The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 01-07-2012 12:33 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5094323)
The seats look excellent in the truck!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5094380)
those seats look sweeeet! they compliment the truck nicely

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 5094587)
Wow those seats look awsome!!! They should work just fine for me...I'll be over to pick them up on Monday....lol

Thanks, I was waiting for you to show up. Since you didn't I'll keep them. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5094595)
:thud:OH My, I am so jealous.. Great build... You never post to many pics.. There are thoes of us that are living out our dream in your truck build. we need the encouragement we see in your build to keep us going. I do believe a lot of us here could do a better job if things were different.. thier not so we live out our dream through you and your build. We bow to your expertise and skill...:metal::flag:

Thanks and your way to kind. ;) I'm not all that, but have a little more experience than most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5094929)
Love the seats, but with ME sitting on them in my truck :haha:
All kidding aside, will you upholster the door panels with some hounds tooth inserts?

Thanks, and no on the door panels. I'm painting them silver for now to match the gauges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardahl (Post 5095000)
WOW !!! I just read (most of the story), what perseverance ! Great work Alan, thanks for sharing. I cannot wait to hear/see you driving your truck to a show !!

Thanks, and I hope to be in a show this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 5095219)
Those seats really do look great mounted in their new home. Who is that puppy in the window with that great big smile? :haha:

Thanks, and I don't know who that guy is. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5096253)
nice, love the seats, i guess your ready for a test drive. actually i guess you are getting real close to driving it arnt you?

Thanks and it is getting closer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5096421)
:haha:Alan, No didn't get any pics of the 66. I was busy at the time, LOL besides I probably wouldn't have been able to hold the camera still.. LOL:haha::five::ennyd:

:haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5099107)
Those seats turned out great. Great material choice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5099598)
Love the seats, nice job!

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by awbrown (Post 5106634)
Getting it in a magazine is no problem.. I have a friend that did an article on an engine I built ,he gets published all the time .. When its done give me a shout and I will hook you up.....

I will definately keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5106651)
Dude !!
When I got to the pic of you sitting in the truck my first thought was...
"What the heck is he doing?? Hes gonna get finger prints all over his work!!"

:haha:

All kidding aside.... the most important question about your seats.

Are they comfy?

If you were to see it in person, you'd see how dirty it really is. They are pretty comfortable, just need a little more cab room so I can lay them back a little more.

Got my DOT5 brake fluid in yesterday. Getting ready to bench bleed (on the truck) and bleed the system. I wonder how many leaks I will have?

57truckguy 01-07-2012 01:35 AM

May I suggest only as a word of caution to have a water hose handy when bench bleeding the master cylcinder in the truck, Ask me why ?????:waah:

likaroc13 01-07-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5106692)
Thanks, and I hope to be in a show this year.

Thanks and it is getting closer.

you know, i was just thinking...you better apply the brakes and go really slow from here on out, weening yourself off this build before it's completed....otherwise you might have withdrawals or get all depressed on us (j/k)....but seriously, it's gonna feel funny when there's "nothing" else to do....that's when i'll drop mine off for you to tinker with ;) ....many of us here have had the privilege of watching your build, but it's gonna be fun to relax, hit up some shows, and unveil your precious gem to the rest of the world

Alan's Classic 01-07-2012 02:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5106781)
May I suggest only as a word of caution to have a water hose handy when bench bleeding the master cylcinder in the truck, Ask me why ?????:waah:

:haha: I was more than carefull. Dot 5 doesn't attack paint like DOT3 does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5106863)
you know, i was just thinking...you better apply the brakes and go really slow from here on out, weening yourself off this build before it's completed....otherwise you might have withdrawals or get all depressed on us (j/k)....but seriously, it's gonna feel funny when there's "nothing" else to do....that's when i'll drop mine off for you to tinker with ;) ....many of us here have had the privilege of watching your build, but it's gonna be fun to relax, hit up some shows, and unveil your precious gem to the rest of the world

I've thought about that. There will always be something to do to it. ;) It will be nice to drive it tho.

Got the brakes almost bled. I used my vacumn pump and gravity to get it done. I want someone to pump the pedal and do a final bleed. I had a couple minor leaks and tightened easily since the threads had oil in them. i heard of nite mares of sealing up SS brake lines. So far so good.

NOTE: Don't mix DOT5 with anything other types of brake fluid.

McMurphy 01-07-2012 04:32 PM

Nice!
I was going to ask if you had primed your brake lines first.
I probably would have used a large syringe and pushed fluid from the top out, but seems sucking it in with a vacuum pump would do the same trick!

Why did you go with the DOT 5, any particular reason? It is better for the SS lines?

TimE 01-08-2012 01:40 AM

Wow! Finally all caught back up and all I can say is, Alan, you are the man!! Great job!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 01-08-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5107687)
Nice!
I was going to ask if you had primed your brake lines first.
I probably would have used a large syringe and pushed fluid from the top out, but seems sucking it in with a vacuum pump would do the same trick!

Why did you go with the DOT 5, any particular reason? It is better for the SS lines?

Here is a link to the pros and cons of DOT3 and 5. http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html I tried to copy it here, but couldn't. The main reason is it will not harm paint. If my MC ever leaked it wouldn't ruin the paint on the firewall and frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimE (Post 5108870)
Wow! Finally all caught back up and all I can say is, Alan, you are the man!! Great job!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Tim. Glad to see ya back at it.

57truckguy 01-08-2012 11:03 PM

I wasn't thinking about eating the paint only the mess oil on new paint can be. Ask me how I know LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 01-09-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5110742)
I wasn't thinking about eating the paint only the mess oil on new paint can be. Ask me how I know LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, you said it. How do you know? :haha:
Posted via Mobile Device

57truckguy 01-10-2012 01:16 AM

Well how about having to repaint an entire fender the underside of the hood half of the fire wall , interfender, frame and part of the engine because I forgot to cover the master cylinder and pumped the brakes one time.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Alan's Classic 01-11-2012 12:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5113234)
Well how about having to repaint an entire fender the underside of the hood half of the fire wall , interfender, frame and part of the engine because I forgot to cover the master cylinder and pumped the brakes one time.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I remeber the first time bench bleeding one. It got kind of messy. :haha:

Got a little painting done today. I painted the grill, headlight rings, trim panels and turn signal housings. I also had to repaint the glove box door.

57truckguy 01-11-2012 01:57 AM

great work alan.. again...

Alan's Classic 01-11-2012 09:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5115577)
great work alan.. again...

:thumbs:

I had to respray the door trim panels. I used a new clear today that dries in 20 minutes with no heat. It really lays out nice. It's great for small jobs. If I remember right it is Deltron DSC 2000. They also have a 3000 and 4000. To my knowledge so far the 3000 dries a little slower and the 4000 is really slow.

I installed the trim panels and was hoping to check the doors off the list as being done. Then I discovered I can't find or hadn't ordered the inside door handle.

protrash64 01-11-2012 09:54 PM

Looks super nice Alan!!:metal: I also have to give you :thumbs: on the seats; killer.

I'm sanding the 'burb roof, care to join me??:lol:

likaroc13 01-11-2012 10:10 PM

^^ i agree, looks nice!

McMurphy 01-11-2012 10:33 PM

Did you add the p-side arm rest?
I was noticing on a lot of these trucks, only the driver got them. I remember on the one we had when I was a kid being a tad perturbed because I didnt have an arm rest to .... well .... rest my arm on!
My truck doesnt have it, and I will be adding it.

Why did you have to repaint your glovebox door by the way?

65Custom 01-12-2012 07:01 PM

Looking good !!!!

Alan's Classic 01-13-2012 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 5117199)
Looks super nice Alan!!:metal: I also have to give you :thumbs: on the seats; killer.

I'm sanding the 'burb roof, care to join me??:lol:

Thanks and are you sure you want to share to fun of blocking a long roof? :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5117248)
^^ i agree, looks nice!

Thanks buddy!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5117309)
Did you add the p-side arm rest?
I was noticing on a lot of these trucks, only the driver got them. I remember on the one we had when I was a kid being a tad perturbed because I didnt have an arm rest to .... well .... rest my arm on!
My truck doesnt have it, and I will be adding it.

Why did you have to repaint your glovebox door by the way?

The truck came with them. Do custom cabs always have them? Mine is a custom cab.

I had to repaint the glove box due to memory loss. ;) I used BC/CC on the inside of the cab because it's easier for me to get everything covered. i generally have a problem getting the edges covered. When I sprayed the glove box door the first time it fried up on me. Well 2 years later I finally spray it with the bed. I did the outside in single stage. It wasn't a perfect match. That's why I had to redo it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 5119050)
Looking good !!!!

:thumbs:

Got the glove box door hung, but discovered the stricker is MIA. I guess I will just make one since they aren't available. I thought I might could use one of my old cab thinking the striker would be the same from the Impala to a truck. It wasn't there. Looks like the hole pattern is the same. I'll figure out something. I'd like to see what it's suppose to look like.

C@rnut001 01-13-2012 01:01 AM

That dash and glove box door sure are looking good! Keep it going together and we will keep cheering you on!

flips72 01-13-2012 02:39 PM

looks great allen, all i can say is your the man:metal:i know i have said this before but that dash is sweet.

57truckguy 01-14-2012 11:33 AM

Alan the stricker is only a small piece of medal with a raised portion in it to catch the "button" . I looked at a friends of mine and his looks just like the one on my 57.

shortbed70 01-16-2012 08:10 AM

Man I haven't checked in forever,looks like its moving along nicely! Also I have become a big fan of speed clear you can do colision damage/spot repairs in one day vs having to wait 24 hours to sand and buff... Looking good Alan!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 01-16-2012 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by C@rnut001 (Post 5119914)
That dash and glove box door sure are looking good! Keep it going together and we will keep cheering you on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5120744)
looks great allen, all i can say is your the man:metal:i know i have said this before but that dash is sweet.

Thanks guys!! :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5122326)
Alan the stricker is only a small piece of medal with a raised portion in it to catch the "button" . I looked at a friends of mine and his looks just like the one on my 57.

I think I found something that will work. Thanks for the help. I will post pics if it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5126140)
Man I haven't checked in forever,looks like its moving along nicely! Also I have become a big fan of speed clear you can do colision damage/spot repairs in one day vs having to wait 24 hours to sand and buff... Looking good Alan!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for checking in and the comments. That clear is amazing for small jobs like you said.

I resprayed the inner fenders, radiator support, head light mount panel and cowl screen.

flips72 01-16-2012 09:22 PM

looks great, i cant make up my mind about the inner fenders and rad. support not sure if i want to go with body color or black.man you and 198 have this stuff down pat.:metal:

57truckguy 01-17-2012 02:50 AM

Hello Alan,, LOL you respray more than I've ever sprayed... LOL:lol::lol: