The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   67 Camaro Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751594)

7dee2 08-04-2024 08:42 AM

Re: 67 Camaro Build

5 Attachment(s)
I think so, steady progress continues to be the goal.

Lots of contradictory irrefutable evidence in the thread you provided. And you are right, the pics are great!

I know, I know, how many vintage green line pedestal tachometers does one person need? NOS, in the box with original hardware! I saw this on the local classifieds and ran right over to make it mine. :bann:

7dee2 08-07-2024 08:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Continuing to work brake lines, the intermediate rear line has just enough room to pass under the left subframe connector. It looks like it's running close to the rollbar’s rear downbar mount bolts, but it’ll clear. I'm not super happy with how close the rear brake hose is getting to the exhaust. It’d probably be ok but moving it further right would be even better.

Troy Sr 08-07-2024 08:19 PM

I bought all new SW green line gauges for my '55 Belair, but the tach is one that goes into a panel so I I bought a chrome cup for the back of it!!! I wish I knew about the tach you bought I would have gotten it!!! My '55 had old green lines when I got it in 1972 but when I turned 16 I changed them out with some cheap made in taiwan gauges!!!!:(

7dee2 08-11-2024 08:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
SW green line gauges are one of my favorite old skool gauges, for this project I’m leaning towards my updated SW 977j pedestal tach (1st link). That and some new reproduction SW deluxe series black face gauges to facilitate a cowl-mounted fuel pressure gauge (2nd link, more on that stuff later).
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...&postcount=245
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...&postcount=395

The front clip has found its way into the paint booth, it's go time! :metal:

7dee2 08-14-2024 09:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
While Perk’s is getting some paint on the front clip, I’m mocking up our fuel line plumbing at the back of the car. As mentioned earlier, the new rear exhaust hanger bar is handy to mount the fuel filter. Our fuel tank is still wearing the cover Mrs. 7dee2 made to protect the powder-coated finish.

7dee2 08-18-2024 07:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Our frontend bits and pieces are also in primer. :)

KevinK7 08-18-2024 08:43 AM

Getting closer. It's gonna be nice to see those parts getting bolted back on, ...for the final time :) Looks great Brett ; )

7dee2 08-21-2024 09:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it.

I decided a while ago that I needed to learn how to make PTFE AN fuel line for this and future projects. It didn’t go well initially, ruined a few fittings, and the first hose when pressure tested was garbage (dagnabit, this stuff is a little spendy! :dohh:). But hey, practice makes perfect, eventually I did get it and luckily haven’t ruined a hose since. The last pic shows two early attempts at making the short hose from the tank to the fuel filter. The one with the schrader valve fitting is a keeper.

Lost in the 60's 08-21-2024 10:12 PM

Expensive lessons usually stay with me longer....
I went thru the same thing 40 years ago, working for a bus company that all the air and fuel lines were made that way with stainless braided over rubber. A little spit on the end of the male insert goes a long way toward insertion success...;)
I learned to use duct tape when cutting the line to avoid unraveling of the jacket and steel. Place the tape so the cut is in the center of the tape width. The trick with that, is to peel it off laterally, rather than circular. Helps to keep the stray wires in place for the nut to go over easier.
I used that method for the next 38 years on my own semi repairs.

7dee2 08-25-2024 07:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ain't that the truth! You know, insertion success has always been a personal goal of mine! :baa:

Paint update, the hood is looking great!

69cam 08-25-2024 10:23 AM

Dang that looks sharp!

7dee2 08-28-2024 09:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks 69cam!

The frontend bits are done and ready to take home. The fenders and header panel are soaking up some rays before the emblems get installed. Perk’s Customs is doing a killer job! :ito:

CAMAROBOY68SS 08-30-2024 08:41 PM

that hood looks awesome! I have always loved the stinger hood and that stripe has always been the icing on the cake for it, just sets it off and adds to the mean look that it has. Does that hood just have the "scoop" area blanked out or does it also accept the Corvette insert that they had on the OEM hoods?

7dee2 09-01-2024 07:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks, it’s just blacked out. I thought the same thing and even borrowed a used OE 67 Vette Stinger Insert from a buddy of mine. We found the scoop stamping is not an exact match for the insert, plus the inner structure creates problems. So after working with Perk’s, we decided the steel hood is not very conducive to this mod. I have seen pics of this done and it appears it’s always a fiberglass hood.

Brake line plumbing on the front of the car, so far so good. The only issue is the front of the intermediate rear brake line (2 pc line) is not cooperating. As expected, I have to bend the lines around a little as my Inline Tube conversion kit (link) is for power disc brakes. They don’t make one for a manual disc brake conversion so some adjustments were expected. https://www.inlinetube.com/products/ccb6768

Before painting the rear exhaust hanger and while I had the exhaust/tank temporarily installed. One last look at the fuel filter with the short hose installed was in order. The rear brake hose spacing to the exhaust is much better than before and I’m satisfied it will function without any heat issues. I ended up replacing one (L) and shortened (R) the other and then reshaped both rear diff brake lines.

72 tigger 09-01-2024 08:45 AM

Both the paint and brake lines look great!
I appreciate and respect your attention to detail

CAMAROBOY68SS 09-02-2024 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 9337967)
Thanks, it’s just blacked out. I thought the same thing and even borrowed a used OE 67 Vette Stinger Insert from a buddy of mine. We found the scoop stamping is not an exact match for the insert, plus the inner structure creates problems. So after working with Perk’s, we decided the steel hood is not very conducive to this mod. I have seen pics of this done and it appears it’s always a fiberglass hood.

thanks for the indo. Thats good to know, Ive always wondered that about the insert, but never have had a Camaro with a stinger hood but its been in the back of my head if I ever go another 67 to stick one on it over the SS hood or a Cowl.

7dee2 09-04-2024 08:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9337972)
Both the paint and brake lines look great!
I appreciate and respect your attention to detail

Thank you Kirk, I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9338297)
thanks for the indo. Thats good to know, Ive always wondered that about the insert, but never have had a Camaro with a stinger hood but its been in the back of my head if I ever go another 67 to stick one on it over the SS hood or a Cowl.

Glad you brought it up, I think that’s a cool mod for this style of hood.

Most of the front clip is back home with all the badges installed. These pics don’t do justice, this stuff looks so good! I do have a slightly crooked S on the right fender. Hard to see in the pictures but the Chevrolet script on the header needs to be bent a little to follow the contour of the panel. Both will be easy fixes later, Perks Customs continues doing an excellent job. :metal:

Lost in the 60's 09-04-2024 11:38 AM

Could you use a micro file and elongate the holes slightly to tilt the letter in the correct orientation ? I've done this with some of my "tweaks", as long as the emblem still covers the hole.

7dee2 09-08-2024 08:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Yes exactly, you've read my mind. :)

The hood followed the next day. All these nice pretty panels are a huge motivation to get this car done.

KevinK7 09-09-2024 08:17 AM

The 'icing' on the cake, ...the emblems really look good on there. You're getting close Brett ;)

7dee2 09-11-2024 09:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks Kevin, I do like how this hood has turned out (with the Baldwin Motion look). :ito:

The front brake calipers are installed, I'm not a big fan of the spliced rubber lines (H672), but it is what it is. Also, more fuel line routing while the exhaust was still mocked up. Placed blue tape with dots where I want to drill for the fuel line saddle clamps. I'll drop the exhaust out of the way to continue the installation.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/h672

KevinK7 09-11-2024 12:33 PM

Brett,
I hear ya' on the caliper lines. The conversion kits are '69 style calipers/hoses, and when putting them on '67/'68 they don't exactly route the best. I'm still surprised nobody came out with a set of hoses to work better on 67/68...

7dee2 09-15-2024 08:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
That's the truth! :agree:

Hooray, I've pulled the mockup motor and exhaust for the last time! I bought this cherry picker add-on tool to help me wrestle hoods, fingers are crossed that this works if I get the guts to try it. Ran it up as high as it would go to see if I could hang our extra hood on the wall. It's just shy and a bit too Hari-Kari, I think. :splat:

7dee2 09-18-2024 09:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got something going on the doors, they both needed some left-over paint/mask removed and a sound deadener treatment. I'll wait until they are hung and apply cavity wax before the final build-out.

7dee2 09-22-2024 08:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here’s a look at the OE tail lights we have, red overspray and all. :lol: The plan is to restore the tins and replace the rest. I'm also working on speedo cable routing (unique for a Muncie) with a right-side speedo gear. The last pic illustrates the 2 types of right and left routing.

CAMAROBOY68SS 09-24-2024 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 9342499)
Here’s a look at the OE tail lights we have, red overspray and all. :lol: The plan is to restore the tins and replace the rest. I'm also working on speedo cable routing (unique for a Muncie) with a right-side speedo gear. The last pic illustrates the 2 types of right and left routing.

looking good, make sure the socket plug area is really clean. Also if your original blub sockets were good, I would reuse them. I have not found a good aftermarket socket yet that holds the bulb properly and would ground like originals with my 68. I have the added headache of my car being a RS so all 4 bulbs are brake/tail.

7dee2 09-25-2024 09:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks, our wiring is a real mess and will be completely replaced with American Autowire Factory Fit harnesses. We’ll hang onto the old wiring until I’m sure I don’t need anything, I've heard the taillights can be a real pain.

Our Moser diff needs a breather, so I grabbed this stuff from NAPA. I mentioned the rear diff covers earlier and here’s the lineup. I thought about running the ET cover (middle) with a Motion sticker but in the end the Mr. Gasket won out. I like them all but with a built drain plug, and you don’t see the Mr. Gasket as much. Too bad the slightly deeper Tanks fuel tank we're using will hide most of this view.

7dee2 09-29-2024 08:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Taillight tins after a very light media blast, then chrome-type paint (going for bright taillights) on the inner, followed by dull aluminum on the outer.

7dee2 10-02-2024 09:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The intermediate brake lines line up well enough now to be bolted to the brake pressure regulator valve. That’s a win, the rear piece had to be bent around the subframe connecter making it slightly shorter. At the same time, the front piece was not happy with our manual MC setup. I ended up ordering a new 69 intermediate line and used the front piece with minor tweaking to make this finally work. https://www.inlinetube.com/products/ccb69m2

I get to refit the taillights with the tins this time, oops! But hey, it’s looking mean with those blue raccoon eyes. :lol:

7dee2 10-06-2024 08:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Bending, trimming, hammering, and I tell what, they are going fit by golly! :sumo:

joesscamaro 10-09-2024 08:41 AM

I've been gone a while. It's good to see all of this progress! The car is looking really good.

7dee2 10-09-2024 09:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you Joe.

Tail light housings are now seated with the inner tins on, the rear exhaust hanger is painted and reinstalled, and fuel line plumbing has made a little more progress.

7dee2 10-13-2024 08:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
As of now, our brake line octopi at the master cylinder is finished. When the wheel well comes back into play some lines still need to be made to a line loc. After trying some cheapo gaskets on the taillights, I found that they're not great and will undoubtedly leak. Ordered up some new molded ones coming from AMD (Classic Headquarters) that are more like the factory originals. Next up, started working on the firewall insulation by pulling the master cylinder, etc., etc.

KevinK7 10-13-2024 09:08 AM

Looking great Brett! definitely starting to come together! :)
And yes, those taillight bezel seals really needed to be 'compressed' to seal up against the rearpanel.

In no way trying to divert from your thread!, But I was just informed from a friend, a 68 I restored is now on BAT. Seems bittersweet, surreal...
Again, not trying to sidetrack, just thought another 'Camaro guy' would be interested :)
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...omments-anchor

CAMAROBOY68SS 10-14-2024 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 9346784)
Looking great Brett! definitely starting to come together! :)
And yes, those taillight bezel seals really needed to be 'compressed' to seal up against the rearpanel.

In no way trying to divert from your thread!, But I was just informed from a friend, a 68 I restored is now on BAT. Seems bittersweet, surreal...
Again, not trying to sidetrack, just thought another 'Camaro guy' would be interested :)
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...omments-anchor

Thats a really nice 68 big block car in a rare color. Not often do you see the early 68 RS grille since that chrome wore off so fast. My 68 needs to have that grille (march built car) but just never wanted to really swap it since the current one is a original later replacement piece in perfect shape.

7dee2 10-16-2024 09:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you Kevin. Oh yes, what a beautiful high optioned 68, I’m sure that car was hard to part with. Your restoration of the car is holding up nicely as well.

Firewall insulation will take a minute, trimming a little at a time. Ha, patience is key because I want to throw it in the trash. :lol:
As a distraction, I finished assembling the front seats (tracks, knobs, and such), and put them on a table on top of a table to get the seats up off the floor.

KevinK7 10-16-2024 02:15 PM

...gotta love the white accent band in the '67 deluxe seats, they look great!! (as or course does the rest of the car :) )

joesscamaro 10-16-2024 03:11 PM

For your fuel line clamps...do you have a picture of what you're using? Are you using self-tapper screws directly to sheetmetal or welding studs and simply using a nut to secure?

CAMAROBOY68SS 10-16-2024 11:45 PM

The finished seats look great, yeah I love the accent band the 67 deluxe covers had just sets off the interior.

7dee2 10-20-2024 08:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 9347661)
...gotta love the white accent band in the '67 deluxe seats, they look great!! (as or course does the rest of the car :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9347746)
The finished seats look great, yeah I love the accent band the 67 deluxe covers had just sets off the interior.

Thanks, I appreciate it you guys! I thought keeping the black-and-white thing going with just a splash of red here and there would make for a sharp combination. Also, inheriting the interior kit over 10 years ago with the original project car played a part as well! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesscamaro (Post 9347668)
For your fuel line clamps...do you have a picture of what you're using? Are you using self-tapper screws directly to sheetmetal or welding studs and simply using a nut to secure?

Yes (see the link below), if memory serves, they’re #8 or #10? x1/2” stainless steel self-tapping screws. The install procedure has been to mark the location, drill, tap, and just prior to the final install a dab of paint in the hole. Not planning on this car ever really seeing much weather.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005R927IC...fed_asin_title

A few of these will be used as well where needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L49Y9LM...sin_title&th=1

The closest I could find to replacement moisture wicks (some of mine were missing) were those from Corvette Central. A little shorter than the original but I think they’ll do just fine. 2nd pic shows them installed with the crappy foam gaskets I had originally. The new molded taillight gaskets arrived and are much better.

https://www.corvettecentral.com/58-7...-pieces-491311

https://www.autometaldirect.com/tail...r-67-68-camaro