. It may effect the balancing a little if it isn't on the same way. Might be worth a check on the balancer. Your welding is beautiful. We had a machine that did that weld on the yoke to shaft, and yours looks as good or better.

Yeah, ya can't tell from that pic, but I was checking to make sure that the two ends were in fact in phase with each other....Not quite ferfect, but I bet that you can't shove a .010" feeler in to stop the rock...
I figure that if balance becomes an issue I will take it to the local driveshaft shop for balancing.
The shaft had a very small weight on it to start with, and I turned the flange 180 degrees from what it was...
I have a 50/50 chance that it will be better or worse.
If it is worse, I will have it balanced.
My dad has done 5 driveshafts this way without a hitch, and the chances are that with MY luck, this one will probably turn out to be a problem!...LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6448164)
nice job on everything. cluster light up, wiring through doors, driveshaft chop... it all looks great. you are getting closer and closer, stay after it.

happy new year!

Thanks Clem!
I appreciate your comments!
I plan to stay after it! The weather will be getting warmer soon, and I want to drive this thing soooooo badly!

Modges'66 01-06-2014 09:12 PM

A few weeks back I decided to spray the insides of my doors with sound-deadener/undercoating.
The major reason being, that the factory undercoating was so porous that I didn't think that my sound deadening mat would adhere properly.
I purchased some spray-on sound-deadener from Eastwood that had an optional wand attachment available....
I purchased it and the optional wand device, and when I received it, I realized that the wand could be extended by replacing their 18" long tubing with, say 40" of 1/8" urethane air tubing, thus making it long enough to undercoat any portion of the doors an ease to accomplish.
The undercoating worked great, filling in the porosity of the existing factory undercoating, and also leaving a smooth surface to apply my mat style sound-deadener to.
I applied the mat to both the inside of the door skin, and inner door. A huge amount of work, but proving well worth the effort!!!
I cannot even start to explain how much improvement that this made!
The doors sound similar to a new car when closing, instead of sounding hollow like a beer can!!!
A few pics for ya!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/849/nb0v.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/17/9kvp.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/18/mtjq.jpg

Feel free to let me know your thoughts, even if you're not sure!

flips72 01-08-2014 10:23 PM

great job on the drive shaft, and the door sound barrier will be a great asset when crusing down the interstate at about 70.

Bomp 01-08-2014 10:48 PM

Great Idea.

Modges'66 01-11-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6460570)
great job on the drive shaft, and the door sound barrier will be a great asset when crusing down the interstate at about 70.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6460626)
Great Idea.

Thanks guys!
A lot of the stuff that I have been doing lately hasen't really make the truck look any different, but it is progress just the same.
I hope to start making some advancements that are more visual in the very near future!

McMurphy 01-11-2014 12:29 PM

Dude I can only imagine what it was like snaking that adhesive backed deadner into the door cavity like that.
Props to you for the patience and small, contortionist hands that must have taken !!

Rock on buddy :metal:

Modges'66 01-11-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6465141)
Dude I can only imagine what it was like snaking that adhesive backed deadner into the door cavity like that.
Props to you for the patience and small, contortionist hands that must have taken !!

Rock on buddy :metal:

Murph,
It was truly a PITA...
Hard to see in the pics, but I cut it into strips, peeled the corners of the backing off a bit, got it somewhat positioned, and then continued to remove the rest of the backing by pulling it out from under the sound-deadener.
You are right though, my arm-pits got really screwed-up, reaching that deep into the doors!

laynrockers 01-11-2014 10:21 PM

You beat me to it on the doors. I saw the same stuff from eastwood and will be also laying down sound deadener on the doors. I want to try and make my truck as modern as possible when it comes to things like this. Awesome build man keep it up!!

ZouchaR 01-11-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6456938)
A few weeks back I decided to spray the insides of my doors with sound-deadener/undercoating.
The major reason being, that the factory undercoating was so porous that I didn't think that my sound deadening mat would adhere properly.
I purchased some spray-on sound-deadener from Eastwood that had an optional wand attachment available....
I purchased it and the optional wand device, and when I received it, I realized that the wand could be extended by replacing their 18" long tubing with, say 40" of 1/8" urethane air tubing, thus making it long enough to undercoat any portion of the doors an ease to accomplish.
The undercoating worked great, filling in the porosity of the existing factory undercoating, and also leaving a smooth surface to apply my mat style sound-deadener to.
I applied the mat to both the inside of the door skin, and inner door. A huge amount of work, but proving well worth the effort!!!
I cannot even start to explain how much improvement that this made!
The doors sound similar to a new car when closing, instead of sounding hollow like a beer can!!!
A few pics for ya!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/849/nb0v.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/17/9kvp.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/18/mtjq.jpg

Feel free to let me know your thoughts, even if you're not sure!

Ok.. I found the product.. how much did you need to do both doors???

Modges'66 01-11-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZouchaR (Post 6466123)
Ok.. I found the product.. how much did you need to do both doors???

I bought enough to do the entire inside of the cab, but I am guessing that depending how extreme that you want to get, somewhere between 15-20 sq ft should do a good job on both doors.

Modges'66 01-12-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynrockers (Post 6466050)
You beat me to it on the doors. I saw the same stuff from eastwood and will be also laying down sound deadener on the doors. I want to try and make my truck as modern as possible when it comes to things like this. Awesome build man keep it up!!

Whoa, thanks for the comment!
I want this thing to not only be fun to drive, but also comfortable to drive....
I don't want to feel happy just to get the heck out of it after a log trip...

Modges'66 01-12-2014 12:52 AM

Since I have the newer style power steering pump which needs a remote reservior, and an older style gearbox, I came to the conclusion that I would need to make my own power steering hoses...
sounds easy, right?....NOT!
This is where I became educated in AN fitting hell!
After spending some lenghty time in the performance parts store, I finally got all of the fittings & hose sorted out, and this is what I came up with!

A pic of the pump from above...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/23/f2ty.jpg

A pic of the pump from below...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/560/9chi.jpg

A pic of the gearbox...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/707/33ie.jpg

And a pic of the reservior...and if you haven't noticed, I have started fitting some of the front sheet-metal!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/21/edpk.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...90/21/edpk.jpg

Ta2Don 01-12-2014 12:58 AM

Looking Great!!!:metal:

BWheels 01-12-2014 02:50 AM

I just spent the last 2 hours reading your build and learned a lot and am impressed and excited to see more progress. Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing.

chad64chevy 01-12-2014 02:10 PM

looks great, I had trouble with the fittings too! took me a day or two before I got all the right fittings ordered and wrote them all down for later

Modges'66 01-15-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6466377)
Looking Great!!!:metal:

Thanks Don!
I was really struggling with the fact of hunting down several sets of used hoses in order to make a set that had the ends that I needed.
I wanted to have something appealing to the eye, and not too prone to leakage, or failure...
This is not something that I want to re-visit in the future, if that is possible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWheels (Post 6466474)
I just spent the last 2 hours reading your build and learned a lot and am impressed and excited to see more progress. Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot!
As you have probably noticed, I love working on this thing, but I am also determined to do it only once if possible.
I also like sharing what I think are good ideas & procedures to follow, so that others can have an example... If that is what they are looking for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6467013)
looks great, I had trouble with the fittings too! took me a day or two before I got all the right fittings ordered and wrote them all down for later

Dude,
I stood in front of a wall of fittings for what seemed like an eternity before I came up with these...
Funny thing, I was thinking about your hydro-boost/steering hoses as I drove to the parts store to get them!